• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Kamek

Can't wait to see all these people wrong, when it turns out there is some sort of special bonus for the 1mil mark.

Tookay

Wish there was a way to Nintendo to get the message to liven this series up and take some creative liberties with its established concepts. This game's premise seemed to promise that, but then they backed out of it all over again.

This game design conservatism (what I imagine to be partially a result of Nintendo's fear that they'll kill the golden goose if they change too much) is really stifling some of their franchises, particularly the NSMB series.

But then they sell like a bajillion copies anyway, so there's never any reason for them to reassess how their slowly dismantling their brand's prestige.

Jarsonot

It bugs me that it doesn't have single-cart play. I can play NSMB Wii with friends without having to buy multiple copies, why not this? They wouldn't be able to take the game with them, and it might entice them into buying it for themselves.

I'm gonna have two 3DSs once I get the XL and I was looking forward to trying out some portable multiplayer Mario, but no way in hell am I gonna buy 2 copies of a game just to play multiplayer sometimes.

Hopefully when/if they enable an account system for the 3DS they'll allow me to have more than one device tied to my account. Like I said, I'm not going to buy 2 copies of any of their games so I don't see that costing them any money. ... I suppose friends may share an account and only have to buy one game between them, but I just don't think that'd be a huge issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

Drago

NSMBU is the first one since NSMB1 to have new backgrounds, themes, worlds etc.

I really hope that it shakes things up more, but I don't know. The game will still be great though so whatever I guess :/

Dartastic

I will buy it. I will buy it. I will be sad and buy it still because it's a new Mario game. I love mario. Ughhhghghghghhhh...

...bring on Mario WiiU. Wait a second. When is the next Nintendo conference? I might try and wait for that, just in case they announce the WiiU price and launch date. I'm strapped on cash, so....

JoeInky

Kirbyguy said:
What 3DS games have single cart play anyway? I know SSFIV does...

Mario kart 7 and star fox 64 3D both have it, I know that much. MK7 is especially great because every track can still be played, the person without the cart just can't pick their own character.

Dartastic said:
When is the next Nintendo conference? I might try and wait for that, just in case they announce the WiiU price and launch date. I'm strapped on cash, so....

There's a conference in september(?) that will be showing more launch games as well as 2013 games and maybe the price/date. Don't know when the next nintendo direct is though.

Dartastic

There's a conference in september(?) that will be showing more launch games as well as 2013 games and maybe the price/date. Don't know when the next nintendo direct is though.
I'm almost certain they'll announce the price and date at this conference. Maybe I should try and wait. BUT IT WILL BE SO HARD.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It bugs me that it doesn't have single-cart play. I can play NSMB Wii with friends without having to buy multiple copies, why not this? They wouldn't be able to take the game with them, and it might entice them into buying it for themselves.

I'm gonna have two 3DSs once I get the XL and I was looking forward to trying out some portable multiplayer Mario, but no way in hell am I gonna buy 2 copies of a game just to play multiplayer sometimes.

Hopefully when/if they enable an account system for the 3DS they'll allow me to have more than one device tied to my account. Like I said, I'm not going to buy 2 copies of any of their games so I don't see that costing them any money. ... I suppose friends may share an account and only have to buy one game between them, but I just don't think that'd be a huge issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

Disappointing for us as well, given that I had a lot of fun playing NSMB Wii with my wife. Although we both have a 3DS, I can't justify two copies of NSMB2 just for the co-op (although we did for Mario Kart 7). At least NSMB U is coming..

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The reward issue doesn't bother me, it's the replay that I'm looking for. I want to come back and replay the stages just as I can still do with Super Mario Bros or Wario Land, but I have this fear because once I beat it I never wanted to try NSMB DS ever again.

Is the game challenging, does it actually ask me to learn and improve any platforming skills, is it fun to go through the stages again because the stages themselves are creative or amusing all on this own? Grinding or just finding three coins isn't enough for me nor are stages I expect more out of a Adventure Island for it's basics than a Mario.

Please tell me I'm wrong and NSMB 2 is a huge improvement over the original and will give me fun for platforming.

zroid

Banned
The reward issue doesn't bother me, it's the replay that I'm looking for. I want to come back and replay the stages just as I can still do with Super Mario Bros or Wario Land, but I have this fear because once I beat it I never wanted to try NSMB DS ever again.

This is my problem too. Don't give a hoot about the "reward" but leaderboards would have gone a very long way to making me play these levels repeatedly. Hopefully Coin Rush's StreetPass will prove compelling enough to keep me coming back.

JoeInky

This is my problem too. Don't give a hoot about the "reward" but leaderboards would have gone a very long way to making me play these levels repeatedly.

I think we'll have to wait till it's released in all the territories before we say there isn't any spotpass stuff - I'm sure they're waiting till it's out everywhere to release an update that has these features or unlocks them in the game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The fact is that they talked in the Iwata Asks about using SpotPass for seeing what other countries did. There's a paragraph dedicated to SpotPass feature. It can't be an error, there must be something else going on.

EDIT: Just checked the Japanese Iwata Asks, they talk about SpotPass feature there too. So, there isn't any error due to bizarre translation. Just, there's something going on.

And reading the English IA, maybe I understand the problem.

StreetPass becomes another way to get a million coins.
Amano: You got it! And via the SpotPass14 feature, you can learn how many coins others have collected.
14. SpotPass: A feature in the Nintendo 3DS system that when activated receives various information and content when near a wireless LAN access point.
Tezuka: Different regions and countries can compete with each other.
Iwata: Like, "Look at how many America has! Japan better not lose!"
Amano: Yeah. From now on, we'll be deciding exactly how to present it. I'll consult Tezuka-san again, because I really want to do it.

Drago

The fact is that they talked in the Iwata Asks about using SpotPass for seeing what other countries did. There's a paragraph dedicated to SpotPass feature. It can't be an error, there must be something else going on.
Maybe they're waiting until the official release in NA and EU to turn on the feature? Would make sense to me...

NeoRausch

I just connected the dots!

Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

New Super Mario Bros. 2.: 6 Quazillion Golden Coins

i'm genius! *tinfoilhead*

They could have done so much to make the coin gimmick more worthwhile. Nothing spectacular, but if, say, more coins got you a better award that increased as you got more even that would be better.

For example, if the story involved, like, Peach's Castle being broken, the more coins you got the more fixed it got. Hell, even if the title screen increased the amount of coins as you got more that'd be better.

They could have done so much to make the coin gimmick more worthwhile. Nothing spectacular, but if, say, more coins got you a better award that increased as you got more even that would be better.

For example, if the story involved, like, Peach's Castle being broken, the more coins you got the more fixed it got. Hell, even if the title screen increased the amount of coins as you got more that'd be better.

But that requires innovation!

I don't think soundtracks have fallen off this gen at all. There are loads of memorable soundtracks this generation.

From Nintendo? Not so much. Nearly everything they release is saddled with boring music (with a few exceptions).

Wtf. If there is one thing you can usually count on with Nintendo even when they screw a game up is a fantastic soundtrack. Looking back on their Wii games Galaxy 2 Epic Yarn, DKCR, Rhythm Heaven Wii, Xenoblade have all had great soundtracks. Skyward Sword's was okay, but lacked a certain something.

Drago

This is a genius idea. An original take on Mario that also sounds extremely fun!

You should work for Nintendo, haha ;)

disco

Why couldn't they have made New Super Mario Galaxy. 2D Galaxy, upside down, inventive, black holes, you know. Crazy 2D shit!

Tookay

Why couldn't they have made New Super Mario Galaxy. 2D Galaxy, upside down, inventive, black holes, you know. Crazy 2D shit!

Because crazy 2D shit would scare away the audience unfortunately.

Some of the suggestions on this page are too good for Nintendo to ever implement, at least in the modern day.

Because they can also let their janitors play with the NSMBWii level editor for a week and sell the results to millions of people regardless.

Some of the suggestions on this page are too good for Nintendo to ever implement, at least in the modern day.

No it wouldn't. New Super Mario Bros Wii had some hard as nails levels that I'm sure most people who would be "scared away" couldn't beat. Super guide exists for a reason

Because they can also let their janitors play with the NSMBWii level editor for a week and sell the results to millions of people regardless.

>_>

disco

Really though? Not being rude about 'expanded audience' folk but won't they buy anything Mario or CoD or w.e. I never really believe in intrinsic gameplay choices being outright decisions that influence a purchase. As long as you market it right and have a gorgeous cover the thing will fly off the shelf? Sure, hype and enthusiasm is driven by quality to an extent but couldn't they just make a good title and advertise its banal i.e. popular qualities (colourful Mushroom Kingdom crap) to get people to notice it?

disco

No it wouldn't. New Super Mario Bros Wii had some hard as nails levels that I'm sure most people who would be "scared away" couldn't beat. Super guide exists for a reason

Good doesn't necessarily equate to hard. I'm talking about all of those elements in the Galaxy games that made you go 'Jesus whoa wtf omg!'. Surely they wowed everyone from GAF to grandma?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
and you both are almost guaranteed to be disapointed. GAF will fill any void with the most amazing thing imaginable when it comes to stuff like the 1,000,000 coin bonus. and sure, Nintendo made it sound like a big deal, but even if it had been 'you can play as Wario' or similar, i'd bet loads of people would still be really upset like 'he doesn't play any different to Mario and why do i want to replay all these levels as Wario after i've been grinding them for coins' or what have you.

you get a cool title screen. if that's not worth griding a million coins for to you, don't bother. i'm only going to do it if the level design encourages me to set up huge coin pay outs, and doing so makes the game more fun.

we know what the reward is now, lets please stop imagining that it's still some amazing super secret thing like giving you the DLC for free.

