• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Sounds like this would have been better off as a E-shop title. Also wtf at the limit in coin rush mode. You can tell Nintendo rushed this game out and it was made by complete noobies. There will only be 2 of these games per generation. Nintendo can do so much better, and we should expect more to be honest.
You don't know what you are talking about. The game feels and plays great. The only odd thing is the coin rush mode highscore limit. Easy to patch if they hear the customers voices. But sure, Nintendo can do much better and we should expect more. Still, NSMB2 is a great game.

You don't know what you are talking about. The game feels and plays great. The only odd thing is the coin rush mode highscore limit. Easy to patch if they hear the customers voices. But sure, Nintendo can do much better and we should expect more. Still, NSMB2 is a great game.

Never said the game wasn't good. What about the lack of online leaderboards? If the game really was developed in 7-8 months I can see where these issues could pop up in a short development.

Since everyone's on about game length I'll say it took me just under 11 hours to grab every star coin, find all the exits and beat all the stages, coin grinding is not up my alley.

Complaining that a platformer is only 4 hours long seems a bit silly, I mean 4 hours isn't actually that bad for a 2D platformer on the basis of simply going through from start to finish. With a lot of platformers I feel if you're not out to nab all the items then you're missing out on half the fun, well until you're jumping around searching for invisible blocks that may or may not exist.

I do however write of coin rush for the most part, I can't see much to trumpet there aside from a good way to grind coins. I'm thinking it could've been a hell of a lot better if....
- 3 Stages would come in proper selectable stage packs instead of just a random selection, always together (eg: 1-1, 2-A and Mushroom-3 could be one pack) and having an online leaderboard for each set of three. This drops the random element so the scoring would be an an even playing field for each stage set.
- there wasn't a coin cap, how very silly.
- The times 2 bonus for the top of the flagpole was removed and just replaced with the Golden Flower flagpole coin scoring setup, I just don't like that idea of doubling the score in that way.

JoeInky

Never said the game wasn't good. What about the lack of online leaderboards? If the game really was developed in 7-8 months I can see where these issues could pop up in a short development.

I wouldn't write off online leader boards until we actually see what the spotpass functionality is, though I do doubt we'll get proper online leaders considering that there's a coin limit.

But, as far as I'm concernced, the single flaw with this game is the coin rush limit.

pa22word

Yet none of the other games have the problem. All of them explore the core mechanics of the game to a very satisfying degree. This game? The coin gimmick is completely meaningless as the reward for utilizing it is extra lives....which is irrelevant to anyone who has two fully functional hands. About the only new mechanic introduced that was compelling and of any worth was the golden fireflower, and that was used in about 4 levels in the entire game...

People keep telling me to play coin rush to see the mechanics come to fruition, and the point is if the game forces me to play a separate little one-off mode just to see it's one introduction to the formula truly shine then it has failed. Period.

I'm at world four after five hours.

I honestly don't believe this.

Silly to write off the Coin Rush mode. That is a significant portion of the game.

I'm not writing it off, simply pointing out how insane it is to defend the game with the logic of "oh hey the mechanics become worhwhile if you play the bonus mode! you'll see!".

zroid

Banned
- 3 Stages would come in proper selectable stage packs instead of just a random selection, always together (eg: 1-1, 2-A and Mushroom-3 could be one pack) and having an online leaderboard for each set of three. This drops the random element so the scoring would be an an even playing field for each stage set.
I was very disappointed and surprised to learn this wasn't the case :(

what is this I don't even?

- The times 2 bonus for the top of the flagpole was removed and just replaced with the Golden Flower flagpole coin scoring setup, I just don't like that idea of doubling the score in that way.
I think the amount of time left should have effected a multiplier in some manner, instead of hitting the top of the flagpole.

Peff

I do however write of coin rush for the most part, I can't see much to trumpet there aside from a good way to grind coins. I'm thinking it could've been a hell of a lot better if....

Yeah, that was quite disappointing. There's also the fact that as far as I can tell the game doesn't seem to track time at all for the normal stages, which was really cool in 3D Land. Even if you get other people's coin counts, there are ways to manipulate that score, whereas time is a more objective marker.

First of all, a shorter development time != rushed. Sure, in 2012 we can and should expect online leaderboards, like they did for Mario Kart. It has a limit in coin rush mode, so they don't need to add online leaders boards lol. It's still patchable, so let's see. But then again, that doesn't make NSMB2 ultimately better or worse. For me it would be enough to get rid of that coin rush mode limit. That's pissing me off big time.

zroid

Banned
I really want to know the reasoning behind that arbitrary limit. It's by far the most baffling decision they've made in this game. Usually I can rationalize most of Nintendo's weird decisions, but not this.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I really want to know the reasoning behind that arbitrary limit. It's by far the most baffling decision they've made in this game. Usually I can rationalize most of Nintendo's weird decisions, but not this.

unlocked in DLC!

I just checked my stats for NSMB2 and I was kinda surprised:

3xux4.png

Clocked in 50 hours already and didn't finish the game yet lol.

watershed

Banned
Having put some time into this game I definitely agree with those 7 to 8 score reviews. Its a solid, fun game but nothing spectacular and lacks any sense of "new".

GWX

Damn, I just found I can't buy games from the american eShop: I'm limited to the brazilian one.

Fuck this shit.

Tim-E

Having put some time into this game I definitely agree with those 7 to 8 score reviews. Its a solid, fun game but nothing spectacular and lacks any sense of "new".

It's pretty much what people should have expected. The hyperbolic vitriol directed toward the game feels unwarranted since people should have known what they were getting into before buying it. Just by looking at the promotional material you could tell whether or not you would enjoy another New Super Mario Bros. game.

Then again, this is a Nintendo game in a GAF thread, so whiny hyperbole should be expected.

Yes Boss!

I just checked my stats for NSMB2 and I was kinda surprised:

Clocked in 50 hours already and didn't finish the game yet lol.

I logged around 65 hours on 3D Land. Can't imagine playing this one that much. I do like to 100% all the save files, though.

Definitely enjoying this more than the first DS game. Maybe a little less than the Wii.

I logged around 65 hours on 3D Land. Can't imagine playing this one that much. I do like to 100% all the save files, though.

Definitely enjoying this more than the first DS game. Maybe a little less than the Wii.

You 100% each save slot? wow lol that is dedication

Bumhead

Banned
How are some of you achieving such high scores in Coin Rush mode? I've only played the Mushroom set so far, but my record upto now is only about 1,000 coins for a whole run..

Vidiot

You know, with how cheap NOA are with the boxes (no inside pictures or gold case for US :/ ) and the shitty fold up manual maybe I will just start downloading games instead of buying boxed copies. Except maybe for Zelda.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, is NSMB 2 at least better than the original NSMB? Because that was the most mediocre platformer I've probably ever played. But the Wii game was great -- level designs were a lot better.

I'm hoping this is closer to the Wii one in terms of design...

JoeInky

How are some of you achieving such high scores in Coin Rush mode? I've only played the Mushroom set so far, but my record upto now is only about 1,000 coins for a whole run..

From earlier on:

A solid 5 hours of coin rush and I still can't touch your score, mailenstein.

Tell me your secrets.

Going to call it quits for a bit, my thumbs don't feel so good.
I saw you talking about 2-4 before. That's a good start. Get the golden flower and don't care about anything around you. No stars, no star coins and no enemies. All you need to do is to get into the yellow pipe and use some "jumping combo skills" over and over again until you have around 10-15 seconds left ;).

It's much better than NSMB but the level design isn't close to Wii, it's just really different being based on the coin rush mode. There's a lot more new features in levels than there were in Wii as well from what I remember.

It's pretty much what people should have expected. The hyperbolic vitriol directed toward the game feels unwarranted since people should have known what they were getting into before buying it. Just by looking at the promotional material you could tell whether or not you would enjoy another New Super Mario Bros. game.

There's been a lot of debate over whether this game is that type of by-the-numbers 'expansion pack' sequel, or whether a new 2D Mario game is still an important, platform-defining release. If people are hyperbolically railing against it, that's because they do still expect it to be the latter. The alternative would be much worse.

Peff

So, is NSMB 2 at least better than the original NSMB? Because that was the most mediocre platformer I've probably ever played. But the Wii game was great -- level designs were a lot better.

It's better executed than NSMB, but the last worlds are more or less as difficult as NSMBW's worlds 3/4, tops. You certainly won't find a 5-Castle, 7-4, 8-7 or 9-7 here.

stuminus3

Sorry if I'm late with this, but did anyone notice the reference to Zelda in 1-A?

nsmb2.png

This is a Manhandla, from the first Zelda game.

ManhandlaLoZ.png

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Manhandla

Thought that was cool, since the Manhandla in LoZ was a reference to the piranha plants in SMB in the first place.

Game is magnificent, by the way. A lazy rehash? Sure, why not, but every single level is packed with immaculate design, cool secrets and lashings of super happy fun awesome time.

JoeInky

hey guys, how do you break the underwater bricks in world 1-5?

Gold flower only, any places underwater that are blocked by bricks and require the gold flower only lead to coins though, so there's no star coins or secret exits behind there if that's what you're thinking.

Yes Boss!

You 100% each save slot? wow lol that is dedication

Yeah, tradition for since Mario 64 with all Mario games. A bit silly, I know. But fun to go for.

Chacranajxy,

This is leagues better than the first NSMB on DS. Just a lot more going on. Far below the Wii version, though. Solid and well worth it with a lot if new coin mechanics...and it is just fun seeing all the coins, kinda arcadey in a sense, with nice lower rez scores that pop up everywhere.

And I'm in the minority but I love the music in the NSMB franchise. This one has a lot of vocals (lalalas, etc).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, tradition for since Mario 64 with all Mario games. A bit silly, I know. But fun to go for.

Chacranaxy,

This is leagues better than the first NSMB on DS. Just a lot more going on. Far below the Wii version, though. Solid and well worth it with a lot if new coin mechanics...and it is just fun seeing all the coins, kinda arcadey in a sense, with nice lower rez scores that pop up everywhere.

And I'm in the minority but I love the music in the NSMB franchise. This one has a lot of vocals (lalalas, etc).

Alright, thanks for the input, guys. Think I'll pick this up... maybe even today.

I'm kind of late to the Mario games on the 3DS. I'm on the fence between buying this game or Super Mario 3D Land. Any recommendations regarding which game I should get would be appreciated.

TentPole

I'm kind of late to the Mario games on the 3DS. I'm on the fence between buying this game or Super Mario 3D Land. Any recommendations regarding which game I should get would be appreciated.

3D Land all the way. This game is great too but doesn't come close to 3D Lands uniqueness and innovation.

Top Bottom