• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

matthwq

Banned
don't even give a fuck, you guys, still hyped

I want all of the coins

I don't need reward carrots to motivate me if something is fun, and don't want them walled behind a boring task either

Lamest reward ever, yet I still am hyped, too.

(If it's like, 80% as fun as NSMBW, I'm good!!!!!)

Not touching that spoiler but man.....
I'm really hoping the disappointment here is just overly-negative-GAF doing their thing because I was actually really looking forward to getting a million coins :(
I'm at least expecting a whole secret world or Wario cameo or something.

Oh how I WISH that were the case. Without spoiling, trust me that the massive disappointment and rants are definitely not due to overly-negative-Age.

Edit: Ah, I see you gave in. Haha Might as well have, imagine how much worse it'd be if you found out after actually getting a million? Yowza.

I love these reviews by the guy from Napoleon Dynamite.

http://youtu.be/Mhzh1WbGmDI

4/5 not bad... I need to play something that isn't a remake on my 3DS. Still grinding away in Tales of the Abyss. sigh

Disappointed to hear how easy it is and that 'it's the worse use of 3D on the system' (to the point of not even being worth turned on) but hyped that the reviewer thinks it had really solid level design and is still a ton of fun.

zroid

Banned
Damn, shame about the 3D being crap. :/

I'm one of those kooks who plays everything with the slider at max, so quite disappointed.

Drago

If the 3D is similar to the E3 trailer and the one in the eShop, it really is like nothing at all.

Are there any demo units for this and the XL's in America yet?

TriGen

I'm one of those kooks who plays everything with the slider at max, so quite disappointed.

I'm the same. I enjoy the 3D more than most, so hearing the fact that this game doesn't take advantage of it is a bummer.

The game is played entirely in a 2D plane, and the 3D looks good for what it is. It makes the game look like it takes place in an aquarium, which is a neat effect, but that's ultimately, for good or bad, what it is. The backgrounds stretch with the slide and blur as the get farther away, which is kind of a neat effect.

It may not really take that much advantage of 3D, but I don't think it needed to, and the graphics do look considerably smoother with the slider to max.

Theorymon

I love these reviews by the guy from Napoleon Dynamite.

http://youtu.be/Mhzh1WbGmDI

4/5 not bad... I need to play something that isn't a remake on my 3DS. Still grinding away in Tales of the Abyss. sigh

Oof, according to that review, co-op requires two cards... thats a real shame :(

Otherwise I'm still pretty excited for this game though, if only because I just can't get enough of Mario games!

sakipon

Perhaps the actual bonus has always been planned as a free DLC down the line? Maybe Nintendo really wasn't counting on someone playing the game 60 hours the first week and for word to spread -- though they should have known better.

This crossed my mind aswell. It would be fun to get to download some special free DLC. The question is, can the DLC shop detect players with over 1 million coins or how would this work?

Oof, according to that review, co-op requires two cards... thats a real shame :(

Otherwise I'm still pretty excited for this game though, if only because I just can't get enough of Mario games!

=( I miss download play. I had a crap ton of fun playing download play Mario Kart. I wish they could at least leave a couple of levels to play on download play.

Glass Joe

This crossed my mind aswell. It would be fun to get to download some special free DLC. The question is, can the DLC shop detect players with over 1 million coins or how would this work?

The game itself can detect when a million coins are hit, then push a notification to the player in-game to download a special patch hidden in the e-shop. Not that Nintendo is planning on doing that. Just saying in theory, they could.

Shiggy

I really don't understand why you're criticising that bonus. I couldn't imagine something better and more useful.

Myriadis

I'm surprised that, after the great rewards you get in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Mario Land 3D, you get a reward that is almost as bad as the reward for finding all 96 levels/exits in Super Mario World.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You're kidding me...it really IS just remixes of music I hated to begin with. :(

I miss the days when you could count on excellent soundtracks in all Nintendo games.
Yoshi Touch & Go was the last Nintendo game where I fall in love with the soundtrack. 3DS app musics are amazing as well.

Chopper

“It’s not a ‘gimmick,’ it’s the jackpot. That’s what it is, no doubt; you are collecting coins like crazy in that game. It’s insane how many coins you’re going to collect; the amount of 1UPs you’re going to get are going to help you, yes, but it’s like hitting the jackpot because there’s coins everywhere. And Gold Mario is able to throw gold fireballs, which allow you to gold everything else.

