• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Spike VGA Teaser Video For PS3 Exclusive [Troll Levels Approaching Maximum]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Yeah, dudebro games like Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim.

I said marketable to dudebros, not that every game at the VGA's is dudebro itself. Bioshock is my favorite franchise this gen but it can appeal to the generic shooter crowd since it's so different and they may want something new (this is a stretch though).

Elder Scrolls has gotten pretty mainstream too in the same way Lord of the Rings did. I have a friend in the military and at his base he said almost everyone there was playing Skyrim instead of MW3 which was pretty interesting.

All I'm saying is I doubt you'll ever see an on stage presentation of something like Journey there.

Dabanton

This is out there but does anyone else think it could possibly be a new Splinter Cell thats exclusive to the ps3 like Conviction was exclusive to the 360?

Something like Sam Fisher getting called back into action or a new agent trying to stop a terrorist group that weaponized the cordyceps to wipe out the citizens of the US. Or a Syphon Filter game with the same concept.

Ubisoft can't keep other companies console plans quiet i doubt they's be able to keep something like that underwraps.

Now Syphon Filter that would be a nice surprise.

Feature

Banned
New resident evil exclusive for PS3. Which would be a huge disappointment in terms of interesting surprise for me as a PS3 owner

One thing I'm amazed by in this thread are all the people saying: "Oh, if it's a new IP, then it can't be shocking and amazing!" Are you guys serious? Can you reflect back on what you're saying and see how wrong it is? If you saw one of the trailers for God of War 3 or Uncharted 3 for the first time in your life, would you seriously not be amazed by that? Or do you say that because you don't even care about games themselves and only care about drama?

Which brings me to everyone saying, "this will have to disappoint due to hyping", etc. Think about it - if this is a new SSM game, like it seems that it is, how could it possibly be unimpressive? Do you really think that people who made 3 GoW games are going to allow themselves to unveil their new game with something that looks underwhelming?

agreed 100%, hell at this point, I don't even care about the 'shocking' or 'betrayalton' or whatever hyperbole listed in this thread. I saw 'The Last of Us' teaser and it's definitely grabbed my interest and hyped.

my hype is for the game, not for the drama which seems like what's important in this thread.

The level of hype for this one is insane. Its being positioned as 'THE' big announcement of the show.

Its interesting that the VGA's are being held in a Sony property this year too.

Damn, I wonder what happened there. I know Take Two owed Sony one, so was sony to pre-mature in choosing Agent and decided to take another title or did MS step in and throw more money at Take Two again?

well Sony have gotten a bunch of exclusive stuff for Take two and rockstar stuff the last few years.

La Noire, Red Dead, NBA 2K, Bioshock infinite,

I guess they just traded a exclusive game for exclusive content and exclusive marketing in a number of games.

Probably the smarter move since Agent isnt coming any time soon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is the world really ready for the truth?

Are you terrified?

Keighley reteweeted this link -
http://twitter.com/#!/wesharegaming/status/144419229964304384

which is a link to -
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/20...ally-different-ip-has-capps-scared-terrified/

The new game Epic Games will debut at the VGAs this Saturday will be a brand new intellectual property, not a Kinect-enabled Gears of War spin-off as rumored. What we’re in got is “something radically different” and something that’s making the studio “nervous,” according to Epic prez Mike Capps who chatted with gi.biz on the undertaking: “It’s something radically different for us. New IP, new game. We’re not really talking much about platform or anything like that, but I mentioned at GDCE Europe and my keynote there that we were working on a lot of new projects, and it’s been really refreshing to the team to try some new things.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i dont see how a 1st party developer could make a shocking announcement. what can the possibly announce?

MG310

I really want that Tony Hawk thing to be a downloadable HD version of 1-3's levels with modern online/leaderboards.

Its probably going to be the Kinect equivalent of Tony Hawk Ride.

Raoh

well Sony have gotten a bunch of exclusive stuff for Take two and rockstar stuff the last few years.

La Noire, Red Dead, NBA 2K, Bioshock infinite,

I guess they just traded a exclusive game for exclusive content and exclusive marketing in a number of games.

Probably the smarter move since Agent isnt coming any time soon.

It does make sense when you put it that way.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Are you terrified?

Keighley reteweeted this link -
http://twitter.com/#!/wesharegaming/status/144419229964304384

which is a link to -
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/20...ally-different-ip-has-capps-scared-terrified/

The new game Epic Games will debut at the VGAs this Saturday will be a brand new intellectual property, not a Kinect-enabled Gears of War spin-off as rumored. What we’re in got is “something radically different” and something that’s making the studio “nervous,” according to Epic prez Mike Capps who chatted with gi.biz on the undertaking: “It’s something radically different for us. New IP, new game. We’re not really talking much about platform or anything like that, but I mentioned at GDCE Europe and my keynote there that we were working on a lot of new projects, and it’s been really refreshing to the team to try some new things.

Was about to post this.

So both Epic and Sony are showing new IP, at VGAs. Epic from the Gears of War team, Sony from 'an amazing developer'. Epic's is a departure for them and are being coy about platform. Both are showing the games in trailer form.

Uh-huh.

<insert straw clutching image here>

But really, something LIKE Epic or the Gears team working on a PS3 exclusive would warrant 'shocking' etc. Something LIKE SSM working on a PS3 exclusive is not shocking.

Was about to post this.

So both Epic and Sony are showing new IP, at VGAs. Epic from the Gears of War team, Sony from 'an amazing developer'. Epic's is a departure for them and are being coy about platform. Both are showing the games in trailer form.

Uh-huh.

But really, something LIKE Epic or the Gears team working on a PS3 exclusive would warrant 'shocking' etc. Something LIKE SSM working on a PS3 exclusive is not shocking.

SSM not working on God of War is kind of shocking in a way.

Its been years since a established first party developer from Sony or MS has had a new IP. especially studios with a guaranteed money maker like God of War.

But its shocking in a "huh thats cool and sort of unexpected" kind of way and not in the "OMFG thats mind blowing, I never saw that coming" sort of way.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
i dont see how a 1st party developer could make a shocking announcement. what can the possibly announce?

Guerilla Games announcing Hola, a sci-fi FPS game where you play as Maestro Chef, a Mexican space marine chef who fights aliens and doesnt afraid of carbonara. Finish the taco!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But its shocking in a "huh thats cool and sort of unexpected" kind of way and not in the "OMFG thats mind blowing, I never saw that coming" sort of way.

Exactly...but Keighley's been hyping it as the latter, really. He wouldn't overpromise, would he? :p

Was about to post this.

Uh-huh.

well i think is more likely see another Xbox exclusive (or mobile exclusive or even pc exclusive) from Epic than a game for ps3..
other than that... if Sony have to turn to an external studios in order to get a "shocking game"... what the hell are working on in Santa Monica Studios, Quantic Dream, Naught Dog, and all other internal teams ?

well i think is more likely see another Xbox exclusive (or mobile exclusive or even pc exclusive) from Epic than a game for ps3..
other than that... if Sony have to turn to an external studios in order to get a "shocking game"... what the hell are working on in Santa Monica Studios, Quantic Dream, Naught Dog, and all other internal teams ?

secret PS4 games obviously

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
if Sony have to turn to an external studios in order to get a "shocking game"... what the hell are working on in Santa Monica Studios, Quantic Dream, Naught Dog, and all other internal teams ?
This. It's completely disrespectful to those teams to say that anything they make cannot possibly be shocking.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Would not surprise me if SCEA has been looking for a new partner to fill Insomniac's boots.

I know Sony's relationship with Insomniac isn't necessarily ending outright, but wouldn't surprise me if it is wrt Resistance - thus it would not surprise me if Sony has been seeking a new partner. Epic would be #1 on my list if I was in their shoes, and IIRC, it just so happens that they've fulfilled their contract with MS (?) So there might have been an opening there.

I dunno. Idly speculating :p

This. It's completely disrespectful to those teams to say that anything they make cannot possibly be shocking.

Shocking, sure, but not shocking in 'megaton, you won't believe what's been going on behind the scenes' kind of way - to paraphrase Geoff Keighley. There's that suggestion of it being shocking for reasons other than or more than the content of the game.

emb

I know I'm late on this, but wow. I just watched that teaser video. I guess he's doing his job by getting me to probably watch it if I can. But there's no way whatever it is can meet my expectations now. So much (of what I assume is) hyperbole.

he is directing it because the current director couldnt cut it.

Game renamed MGS5 Rising.

We should call it the Kojima Cycle or something

No, what "truth of MGS:R" means is they'll confirm or deny the rumors about the "Cut what you will" gimmick being removed. I remember him talking about that a while back. They'll also discuss why it's been delayed so long, etc etc.

beast786

If you are nervous about a new ip. Why would you launch on a platform that you have no success in? And leave the fan base that are actually fan of you and your team. Making a ps3 new ip exclusive makes no sense. even if it's time exclusive or publish by sony

C_H_T

If you are nervous about a new ip. Why would you launch on a platform that you have no success in? And leave the fan base that are actually fan of you and your team. Making a ps3 new ip exclusive makes no sense. even if it's time exclusive or publish by sony

I think (if this is true, Epic is really making a PS3-exclusive game) is to have success on both platforms, Gears of War on 360 (MS) and the new IP on the PS3 (Sony).
They ever said, they'd like to release Gears of War on PS3, but they have a good relation with Microsoft etc. So, to approach the PlayStation audience is by releasing a new IP. IMO it's a bit to late, to release a new IP in this phase of the life cycle. Better release it on PS4, similar what they did by releasing Gears of War on 360.

Epic Talks About The Possibility Of A Multiplatform Gears Of War

"Do we wish we could take all those Killzone [players] and Resistance fans on PS3, and get them to say 'Gears is awesome'? Yeah, sure I'd love to ship the Gears trilogy on PlayStation. That would be fun. I want to be there; I want to be everywhere," he said.
So will Gears of War ever come to PS3? Capps wouldn't say, but he did note that, "We definitely own Gears of War. This is our franchise, our IP," so the possibility is still there. However, he added, "Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they've given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again."

"They don't just market it; they do amazing work and they have a user testing team that makes our games better, and so each time we've come to the point of 'what do we do next?' we've been happy to work with them. They help us make a better product and do some really cool marketing on the platform, so we save some money there."

jackdoe

You know what? A Sony Santa Monica open world RPG with graphics on par with God of War 3 would be shocking. Completely different genre and one that Sony hasn't dipped their toes in.

Basch

I don't know if I even want to watch a trailer of a UE3 game on PS3.

I know, sounds pretty depressing. But look on the bright side, if it looks anywhere near as wonderful as Enslaved did, UE3 will have been officially redeemed... okay, maybe not. But it'd still be nice.

Nizz

Man, they are hyping this PS3 exclusive to insane heights. I hope the announcement delivers cause I imagine the backlash for an underwhelming reveal could be high.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. They've already got me interested in watching the show so I guess they've done their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom