• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Did anyone else get the SpotPass notice?

Apparently 400 million coins have been gathered so far and
you can now play as Luigi in single player

So wait does attaining region/ww coin milestones unlock content?

lol at this point Nintendo is going to have to release a PR statement clarifying just what coin-related features are in the damn game thanks to the early Japanese release.

It's like, if it was such a big deal or something that had to be kept secret until everyone had the game, they should have just done a worldwide simultaneous release.

Anth0ny

Did anyone else get the SpotPass notice?

Apparently 400 million coins have been gathered so far and
you can now play as Luigi in single player

there-s-a-chance-dumbdcy7y.gif

1 BILLION COINS WARIO UNLOCK

I BELIEVE

Fren

Neo Member
So wait does attaining region/ww coin milestones unlock content?

Probably not. If it did, I imagine we'd get something at every milestone: 1 million, 10 million, etc, etc.

Also, that number I posted above should be 4 billion and not 400 million. I'll edit my post.

Er... regarding that second bit...
Luigi was always playable, you just have to beat the game first, then do the same thing you did in NSMB DS (Hold L&R at the file select screen.)

lol at this point Nintendo is going to have to release a PR statement clarifying just what coin-related features are in the damn game thanks to the early Japanese release.

It's like, if it was such a big deal or something that had to be kept secret until everyone had the game, they should have just done a worldwide simultaneous release.
Its a cool idea but I'm going to wait and see what other unlocks are given besides ones that were witheld from the game that were standard in previous titles.

I BELIEVE
Idk it might be too hard for nintendo because of his fart gameplay. Lol.

KarmaCow

Yea I haven't played the game but the
play as Luigi
thing has been in the game before this if the Gamefaqs cheat section is to be trusted.

Vibed

Probably not. If it did, I imagine we'd get something at every milestone: 1 million, 10 million, etc, etc.

Also, that number I posted above should be 4 billion and not 400 million. I'll edit my post.
Er... regarding that second bit...
Luigi was always playable, you just have to beat the game first, then do the same thing you did in NSMB DS (Hold L&R at the file select screen.)
Yea I haven't played the game but the
play as Luigi
thing has been in the game before this if the Gamefaqs cheat section is to be trusted.

now why in the hell was i optimistic

is it possible to use a NTSC 3ds and somehow access the jpn shop to purchase their digital release!??!

Japan was NTSC too, ya know, which doesn't apply to handheld devices.

eShop server addresses are likely embedded in the firmware, which is apparently encrypted and as such has yet to be cracked. Short answer: no.

Japan was NTSC too, ya know, which doesn't apply to handheld devices.

eShop server addresses are likely embedded in the firmware, which is apparently encrypted and as such has yet to be cracked. Short answer: no.

thanks for the reply. and so the wait continues. for the better I guess. between work and the one major project I have for school, I'm short on time as it is. One third of my sleeping hours is from the train ride to work and back.

A question for those in the know - does this game continue the NSMB practice of only allowing you to save after boss fights and spending star coins to open new areas? That always pissed me off.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding what happeneds when you collect 1 million coins:
is there anything else that is happening besides a title change?

Drago

This is basically the only 3DS game I'm getting for $40 instead of NewEggs $30, haha

4-7 day shipping just isn't fast enough for me. I need this day 1! :D

Also, test_account,
all it is is a title screen change. Sucks :/

This is basically the only 3DS game I'm getting for $40 instead of NewEggs $30, haha

4-7 day shipping just isn't fast enough for me. I need this day 1! :D

Also, test_account,
all it is is a title screen change. Sucks :/

Do you live in the East Coast?

And
I'M SUPPOSED TO BUST MY ASS GETTING 1 MILLION COINS FOR A FREAKING TITLE SCREEN! MAN AM I DISAPPOINT!

Anth0ny

I'm happy. The game got a very respectable 8.5 from IGN. I can't wait!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/03/new-super-mario-bros-2-review

"But it’s also impossible not to be disappointed that it’s over so quickly, and doesn’t offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn’t do that."

veeeeeeeeery generous score given the written review.

I BELIEVE

I couldn't be more of a Nintendo fan if that happened. Wario has been my favorite character since Mario Land 2 and he's woefully underused. Mii's? Meh. Could be fun but give me a wide variety of Nintendo characters first.

OMG Aero

When you get 9,999,999 coins you get a message telling you that money doesn't bring happiness.

This was the moral of NSMB2 all along.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
"But it’s also impossible not to be disappointed that it’s over so quickly, and doesn’t offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn’t do that."

veeeeeeeeery generous score given the written review.

not at all

"It is impossible not to be drawn in by the simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2’s mechanics and level design – this is as pleasurable and effortless as 2D platforming gets. But it’s also impossible not to be disappointed that it’s over so quickly, and doesn’t offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn’t do that - but it’s a delightful game while it lasts, and still the best 2D platformer on the 3DS."

gameplay 9.5

hongcha

I finally unlocked all hidden worlds and got all star coins. I have
3 flashing stars
in my save file. Is this the max, or can you get more?

EDIT: nevermind,
I got all 5 flashing stars
in my save file. Completed the game 100% (except the 1 million coin thing, which I don't care about) with exactly 16 hours of play time.

Dr.Hadji

not at all

"It is impossible not to be drawn in by the simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2’s mechanics and level design – this is as pleasurable and effortless as 2D platforming gets. But it’s also impossible not to be disappointed that it’s over so quickly, and doesn’t offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn’t do that - but it’s a delightful game while it lasts, and still the best 2D platformer on the 3DS."

gameplay 9.5

Wow, its almost like Anthony has a agenda or something. Just had to read one sentence more but put things more into context.

Anth0ny

not at all

gameplay 9.5

The extra line doesn't mean shit. They're back peddling.

"This game is the same tired bullshit everyone is starting to get sick of when it comes to the NSMB series. But it was still great for the 5 hours it lasted!"

*ridiculously high scores to the contrary of the written review*

what.

It's like they're incapable of being negative with a 2D Mario game just because it's a 2D Mario game. This reminds me of the Star Wars on blu ray debacle. "The special edition changes are awful, and the transfers aren't that great... but it's Star Wars. On BLU RAY. 10/10"

Shiggy

7-10 scale, shocking!

It's kind of annoying when even 80-85% titles are totally flawed these days. Game reviews are completely unreliable. I also noticed that game ratings are higher if there's a certain franchise attached or if it's heavily hyped (examples: Skyward Sword, GTA IV).

Another example? New Super Mario Bros. for DS, which received a 9.5 from IGN.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/new-super-mario-bros

[This post is not discussing the quality of NSMB2 as I haven't played it. I don't expect too much though.]

DynamicG

"This game is the same tired bullshit everyone is starting to get sick of when it comes to the NSMB series. But it was still great for the 5 hours it lasted!"

what.

It's like they're incapable of being negative with a 2D Mario game just because it's a 2D Mario game. This reminds me of the Star Wars on blu ray debacle. "The special edition changes are awful, and the transfers aren't that great... but it's Star Wars. On BLU RAY. 10/10"

Something can be fun and not innovative at the same time time. They're not mutually exclusive concepts.

What is your evidence that they're giving it a pass because it's a 2D Mario and not because they...had fun playing it even though it's nothing "new". Which arbitrary review score do you think it deserves?

Edit: I should explain myself better. If the score does not match the text in your opinion, then ignore it. The text seems in line with most expectations of a fun game that wasn't breaking any new ground. The game was not given a 10/10. Perhaps IGN weighted the fun factor more than the innovation factor in scoring it. The text should explain the score more, I agree. But I don't see how an 8.5 on IGN's scale is analogous to the Star Wars example.

Dr.Hadji

Something can be fun and not innovative at the same time time. They're not mutually exclusive concepts.

What is your evidence that they're giving it a pass because it's a 2D Mario and not because they...had fun playing it even though it's nothing "new". Which arbitrary review score do you think it deserves?

"best 2d platformer on the system"
"Only the lack of novelty detracts from the perfection of this formula."
" simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2’s mechanics and level design"
"....it doesn’t move the series forward. When it’s as good as it was to begin with, though, it’s hard to find much else to complain about."

Wow those contradictory fools. They need to stop hiding behind the Mario name and give the game the score it really deserves.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

what.

I don't think so. She says game is tremendously fun but not innovative, something we already knew. Her review is much more balanced than your overreacting post about "tired bullshit". If you like to think game is getting a pass because its Mario then so be it

also, SM3DL can be completed in more or less the same amount of hours

Anth0ny

Edit: I should explain myself better. If the score does not match the text in your opinion, then ignore it. The text seems in line with most expectations of a fun game that wasn't breaking any new ground. The game was not given a 10/10. Perhaps IGN weighted the fun factor more than the innovation factor in scoring it. The text should explain the score more, I agree. But I don't see how an 8.5 on IGN's scale is analogous to the Star Wars example.

I think their review lines up more with what they consider a 7/10:

IGN Game Reviews Guide said:
7.0/7.5 - Good

Sure, there are some issues, but the overall experience is still good enough to recommend. Maybe it lacks ambition or it's repetitive or has too many technical glitches, but we had fun playing it nonetheless and think you will too.

but it gets a bump because it's Mario.

"best 2d platformer on the system"
"Only the lack of novelty detracts from the perfection of this formula."
" simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2’s mechanics and level design"
"....it doesn’t move the series forward. When it’s as good as it was to begin with, though, it’s hard to find much else to complain about."

Wow those contradictory fools. They need to stop hiding behind the Mario name and give the game the score it really deserves.

That is some very high praise for the NSMB series. Perfection? Jeez. Then what's Mario 3?

Even fellow IGN employees wouldn't agree.

I don't think so. She says game is tremendously fun but not innovative, something we already knew. Her review is much more balanced than your overreacting post about "tired bullshit". If you like to think game is getting a pass because its Mario then so be it

also, SM3DL can be completed in more or less the same amount of hours

From what I've heard, this game is the easiest Mario of all time. There are only
spoilers 9
worlds, including the unlockable ones. 3D Land has 16, and the final stage is possibly the hardest Mario stage ever made. It sounds like 3D Land takes a lot longer to complete, but I'll have to play NSMB 2 to know for sure.

Dr.Hadji

IGN 8-8.5 said:
If you play a lot of games, then you have got to play this one. It might not be among the very best available, but it's worth your time. If this is the type of game that appeals to you, then this one should be an automatic purchase.

I think the game sits clearly at a 8.5 to 9.0 range based on the text. But somehow the the "best"s and "perfection"s seem lost on you Anthony.

DynamicG

I think their review lines up more with what they consider a 7/10:

Cool. I don't have enough knowledge of how to properly weight the IGN review scale, so I'll go with your judgement on this one. Personally, the number doesn't mean much to me.

but it gets a bump because it's Mario.

Again, prove this. How do we isolate the "It's Mario" factor and show how much it matters in the review score. Where is your evidence that the game being a Mario game is given most weight?

Alternately, how do we control for this in future reviews. If you are legitimately concerned about getting an accurate review score, then we need to control for this Mario factor. Would the reviewer self-identifying their Mario fandom be enough or would the game need to be reviewed by someone who had never played mario before?

That is some very high praise for the NSMB series. Perfection? Jeez. Then what's Mario 3?

An older Mario game that many people feel is the best in the series. Some say Mario World is the best, others Yoshi's Island. Some aren't even sure if Yoshi's Island counts as mainline Mario. This may shock you, but some people even like Mario 2 best. Game rankings are totally subjective.

I even encountered a middle aged woman in the wild who played all the old Mario games, but liked NSMB on DS best. Stuff like that is subjective.

You're treating a subjective take on one game as objective truth and creating a straw man by saying the reviewer just ignored or doesn't hold Mario 3 in high esteem.

There is a point buried in there somewhere that goes to the earlier issue about how "It's Mario" may actually factor in reviews. We don't know which Mario games Keza MacDonald likes, so it's hard to know what he or she considers fun for a Mario. That might influence the review score.

I don't think that's the point you were trying to make, but I think there is something there.

Even fellow IGN employees wouldn't agree.

From what I've heard, this game is the easiest Mario of all time. There are only
spoilers 9
worlds, including the unlockable ones. 3D Land has 16, and the final stage is possibly the hardest Mario stage ever made. It sounds like 3D Land takes a lot longer to complete, but I'll have to play NSMB 2 to know for sure.

OK. They don't agree with the review. That's how the editorial process works. They are assigned a reviewer to attempt to avoid bias. Sometimes people request reviews. Are you upset that a reviewer who is closer to your opinion of the game wasn't chosen?

Edit:

I'm not clocking my mario games to see how much enjoyment I get per minute so I'm not all that concerned with the length. 5 hrs is fine for me. Easy is subjective as well, but I do prefer more difficult games. How much do we weight that in the review score.

By your scale the score needs to be 1.5 review points lower. How do we break those down?

Chunky

It's kind of annoying when even 80-85% titles are totally flawed these days. Game reviews are completely unreliable. I also noticed that game ratings are higher if there's a certain franchise attached or if it's heavily hyped (examples: Skyward Sword, GTA IV).

Another example? New Super Mario Bros. for DS, which received a 9.5 from IGN.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/new-super-mario-bros

[This post is not discussing the quality of NSMB2 as I haven't played it. I don't expect too much though.]
Skyward Sword deserved a high score though?

daakusedo

they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again

I don't know of what they're thinking with that but isn't it what nintendo have done with creating new mechanics for the coin fest...
I mean, that's something that will probably be missed if it's not in the next mario, beginning with nsmbu, it seems to make for high density of play per m².
It was already present at time in nsmb ds, like the wiggler level where you take a invincibility star and create blue coins on your path.
Also game totally underrated in here, I replayed it yesterday without remembering much, going as fast as possible, I didn't felt the wide gap in quality with nsmbw, so I guess I understand much people liking neither.

Shiggy

Skyward Sword deserved a high score though?

Not trying to derail this thread, but the Zelda game in Nintendo Land already looks like a ton more fun as it gets rid of the story-like elements (don't want to call it a story), the boring and out-of place objectives (collecting tears, finding your equipment again, protecting a flying robot, collecting underwater pieces), the endless walks between two locations, and most likely even the parts that artificially increased the game's length. If swordfighting in Wii Sports Resort is an indication, I'd also say that the controls are much better. Now the Nintendo Land minigame just needs to get bosses as good as those in Skyward Sword and it's superior in every area.

*What Skyward Sword also got right was the overworld. It was not a huge empty world as in TP. It was just a small empty world, which made it tolerable.

Top Bottom