Calm down, drink some Ovaltine.

Riposte

They could have also had online objectives, like 1 billion or trillion coins split between all players.

EDIT: This game will have DLC, right?

zroid

Banned
so is it confirmed now that there aren't any regional/worldwide coin totals available to view in-game? (at least, for now?)

Is it being updated on a website, maybe?

The DLC is for Coin Rush mode only, which was added to make grinding feel like less of a chore. But why collect coins when they serve no purpose?

zroid

Banned
The DLC is for Coin Rush mode only, which was added to make grinding feel like less of a chore. But why collect coins when they serve no purpose?

From the Iwata Asks:

"Iwata
Now I'd like to ask about how the theme of this game—one million coins—came about.

Amano
All right. It started early on in development when we were determining the structure little by little in order to make the stages fun, and for some reason Nakago-san and Tezuka-san kept talking about coins.

Iwata
They were muttering about coins? (laughs)

Amano
Yeah, like, "Shouldn't this one be About Coins?" (laughs)

Iwata
(laughs)

Amano
They were both going on about how good it felt to get coins. It was just about the time that Super Mario 3D Land was finishing up, and in that game Mario can put a Question Block over his head."

the gist: it's supposed to be fun. whether that will prove enough for most people remains to be seen!

cloudyy

Even the official website mentions some kind of spotpass functionality:
Enable SpotPass communication for New Super Mario Bros. 2, and every coin you collect will be added to the Worldwide Coin Total, along with other players like you. How high do you think it will go? Let's find out together!
http://newsupermariobros2.nintendo.com/play-together/

Chopper

byCue.jpg

gmTFf.jpg

cloudyy said:
Enable SpotPass communication for New Super Mario Bros. 2, and every coin you collect will be added to the Worldwide Coin Total, along with other players like you. How high do you think it will go? Let's find out together!
Well that confirms something is up then, no?

disco

From the Iwata Asks:

"Iwata
Now I'd like to ask about how the theme of this game—one million coins—came about.

Amano
All right. It started early on in development when we were determining the structure little by little in order to make the stages fun, and for some reason Nakago-san and Tezuka-san kept talking about coins.

Iwata
They were muttering about coins? (laughs)

Amano
Yeah, like, "Shouldn't this one be About Coins?" (laughs)

Iwata
(laughs)

Amano
They were both going on about how good it felt to get coins. It was just about the time that Super Mario 3D Land was finishing up, and in that game Mario can put a Question Block over his head."

the gist: it's supposed to be fun. whether that will prove enough for most people remains to be seen!

So development has taken less than a year?

disco

That assumes they weren't already developing the game before the coin concept was introduced. Probably at least 1.5 years.

Well in a way I'm all for Nintendo being economic with their resources (allowing them to compete with cheaper to produce experiences on the app store) - on the other hand... I'll just leave it at all the negatives that might come with a shorter development cycle.

They did something similar with Luigi's mansion, where the total money collected resulted in different mansions for Luigi to live in at the end of the game.

In fact, they did this even earlier with Wario Land 1. They managed the whole thing better in their own 20 year old GB game than in this miserable cash-in. :/

Drago

So I've decided against going digital for this and all games in the future. The feel of unboxing a game and slipping it into the collection is just too good a feel, as is seeing a giant stack of boxes.

I'm so bipolar x_x

August 19 can't come soon enough... why must you hold it (and the XL) back, NoA? D:

This may have been asked already and I apologise if so - but for any of you who are most of the way through or have completed the game, how would you rate this against say - NSMB Wii and Super Mario 3D Land...

SM3D Land was just incredible for me, I have a hard time believing this could be better - and I don't see it having the same pull for me as NSMB Wii due to multiplayer being harder to arrange...

... but I do want to be won over. I don't care about the 'reward' talk... What's the verdict, overall?

Drago

From the 2 or 3 reviews I've read, they seem to think that the game is better than NSMBWii (single player) but it does nearly nothing new at all.

Of course, opinions vary. I'm sure a gaffer will give you their opinions soon enough

hongcha

This may have been asked already and I apologise if so - but for any of you who are most of the way through or have completed the game, how would you rate this against say - NSMB Wii and Super Mario 3D Land...

SM3D Land was just incredible for me, I have a hard time believing this could be better - and I don't see it having the same pull for me as NSMB Wii due to multiplayer being harder to arrange...

... but I do want to be won over. I don't care about the 'reward' talk... What's the verdict, overall?

I am about 95% complete with NSMB2 ( I have already cleared it a few times and completed all the hidden worlds) and I like it a lot more than NSMBWii or 3D Land. I only have about 40k coins, but for me, that aspect of the game isn't compelling. 14 hours of play time so far and I have loved every minute.

Fren

Neo Member
Did anyone else get the SpotPass notice?

Apparently 4 billion (40億) coins have been gathered so far and
you can now play as Luigi in single player

Top Bottom