• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

I'm using the dpad as well. I dislike this game with the analog slider very much. I'm not really feeling the game, but its definitely a big improvement over the first DS game. Normally I have to watch a video to see how to get to the secret levels, but I accidentally got to the first one in this game. I have an idea of what I did to get there, but it was pure luck that it happened.

Here are all of the stages which contain secret exits.
I'll spoiler it, but the game should really indicate which stages they are anyway:

World 1 Tower to World 1 Cannon
World 2 Ghost House to World 2-B
World 3 Tower to World 3 Cannon
World 3-4 to World 3-B
World 3 Ghost House to World 3 Castle
World 4 Ghost House to World 4-B
World 4 Tower to World 4-C
World 5-1 to World 5 Ghost House
World 5 Ghost House to World 5-A
World 5-A to Green Mushroom House
World 6 Ghost House to World 6-A
Mushroom World 1 to Mushroom World A
Mushroom Ghost House to Mushroom World B
Flower World 1 to Flower World A
Flower Ghost House to Flower World B

More like new high. Can't get enough of those BAHS!
Considering that there's no new stage themes this was the logical way to move things forward.

How I wish I had this two days ago, there is a downside to getting the game early.
People need to respect the list, know that there is no shame in looking at it for if there was any justice the game would actually indicate such things.
SO MANY GHOST HOUSES!

JoeInky

People need to respect the list, know that there is no shame in looking at it for if there was any justice the game would actually indicate such things.
SO MANY GHOST HOUSES!

Fucking ghost houses, the amount of times I went through 2-Ghost house trying to find that secret exit only to end up convincing myself that there wasn't one there.

Then I was told that it was... That block, that fucking hidden block.

I'll spoiler it, but the game should really indicate which stages they are anyway:

I'm fine with the way it is IMO. You obviously have to look for secret areas near the "secrets spots" on the map, and there is usually a secret coin along the secret passage leading to the alternate exit anyway. It's not like there is no hints or anything :)

Anyone else really bothered by the blurry backgrounds when playing with 3D turned on? I get that blurring the background is an attempt to help simulate distance, but the loss in detail is really kind of shocking. Anyone else considering playing exclusively in 2D because of this?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone else really bothered by the blurry backgrounds when playing with 3D turned on? I get that blurring the background is an attempt to help simulate distance, but the loss in detail is really kind of shocking. Anyone else considering playing exclusively in 2D because of this?

I play with the 3D only slightly on, since the blur increases with the 3D slider. It's interesting that some levels are much less blurry with the 3D on than others. I'm not a big fan of the NSMB look in the first place, but this game is not generally ugly like the original, even with the questionable backgrounds.

I'm kind of late to the Mario games on the 3DS. I'm on the fence between buying this game or Super Mario 3D Land. Any recommendations regarding which game I should get would be appreciated.

I've not played NSMB2, but 3D Land really was awesome.

Felt quite a lot different to other 3D Mario games - to me it controlled like a 2D Mario in a 3D space. Hard to explain, and something you'd have to play to understand. And it's the only 3DS game that I feel the '3D' effect really added to the experience.

EAD Tokyo really are masters at their craft.

are 3DS retail eshop games transferrable?

Games from the e-shop don't transfer (except for DSiware). To get e-shop content to transfer, you simply move the old SD card into the new 3DS.

I found 3D to be useless in this game. I like it more with 3D turned all the way off.

having fun in multiplayer with my wife. but this is another game where im looking at nintendo with a bit of malice. i know this is a part 2, but it feels like they reused so much of part 1. also:

-why is there no use for play coins?
-why isnt there an online leaderboard.(even if its by states or region....)
-why is the second world always a desert?
-no screen stretch when we go separate ways in multiplayer?

thanks for helping me get my mario fix.....but the next outting needs to be grander and more diverse by a large, large margin.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm kind of late to the Mario games on the 3DS. I'm on the fence between buying this game or Super Mario 3D Land. Any recommendations regarding which game I should get would be appreciated.

3D Land, far and away. It's a unique experience, and one of my favourite Mario titles ever. If you really need your pure 2D Mario fix, my impressions of the first few worlds in NSMB2 are good and the streetpass feature is better in NSMB2, challenging Coin Rush scores, if that matters to you. Otherwise, I would go with 3D Land right now and pick up NSMB2 later if you find it on sale.

having fun in multiplayer with my wife. but this is another game where im looking at nintendo with a bit of malice. i know this is a part 2, but it feels like they reused so much of part 1. also:

thanks for helping me get my mario fix.....but the next outting needs to be grander and more diverse by a large, large margin.

Along with no single cart play, the whole 'fight to be the leader' aspect killed any chance of my wife and I doing co-op for this game. NSMB Wii was amazing for multiplayer, and I'm sure the Wii U version will be as well. So with that in mind, I can get by without the co-op.

3D Land, far and away. It's a unique experience, and one of my favourite Mario titles ever. If you really need your pure 2D Mario fix, my impressions of the first few worlds in NSMB2 are good and the streetpass feature is better in NSMB2, challenging Coin Rush scores, if that matters to you. Otherwise, I would go with 3D Land right now and pick up NSMB2 later if you find it on sale.

i cosign this. since my expert mario opinion is the final word on these things.

JoeInky

Meh, I don't know. I can't personally think of a use for them but not every game needs them, 3D land and Mariokart don't.
I'm guessing due to the random nature of coin rush, the way they've designed it with the coin cap and randomised levels is more suited to the streetpass challenging than online leaderboards. It sucks compared to leaderboards, but it works well for what they designed it for
Doesn't really matter
I know there are two seperate screens and all, but can you imagine playing with someone who's blitzing through the level whilst you're taking it slowly? wouldn't be very fun for the person behind.

zroid

Banned
The implementation of 3D in this game is weird as hell. At first I hated it, and to be honest, I still am not sure I like it, but I'm finding it to be useful for making the foreground look less cluttered. The small amount of depth and the blur help me focus on the action.

Still wish they had just done it like we were expecting -- with layering, which has already proven itself to be awesome in other games.

I know there are two seperate screens and all, but can you imagine playing with someone who's blitzing through the level whilst you're taking it slowly? wouldn't be very fun for the person behind.
I was thinking about this earlier, and I agree with you actually. It may seem a bit counterintuitive, but the idea of two people playing in the same game WITHOUT being forced to stick together just isn't a very good one. The lagging player may as well not be playing, to be honest.

The only way co-op could be implemented well with separate views for each player would be if stages were specially designed to require or encourage teamwork. Lacking that, I believe Nintendo made the correct decision here.

Are you sure about this? This sounds way to simple for Nintendo.

edit: http://www.officialnintendomagazine...w-to-transfer-your-3ds-eshop-games-to-3ds-xl/

although it doesn't answer my question about retail games (I would assume they do though)

I assumed you were asking if during the transfer process your retail purchases move from one 3DS to the other. They do not. The licenses for the games transfer, but the games do not. It's up to you to move them from the old SD card or simply redownload them from the store.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Besides the music which is a bit of a mixed bag I find this game to be platforming perfection.

I'm even liking the whole gold motif.

bumpkin

Besides the music which is a bit of a mixed bag I find this game to be platforming perfection.

I'm even liking the whole gold motif.
Agreed. I can't pretend that I didn't smile when I heard the distinctive "P" whistle sound the first time I took off running with the raccoon tail. I had the same reaction to all of the little interactions with the world 1 boss. It just put a grin on my face. The game may be formulaic as hell as far as Mario games go, but when it's a winning formula, who gives a fuck?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
graphics are great in 3d, especially the sparks and stuff floating around in the castles. wow.

The castle was the first level where I went 'damn, that is pretty nice'. Really this game looks way better the original, and I'm looking forward to the delicious Wii U version so much right now.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Only on world 2, but I must admit that I think I greatly prefer SM3DL's "time trials" Streetpass exchange to the Coin Rush mode.

Exeunt

I played a little more today and found the Star Coins I was missing. Right now I have some 17,000 coins and I've made it to World 3, having cleaned up Worlds 1 and 2 as well as a secret world along the way. The secret world—while rather short unfortunately—was actually very nice in that it served to break up the standard NSMB themed world progression. Some of the Star Coins and the secret exits feel quite well hidden, though the world map makes it kind of ambiguous as to which levels actually have said exits.

The difficulty itself is still rather low however, and as a consequence of collecting so many coins I have way too many lives just from playing normally. I know it's been this way for a long time, but 1-ups and lives are especially redundant in this entry.

I'm having more fun collecting coins than I thought I would and overall this feels like a really solid title, and much better than the previous DS installment. It's a shame they haven't been more ambitious with the music (or ambitious at all really) or more creative with the world themes so far but the levels themselves are quite fun to play. I'm really enjoying this title even if it is a little conservative in its presentation.

JoeInky

Anyone else but me and mailenstein playing coin rush or can nobody get close to 30k yet?

Also, mailenstein, you can keep doing those jump combos till you're at 3 seconds and still make it to the flag, it's hard though.

mikelb7

Neo Member
Just picked this up, was super excited to play it but I can't get over how sluggish/floaty the controls feel. I know this is how the New Super Mario Bros games play but I think this is why I was never able to get into them (NSMB DS never interested me enough to play more than a few times and NSMBW was only for multiplayer).

I've liked the game so far (almost done World 1) but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to running and changing directions this slow while jumping this high. Quite impressed with level design though.

All in all, I think 3D Land is a more original, better playing and better thought out Mario experience. I'd highly recommend that game over NSMB2 if it's down to the two. Still nice getting to play a new first party Nintendo offering

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just picked this up, was super excited to play it but I can't get over how sluggish/floaty the controls feel. I know this is how the New Super Mario Bros games play but I think this is why I was never able to get into them (NSMB DS never interested me enough to play more than a few times and NSMBW was only for multiplayer).

I've liked the game so far (almost done World 1) but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to running and changing directions this slow while jumping this high. Quite impressed with level design though.

All in all, I think 3D Land is a more original, better playing and better thought out Mario experience. I'd highly recommend that game over NSMB2 if it's down to the two. Still nice getting to play a new first party Nintendo offering

NSMB controls definitely have come back to bite me sometimes, but I grow use to them as I play through the titles each time. One day I hope we return to slightly tighter controls.

And yes, SM3L is far more original. This is more of the same.. which isn't always bad.. but it's nothing too risky, or surprising.

RedSwirl

Does the white Raccoon Mario serve the same purpose as the gold power-up in 3D Land? If so, I'll probably actually need it in this game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
God I hate the controls/physics in this series.

100% agreed. Poor aerial control, low horizontal speed, hate the acceleration ramp, don't really like the acrobatics. I also think the camera is a little slow to adjust as you go up or down off-screen. Wall-jump is pretty much the only control element I like.

I was pretty negative on NSMB1/NSMBWii both, though, so I'm sure people who liked those would be fine with this.

Did Mario always track close enemies with his eyes when Swimming?
upon replaying the world 3 castle I noticed that he was occasionally keeping his gaze on Wendy during the flooded section.

And also anyone else here not really care for towers in any NSMB game yet look forward to castles? Somehow there is always a gulf of quality between the two similar themes, I guess the vertical only nature of the tower runs out of tricks as the series goes on.

Played some coin rush as Broken Raccoon Mario just because, what a bizarre option to have available, though I guess the casual lot aren't really up for a one life only three stage run. The P meter builds up fast in that suit, I thought it was going to be like a P wing or something.

Chrom

Does the white Raccoon Mario serve the same purpose as the gold power-up in 3D Land? If so, I'll probably actually need it in this game.

Yeah, it does serve the same purpose. The power-up itself is literally the same item as before and shows up the same way as it did in Super Mario 3D Land.

JoeInky

coin%20cap.png

:(

Fuck the coin police, I got 33,424
coin%20rush%205.png

braves01

Banned
Pleasantly surprised by this actually, though I'm a fan of the NSMB games/style in the first place. The 3D looks great on some levels but terrible on others due to the blur. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. Ditto for the 30k cap. Hopefully it gets patched.

Finished the main content, still have to do the other two worlds and a bunch of extra levels. Overall, it's solid but not spectacular. I'd put it above NSMB but below NSMBWii.

JoeInky

The limit doesn't make any sense, I don't know what were they thinking.

Having a limit makes sense if they meant to stop people easily grinding to 1million, but putting it at 30k makes no sense, you'd think they'd do 10 or 20k but not fucking 30k which is high enough so that you're at that point where you're really starting to get addicted to it but low enough to make it incredibly disappointing that you can't improve.

Even a 45/50k limit would be fine because I'm pretty sure it's going to be impossible to break that.

Hylian7

I bought this last night. I noticed something that bothered me.

With a Mushroom, run toward a small-mario-sized gap, duck, and slide under it. Let go of down on the D-pad. YOU DON'T SLIDE OUT. WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO?!

You can just hold a direction and keep hitting jump to get out, but still, what the fuck?!

JoeInky

Congratulations tho! Whats the level pack you played?

Mushroom, remember that really good level setup I was telling you about before you told me I could save them? It was on that.

2-4 > mushroom - 3 > 2 - castle. atleast I think it's mushroom 3, the one with all the yellow blocks and buzzy beetles.

Mushroom, remember that really good level setup I was telling you about before you told me I could save them? It was on that.

2-4 > mushroom - 3 > 2 - castle. atleast I think it's mushroom 3, the one with all the yellow blocks and buzzy beetles.
Damn, that's a reeeeeally good setup.
How much coins do you get in 2-4? I rarely hit 3000. I'm almost running out of time when I'm at 2800ish :(.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Picked the game up a couple hours ago. I'll probably give it a shot later tonight. Even if it's more of the same shit I've been playing for fucking ever... if it's still good shit, I'll be happy. I'm really in the mood to play a low-commitment game like this, though, so yeah.

Dr.Hadji

Loving the game so far. Idk, gameplay wise I really can't come up with any reasons why this game would come off as uncreative while games like Rayman or Epic Yarn are. Again gameplay wise, I don't see how a remix of past Mario elements is less inspired than games like Rayman that are heavily inspired by past Mario games. So far I haven't seen anything completely new (again gameplay wise) but I could say the same about every major 2d platformer now. There are few elements in a Epic Yarn or a Rayman Origins that I couldn't trace back to some Mario game. So why a NSMB would be blasted over these other games I can't quite figure.

JoeInky

Damn, that's a reeeeeally good setup.
How much coins do you get in 2-4? I rarely hit 3000. I'm almost running out of time when I'm at 2800ish :(.

Remember you told me not to go for any stars or anything? Forget that noise.

Get your gold flower, hit the block immediately to the right with a gold ball, slide down and release the star with a gold ball, now on your way to the gold pipe you can kill 2 fire snakes, a goomba, a koopa troopa, 2 spinies and 2 pokies. you'll end up with around 350 coins before you even start the jump coins, and don't leave that room till the timer's at 5 atleast. 3 is doable but you don't really get anything for staying in their for 2 more seconds.

I had over 3100 by the time I got to that flag pole.

Also trying to get that specific set of levels took me longer than it did to get the 30k lol...

Top Bottom