• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Peff

Not touching that spoiler but man.....
I'm really hoping the disappointment here is just overly-negative-GAF doing their thing because I was actually really looking forward to getting a million coins :(
I'm at least expecting a whole secret world or Wario cameo or something.

You should absolutely see what it is. It's REALLY not worth going all the way for it especially when people are finishing the game with just 20-30k coins. Just watch the video and when the game is out, play it as long as it's fun. If the game is as good as NSMBWii, many of us will probably end up getting there anyways.

1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

You should absolutely see what it is. It's REALLY not worth going all the way for it especially when people are finishing the game with just 20-30k coins. Just watch the video and when the game is out, play it as long as it's fun. If the game is as good as NSMBWii, many of us will probably end up getting there anyways.

*clicks link*

NO

FUCKING

WAY

... I don't even know what to say right now

Berordn

Not that the reward isn't extremely disappointing for what it is, but I really hope this doesn't negatively affect people's impression of the game overall.

I mean, the game itself looks fun and about on par with NSMB Wii. If all anyone remembers it for is the overhyped final prize then they were better off without it.

TrueBlue

Yes video game rewards..The problem is these cant possibly ever be satisfying to the certain kind of people. There's only soo much a game can give you dude, pretty much comes down to "achievement"in most games. What do you expect, Nintendo to give everyone who reaches 1 mill a club Nintendo prize?? There is a game in there that you pay for, remember? Complaining about something like this is embarrassingly ridiculous...

Cut the condescension.

You must remember that Nintendo have heavily marketed this coin hunt as a key aspect of a game, and as a worthwhile part of that. They've made a point that making the effort to play the game and actually reach that coint count would be somewhat worthwhile. Look at this quote:

“It’s not a ‘gimmick,’ it’s the jackpot. That’s what it is, no doubt; you are collecting coins like crazy in that game. It’s insane how many coins you’re going to collect; the amount of 1UPs you’re going to get are going to help you, yes, but it’s like hitting the jackpot because there’s coins everywhere. And Gold Mario is able to throw gold fireballs, which allow you to gold everything else.

There’s basically every single opportunity to get coins that you could possibly think of, and you want to get them all… there actually is purpose to collecting all those coins, and I’m not going to tell you what it is, but there’s purpose, and you want to collect as many as you can." - Nintendo of Canada's Matt Ryan

When asked if the reward for collecting enough coins was a small bonus like a star next to your player profile, Mr. Ryan responded with the following.

“I don’t think that we would tease if it didn’t actually mean something.”

That's what annoys me. The reward is something that I've seen given for simply playing through once with other games. It just seems so... inconsequential to the experience, which contradicts what Nintendo have been saying all this time. The reward just doesn't offer very much incentive to take the journey of collecting one million coins, which isn't good considering Nintendo have been advertising that journey to death.

Now don't get me wrong, I think this game looks fine, a solid and unspectacular 2D Mario platformer, and I'm sure I'll get what I pay for. But still, I can't help but be a little disappointed when a game that is heavily advertised to be worthwhile in a certain aspect turns out to be anything but.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It certainly looks that way, but we have still seen very little.

However, playing the 3DS entry right before the Wii U game would be like snacking before having a big meal. I may not enjoy the meal as much as I would have without snacking.

exactly what I mean, and metalslimer's post is spot on. NSMB2 wouldn't have been kicked out of the factory nine months after SM3DL if the handheld situation outside Japan didn't need some kickstart. Still, while I don't feel NSMB2 will be as rushed or lazy as some players/revs are saying, it will most likely be dwarfed by the U version coming so soon after it, which definitely looks like the complete package and a much more interesting game

Foffy

Banned
I wouldnt have a problem with the reward if Nintendo didnt hype it up so fucking much.

They needed a hook, and that hook was coins. They attempted to justify the hook with the atrocious thing you obtain when you get 1,000,000 coins. It almost makes the entire premise of the game seem like a laughably hollow incentive to playing the game.

Not that the reward isn't extremely disappointing for what it is, but I really hope this doesn't negatively affect people's impression of the game overall.

I mean, the game itself looks fun and about on par with NSMB Wii. If all anyone remembers it for is the overhyped final prize then they were better off without it.

I've been watching videos and I don't see any design in the game that comes close to the awesomeness that was NSMBW. The game also looks pretty damn easy.

Berordn

I wouldnt have a problem with the reward if Nintendo didnt hype it up so fucking much.

Which just begs the question, was it even necessary? You're not buying a Mario game for the postgame reward, you're buying it to play a Mario game.

Ninjimbo

I wasn't even aware there was a reward for hitting a million. I don't really care anyways. I'm more interested in the level designs. What are people saying about the levels? I want some hardcore, mistime a jump and you're fucked levels.

Are there any of those?

I wasn't even aware there was a reward for hitting a million. I don't really care anyways. I'm more interested in the level designs. What are people saying about the levels? I want some hardcore, mistime a jump and you're fucked levels.

Are there any of those?

This is arguably the easiest Mario platformer ever made, and people have finished the single player campaign with over 400 lives.

Short answer: No

The biggest issue I take with this game is that the whole game is designed around the coin gimmick. Ok that's fine you can make a great game designed around a gimmick like that. But wait none of your coin collecting matters because the reward is terrible and there are no online leaderboards. They could have at least included online ghosts to chase through a level. So now you have to take the game at its direct design which from all the videos I've seen looks like a dumbed down NSMBW

The biggest issue I take with this game is that the whole game is designed around the coin gimmick. Ok that's fine you can make a great game designed around a gimmick like that. But wait none of your coin collecting matters because the reward is terrible and there are no online leaderboards. They could have at least included online ghosts to chase through a level. So now you have to take the game at its direct design which from all the videos I've seen looks like a dumbed down NSMBW

Bingo. They designed a game around coin collecting yet coins serve no purpose. WHAT THE FUCK?

Socreges

Banned
So is it fair to say that the coin collecting is a worthless gimmick and doesn't benefit the gameplay?

Aside from the game looking boring and stale, is the actual level design up there with other Mario platformers? Is it challenging throughout? Does it stay engaging?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious.

[edit] Seems like my instinct that they added the coin gimmick just to distinguish the game from NSMBWU might have been fairly accurate....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I absolutely cannot believe how bad that million coin reward is. What a joke.

So is it fair to say that the coin collecting is a worthless gimmick and doesn't benefit the gameplay?

Aside from the game looking boring and stale, is the actual level design up there with other Mario platformers? Is it challenging throughout? Does it stay engaging?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious.

From the impressions we've been getting for people and watching videos the game looks really easy.

JazzmanZ

I can't believe you guys were expecting this game to be amazing just because of whatever the hell prize you get from 1 million coins, you're all attracted to the shiny thing behind the door without even knowing what it is.

The game is fun despite the prize some of the levels are great, it has much incentive as NSMB where the only prize for 100% completion was 3 stars on your file.

Stop thinking the game is utter shit because your prize wasn't Super awesome playable Wario sonic galaxy secret world.

Drago

I definitely feel as if the million coin reward will bite Nintendo in the ass big time.

I'm still in though... the game will be fun and that's all I want

I can't believe you guys were expecting this game to be amazing just because of whatever the hell prize you get from 1 million coins, you're all attracted to the shiny thing behind the door without even knowing what it is.

The game is fun despite the prize some of the levels are great, it has much incentive as NSMB where the only prize for 100% completion was 3 stars on your file.

Stop thinking the game is utter shit because your prize wasn't Super awesome playable Wario sonic galaxy secret world.

There are many issues to take with the game outside of that dumb reward.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Which just begs the question, was it even necessary? You're not buying a Mario game for the postgame reward, you're buying it to play a Mario game.

I think the problem here is that they kept going on about how the coin was a metagame and a new part of the core Mario premise. Essentially turning it into a kind of Mario score attack. Now imagine a score attack game that didn't have any yardstick for comparing your score to many others, no leaderboards, and so forth. Plus they kept going on about the million coin goal like it was a huge deal. They even made the Coin Rush mode, something designed to make 'grinding' coins its own mode apart from the main game... then in Iwata Asks, they mentioned there were quasi-leaderboard systems and purposes to collecting coins to participate in global coin competition. And none of those features are actually in the game.

The impression everyone has right now is that it's some kind of aborted effort and a giant WTF.

Drago

1 million coins is like an achievement for the game. People don't expect awards for achievements do they?
When they are hyped up majorly before release and are the entire goal behind the main hook of a game, yeah I expect something at least a little nice

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Also note this comes on the heels of Super Mario 3D Land, that blew a lot of people away with its ridiculous 'postgame' secret that doubled the content of the game.

Glass Joe

RE: The million coin challenge -- I suppose it's not the destination, but the journey anyway. Perhaps the actual bonus has always been planned as a free DLC down the line? Maybe Nintendo really wasn't counting on someone playing the game 60 hours the first week and for word to spread -- though they should have known better.

Even if that's all the reward is, oh well. I wasn't planning on getting 1,000,000 anyway unless that streetpass thing is really active and fun, or if the paid DLC or the game itself really captivates me.

If I've naturally got like 750,000 coins when I'm ready to call it quits, then sure, maybe I'll go for a million. But if I have like 100,000 after 100%'ing it and the million coin reward was something massive, I'd be annoyed that I wouldn't be able to access it. So perhaps it's for the best. I did like the way 3D Land rewarded the 100%'ers though, so maybe they'll hear the blowback and add something more rewarding via patch.

Dr.Hadji

When they are hyped up majorly before release and are the entire goal behind the main hook of a game, yeah I expect something at least a little nice

Eh, I never got that impression. It always sounded like a personal challenge to me. Because that's how Nintendo do.

Drago

Eh, I never got that impression. It always sounded like a personal challenge to me. Because that's how Nintendo do.
There were definitely quips about how great the reward was (one was posted here too) but tbh, I don't care. Now I can play the game without focusing on every single last coin being collected.

The game will be good fun and Coin Rush should be great. Can't wait to download it :D

watershed

Banned
Online Leaderboards and regional and global totals are all I need to make the coin collecting worthwhile. Scratch that, if NSMB2 had communities like MK7 then I would be an absolute coin collecting addict. Imagine two Gaf communities going against each other for all that gold.

Sounds like they built a game around the least interesting aspect of a SMB game, and did next to nothing to make it feel special. Definitely not paying 40 for this.

Foffy

Banned
I haven't read the reward yet but I'll choose to look forward to DLC then.

It'll probably be packs of three levels each. And considering they're Coin Rush levels...there's a chance you'll beat them in one sitting.

Seems really lame for DLC, really.

Ninjimbo

There are 6 main worlds and 3 special worlds if that counts
That sounds like it does. Every Mario game I've played usually has a set of a dozen or so complicated levels that really push the mechanics. If there's a decent amount of those sprinkled in there like in the second run of 3D Land, I should be fine.

Glass Joe

This is arguably the easiest Mario platformer ever made, and people have finished the single player campaign with over 400 lives.

How many lives isn't necessarily the most fair metric on how easy it is. It's more about how hard the level designs are, not how many tries they give you. Especially not when so many levels are coin heavy and 100 coins gives a 1-up.

I'd love to hear more difficulty impressions though. But anyone who's 100% completed the game already is likely a strong Mario player anyway, so I'm not sure how accurate their opinion would be. As long as it's more like NSMB Wii and less like the stupid easy DS one, I'll be alright.

DjRoomba

Banned
In regards to leaderboard thing - i doubt Iwata would lie about that and I doubt it was removed considering that Asks was made after the game was done. If it was a feature remoed from the game dont you think they would edit that part out of the Asks? Wait till it gets released internationally then make a decision to complain or not.

Not a fair comparison. Yes, I have over 400 lives because of all the coins, but Mario games have been giving out lives like crazy since Super Mario Brothers 3. Lives are a terrible comparison for challenge. I also had 200 lives in Super Mario 3Dland, and that becomes one of the hardest games in the series.

The game is not nearly as challenging as SM3DLand' s second half or even New Super Mario Brothers, but it is somewhat more challenging than New Super Mario Brothers (aside from not having to fight any bosses with a mini mushroom). Second easiest Mario platformer is probably not an unfair assessment.

As for levels which require perfection, that's mostly the cannon levels, at least as long as you don't go in as raccoon mario (which for those levels is almost as good as using a P-Wing in Mario 3). Go in as small mario and they are brilliant examples of the precision available in a Mario game, and show how a Super Meat Boy style challenge could work if Nintendo chose to do so (not that they are that hard, but they give the idea).

The only problem is that there aren't nearly enough cannon levels. There are only

There are a handful of other levels with some precise platforming needs, but it really leans more towards clever secrets and inventive use of established mechanics than for challenge. The handful of levels that are tough are usually short enough that you can get past them fairly easily.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Not a fair comparison. Yes, I have over 400 lives because of all the coins, but Mario games have been giving out lives like crazy since Super Mario Brothers 3. Lives are a terrible comparison for challenge. I also had 200 lives in Super Mario 3Dland, and that becomes one of the hardest games in the series.

The game is not nearly as challenging as SM3DLand' s second half or even New Super Mario Brothers, but it is somewhat more challenging than New Super Mario Brothers (aside from not having to fight any bosses with a mini mushroom). Second easiest Mario platformer is probably not an unfair assessment.

As for levels which require perfection, that's mostly the cannon levels, at least as long as you don't go in as raccoon mario (which for those levels is almost as good as using a P-Wing in Mario 3). Go in as small mario and they are brilliant examples of the precision available in a Mario game, and show how a Super Meat Boy style challenge could work if Nintendo chose to do so (not that they are that hard, but they give the idea).

The only problem is that there aren't nearly enough cannon levels. There are only

There are a handful of other levels with some precise platforming needs, but it really leans more towards clever secrets and inventive use of established mechanics than for challenge. The handful of levels that are tough are usually short enough that you can get past them fairly easily.

this post reignited the hype last ones vanished

VICI0US

Didn't really intend to spoil the reward, but I ended up doing it anyway

I will say, that's pretty disappointing.

The whole coin collecting aspect was a great in concept but sounds like its terribly executed. Having absolutely no rewards between 1 coin and 1 million coins and for the only/final reward to be so insignifigant.. meh. It could've been great if you unlocked special challenge levels intermittently, like say every 100,000 coins.

Rehashed music and 1,000,000 disappointment aside, I'm sure the game itself will be as fun as ever. I think the coin rush mode is a really great addition to the series, and I hope it's expanded upon in future titles. I'm also interested to see what sort of level design comes out of the "mario cram school" project, an outside perspective on the mario level design could be very neat.

zroid

Banned
don't even give a fuck, you guys, still hyped

I want all of the coins

I don't need reward carrots to motivate me if something is fun, and don't want them walled behind a boring task either

I haven't read the reward yet but I'll choose to look forward to DLC then.

DLC... what if the coins can be used to buy DLC levels? It would also figure that there is no decent reward right now, because DLC levels are not yet available.

[...]it will most likely be dwarfed by the U version coming so soon after it, which definitely looks like the complete package and a much more interesting game

Agreed.

I will say that I expect at least leaderboards and tougher/more original level designs from it. Anything less at this point would probably sour me on the 'New' series for good.

I can easily imagine one or two of the early DLC will be free and including some kind of bonus for one million coins if the feedback is negative enough.

Top Bottom