• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Spike VGA Teaser Video For PS3 Exclusive [Troll Levels Approaching Maximum]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiegel

A new IP from the God of War team fits the SHOCKING, unbelievable, bla bla bla comments if it's a huge departure from GoW and looks amazing, which is to be expected from the team making the game. It fits the usual hyperbole that these events bring every time.

The Epic or other third party developer suggestions make no sense.

Kyoufu

A new IP from the God of War team fits the SHOCKING, unbelievable, bla bla bla comments if it's a huge departure from GoW and looks amazing,.

No it doesn't.

Sony making a game for PS3 is not shocking.

And how exactly does it fit with the "behind the scenes" comment from Geoff?

FStop7

Banned
I'm prepared for Last of Us to be Resistance 4.

The franchise is being handed from Insomniac to Sony Santa Monica.

That's my guess.

Boss Man

Man, I would love for this to be someone picking up Resistance. R:FoM had huge potential as a new IP but Insomniac buried it in a pile of COD after the first game.

I really, really doubt that's what this is though. I'll admit that the vibe from the teaser trailer matches...but eh. I just really doubt it.

Gonna stick with a new IP from Sony Santa Monica.

Don

Why does "behind the scenes" have to mean that it is from a third party studio or that it is some form of "betrayalton"? Keighley saying that he can't wait to show what has been going on behind the scenes could just be talking about how they have been working on the game for so long without anything leaking out and now they finally get to show it off.

So many people think that the shocking or unbelievable comments can only be about the developer working on it, but why can't that be in reference to how the game looks, or its content?

I'm still thinking that it's a first party title, although I have to admit that the Epic comments about them also revealing a new IP are making me think that it could end up being their title if they have entered some kind of partnership with Sony similar to the Gears deal with Microsoft.

Basch

Sony Santa Monica is working on a post-apocalyptic RPG set in the Resistance universe. You heard it here first folks.

Globox_82

Banned
Neither Cliffy or Geoff want to deny that Sony New IP and Epic NEW Ip are not the same game, aka The Last of Us. So that is suspicious.
However knowing Sony, they will never publish the game if they can't get the Ip, so once again I lean more to SSM new Ip.

Besides I have hard time seeing Geoff call Epic AMAZING amazing developer.
I know he fancies Naughty dog, Valce and Sony Santa Monica. So once again, probably SSM.

Arghhhh!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why does "behind the scenes" have to mean that it is from a third party studio or that it is some form of "betrayalton"? Keighley saying that he can't wait to show what has been going on behind the scenes could just be talking about how they have been working on the game for so long without anything leaking out and now they finally get to show it off.

But what would be shocking about such a developer working on a game in secret before announcing it?

Quoth Geoff:

'something pretty major'

- Could be anything

'A PS3 exclusive you won't believe'

- Still could be anything...

'A massive announcement that no one is going to see coming'

- OK, guess it could still refer to the game content

'I'm shocked every day that none of this has leaked out'

- Still could be in reference to the game itself

'Believe me, people will be pretty shocked when they realise what's been going on behind the scenes'

- ...this is the bit I trip up on a bit. It suggests, IMO, 'shenanigans' of some sort, not so much related to the game itself.

The Epic thing is just a suggestion. If it was Epic, it'd be kind of weird that they were teasing both together and separately. But if this is 'just' about SSM or someone making a new type of game, I think Geoff is totally pushing it with the context he's painting :p And maybe he is just for the hype...

Don

If it is a third party then who else could it really be?

It sounds like it must be a new IP of some sort. I can't tell if people saying Diablo 3, Half-Life 3, Halo and Gears are being serious, but none of those make much sense for obvious reasons.

The only third party that I think could fit is Epic, but I'm still not confident that it is them.

It is interesting to note that the Unreal tech Epic showed off that was used in GoW3 had a lot of jungles and foliage if I recall correctly. Some of what we've seen so far, presumably, of The Last of Us seems to have a heavy focus on foliage and wilderness.