There’s basically every single opportunity to get coins that you could possibly think of, and you want to get them all… there actually is purpose to collecting all those coins, and I’m not going to tell you what it is, but there’s purpose, and you want to collect as many as you can." - Nintendo of Canada's Matt Ryan

When asked if the reward for collecting enough coins was a small bonus like a star next to your player profile, Mr. Ryan responded with the following.

“I don’t think that we would tease if it didn’t actually mean something.”
Holy crap. What the fuck?

It seems more and more clear that Nintendo put their extra guys on this game, while they have their main people on Mario U. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario U has much more new music, more original bosses, and other improvements one would expect from a brand new Mario game.

Not that this game is bad, it seems awesome, with some new and interesting ideas like the flashes of light, but it seems it's just not the completely original Mario game everyone wants.

Seriously? SMG, SMG2, Kid Icarus and so on...

Personally, I didn't find most of the music in those games to have memorable melodies.

Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise, on the other hand...

daakusedo

I don't know and want to see the reward already but the spotpass function not being even visible in the menu is kind of strange, if you didn't follow the iwata asks, you can't guess the online part plus it's supposed to get new levels.
I wonder if those spotpass leaderbords are something they want to promote in a new later batch of CM.

Or everything was just a dream.

Holy crap. What the fuck?
Hmm... I really have to wonder if there really is more to it, and the actual reward really will only be something that shows up once they have the game out worldwide and the DLC is up. With the way they were teasing it like that, I can't believe this is it, unless they had to cut out whatever they were originally planning the reward to be at the last second for some reason.

Wow, that one million coin reward... talk about a crushing disappointment, especially after all of Nintendo's hype about it. I really hope there's more to it that we just haven't seen yet. Otherwise... well, wow.

Chopper

Hmm... I really have to wonder if there really is more to it, and the actual reward really will only be something that shows up once they have the game out worldwide and the DLC is up. With the way they were teasing it like that, I can't believe this is it, unless they had to cut out whatever they were originally planning the reward to be at the last second for some reason.
After reading that quote, I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps you earn the right to buy your DLC in in-game coins! That would be a typically quirky way for Nintendo to contribute to DLC. DLC in a Mario game is a big deal. A very big deal.

I had barely touched coin rush, but it's really growing on me. As easy as the regular levels are, the time limit and single life add a lot of pressure, and it becomes easy to make mistakes. It's not brutally challenging, but it does change up the feel of the game just a bit, and it's a nice way to experience some random levels whenever you want. I can see myself playing a good bit of coin rush when I just want something to kill some time.

I had barely touched coin rush, but it's really growing on me. As easy as the regular levels are, the time limit and single life add a lot of pressure, and it becomes easy to make mistakes. It's not brutally challenging, but it does change up the feel of the game just a bit, and it's a nice way to experience some random levels whenever you want. I can see myself playing a good bit of coin rush when I just want something to kill some time.

Are there some set time to beat in coin rush mode? I'm not sure if I would enjoy this mode on my own, especially since there are no online leaderboard, but if there are some set time I think I would spend a decent amount of time trying to beat these high scores.

wat

You serious bro

Game soundtracks have fallen off this gen imo, but every so often we get a new classic. The Galaxy games and Kid Icarus have some fantastic, memorable tunes.

Well, most of it is that orchestrated music isn't my thing. I feel like it often makes melodic music less... well, melodic. There aren't too many pieces of orchestrated music with strong melodies that I personally feel would be better off orchestrated. For instance, the Good Egg music you posted above... I slightly prefer the MIDI version Nintendo had in one of the trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPFkGiRLm8

That's not how I always feel, though. See: This bad boy and this shebang.

That's just me personally, though.

Drago

Well, most of it is that orchestrated music isn't my thing. I feel like it often makes melodic music less... well, melodic. There aren't too many pieces of orchestrated music with strong melodies that I personally feel would be better off orchestrated. For instance, the Good Egg music you posted above... I slightly prefer the MIDI version Nintendo had in one of the trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPFkGiRLm8

Top Comments

Wow. This proves it.
Nintendo's better off with orchestra.
:D
rainbowkirby 4 years ago 12

not really, this version is kinda bad. The orchestra one is better.
mario54671 in reply to wlskfka (Show the comment) 4 years ago 6

Youtube disagrees with you :p

tci

After just completing Mario 3D Land I really don't look forward to any more Mario. At least the side scrolliing versions. They seem to have lost some inspiration imo.

After just completing Mario 3D Land I really don't look forward to any more Mario. At least the side scrolliing versions. They seem to have lost some inspiration imo.

I'm kinda in agreement with you. I remember when a new Mario game was something event-worthy with quite a while in between releases. It feels like Nintendo is just pinching this loaf out before the Wii U version drops. Perhaps they wouldn't have to utilize the franchise so much if they delved further into their catalog or created a new mascot.

Youtube disagrees with you :p
Yes, I noticed, it saddens me. lol

Mario's a pretty unique game, in that if Mario didn't exist, there wouldn't be any replacement for it. The closest replacement is Giana for the 2D games.

As a result, I always welcome more Mario. :p Though I don't like the new 2D games as much as Mario 3 or World, they're still pretty great and very fun to play.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wat

You serious bro

Game soundtracks have fallen off this gen imo, but every so often we get a new classic. The Galaxy games and Kid Icarus have some fantastic, memorable tunes.
I don't think soundtracks have fallen off this gen at all. There are loads of memorable soundtracks this generation.

From Nintendo? Not so much. Nearly everything they release is saddled with boring music (with a few exceptions).

I called it 3 hours before you dude.

and you both are almost guaranteed to be disapointed. GAF will fill any void with the most amazing thing imaginable when it comes to stuff like the 1,000,000 coin bonus. and sure, Nintendo made it sound like a big deal, but even if it had been 'you can play as Wario' or similar, i'd bet loads of people would still be really upset like 'he doesn't play any different to Mario and why do i want to replay all these levels as Wario after i've been grinding them for coins' or what have you.

you get a cool title screen. if that's not worth griding a million coins for to you, don't bother. i'm only going to do it if the level design encourages me to set up huge coin pay outs, and doing so makes the game more fun.

we know what the reward is now, lets please stop imagining that it's still some amazing super secret thing like giving you the DLC for free.

Am I the only one who was expecting something lame for the million coins reward? at best i'd expect a single stage that is kind of tricky like Galaxy 2 and 3D land but i'm actually kind of glad that's not the case so I don't bore myself into a coin farming frenzy just for it.

That said it's on Sunshine levels of awful reward, actually nothing is worse than Sunshine's 120 shine bonus.

Am I the only one who was expecting something lame for the million coins reward? at best i'd expect a single stage that is kind of tricky like Galaxy 2 and 3D land but i'm actually kind of glad that's not the case so I don't bore myself into a coin farming frenzy just for it.

The whole game is superlazy, so I was expecting them to fuck this up.

That said it's on Sunshine levels of awful reward, actually nothing is worse than Sunshine's 120 shine bonus.

This one is not too different from SMS though

Anth0ny

That's not how I always feel, though. See: This bad boy and this shebang.

That's just me personally, though.

Well, the first one is from Mario 64. And the second sounded like a Battle with Magus ripoff from the moment I first heard it :lol

Skyward Sword had some great tracks, though. Like this and this and this. Still weak by Zelda standards, though.

I actually don't hate the music in the NSMB games. I hate the fact that they've been recycled and all the BAH BAH shit. It sounds a lot better played on a piano.

JoeInky

in the case I want to play a mario game for 3DS, 3D Land or this one?

I'd go with NSMB2, personally I didn't think SM3DL was that great, and NSMB2 looks like it would have a bit more longevity with the spotpass stuff, coin rush mode and DLC.

SM3DL really has no reason to be played again once you've 100%'d it (though that will probably take a bit longer than NSMB2).

in the case I want to play a mario game for 3DS, 3D Land or this one?

Well I haven't played NSMB2 yet. However, based on my personal preference I'd go with SM3DL. I had tons of fun with the title and it really was creative and a joy all the way through. However, if you'd prefer 2D mario with the tried and true method go with NSMB2.

Tookay

1. Make coin gimmick out to be emphasized part of metagame.
2. Don't make coin gimmick emphasized part of metagame.
3. ???
4. Sell millions of copies anyway.

Top Bottom