• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U |OT| I do it !

Davey Cakes

I'll grab this as DLC once I have a hankering for more NSMB.

Another reason to never get NSMB2.

I'm just not in the mood for more NSMB yet, and when I actually am, I'm going for this $20 download.

The impressions will be interesting. I'm curious about the level design and overall challenge of this new package.

pa22word

Does anyone know the specifics of using an external HDD on the Wii U are? I'm a basic dude who just hasn't gotten around to installing one, so I would appreciate the help! Basically a quick rundown of what types are and aren't compatible would be nice.

trix21

Neo Member
Just started. Levels are definitely shorter but more difficult as people have said. I can definitely see myself flinging my controller across the room trying to get some of the Star Coins.

xandaca

Thanks. Might have taken the hit were it £15 or less, but since I'll Flubit the £27 retail game from Amazon (getting Pikmin 3 for ~£25 that way) and probably get a pretty good trade-in price once it's done and dusted, assuming reactions from people who downloaded make it out to be worth buying at all.

c6cG441.jpg

;(

Just beaten Lemmy and am now on the desert World. Stages are indeed shorter and harder.
Apparently they have hidden some pixelated Luigis in a few places. found two so far.
How much shorter are they? At least longer than the checkpoint flag in the base game? Maybe at least 2/3 the length of the base version?

I hope they're not too short.

JimboJones

Do you collect those little pixelated luigis or are they just there in the background?

Does anyone know the specifics of using an external HDD on the Wii U are? I'm a basic dude who just hasn't gotten around to installing one, so I would appreciate the help! Basically a quick rundown of what types are and aren't compatible would be nice.

If you go for a USB powered drive you will need a USB y-cable which will take up two USB slots on your WiiU (one to draw power, one for the data connection)

If you go for a self powered drive you only need a standard usb cable to connect to the WiiU as the drive will be getting power from a wall outlet.

zroid

Banned
Guys, where do you download this? It's not up in North America yet I know, but should I be checking the eShop at midnight, or is it purchased from within NSMBU? Thought it would be the latter, but I can't seem to find the hooks for it which I presumed would be installed with the patch.

Shahadan

Do you collect those little pixelated luigis or are they just there in the background?

Sadly (for me at least) they're just easter eggs. They are mostly well hidden though and it's a nice touch.
I even found a Luigi face carved in stone :lol:

How much shorter are they? At least longer than the checkpoint flag in the base game? Maybe at least 2/3 the length of the base version?

I hope they're not too short.

I can't say exactly, but the game asks you if you want to post on miiverse when you breeze through a level in less than 50 seconds, so I guess if you just run through the level most if not all are designed to be under that.
I often end the level with less than 20 seconds left if I try to get the coins.

trixx

Not even sure if I should even buy this, as much as I liked nsmbu I don't even feel like spending another 20 bucks I'm burned out.

I don't know if I should get disk copy or digital. If I get digital I might as well get it now for club Nintendo coins, but I don't want to buy this game.

Guys, where do you download this? It's not up in North America yet I know, but should I be checking the eShop at midnight, or is it purchased from within NSMBU? Thought it would be the latter, but I can't seem to find the hooks for it which I presumed would be installed with the patch.

I found the Luigi link hovering above the file select after a fruitless endeavour into the actual shop, so when the time comes check the file select.
downloading now, though I doubt I'll play too much at this hour.

hlhbk

So is this going to include the patch that allows you to play the origoinal game with the pro controller?

EDIT:

I patched my copy yesterday and it didn't enable the pro controller.

PKrockin

I appreciated how NSMBU was a bit more challenging than other recent games in the series, so I'll be picking this up as well come August.

Anyone know if there's new music? (I'm guessing there isn't.)

zroid

Banned
I think only Europe, Australia and Japan got the patch so far. Seems all of us here in the US have to wait a few more hours for it.

Oh what I thought we already got the patch, lol

I guess that's why I couldn't find the hooks for it

Brief impressions having played through the first two worlds.

- Level length is like between that of a bite sized Super Meat Boy Stage and your standard Mario stage, no checkpoints because of this, the stages flow fast and fluidly.

- While there's been nothing that taxing so far the stages look to keep you on your toes.

- Luigi's higher jump is fun to work with, he doesn't come off too floaty either.

- I died on my first life buggering up with the second star coin in the first stage, oh the shame.

- The extra visual touches in the stages are nice and I have to say, regardless of its simple style NSMBU looks damn nice, I already knew this anyway but this DLC is a nice reminder having most recently played that NSMB Wii mod.

I look forward to seeing how the later stages play out, but that's it for me until the morning where I will no doubt be able to don the glorious penguin suit once more (yeah I know it's in the special world item houses but that just isn't the same).

Shahadan

Cleared the Cloud World, that's it for tonight.
Thoughts :
-I really love the faster pace the shorter stages are allowing.
-The hidden luigis always make me smile.
-Some star coins puzzles are clever and devilish
-Bosses are untouched :(
-secret exits still there
-penguin suit has a little more presence
-nabbit stages are still there
-luigi controls well and his jump is fun
-I still hate boo mansions

Murrah

Banned
I know this comes out at midnight, but is that Eastern or Pacific?

Should be eastern, but I still haven't seen any confirmation it's coming at midnight in the US. And last time I checked (like an hour ago) the patch wasn't up either

Not saying we're not getting it at midnight. We totally should, I'm just really antsy

FrsDvl

Should be eastern, but I still haven't seen any confirmation it's coming at midnight in the US. And last time I checked (like an hour ago) the patch wasn't up either

Not saying we're not getting it at midnight. We totally should, I'm just really antsy

Nintendo always releases at eastern time in the eshop.

Top Bottom