• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Radiohead album available Sunday, May 8th at 7pm BST, new song "Daydreaming"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

Both these songs are amazing, getting major Kid A vibes from the song-writing (but not necessarily production). Feels like a natural progression from the 2000-2001 sessions in a way.

Due to the lack of album track listing, I choose to delude myself into thinking it's heavily guarded due to megatons included (eg: Lift, Man-o-War). I look forward to disappointing myself.

I can see Daydreaming being the second-to-last track, segueing in to an emotionally uplifting version of Lift. Won't get too hyped for the possibility though lol

denx

I'm worried myself. I want Identikit but i'm afraid the album centering around an Orchestra probably won't make the cut. I hope Open the Floodgates is in tho

Yeah, I feel like Identikit is gonna be left out sadly. :(

On the other hand, I think there's a strong chance that The Present Tense will be on this album and now backed by an orchestra.

Man I just don't get Radiohead any more. I probably say this with every album since Kid A but...I miss the rock instrumentation and such. This all sounds like a soundtrack to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or something.

Oh well...back to listening to the old stuff.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Identikit is real good, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either fitting with the rest of the album, or adjusted to fit the album.

robotrock

Banned
Identikit is real good, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either fitting with the rest of the album, or adjusted to fit the album.

If we ever hear a studio version of it I'm sure it'll be significantly reworked. I would like to see what they do with it.

GWX

Man I just don't get Radiohead any more. I probably say this with every album since Kid A but...I miss the rock instrumentation and such. This all sounds like a soundtrack to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or something.

Embrace the new, ever-changing Radiohead, man. When I first got into it, I liked The Bends and OK Computer, but then I caught a glimpse of Idioteque at random and was like "what?". But a couple of months later or so it clicked, and it all made sense to me.

zoozilla

On first listen, I'm pretty impressed with Daydreaming. Hope it holds up on repeat listens.

And man, when did Thom turn into Robert Carlyle?

Hoping to see Silent Spring, Present Tense, Identikit, Cut a Hole, Ful Stop.

Would love Big Boots, Follow Me Around, Lift but can't see them ever coming back.

Well I can't link to the tweet now obviously, but Thom did tweet a message about (I think something to do with climate change) with the phrase "Nothing short of a Ful Stop" spelled just like that too, so I'm kind of taking that as it being confirmed.

If Silent Spring or Desert Island Disk don't make it I'll be heartbroken. I fell in love with both of those songs.

I must be weird because while I have adored Lift for years and that song means a lot to me, I have absolutely no desire to hear it come back on the new album. I'd rather have all newer (as far as we know) songs like the two I mentioned or Ful Stop/Cut a Hole. I mean, look at it this way. On King of Limbs the newer (or ish) songs were Separator, Give up the Ghost, Bloom. Mr. Magpie was an old song from the OK Computer era. Wouldn't you rather have more of the new ones?

Oh, and I nearly forgot about Skirting on the Surface. My god, if that song gets a studio version on the album I honestly think it will be my favorite Radiohead song ever. I love the live versions that much. Please be there. I'll take that over any other song.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This one immediately clicked with me far more immediately more than Burn The Witch. Granted I had only given each song 1 listen before buying them and letting them sit for the weekend.

I chucked Burn The Witch on in the car earlier this morning and it all clicked so I am loving it very much. But there is something ethereal about Daydreaming and I think I will listen to it quite a lot on the drives home from work in the dark during winter. Perfect.

But it'll be good to spend to wake up on Monday morning and have a new Radiohead album.

sappyday

I hope this album is great. Nothing on KoL spoke to me. I like Burn the Witch now after a few more listens. This one is good but not much going on with it.

Yeah, it's been like 20 years at this point. You should probably move on.

I get that, but...I don't get how people who liked them back then still like them now, I guess? Is it his voice or something? 'Cause for me it was the kick ass rock n roll.

Well, personally, my musical palette is very diverse. Radiohead could turn into a country act and I'd probably find something to enjoy about it.

A lot of fans have enjoyed watching the band evolve and experiment. If they hadn't moved past The Bends, I'd find them pretty boring at this point.

Well, personally, my musical palette is very diverse. Radiohead could turn into a country act and I'd probably find something to enjoy about it.

A lot of fans have enjoyed watching the band evolve and experiment. If they hadn't moved past The Bends, I'd find them pretty boring at this point.
Same here

I like all sorts of music so I'm comfortable whereever they decide to go

rhino4evr

I get that, but...I don't get how people who liked them back then still like them now, I guess? Is it his voice or something? 'Cause for me it was the kick ass rock n roll.

Those days are long gone. Though I still think they can "rock" plenty. Have you heard mr magpie live?

i'd love to be able to download the album on Sunday without seeing the tracklist.
Listening to it the first time without knowing whats coming would be amazing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

I truly don't have a good answer for you. I jumped on to them with The Bends and have never let go.

The only time I was divisive about them was during Kid A. The only tune that really stood out for me at that time was How to Disappear Completely and so I just kind of went away for a while and played The Bends & OK Computer. It wasn't until Amnesiac was released a year later where things just seemed to click. Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out - classics. And then Like Spinning Plates just kind of made me go back to Kid A and I fell in love with that album.

Radiohead are one of those bands for me that make me understand why my father loved The Beatles as much as he did. The songs changed and moved with the times but it was a natural adaption and he was there for every single ride. He loved In My Life as much as A Day In The Life and both songs were written by the same man but are completely different in tone.

So as much as I love tracks like Street Spirit, I also equally adore stuff like Bloom. It's just a weird sensation that my favourite band for the past 20 years has held over me cause I know I am going to automatically find some gems in each album they release.

C4Lukins

I am one of those that prefers The Bends through Kid A over the last several albums. And while I miss that level of evolution or at least change, I can still enjoy 4 or 5 tracks on each album with the exception of King of Limbs.

But yeah it does not feel like an evolution. There is nothing off of Hail to the Thief or In Rainbows that feels like an evolution from OK Computer or Kid A. There is still great songs there, but you could random each track from those albums for a first time listener and I doubt they could place them on an a chart of how the band has grown.

Being said, I really like the two new singles, but there is nothing going on there that feels surprising or new. Still good, but both of those songs could be late 90's B-sides and I would not be surprised.

opoth

Banned

I think these guys probably experienced a change in musical direction around the same time I did in terms of listening between OK Computer and Kid A. Somehow the transition just worked for me right away. I like to think Music Has the Right to Children was the gamechanger for both of us.

Thom walks through the doorways signifying his daydreams. He's not a resident of any of the places he walks by, just a fleeting guest. These aren't realities after all, just figments of imagination, temporary abodes for the weary soul. By the end we see him lay down, the music faded and gone. Only his warped voice singing after his lost dreams.
I'm high as balls.

So far it looks like I'll really like this album.

Changed my mind i really like this one

Sounds like something off IR mixed with Kid A ir Amnesiac B side

Also it's a small bummer that this isnt completely fresh but it good

Thom really needs braces. Hopefully this record goes towards funding that.

But, other than that, I like the song. This album feels like its going to be more orchestral than any of their other ones, and I can only hope that it's good. I've been burned twice already by big names, so I hope Radiohead don't let me down.

hydruxo

For me, part of the appeal is Radiohead's experimentation with instruments & genres.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Daydreaming.

That's like walking up to a sad little kitten and calling it a cunt.

Good music is good music. I will say that their ever changing musical direction has introduced me to a lot of interesting stuff over the years. They're definitely responsible for my broader musical pallet.

Deeku

Good music is good music. I will say that their ever changing musical direction has introduced me to a lot of interesting stuff over the years. They're definitely responsible for my broader musical pallet.
Yep same. Shame they don't post many office charts these days.

What is Thom singing at the very end of the song?

One site has the lyrics listed as a backwards "Half of my life", but I'm not sure that its reputable. I mean, it makes sense, and depresses the hell out of me if that's true, but I just want to know.

Chinner

Banned
I hope they announce physical editions which let you download the songs... Would be unfair to have to buy this twice

Tenebrous

I hope they announce physical editions which let you download the songs... Would be unfair to have to buy this twice

Yeah I said that a few pages back. If I can buy the CD & get a cheap/free digital copy to tide me over in the short term, I'd be chuffed with that.

What is Thom singing at the very end of the song?

One site has the lyrics listed as a backwards "Half of my life", but I'm not sure that its reputable. I mean, it makes sense, and depresses the hell out of me if that's true, but I just want to know.

He recently split up with his partner of 20 odd years, so it could be half my life/half my love, and would make perfect sense, really.

robotrock

Banned

TKOL and Tomorrow's Modern Boxes offered a free digital on release download while you waited for the physical edition to arrive. I'm sure it'll happen here.

Chinner

Banned
TKOL and Tomorrow's Modern Boxes offered a free digital on release download while you waited for the physical edition to arrive. I'm sure it'll happen here.
They did the same for In Rainbows.

I hope the special edition is good as the discbox for In Rainbows... Great thing, and the records sound legendary.

Thom really needs braces. Hopefully this record goes towards funding that.

what he needs is new stylists. why did they dress him up like a teenager trying too hard to be cool in the Daydreaming video? good god did i cringe hard watching him prance around imitating Justin Bieber. what a sad state he has reached, sheesh.

song was kind of ok though, but i haven't heard a really good song from them since Dollars and Cents. i hope these two singles aren't the best the album had to offer.

Blader

what he needs is new stylists. why did they dress him up like a teenager trying too hard to be cool in the Daydreaming video? good god did i cringe hard watching him prance around imitating Justin Bieber. what a sad state he has reached, sheesh.

He was walking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom