• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Opeth Album Sorceress out September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

I'll be seeing them live in October. Last time was in spring 2009 following the release of Watershed, so I'm really looking forward to see how the most recent albums sound like on stage.

The Heritage tour was honestly my favorite time seeing them. They played the shit out of those songs live.

Ok, I've listened this new album enough times to say this has to be the first one where I've been pretty close to feel disappointed.

At the end, it's a good album, but that's it: good (with no extra positive comments).

Overall, I like some acoustic mellow parts here and there, some vocals here and there and some riffs here and there, but none of the songs, not a single one really stand on its own, sadly.

The weird thing for me was that I didn't care that much for Will O the Wisp when it was released as a promo, but know it's maybe my fav track, and Sorceress, which I really loved it, know has faded and I consider it just ok. The chugga chugga riff that almost everyone hated, well I liked it at first, now I hate it too. You guys were right, it's awful, something you would expect from a novice guitar player that it's trying to sound badass and failing miserably at it. What in the hell Akerfeldt and the rest were thinking when they decided to keep it? I don't have a single clue. Opeth is capable of something much much better.

So... considering Opeth post growl era, for me Heritage is by a huge margin their best album, hell... Heritage is among my top 3 ever. I know most fans don't like it, but I'm sure when Opeth stops existing as a band, when looking at their entire catalog, Heritage will be praised as a monumental creative effort.

Pale Communion is pretty damn good with that perfect blend of mellow yet sinister melodies.

Sorceress in the other hand will be looked at like an uninspired album. A really weak effort, sadly.

You know what? yeah... I'm disappointed at this.

Anyone know what their live setlists look like these days? Seeing them next week. My favorite albums are probably Deliverance/Ghost Reveries/Morningrise. I know they largely dropped the harsh vocals in albums, but how about touring? One of the things I always loved about the band was the contrast between the two types.

pablito

Anyone know what their live setlists look like these days? Seeing them next week. My favorite albums are probably Deliverance/Ghost Reveries/Morningrise. I know they largely dropped the harsh vocals in albums, but how about touring? One of the things I always loved about the band was the contrast between the two types.

I remember searching setlist.fm. The most recent show I could find with an actual setlist listed was December of last year, and they did songs with harsh vocals then. I'm seeing them next month so I'm hoping for some older songs too. Not a fan of Sorceress or the previous 2, so only that material would be super disappointing.

I know their music isn't really the same anymore, but I'm back on a "Bleak" binge again. Fucking hell that song is amazing.

Yea, that's all I want. An album that's like bleaks clean vocal parts. I mean, if Mike really REALLY is done with growls, than go blackwater park or ghost reveries type of songs but all clean vocals.

Edit; forgot to say bleak is so fucking awesome

Edit; the album is definetly top 3 for me. Just an amazing album. Every track, especially harvest drapery falls, which is probably top 3 song for me for sure.

Cetra

As a huge Opeth fan... I'm not feeling this album - even a little bit. It's just boring to listen to. Which suunds weird as hell when talking about an Operh album.

Xilo

Will o the Wisp is one of my favorite Opeth songs. Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands, and this is just Opeth writing a JT song.

Altazor

As a huge Opeth fan... I'm not feeling this album - even a little bit. It's just boring to listen to. Which suunds weird as hell when talking about an Operh album.

funnily enough (and because I'm apparently weird) I'm liking this one better than Pale Communion so far. Like, a lot more.

And I've given Pale Communion chance after chance and, except for a couple of songs, I just cannot connect with it (not even Moon Above Sun Below, which everyone seems to love and I find it a disjointed boring mess). Somehow I'm finding Sorceress a bit more memorable, or it speaks to me a bit more, I dunno.

EDIT: One of the problems with post-growl Opeth (and it was starting to get evident with Watershed, actually...) is the lack of interesting/memorable vocal melodies. It seems Mikael is just holding notes and for the sake of it, nothing really "sticks".

This album might end up being more divisive than harvest. I haven't listened to it in a while though tbh and I don't really have any urge or desire to go back

I'll probably give this a listen. They used to be my favourite band and it pains me to say I'm not really excited for any new releases from them. Man, Still Life was legendary.

bounchfx

listened to it about 7 times so far. I already like it better than heritage/pale communion, at least as far as having memorable songs (despite a few outliers) and as an album. It's not incredible but its a damn solid listen, with my favorite track being wilde flowers. I'm not sure how often i'll return to it in the future though.

what this has inspired me to do, though, was give heritage and pale communion another chance, will probably do each 3x more to see if they've grown on me

Indelible

This album is definitely better than Heritage and Pale Communion, they have finally found the right balance between heavy and soft with this Prog Rock sound they are going for.

This album is definitely better than Heritage and Pale Communion, they have finally found the right balance between heavy and soft with this Prog Rock sound they are going for.
Eh. Too bad they sacrificed interesting song writing to achieve it which I think is far more valuable.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This might be my favorite Opeth album because it's just so interesting, every song is just so weird and unique. I'm getting serious flash backs to another album that I love, Diamond Head's Canterbury.

Sure it doesn't sound like their other stuff but you know what I think I've generally outgrown that sound and I rarely go back to listen to stuff like that. Since I mostly listen to Devin Townsend now a days this album really felt like it was right up my alley.

The composition on all of these tracks is just so vibrant and interesting. The songs transition from world music to folkish sounding to bordering on jazz fusion to almost 80s heavy metal to prog metal to slow and relaxing acoustic sessions.

The vocals are just sublime too, especially in Chrysalis which is easily one of the standout tracks for me in that album.

Sorceress easily steals the show though as the stand out track. But even songs like the seventh sojourn are just awesome for their contrasting sound.and then you've got the really 80s metal sounding tracks like a fleeting glance which are just so refreshing to be heard with opeth's awesome composition.

Honestly I just love this album's sound.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Feels like some light rock Opeth they'd play in some European Abby cause it can't too hard or else it'll summon the Devil.

RDreamer

It's warming up to me, but I still think it might be my least favorite of the last three. Listened to all three yesterday and I'd probably put Pale Communion at the top with Heritage a hair behind. Sorceress is a bit behind them.

I think my main problem seems to be the verses actually. I think a lot of the choruses throughout the album are pretty great, but the verse structures and riffs are so... how to describe it.. stop and start, or 'chuggy'

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sadly there was no digital download code packed with the limited picture LP. Double dip it is. :/

Why the Hell isn't "the Ward" on the main cd? Such an awesome track.

Gray Matter

Listening to it now, first time and holy shit, sorceress 2 (terrible name lol) is a great track.

Will give my final opinion when I'm done with the album.

I remember searching setlist.fm. The most recent show I could find with an actual setlist listed was December of last year, and they did songs with harsh vocals then. I'm seeing them next month so I'm hoping for some older songs too. Not a fan of Sorceress or the previous 2, so only that material would be super disappointing.

Pittsburgh show last night was rather good. Here's the list from setlist.fm:

Sorceress (Live debut)
The Wilde Flowers (Live debut)
Ghost of Perdition
Demon of the Fall
Face of Melinda
In My Time of Need
Will O the Wisp
Eternal Rains Will Come
The Drapery Falls
The Devil's Orchard
Hex Omega
Encore:
Deliverance

The biggest tease was them playing ~30 seconds of Master's Apprentices. What a rotten trick.

Anyway here's a video of Ghost of Perdition (can't believe they played this, my favorite song of theirs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXJZIgqX6s

(I know some people on here hate recorded concert songs, but I love sharing them and seeing others' videos, and I actually do watch them :p)

Gray Matter

Ok, done with my first listen, and I'm very surprised that I actually enjoyed it. My guess is that going in with such low expectations that I had, I ended up liking it, but I don't think so, it's actually very good. 10x better than heritage and PC. There were a song or 2 that didn't click (will O the wisp I dislike a lot) but overall is a very good album, again, very surprised that I enjoyed it.

Highlight songs for me

Sorceress 2
The ward
The seventh sojourn
Strange brew

Manu

I admit the album has grown on me on further listens. I still think it pretty much falls of a cliff on the second half, but the first half is really solid. Wilde Flowers, Will o' The Wisp and Chrysalis are great tracks, especially Chrysalis. I still think that song is what 'Opeth goes 70s!' should sound like. Sounds like a proggier The Lotus Eater or something.

I still wouldn't call the whole album great, or good for that matter, but there's a solid first half worth listening in there.

This album is great. I think Opeth is one of those bands in which you can simply get behind almost anything

Oh man, the strings in The Seventh Sojourn.

Einhander

"The Ward" is an incredible song. I adore it. <3 It sounds like 70s classic rock, with a powerful chorus. I almost don't want to listen to the rest of the album because that song hit the mark for me.

Taelus

"The Ward" is an incredible song. I adore it. <3 It sounds like 70s classic rock, with a powerful chorus. I almost don't want to listen to the rest of the album because that song hit the mark for me.

It reminded me of a song from a Persona game.

I plan to get this in the next few weeks. I've been hooked on the Doom soundtrack and new Metallica song recently so trying to give Opeth some room to breathe, though Meshuggah is coming soon...

Toxi

Banned
Bought it, gave it a listen. I like it, don't love it outside of a few songs like Chrysalis and .Will-o-the-wisp. I think it's just hard for me to get used to the style since I haven't picked up the other recent Opeth albums; it'll probably grow on me with more listens.

My dad also listened to it, and it's his favorite Opeth album from those I own, which again indicates it's mostly a style thing.

Pittsburgh show last night was rather good. Here's the list from setlist.fm:

Sorceress (Live debut)
The Wilde Flowers (Live debut)
Ghost of Perdition
Demon of the Fall
Face of Melinda
In My Time of Need
Will O the Wisp
Eternal Rains Will Come
The Drapery Falls
The Devil's Orchard
Hex Omega
Encore:
Deliverance

The biggest tease was them playing ~30 seconds of Master's Apprentices. What a rotten trick.

Anyway here's a video of Ghost of Perdition (can't believe they played this, my favorite song of theirs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXJZIgqX6s

(I know some people on here hate recorded concert songs, but I love sharing them and seeing others' videos, and I actually do watch them :p)

Seeing them tonight in Montreal. Checked out the setlist from previous towns and it looks the same.

I like to record a song or two while attending a show. Will probably film Demon of the Fall and The Drapery Falls :p

Gray Matter

Seeing how great their setlist is, I wish I made the sacrifice (financially) to go see them.

Hopefully they tour North America again sometime next year.

Enjoyed Montreal's show last night, but didn't think it was mind-blowing. Thought the setlist was a little on the safe side. Would've preferred more songs from Sorceress and/or more obscure songs.

Then again maybe I got spoiled from Steven Wilson, who's always playing the whole album he's touring for in the first act, and then the rest in the second half.

The setlist was more interesting back in 2009 for their Watershed tour. Anyway, recorded Demon of the Fall and Face of Melinda. The crowd was great.

Demon of the Fall
Face of Melinda

Both The Ward and Spring MCMLXXIV are damn fantastic songs, it's so weird to see them as bonus tracks.

The Ward vocals have a strong Yes influence. I smile just remembering :), Spring is chill as hell, I love the overall musical tone of the song.

The album has grown more on me, but still I don't think it's among best Opeth creations.

Kaladin

14657296_10154644230828410_8871357133456423699_n.jpg

Damn good debut week for a band like Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom