• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

IrishNinja

Has Nintendo fixed their shitty Wii/DS/DSi/3DS purchase history system? Can I purchase this game now, sell my 3DS later on, then download the game again onto my new 3DSXL without them giving me shit?

not officially no, but ive linked games to my club nintendo account and gotten them back with a phone call...shit is very not ideal yet, but hopefully the forthcoming user accounts patch that shit right up

You're making two separate purchases at two separate stores. Why wouldn't you pay taxes twice? If you don't want to pay two separate sales tax fees, don't make purchases at two separate stores.

Well I'm not going to any more. I was blind sighted by it because I was never charged double taxes when I bought a game from the WiiWare store using points. So after I bought my first 3DS e-shop card and learned that I was also being taxed on my e-shop purchases, I didn't buy another.

not officially no, but ive linked games to my club nintendo account and gotten them back with a phone call...shit is very not ideal yet, but hopefully the forthcoming user accounts patch that shit right up

This is also why downloading sucks. I'm thinking about getting a 3DSXL soon, and last I heard, Nintendo was in no hurry to give us the ability to transfer games over WITH our save data. Has this changed?

edit: sorry for DP

zroid

Banned
Quick Look was fun. A few factual errors and blatant ignorance, but that's to be expected. :p

Jeff and the others were pretty damn fair in their assessment of the game.

Why are you taking it to a bank? Are you putting it in a safe deposit box?

Where else would you suggest keeping all those coins!

IrishNinja

This is also why downloading sucks. I'm thinking about getting a 3DSXL soon, and last I heard, Nintendo was in no hurry to give us the ability to transfer games over WITH our save data. Has this changed?

not sure i understand - if you do a system transfer, everything goes, including saves and all other user data. if you're asking do your saves go on a cloud you can recover way later, nah

Downhome

I am so tempted to cancel my newegg order for this game and just download it right now since they have yet to ship the game to me like they did the XL system itself. Augh!!!!!!!

I am so tempted to cancel my newegg order for this game and just download it right now since they have yet to ship the game to me like they did the XL system itself. Augh!!!!!!!

If you ordered with egg saver shipping, it'll take at least a week to get there.

You're making two separate purchases at two separate stores. Why wouldn't you pay taxes twice? If you don't want to pay two separate sales tax fees, don't make purchases at two separate stores.

This is incorrect. If you live in a state that taxes you when buying the points, you shouldn't be taxed when you spend those points. The opposite is true too. Where I live they don't tax the gift card, but you do get taxed on purchases made in the eshop, which I get around by lying on the e-shop about which state I live in. Now no tax on either transaction. Same goes for PSN and iTunes.

Rockman

not sure i understand - if you do a system transfer, everything goes, including saves and all other user data. if you're asking do your saves go on a cloud you can recover way later, nah

I just want to ability to retrieve and play my past purchases wether its on a secondary console or a new one all together. MS and Sony have proven its possible without cheating them $$$. As far as saves those can easily be moved via the SD card correct?

Is it just me or is this insanely uncomfortable to play, not sure why. Maybe it's just the hard edges of the 3DS, but my hand is cramping like mad playing this.

Teknoman

I just want to ability to retrieve and play my past purchases wether its on a secondary console or a new one all together. MS and Sony have proven its possible without cheating them $$$. As far as saves those can easily be moved via the SD card correct?

It should happen once they get the rest of the network set when WiiU hits. At least I think.

IrishNinja

well like i said, ive switched 3DS's and linked my CN account and had access, older shit like ambassador games took a phone call. it's not 100% but it's what they're doing for now, i guess.
and you're correct about the SD card saves, its literally copy/paste as i recall.

Got this bad boy for only $24 through eshop. Thank you random iPhone app that allows me to download apps for PSN/3DS cards :D

My only peoblem with downloading it is, I can't sell it once I'm done with it. I'm stuck with it. Oh well, guess the $20 I saved makes up for it in the long run.

BooJoh

As far as I know the only issue with losing saves during transfer is when transferring DSiWare from a DSi to a 3DS. Not sure about DSiWare from 3DS to 3DS.

Rockman

Got this bad boy for only $24 through eshop. Thank you random iPhone app that allows me to download apps for PSN/3DS cards :D

My only peoblem with downloading it is, I can't sell it once I'm done with it. I'm stuck with it. Oh well, guess the $20 I saved makes up for it in the long run.

You did what now? o_O . For $24.00 I'm willing to put up with some inconveniences :p

Move to Alaska. That's what I did. Now no tax when I buy credit on the e-shop, and no tax when I buy the games from the e-shop. With that said, there's no way I'm buying Mario for 40 dollars with no means to trade it in. Getting it for 29.99 retail, and will most likely trade it in down the road or sell it for close to the same price I bought it for.

I didn't really move

I moved.... years ago. FUck yes no taxes on Gaming. Makes Amazon pointless for new purchases.

well like i said, ive switched 3DS's and linked my CN account and had access, older shit like ambassador games took a phone call. it's not 100% but it's what they're doing for now, i guess.
and you're correct about the SD card saves, its literally copy/paste as i recall.

Ah I'm glad they fixed that. I remember last year debating on whether or not I was going to transfer my DSi game data over to my 3DS, but ultimately chose not too because it woudn't keep my saves.

Downhome

If you're talking about club Nintendo points, yes. In fact, for this particular game, you get extra points when you choose this mode of purchase.

I just broke down and canceled my newegg order and downloaded it instead. I couldn't wait, not even if I was saving $10. I can wait on the XL system since I already have a 3DS, but I couldn't wait on this game. It took 15 minutes to download and I have now played it that long as well. God I loves Mario games. I'll always buy them up, no matter what, as long as the basic ingredients are there.

I'm gonna take it very slow so I can play the majority of it on the XL though.

Are the points automatic or how do you get them added?

It's live.

GOGOGO
You are already late.

Anywayz: just got to the mushroom world and I kept falling through the walls in teh first level lolz.

I am really enjoying it ao far. I was afraid I wouldn't, especially since I just replayed NSMB and NSMBW for a 100% playthrough, but I am enjoying it, a lot. It does feel different than the other NSMB games. Way way better than NSMB but I am not sure how it compares to NSMBW yet.

The only real problem is of course super easy bosses :/ and the 3D effect is....dirty. I love the blur effect but especially when theres a blue sky the screen looks like there is dirt on the screen when its just the game. I kept trying to clean the screen off. Weird...

But yea, enjoying it. Too bad I couldn't take that gold mario out've the level! It was awesome as was the racoon tail. I need to learn to stop tapping the button when I'm floating tho XD.

Ugh, I really do hate the D-Pad and shape of the 3DS. i should've gone with a XL...Too late now. Gotta save for WiiU. Will get one early next year.

It feels so weird having a huge game like this as a download. Sure I have downloads of Infamous 2 and Sly Cooper on my PS3 since I got them free on + but it feels different with a Nintendo game...

This is the first mario game that I plan to 100% on my first playthrough. Wahoo!

Downhome

I always keep 3D Land in my 3DS system or case, so it'll be nice to always have NSMB2 ready to go whenever I want. I have a bad feeling I could easily get hooked on just downloading games for the same reason, or at least the big titles.

BowieZ

Banned
I've gotta say, the game's getting more and more creative the further I get in it (like NSMBWii), but it's just a shame there couldn't have been another 2 worlds (11 total).

How hard could it have been to rig up two extra 3D map models and churn out a bunch of levels using existing assets?

Like, Boo's Swamp World (ghost, scary, poison water assets) and Catacomb Maze World (underground, pipes, ice, some ruins).

Downhome

I wonder when exactly the DLC will be released for it. I just started playing the game and I'm already ready to download more.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Golly this game feels/looks/sounds great. Tons of secret little places, too. All around Good Feel Bros.

Coin Rush is hard. D: I want to get as many of dem coins as I can, but I am my own worst enemy, running out of time.

Didn't think I would like it as much as I am. Only did World 1 and 1/2 of World 2 and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Coin Rush mode is pretty awesome, trying to nail that optimal coin-to-time ratio is damn fun.

Exeunt

Played for just over an hour, so I'll have some extremely minor level spoilers in my post.

World 1 wasn't anything special (it rarely is) but it's still quite fun and I do play a bit differently milking all the coins out of a given level. I'm stumped on the Star Coins for the fortress (middle) and 1-
A
(end) and I'd like to get them before moving onto World 2 but I think I'll hunt again tomorrow. The game doesn't feel "lazy" so far except for the music, which almost seems like a parody of itself at this point to be honest. I thought the level in which you
move through the "lever" type blocks (1-A)
felt rather imaginative and if this is a "safe" entry with some good levels I'll probably be satisfied.

I actually think the 3D effect is rather nice; it isn't distracting but it adds another "layer" to the visuals even if it doesn't go far into the screen; underwater and castle levels also seem to benefit from 3D. I played through New Super Mario Bros. Wii on an HDTV and the DS installment was always "okay" for its respective system so perhaps the visuals look better in comparison, but it appears very clean with the occasional jaggies I've come to expect from 3DS titles.

Overall I'm happy with how it looks and plays—in terms of overall experience, I'm glad the eShop was running smoothly for the "midnight launch." I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow!

Provider

The American eShop won't take my credit cards :'( and the Mexican store is selling the game for US$62 -- Any ideas I could try?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wish I hadn't seen the cannon level stuff ahead of time, that would've been a great surprise if I just expected the cannons to work like the previous NSMB games.

I'm through world one, and part of the way into "a couple other worlds," and I am pretty happy with it. "It's Mario," but there are enough little tweaks and surprises here and there, and there's enough polish in the visuals and control and sound effects and interface to just really make it an extremely enjoyable experience. A lot more creativity in level design in what I've played so far than what I expected, too. Definitely feels like a "2."

A fair surprise after the negativity earlier in this thread really started to bum me out. Hope I get some StreetPass tags over the next few weeks, too. It feels like the real fun in Coin Rush mode is gonna be in trying to beat other peoples' scores, rather than setting my own.

Just finished 1-1, and I can already tell that the environments, models, and animations are even better than NSMBWii's. The 3D effect is pretty neat, too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm on this tomorrow after I grab my XL. I'm pretty damn excited! The game looks so good!

Top Bottom