Would Epic benefit from showing off how good Unreal tech can get on the PS3? Like, "hey other devs, you're doing it wrong".

The "meet the characters and see the world" stuff tells me it's either a new IP, or a reboot/remix of an old IP. I still don't think there's enough info for people to decide one way or another whether it's a Sony studio or 3rd party making it.

In any case, I'm on the hype train waving my hype flags, and smoking my hype cigar. Will rage if this is underwhelming, but that's the Hardcore Gamer's Way™.

It is interesting to note that the Unreal tech Epic showed off that was used in GoW3 had a lot of jungles and foliage if I recall correctly. Some of what we've seen so far, presumably, of The Last of Us seems to have a heavy focus on foliage and wilderness.

Would Epic benefit from showing off how good Unreal tech can get on the PS3? Like, "hey other devs, you're doing it wrong".

This is what Arkham City is for.

I'm really hyped to see what gets announced but I'm preparing myself to be extremely disappointed by the reveals. At this point it seems like Keighley has hinted at half a dozen different possibilities.

offshore

Personally, I'd like to understand why Sony would let SSM work on a brand new, unproven IP at this stage, when GoW4 makes much more sense in every conceivable way; especially as GoW is literally Sony's only bright light in the US.

dancmc

Yes....if this was 2007.

Dragon

Banned
Personally, I'd like to understand why Sony would let SSM work on a brand new, unproven IP at this stage, when GoW4 makes much more sense in every conceivable way; especially as GoW is literally Sony's only bright light in the US.

Define bright light. There are other pretty good selling IPs in Sony's hand. Uncharted 2 sold pretty much in line with GoW3 in the US for instance.

He said Sony exclusive, not PS3 exclusive, right? I mean how much of a mind blower would it be if the PS4 WAS in fact the announcement. I think when it comes to Sony leaks, most of them are hardware related, right? So PS4 not leaking before the reveal would be pretty unbelievable. And when people mentioned a bunch of developers and he basically said "Tune in", how sweet would that reveal be with a MULTIPLE title sizzle reel, or at least multiple developer. That couple with a nice low price point would be a Sony exclusive nobody saw coming or would believe...

Ricky_R

He said Sony exclusive, not PS3 exclusive, right? I mean how much of a mind blower would it be if the PS4 WAS in fact the announcement. I think when it comes to Sony leaks, most of them are hardware related, right? So PS4 not leaking before the reveal would be pretty unbelievable. And when people mentioned a bunch of developers and he basically said "Tune in", how sweet would that reveal be with a MULTIPLE title sizzle reel, or at least multiple developer. That couple with a nice low price point would be a Sony exclusive nobody saw coming or would believe...

He didn't say "game" on the teaser? If not then your theory is as valid as most in here.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This...this would be crazy. You may be on to something. Could you even imagine?

couldsuchathingbepossible.jpg
kevinbutlermindblown/jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

The VGA billboard says "PS3"

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
why im so hyped for this and i know it will be a HUGE let down.

He didn't say "game" on the teaser? If not then your theory is as valid as most in here.

"Geoff Keighley feeds the hunger as the countdown continues to the huge reveal of a PlayStation 3 exclusive title at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards, Saturday, December 10th on Spike!"

Nevermind, this was in the text description of the video. And he said it in the video. I'm an idiot. LOL

Ricky_R

"Geoff Keighley feeds the hunger as the countdown continues to the huge reveal of a PlayStation 3 exclusive title at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards, Saturday, December 10th on Spike!"

Nevermind, this was in the text description of the video. And he said it in the video. I'm an idiot. LOL

haha

Well I'm an idiot too because you hyped me jerk. ;)

Shtof

I'm prepared for Last of Us to be Resistance 4.

The franchise is being handed from Insomniac to Sony Santa Monica.

That's my guess.

lolno. Resistance franchise is basically dead. Why should Sony hand it over to their biggest and brightest studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom