• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

JoeInky

The eShop description says that the game has over 80 levels, though. Are you sure about that?

I think it counts the warp cannon dash levels as actual levels, they don't have star coins in them.

I went and counted all the levels with star coins and it is 80.

On the subject of 3Dland and NSMB2, they're both good games, land has more challenge in the main game and it's a new type of mario game whereas NSMB2 has lots of variety and the challenge in it is found in the coin rush. They're both fun, if you're wanting a galaxy-2 lite go for land, but if you just want some classic 2D platforming with a twist go for NSMB2.

Ideally, just get both eventually.

Letep

Hi. Just picked my copy up at GameStop. Preorder. Although the golden pin preorder bonus was allegedly "online only" or do said the clerk.

Anyone know the deal with this?

Downhome

I have been playing for over 2 hours and I'm still in the first world. I'm taking it slow so I can play the biggest chunk of the game on the XL which should be here on Wednesday from newegg. I'm trying to do everything I can as I play it through until then.

I have 57 lives, and so far the star coins I've had the hardest time finding were the second one in W1-Fort (or whatever it's called) and the last one in W1-A. I did finally find them both though. I still have three levels in the first world to complete, and I haven't tried any of those yet. If I keep at this pace I could see myself logging in around 18-20 hours for me to complete everything.

t26

Does this game have glittering star if you finish without dieing more than a certain number of times?

hachi

Banned
It reminds me more of a swastika.

Oh, so you mean it's yet another Zelda reference.

<_<

level3-300x255.gif

On topic, I find the depth-blur effect to be very pleasing. I also love how the 3D effect causes certain types of glowing elements (particularly lava and ghosts) to appear more luminous than they do in 2D. It's hard to describe, but something in the parallax gives them a unique texture, as is similarly the case with shiny or reflective objects in a number of other 3DS games.

WatTsu

Yeah it's not really anything new and yeah it looks a lot like previous NSMB games but dangit all if I'm not really enjoying it anyway. I wanted some Mario, and this is some good Mario.

Javier

Got my cart copy today and been playing so far to the first Castle in World 2. Fun game, typical Mario platformer, but the coin hunting does add an extra layer to it. I can see speedruns being done up the ass for this game.

Coin count: 5,329

I was really surprised at how many people there were at my local GameStop this morning when it opened. There were at least 4 kids there picking up NSMB2 and they had at least 30 of them behind the counter in their pre-order waiting area. These games really sell! I'm curious if we'll see the same turnout with Wii U NSMB game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's not really anything new and yeah it looks a lot like previous NSMB games but dangit all if I'm not really enjoying it anyway. I wanted some Mario, and this is some good Mario.
Pretty much. Wasn't looking for a new experience, 3d land had that in spades. After playing spelunky I just wanted another rad platformer which this certainly is. I prefer spelunky though. Game is masterful.

daakusedo

Star-1 level is totally made for coins rush and I was thinking how do I change these blocks in coins outside of the begining.
Now the thing is to be lucky to get it in the selection.
Ghost houses had a great final with the world 6 one, so tricky, mid-castle too, I bet its gameplay idea will be used again in nsmbu if each teams have look at each others, there are some obvious things sometimes, you wonder why they didn't think of it before, same for the coins, rewarding exploration and cool moves by triggering them was neat, they should use it in the wiiu game.

Hi. Just picked my copy up at GameStop. Preorder. Although the golden pin preorder bonus was allegedly "online only" or do said the clerk.

Anyone know the deal with this?

I believe the bonus was online only. Which really pissed me off because I haven't preordered from them in forever and the one time I finally do the bonus is online only..

NateDrake

Dammit I'm 1 Star Coin short of access
Star World
. Loving this game, though. May not bring anything new to the franchise but it is a blast to play. Excellent level design all around.

Noema

Game's up in the eShop here in Mexico, going for a whopping USD $60. Nintendo is really afraid of stepping on the toes of retailers with this one.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, this game. This game

actually better than I thought it would. Level design is top notch. EONS better than NSMB and yes, even better than NSMBWii

Importing this game to my country = roughly $80us

Buying this game from the Brazilian eShop (the only eShop I can access that doesn't require an address to verify my credit card) = roughly $70us.

Sigh.

Mafro

So, is NSMB 2 at least better than the original NSMB? Because that was the most mediocre platformer I've probably ever played. But the Wii game was great -- level designs were a lot better.

I'm hoping this is closer to the Wii one in terms of design...
It's the best NSMB game yet, in my opinion. Feel much more like the NES and SNES games than the other two.

Currygan

Importing this game to my country = roughly $80us

Buying this game from the Brazilian eShop (the only eShop I can access that doesn't require an address to verify my credit card) = roughly $70us.

Sigh.

some guys tried the Canadian eshop, but maybe you already did it

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if the improved feel and level design some folks are finding, is due to the game only being designed for 2 player co-op.

NSMB Wii dramatically improved on NSMB DS, but by the same token, had to account for potentially four players in every course. I felt a lot of courses were not as dense and deliberate as they might have been, if not for making room for four players.

Currygan

I wonder if the improved feel and level design some folks are finding, is due to the game only being designed for 2 player co-op.

NSMB Wii dramatically improved on NSMB DS, but by the same token, had to account for potentially four players in every course. I felt a lot of courses were not as dense and deliberate as they might have been, if not for making room for four players.

that's a good guess, but I also think coins and secret paths played a role in increasing the density of the level design. It's hard to accumulate tons of money when levels are a bit empty

okay the us eshop doesn't accept my credit card, someone know if there is any problem buying from canadian eshop? i don't want surprise taxes or anything like that

EDIT: Nevermind already buyed it, i got charge $2 Canadian Dollars but still is like 15 usd more cheap than retail in my country

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now the thing is to be lucky to get it in the selection.

Thing is, while it is nice to have a 30k score, a lower score with a "poor" selection of level can be just as impressive. Streetpassers have to beat your score with the same levels not just any level.

zroid

Banned
Just played 1-1 and...

for all the disappointment I may or may not have expressed over the last few weeks...

I don't even give a fuck, you guys, I love this game. Coin Block Hat is hnnnngh. Way more fun than in 3D Land!

Been playing this game and have been enjoying it alot! I'm finished with world two and mushroom except for world two's last secret exit. I'm gonna youtube that right now. Atleast youtube which level its in. Arg!! I've checked every level in the second half of the map lol...

Got the download version since I figured I would getthe retail version later for some multiplayer. May as well get double the points now :D

Still feel sad over not getting the retail version since I like boxes and cartridges/disks/game cards butI'll get it eventually to collect and for multiplayer so I'm cool with this game. Its gonna be hard for AC since I know its better suited for digital...no matter how much I want the box D:

Anywayz: Me and my family usually make lame videos for fun when we are bored and we did a episode for NSMB2 and uploaded it today in a episode of our "YouTube News" series.

Basically in the series we start talking aboyt a  subject (in this case, NSMB2) and then get completely sidetracked. Watch it and it might make you laugh. (Probably not.) Towards the end I start singing a couple Mario songs all with the NSMB's bahs lol. After the 12 second part where I say goto my channel you can watch a couple bloopers/extra/behind the scenes.

Video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-QQFcuAnkQ

Hope yall rike it.

Now back to more Mario. I am enjoying this more than I thought I would :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Holy crap the vocaloid synth in 1-4 is a disaster, that's a new low for poor MIDI instrumentation in a Nintendo game!

Peff

&#8593; Yes, someone tell me if this game has a mark of shame. :p

Apparently it does, but unlike NSMBW it seems the glitter only disappears if you actually use the cheat item... and you can get it back by finishing the level without it. So yeah.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
More like new high. Can't get enough of those BAHS!

In the background in other levels it's not so bad, but in 1-4 where it's the dominant synth used, oh my god. It's almost farce. It's like Nintendo heard how much I hated the lame pipe organ synth they used in NSMBW and decided to 1up themselves.

Edit: Argh, I spoke too soon, they reuse the pipe organ synth as welllllll ughhhh

Wiz

Which do you guys find yourself using more, the Circle Pad or the D-Pad?

Switching between both to get a feel of what works best.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just played 1-1 and...

for all the disappointment I may or may not have expressed over the last few weeks...

I don't even give a fuck, you guys, I love this game. Coin Block Hat is hnnnngh. Way more fun than in 3D Land!

Still should have been a new Wario Land game, considering all the coins.

Game is entertaining enough for me so far, but the music is horrible like all NSMB games.

Which do you guys find yourself using more, the Circle Pad or the D-Pad?

Switching between both to get a feel of what works best.

I didn't even think about touching the circle pad and I probably never will for this game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still should have been a new Wario Land game, considering all the coins.

Wario Land games play completely differently and there's more to them than just collecting coins.

I'm a circle pad user myself. Didn't really think about, just used what my hands were used to.

zroid

Banned
I find myself going back and forth between d-pad and circle pad right now. Not entirely comfortable with either. I think once I switch to the XL, I will be all-in for d-pad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wario Land games play completely differently and there's more to them than just collecting coins.

I'm a circle pad user myself. Didn't really think about, just used what my hands were used to.

Obviously I didn't mean just throw Wario into the game and call it good. I meant design the game around it, slow ass Wario controls, treasure and all. It would have been much fitting. As it stands, collecting coins in NSMB2 has no story, or other tie in. It's a gimmick and an excuse to pump out another NSMB title, as admitted by Iwata of all people.

I'm glad the streetpass is actually worth using now, which is the one thing this game has over 3D Land
And maybe the only thing :p
. Of course, it helps living in a city where I will pass 2-5 people per day and it'll matter. I feel bad for all those people with ten life time streetpasses.

Top Bottom