• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Finished the first world with all the medals with my bro, and the
first secret world.

Very fun, and with an ocassional lag(?) and "fuck off that was my power-up!"

Now to try out the coin rush mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some of the star coins are very well hidden this time. Just made it to World 3. Game is great so far.

Are they hidden in smart but logical places, or hidden under drops that you'd never go down because you'd expect to die, or above the screen needing you to hit a random invisible block to get up there?

Captain N

Did the first coin rush 3 times so far. Sitting at 5358 so far. A little over 20,000 overall coins. I am liking the game a lot more than I thought I would.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
Done! Defeated the game and got all the secrets, coins and worlds. Looks good to have that 5 star rating :)

Now all that remains is to collect those million coins! I currently have a little more than 110.000 coins, so it's gonna be a while I guess ;)

BowieZ

Banned
Are they hidden in smart but logical places, or hidden under drops that you'd never go down because you'd expect to die, or above the screen needing you to hit a random invisible block to get up there?
There are sufficient clues for all I've gotten so far.

For instance, if you get taken into what appears to be a bonus coin room and it's nothing amazing, chances are there's something hidden above or below.

But usually there's something out of place or something that would otherwise serve no purpose.

JoeInky

Is it true that the game has depth of field only when the 3d slider is on, and when playing in 2d mode the backgrounds are crisp and clear?

Yeah that's true.

Time for another day of coin rush. I got over 3000 coins on 2-4 but I just keep missing that flag pole, why do I find it so hard to triple jump in this game.

Yeah that's true.

Time for another day of coin rush. I got over 3000 coins on 2-4 but I just keep missing that flag pole, why do I find it so hard to triple jump in this game.
You don't need to tripple jump. Just kill the enemy, return to the pipe, start running and jump off from the highest edge. That's how I do it. I have a new highscore btw: 26.875 coins, but fucked up a lot, so yeah..

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
You don't need to tripple jump. Just kill the enemy, return to the pipe, start running and jump off from the highest edge. That's how I do it. I have a new highscore btw: 26.875 coins, but fucked up a lot, so yeah..

26.875?! Holy hell, I am not getting past the 8K mark. Haha, still a lot of ways to go it seems.

JoeInky

I'm at 26210 + fuckup at the moment.

coin%20rush%203.png

If I'd collected one more coin on the first level, I would have beaten you.

JoeInky

Oh wow... :(

I just found out that the limit in coin rush mode is 30.000 coins. You can't get higher than that...

What.

What.

Well this just fucking ruined any replayability once I get to 30k, what are you thinking Nintendo?

They need to patch this shit like they did with mario kart, that's fucking ridiculous, I could see a 99999 cap or something but 30k?

What.

What.

Well this just fucking ruined any replayability once I get to 30k, what are you thinking Nintendo?

They need to patch this shit like they did with mario kart, that's fucking ridiculous, I could see a 99999 cap or something but 30k?
Yeah, friend of mine posted his score on facebook. I thought it's probably the mushroom pack only, but he said he got that score in the star pack. He had around 19k when he beat the boss in the last stage, but the counter stopped at 30k. Way to kill an addictive and competitive feature like that.

Well, new goal is 30k in coin rush mode and 9.999.999 coins in the game. I'm kinda pissed now...

Played up to fourth castle with my brother today. Never really did co-op in NSMB Wii so this is something of a new experience; differently paced to how I'd usually play Mario, but very satisfying.

Having too much fun with the game to be bothered by asset recycling or whatever the issue is people have with it.

JoeInky

Well, new goal is 30k in coin rush mode and 9.999.999 coins in the game. I'm kinda pissed now...

Same, I was looking forward to seeing who would be first to break 30k and see how far beyond we could get.

coin%20rush%204.png

I almost got 29k but I've kinda lost a lot of enthusiasm now.

I don't get why they would do this though, you never have a full timer anyway so it's not as if people would be able to get scores like 50k easily and breeze to a million.

I mean, I guess we could just take screent shots of the third flagpole with the x2 by pressing the home button, opening notes and putting the game screen on it.

But it wouldn't feel the same...

Same, I was looking forward to seeing who would be first to break 30k and see how far beyond we could get.

coin%20rush%204.png

I almost got 29k but I've kinda lost a lot of enthusiasm now.

I don't get why they would do this though, you never have a full timer anyway so it's not as if people would be able to get scores like 50k easily and breeze to a million.
Yeah :(... Congratulations on that score tho :)!

Nintendo is strange sometimes. It totally makes no sense. I mean 3724986723687293567% no fucking sense. What is this bullshit?!

Okay i've done all the stages and got all the coins, i'm pretty much done here so now I can reach a proper conclusion.
Is NSMB2 better than NSMB Wii? not quite, Mario games are never particularly tricky but they have a noticeable curve, NSMB2 sort of drops the curve around world 4 and it never really feels like the difficulty heads much higher bar one of two exceptions.

The hidden aspect of the game is a mixed bag, on one hand it may have the most fun to search for star coins in the NSMB games but there are a surprising amount of secret exits and coins hidden up in the sky through the use of vines/Beanstalk blocks and the bizarre thing is how most invisible blocks are poorly telegraphed, I can go through certain stages finding tons of invisible 1-up or superstar blocks in positions that makes some semblance of sense yet the vines are usually just baffling in their placement, rarely did I feel satisfied finding these exits aside from "well at least i'm no longer spending the next 20 minutes going up and down this stage". The fact that these games no longer indicate which stages have secret exits is just plain annoying leading you on a guess work run around.

Coin Rush seems to be a fundamentally flawed mode, as well as the coin cap mentioned recently in this thread there's also too much of a luck based element to the proceedings which is a shame because the mode in itself is pretty fun.

Without spoiling anything the Star World isn't much to get excited about, it's handily eclipsed by World 9 (NSMBwii) and the special World (SMW). The dash cannons is a nice concept that are too few in number yet also a bit "off" so to speak. I think it was the one in the flower world that made me feel that these stages are really designed specifically for Super Mario to the point even that regular/small Mario can get tripped up slightly , oh and have you entered these stages with say a raccoon tail? yeah it's kind of messed up.

But on some more positive notes it's still top notch Mario platforming in here, the level design can be smart, it has variety, there is a unique touch and feel from the newer team who designed these stages. Typically i'd say some stages are more varied or complex with their layouts, it's nice to have mountainous stages that head downwards or a water stage in the confined vertical space of a tower. On that point there is a lot of water stages in this game, some are kind of fresh while the others are some of the most bland in the entire series, I think we could've done without some of them. The cliff theme is underused, I always thought this was the best world theme brought in by the NSMB series so it's a shame how few cliff stages there are.

Ah the Music, not much to say here as it's mostly NSMBWii with more voice effects, sue me because I dig those voices, the athletic theme goes hilariously overboard with it which reminds me some Yoshi's Story style stuff. It still sucks though that they didn't come up with any new music for the most part.

I covered most of the game earlier on anyway so no need to go and repeat myself, it's a fun Mario game of that I don't doubt, it's just that there's not much new in this new super mario bros and at the same time it doesn't really excel over any other 2D Mario in any department really aside from how coin collecting is made much more enjoyable.
But it's fun so really that's the bottom line, do you like fun? I should hope so.

pa22word

Time to completion: roughly 4 hours

I beat it a bit ago, and honestly it was about what I expected: Ninty really phoned this one in. It's not as bad as NSMB is, but given context I can't quite find it in me to sing any praises for the title. The game has some pretty decent stage design though, I'll give it that. Twas much too easy and the game never really shined at any point because of it. Music was really bad. '3D' (ie 'depth of field blur' mode out the ass) was pretty worthless, and this is actually the first title I've played on the system that I can say the game looks 100% better with it off than with it on.

Was it fun? Yeah. Is it memorable in any way, shape, or form? No. Honestly I see NSMBU in the same spot MM6 was. Slightly better than MM5 with some interesting mechanics, but the series is so past the point of over-saturation no one outside of the hardcore fans of the series are really going to care anymore. 2D Mario needs a Mega Man X, and it needs it fast. As sad as it makes me say, I don't really see anything pleasant in store for the series in the long term unless it really gets that MMX style entry that comes in and really shakes things up.

oh and was I the only one who noticed mario looks up *only* if you tilt the analog stick up o_o?

I beat it a bit ago, and honestly it was about what I expected: Ninty really phoned this one in. It's not as bad as NSMB is, but given context I can't quite find it in me to sing any praises for the title. The game has some pretty decent stage design though, I'll give it that. Twas much too easy and the game never really shined at any point because of it. Music was really bad. '3D' (ie 'depth of field blur' mode out the ass) was pretty worthless, and this is actually the first title I've played on the system that I can say the game looks 100% better with it off than with it on.

Was it fun? Yeah. Is it memorable in any way, shape, or form? No. Honestly I see NSMBU in the same spot MM6 was. Slightly better than MM5 with some interesting mechanics, but the series is so past the point of over-saturation no one outside of the hardcore fans of the series are really going to care anymore. 2D Mario needs a Mega Man X, and it needs it fast. As sad as it makes me say, I don't really see anything pleasant in store for the series in the long term unless it really gets that MMX style entry that comes in and really shakes things up.

oh and was I the only one who noticed mario looks up *only* if you tilt the analog stick up o_o?
Well Iwata said theres only gonna be 1 NSMB per system. So if they make a new 2D mario for 3DS or WiiU it will not follow the NSMB series in any way.

JoeInky

the series is so past the point of over-saturation no one outside of the hardcore fans of the series are really going to care anymore.

I don't think this is true personally.

In terms of the NSMB series, we've had a shit game that was reviewed highly just because it was the resurgence of 2D mario, we've had a great co-op game with a really good difficulty curve and we've had a game based around an addictive score attack mode that Nintendo have ruined by giving it a 30k coin cap.

I don't think we're even remotely close to over-saturation (or even plain old saturation) yet.

This is a good analogy, though i'm still yet to finish MM5, pretty sure my VC version is sitting in the castle stages. I too am feeling the need for a Mario shakeup now.
Oh and yeah I noticed the looking up thing, I was kind of shocked considering he didn't do it in the previous 2 entries if memory serves.

Jarsonot

I'm hoping that the "only 1 per console" thing won't matter much anymore, thanks to DLC. If they keep supporting this throughout the 3DSs lifespan it could be pretty freaking awesome.

And I'm hoping too that they buff up the 1,000,000 coin award as well.

JoeInky

I'm hoping that the "only 1 per console" thing won't matter much anymore, thanks to DLC. If they keep supporting this throughout the 3DSs lifespan it could be pretty freaking awesome.

And I'm hoping too that they buff up the 1,000,000 coin award as well.

I think this will be the only NSMB that ends up with DLC, I doubt U will unless the DLC is really successful and Nintendo add coin rush or some other score attack mode to it.

And I don't care if they don't want to buff the 1m reward, They just need to remove the coin rush cap. But I know they just won't

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
the series is so past the point of over-saturation no one outside of the hardcore fans of the series are really going to care anymore

I disagree with this statement. I mean, take a look at the sales numbers for the past NSMB games:

NSMB DS, 2006, 29M LTD*
NSMB Wii, 2009, 26M LTD**

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold almost the same amount of units in half the time span of the DS version. That's just insane. Take a look at the 3DS. When Mario Kart 7/Super Mario 3D Land were released, the sales of the 3DS skyrocketed around the world. People want Mario.

Which is why I think the 3DS will get a nice boost and the launch of the Wii U is going to be really successful for Nintendo. Think about it, the last time consumers enjoyed a 2D Mario title on their TV was back in '09. While New Super Mario Bros. U might not set the world on fire for gamers, mainstream consumers won't be able to resist the fat plumber. Toss in the fact that they slightly change the mechanics from every version (see JoeInky's post), I don't really wanna say that the NSMB franchise is close to 'saturation' of any kind.

*http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/ds.html
**http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html

pa22word

I don't think we're even remotely close to over-saturation (or even plain old saturation) yet.

The fact they could barely squeeze 4 hours out of the new gimmick of the week along with the lukewarm at best reception of the title speaks to the contrary.

I disagree with this statement. I mean, take a look at the sales numbers

Because I was clearly talking about sales numbers with that post.

JoeInky

The fact they could barely squeeze 4 hours out of the new gimmick of the week.

Did you actually play any coin rush mode at all? Or get all the star coins and secret exits?

I've sunk 24 hours into the game so far, 75% of which was probably spent in coin rush.

What does time spent playing have to do with saturation anyway? I wouldn't say they were directly linked. I spend a lot of time playing tribes ascend, does that mean the market isn't saturated with FPS's because I spent a lot of time playing it?

pa22word

Did you actually play any coin rush mode at all? Or get all the star coins and secret exits?

No, and I shouldn't have to. If the game doesn't fully explore it's mechanics by the time the credits role then it has failed. I shouldn't have to arbitrarily find xxx number of coins hidden in levels x-x and x-y for the game to show me how great it is.

World didn't have this problem, neither of the Galaxy games, SMB1, SMB3, nor any truly great title has this problem.

What does time spent playing have to do with saturation anyway?

What? Time spent playing the title has nothing to do with my post. The fact that ninty could, by no modern standards, squeeze a full retail title out of the gimmick in an already incredibly derivative title was the crux of the post. I didn't rush through the title and by no means am I even an above average 2d mario player. I could easily see someone good at these games beat this in >2 hours on a first run, and for a $40 retail title that's already extremely derivative that's a little hard to swallow.

Sounds like this would have been better off as a E-shop title. Also wtf at the limit in coin rush mode. You can tell Nintendo rushed this game out and it was made by complete noobies. There will only be 2 of these games per generation. Nintendo can do so much better, and we should expect more to be honest.

Yes Boss!

What? Time spent playing the title has nothing to do with my post. The fact that ninty could, by no modern standards, squeeze a full retail title out of the gimmick in an already incredibly derivative title was the crux of the post. I didn't rush through the title and by no means am I even an above average 2d mario player. I could easily see someone good at these games beat this in >2 hours on a first run, and for a $40 retail title that's already extremely derivative that's a little hard to swallow.

Have you played these types if games before? Honest question.

Mario games are never about seeing the credits roll. That usually takes about four hours. Then another twenty to 100%, playthrough again, unlock the stars.

I'm at world four after five hours. Seems on par with every other mario game released.

Silly to write off the Coin Rush mode. That is a significant portion of the game.

Have you played these types if games before? Honest question.

Mario games are never about seeing the credits roll. That usually takes about four hours. Then another twenty to 100%, playthrough again, unlock the stars.

I'm at world four after five hours. Seems on par with every other mario game released.

Silly to write off the Coin Rush mode. That is a significant portion of the game.

Is there still no way to compare your scores to anyone besides going online and talking about it with people? Seems like a good reason not to care.

Top Bottom