• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Radiohead album available Sunday, May 8th at 7pm BST, new song "Daydreaming"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with TKOL is that the stuff where they tried to do something very different (Bloom, Little By Little, Morning Mr Magpie, Feral) just wasn't very good. These two new songs are different and have easily surpassed those four.

But Bloom is awesome. MMM is good. Not a fan of LbL though. Feral would make a good B-Side.

Oli

My problem with TKOL is that the stuff where they tried to do something very different (Bloom, Little By Little, Morning Mr Magpie, Feral) just wasn't very good. These two new songs are different and have easily surpassed those four.

I agree, but I see TKOL as more of a technical feat than an album I enjoy returning to. Watching them perform it live solidified that. It does feel genuinely different from anything I've heard.

I really like these two new songs though and I can see myself going back to them again and again. They do not feel revolutionary or especially unique, but they are solid for sure.

Tenebrous

But Lotus Flower was the song that promoted the album. Who knows? BTW/Daydreaming could be the Lotus Flower on TKOL v2.0.

Ok, let's get this straight. We got new Death Grips, James Blake, Civil War Radiohead, Uncharted 4, and Chance 3 all within a week of eachother. I really don't understand what more a human being could ask for.

TKOL was them trying new studio stuff and the material was perfected as a band live, which makes the album a bit disappointing. The album is just a bit spare and lacking a cohesive band feel except on a few tracks. TKOL live is my favorite tour by far, those songs are just bewitching in a live scenario.

This song has aspects of TKOL techniques in terms of repetition and looping, but feels much more collaborative and dense. Its obvious (and stated) that TKOL was a transition album and this is what they've really been working towards stylistically.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Ok, let's get this straight. We got new Death Grips, James Blake, Civil War Radiohead, Uncharted 4, and Chance 3 all within a week of eachother. I really don't understand what more a human being could ask for.
4wS1rBj.gif

NotLiquid

Recently split up with his partner of 20-so years.

I wonder how that's going to affect the music on this album. Kid A was a product of the band's mental state at that time, particularly Thom who had a mental breakdown. If this album is going to be as emotionally influenced it might just hold a similar effect.

Tenebrous

I wonder how that's going to affect the music on this album. Kid A was a product of the band's mental state at that time, particularly Thom who had a mental breakdown. If this album is going to be as emotionally influenced it might just hold a similar effect.

Perhaps. Vulnicura is the benchmark for recent breakdown albums.

I couldn't really listen to the last album because of the terrible drum machines. One of the new songs is all drum machine and the other has no drums at all.

cabot

Feels like Daydreaming is coming from a dark place.

Also, based off the tone of this and feel that this album is going to be about failed relationships (and i'm sure very heavily political), could this be the album where we get True Love Waits?

Holy shit this is just an absurd week for music, like Jesus this year has been stacked.

With stuff like Crystal Castles, The Strokes, NIN, the Kills, RTJ3, another Kanye album etc all coming hopefully this year too I'm drowning in awesome stuff.

Bloom almost hits Weird Fishes levels live, absolutely adore that song.

Magpie has grown on me a lot over the last few years.

Griss

Took a break from work and drove home to listen to this a couple of times instead of going to lunch.

As underwhelmed as I was by burn the witch I am as mind blown by this masterpiece.

Roll on Sunday...

dmshaposv

It is a beautiful song, but a bit expected and something out of Kid A/Amnesiac era.

I actually prefer Burn the Witch more as its string arrangements and lyrics alluded to a much more interesting territory.

Ethelwulf

It is a beautiful song, but a bit expected and something out of Kid A/Amnesiac era.

I actually prefer Burn the Witch more as its string arrangements and lyrics alluded to a much more interesting territory.

It truly is something I agree. Unsettling and beautiful at the same time.

Sullichin

Holy shit this is just an absurd week for music, like Jesus this year has been stacked.

With stuff like Crystal Castles, The Strokes, NIN, the Kills, RTJ3, another Kanye album etc all coming hopefully this year too I'm drowning in awesome stuff.

Wait what new NIN??

Nine Inch Nails?? Explain yourself.

eXistor

I have to say as much of a fan I was back in the day, I kinda stopped listening to Radiohead ever since In Rainbows (my musical tastes have changed is all), but I have to say this and Burn the Witch are damn good. I have a good feeling about this album.

Also Thom Yorke should be cast as Bob in Twin Peaks based on this video.

Steamlord

This is really good. The intro sounds a whole lot like Kid A, the song. Then when the piano comes in...chills.

Also, just because this song doesn't have percussion doesn't mean there won't be any percussion on the album. Just sayin'. Though I'm hoping for a good amount of live drums in addition to drum machine stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom