• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Murrah

Banned
I mean, that's just madness. There aren't any ghosts in the desert, and if they're going to do that, why not make like, a pharoah's tomb style level with a mummified pokies and a pharaoh boo called bootankhamun and now I'm rambling about shit that won't happen.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mummipokey

Though I do agree. Paper Mario had a great pharaoh's tomb level. Wish the platformer Marios would start taking level aesthetic ideas from there

The confusion comes from bland stills shown of early levels. If you actually play the game and say it looks identical then I say you need glasses.
I'm wearing glasses. Looks the same. Hell I just came off of playing the original NSMB yesterday.

Course maybe all the worlds beyond world 1 won't look so samey.

Unai

Dear brazilians fellows, I don't know if someone has already said it, but we can buy the game from the canadian eShop. There's no need even to put a real zip code.

branny

The one element of Mario games I'd wish they'd get rid of cause they're always terrible but I know they never will are the water levels.

Actually scratch that. This wish applies to every 2D platformer ever made save for MAYBE Mega Man.
Honestly, the biggest issue with water levels in the NSMB series is that Mario controls so sluggishly that they simply aren't fun.

Games like Sonic Colors (Wii), DKC2, Mega Man X, and even SMW did water a lot better than anything in NSMB/NSMB Wii. Some people really liked the water bits in Rayman Origins, as well, but I'm still iffy on those.

edit: I just remembered that you can actually swim in Mega Man 8, too, haha.

i just reached world three. i played a bit of coin rush as it took me a fair few goes to make it through all three levels without dying. it's a lot of fun so far. yeah, it's mario and nothing else, but personally i've not played much mario. it's something i only really pick up when i'm in the mood for it.

i suck at the 2D ones, but when i feel like a mario game i have a lot of fun with it.

just about at 10,000 coins.

Just downloaded this and played through the first castle. I can't say I'm "hooked" but I like it. Also that first "boss fight" is the lamest boss fight of all times!!!!!!

stuminus3

Oh man, looks like I'm hooked on coin rush mode. I wish this mode was in the other Mario games.

I just realised that both the handheld NSMB games use Super Mario World item management (switching out between two items) but NSMB Wii uses Super Mario Bros 3 item management (no switching but an inventory). I wonder why they did that?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've completed all of world 1 so far and got all the big coins too. I wasn't really that excited for it but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its familar sure, but I like the New Super Mario games so it doesn't bother me much. The secret paths and placement of big coins seem better in this one than the other two.

I hate the music though. It would've been nice to have new tracks. Also, the 3D was pretty much awful save for the castle level. I always play my 3DS in 3D but this and Tales of the Abyss are the only games where I turn it off completely.

Teknoman

Its pretty fun, but I have no idea WHY Nintendo decided to make the backgrounds blur with 3D mode at max. Really annoying, especially since it actually blurs out the details. Has anyone from Nintendo commented on this, because for one of Nintendo's flagship titles to have bad 3D is kinda a big deal.

Pineconn

Its pretty fun, but I have no idea WHY Nintendo decided to make the backgrounds blur with 3D mode at max. Really annoying, especially since it actually blurs out the details.

It's supposed to be depth of field, which is implemented in most 3D games nowadays. I can see how people find it weird on a 2D sidescroller, though.

rpmurphy

Got a StreetPass today and smoked the person's record in their Coin Rush challenge. Levels 1-1, 1-2, 1-Castle: my 3812 vs. his 2426. :)

Teknoman

It's supposed to be depth of field, which is implemented in most 3D games nowadays. I can see how people find it weird on a 2D sidescroller, though.

Well its one of the worse implementations of it i've seen. I'm sure if it was applied to some of the objects, it would have been ok, but to everything equally? Maybe i'm not the best person to be commenting on it either way, since I always turn off depth of field in any PC game whenever I can.

hatchx

Banned
I just beat world 2.

Maybe I'm just terrible, but I actually died a significant amount of times in the Desert.

I'm liking the game a lot more than I thought I would. The coin thing I actually quite adore. I know it's superfluous but it's like a slightly new art direction the series (the way the coins play into the level).

I can't help but recommend this game. Tight controls and level design do it.

Teknoman

Yeah i'm having fun with the whole coin thing, especially now that it sorta feels like they have more of a purpose than before (dont need 1ups as much as I used to). Really like the controls and how they feel pretty much like Wii (fighting the urge to shake my 3DS). Feels fun to blast through certain sections or bounce around grabbing coins in others. Also takes effort to suppress tapping jump by reflex when flying/floating.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah i'm having fun with the whole coin thing, especially now that it sorta feels like they have more of a purpose than before (dont need 1ups as much as I used to). Really like the controls and how they feel pretty much like Wii (fighting the urge to shake my 3DS). Feels fun to blast through certain sections or bounce around grabbing coins in others. Also takes effort to suppress tapping jump by reflex when flying/floating.

I find myself doing it every time. Gah.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just beat world 2.

Maybe I'm just terrible, but I actually died a significant amount of times in the Desert.

the Chain Chomp level is brutal if you go for medals and secrets. I actually had to go back to world 1, get some powerups and retry it. Damn bastards!

and YET I can't seem to reach one of the secret yellow pipes. Wtfishisshit

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
the Chain Chomp level is brutal if you go for medals and secrets. I actually had to go back to world 1, get some powerups and retry it. Damn bastards!

Haha. Indeed. I gave up on it after doing a lot of suiciding into the sand, hoping to magically be teleported somewhere. I'll revisit it later..

Teknoman

Now thats what i'm talking about :D

Alex

I die a lot hunting around for the star coins. That's always my favorite part of these games.

Game plays really well, amazing controls as usual, great level design, but it just needs to be less recycled. It's not so much about not reinventing the wheel, I love good reiterative games, but they need to just get some new level art, tilesets, enemies and a few new mechanics, etc.

I understand that this is likely their safe, stopgap series, something that'll purely make big bucks, be liked by fans, and can fill holes in a schedule on a very short cycle, but I want a less remix-ish type 2D Mario game, sometime.

Teknoman

I die a lot hunting around for the star coins. That's always my favorite part of these games.

Game plays really well, amazing controls as usual, great level design, but it just needs to be less recycled. It's not so much about not reinventing the wheel, I love good reiterative games, but they need to just get some new level art, tilesets, enemies and a few new mechanics, etc.

I understand that this is likely their safe, stopgap series, something that'll purely make big bucks, be liked by fans, and can fill holes in a schedule on a very short cycle, but I want a less remix-ish type 2D Mario game, sometime.

I think Mario U will be that or at least should be since a Mario on a brand new console is a pretty big thing. I will say, I liked seeing Reznor again (finally, dino enemies!) even though the first fight was easy, and seeing more dry enemies (Dry plants and goombas need to be staples now lol) is always nice.

On the depth of field effect, it does look nice in castle and underground environments...but i'm torn whether I want to turn it off, or leave it on in case some really nice 3D effects happen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think Mario U will be that or at least should be since a Mario on a brand new console is a pretty big thing. I will say, I liked seeing Reznor again (finally, dino enemies!) even though the first fight was easy, and seeing more dry enemies (Dry plants and goombas need to be staples now lol) is always nice.

On the depth of field effect, it does look nice in castle and underground environments...but i'm torn whether I want to turn it off, or leave it on in case some really nice 3D effects happen.

I just keep the 3D very, very low (almost off). It doesn't blur most backgrounds nearly as much, and I still get a nice subtle effect that does add something.

Currygan

Haha. Indeed. I gave up on it after doing a lot of suiciding into the sand, hoping to magically be teleported somewhere. I'll revisit it later..

hah, that's what i did. Once I got the three medals, or star coins or whatever, I moved on. I will have to watch a youtube video for that

Dry goombas are awesome! I also want more Giant Dry Bones. Those guys are damn creepy

NSMBU will bring the innovations, for sure, while getting the usual stellar level design. Heck just looking at this screen makes me want to play it. SO crowded :p

new-super-mario-bros-u-4.jpg

I'm missing star coins in some of the early levels, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong!

I guess some of them are just very well hidden. Are there cases where you need a powerup from another stage to get a Star Coin?

Currygan

I'm missing star coins in some of the early levels, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong!

I guess some of them are just very well hidden. Are there cases where you need a powerup from another stage to get a Star Coin?

from what I recall, nope. But you have to be extra-good to get some of them without pwups

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You'll always have the powers you need in the level. At least that's the formula that has always been used, and is true for the first two worlds in this game as well. They are well hidden in this title; Definitely more difficult to find than the early worlds of NSMB Wii.

Best advice I can give is if you're missing one, like the middle coin, you know it's between the first and last. Or if you're missing the first, then you need to search before the middle one.

how are people beating this game in like four hours? just checked my activity log, I'm at just under 3 hours so far, and I'm still in the middle of world 2 (although I did a couple levels of the mushroom world, too)
Then again I'm finding all the star coins and stuff, too.

jokkir

How does this compare to NSMB DS? I hated that game. No idea why but I did (and I usually love Mario games)

Also, how do you find the game overall? Might pick this up tomorrow or a 3DSXL

EDIT - Oh, and while I'm at it, how does the game compare to Super Mario World cause I loved that game :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How does this compare to NSMB DS? I hated that game. No idea why but I did (and I usually love Mario games)

I really disliked NSMB as well, but loved NSMB Wii and I find this title to be closer to the Wii title than the original. If you enjoyed NSMB Wii, or older 2D Marios, this will probably be okay for you. Just come in expecting the slightly annoying and floaty NSMB series controls.

how are people beating this game in like four hours? just checked my activity log, I'm at just under 3 hours so far, and I'm still in the middle of world 2 (although I did a couple levels of the mushroom world, too)

A good percentage of people in the industry, including reviewers and a number of podcasters, blaze through games like this while ignoring the collectibles. And most then complain the game is too short and easy.

Teknoman

They are blazing through the game without trying to find all the star coins/get all the coins they can/find hidden stages I guess.

I find it to be as good as NSMB DS. I hated NSMB DS. Not sure why I bought this, but I'm glad I bought retail. It was 29.99, so I should be able to at least get all my money back on it selling it used. It's just not for me, I guess. SML 3D, however, it beautiful on the XL.

You're going to find many mixed reviews on this one. If you hated the first game, don't expect to have this one win you over. It's more of the bland same sadly.

rpmurphy

1:42 here and I'm only past 1-tower/1-cannon. lol
Coin Rush took a good chunk of my time so far.

Alex

I think it's very similar to the Wii one, certainly scores beyond the DS original, that thing was a mess.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I like the fact that I can download this from home.

I don't like the fact that Nintendo's network is incredibly shitty and I've had to restart downloading ten times already.

They are blazing through the game without trying to find all the star coins/get all the coins they can/find hidden stages I guess.
Makes no sense to me. Finding hidden star coins and hidden exits are the best parts about the nsmb series. Well that and the great platforming.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I like the fact that I can download this from home.

I don't like the fact that Nintendo's network is incredibly shitty and I've had to restart downloading ten times already.

Interesting. I've never had issues with the network, even downloading something like like Mighty Switch Force. You might just select 'download later' option, and close the 3DS and let it download via Spotpass.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Interesting. I've never had issues with the network, even downloading something like like Mighty Switch Force. You might just select 'download later' option, and close the 3DS and let it download via Spotpass.

It happens a lot to me with Theatrhythm DLC too, and that surely is less of a stress on the networks I've tried --at least five different ones from five distant places.

Where are you located? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I've never had a problem (nsmb2 downloaded in 12ish minutes as a download later deal for example)

eggwolio

I find myself doing it every time. Gah.

It bugs me that you can just hold it to fly but still need to tap it to swim. Or in my case, you make assumptions that they just made everything easier and you watch Mario make the swimming motions one time and then fall immediately to his death.

I also don't understand why on co-op we have to remain on the same screen as each other. We each have our own screen. I could understand if it was download play, maybe, but we each have our own cart, with the full level available at any moment. Why can't we be just a little further apart? Or at least zoom out a little like in NSMBWii. I bought two copies so me and my lady could play co-op and this issue nearly kills it.

Top Bottom