• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Teknoman

It bugs me that you can just hold it to fly but still need to tap it to swim. Or in my case, you make assumptions that they just made everything easier and you watch Mario make the swimming motions one time and then fall immediately to his death.

I also don't understand why on co-op we have to remain on the same screen as each other. We each have our own screen. I could understand if it was download play, maybe, but we each have our own cart, with the full level available at any moment. Why can't we be just a little further apart? Or at least zoom out a little like in NSMBWii. I bought two copies so me and my lady could play co-op and this issue nearly kills it.

Probably since it works similar to Wii where they want you to be near one another at all times? Honestly, i'm not sure.

Oh btw, what kind of DLC can we expect from this?

eggwolio

Probably since it works similar to Wii where they want you to be near one another at all times? Honestly, i'm not sure.

Oh btw, what kind of DLC can we expect from this?

It's been awhile since I've played the Wii one, but if I remember correctly, the screen zooms out some as you get further apart, giving you at least a little room to breathe. This one does no such thing. Once you're off the screen, you either get back on screen or you'll float back in a bubble. I understand the zoom effect may have been harder on the handheld, but they could have at least given us some wiggle room. We each have our own screen, so we don't necessarily need to see each other all the time. Oh well. We'll get over it, I'm sure.

I believe they've said that more coin rush stages are coming as DLC. I'm not sure what more beyond that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
how are people beating this game in like four hours? just checked my activity log, I'm at just under 3 hours so far, and I'm still in the middle of world 2 (although I did a couple levels of the mushroom world, too)
Then again I'm finding all the star coins and stuff, too.

I'm playing it pretty much the same way. I'm about the same, a few hours in and early in world 2.

I don't move onto the next level unless I've picked up all 3 coins first.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Played up until the first Reznors (OMG), this game solidifies my hypothesis that the 3DS is crappily designed and that there's no fucking reason why the D-Pad shouldn't be placed where the Circle Pad is located.

Pretty fun nonetheless.

Roto13

Played up until the first Reznors (OMG), this game solidifies my hypothesis that the 3DS is crappily designed and that there's no fucking reason why the D-Pad shouldn't be placed where the Circle Pad is located.

Because then the Circle Pad would be where the d-pad is located.

Suck it up. If I can use it, so can you.

brinstar

Makes no sense to me. Finding hidden star coins and hidden exits are the best parts about the nsmb series. Well that and the great platforming.

I personally like to blaze through the main game and then go back and 100% it. I like doing it that way because I re-discover levels and things I forgot about

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, I'm liking the game, but I have to take breaks from it due to how fuckin' cramped my hands get playing on this piece of shit system. This must all be part of Nintendo's ploy to get me to buy an XL... which I would totally have done if they gave us a reasonable color.

ANYWAY.

On world 3. Game is not as "New" as the title would suggest, obviously, but I do feel like the levels are really well designed. Don't regret buying the game at all, so I'm happy about that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Because then the Circle Pad would be where the d-pad is located.

Suck it up. If I can use it, so can you.
Asymmetrical screens.

Mismatching colours if you decide to buy anything but the black one.

Far too large for the small-sized buttons.

3D is stupid, you turn it off after the novelty wears off and then you realise the fucking device is overpriced because of the goddamn gimmick.

Nintendo sold out and I keep buying their systems because I hate myself.

hatchx

Banned
Asymmetrical screens.

Mismatching colours if you decide to buy anything but the black one.

Far too large for the small-sized buttons.

3D is stupid, you turn it off after the novelty wears off and then you realise the fucking device is overpriced because of the goddamn gimmick.

Nintendo sold out and I keep buying their systems because I hate myself.

Joke post?

Not sure how to take this.

EDIT- buy a grip for your 3DS or a 3DSxl dude.

hatchx

Banned
It's an ugly device, bro.

I agree 100%. I'm sure it works fine for Japanese hands or kids hands, but for me it hurt badly. Especially in a competitive game like Mario Kart where you hold a button to drive. I can tolerate NSMB2.

I bought the 10 dollar grip, and I wouldn't turn back. My hands hurt, and it does the trick.

To be honest, for intense gameplay, a better control device is needed than what we somehow managed for the first two decades of handheld gaming. Try playing the original gameboy or the GBAsp, they aren't very comfortable (I might get slain for making such remarks).

I've heard the 3DSxl is very comfortable, so it's not like you can hate on Nintendo when they have a solution.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've heard the 3DSxl is very comfortable, so it's not like you can hate on Nintendo when they have a solution.
HEY GUYS YOU CAN PAY US MORE MONEY TO PLAY OUR MACHINES THE WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT IN THE FIRST PLACE THAT'S NOT RIPPING YOU OFF AT ALL THAT'S CARING FOR OUR CUSTOMERS

Fucking capitalism.

hatchx

Banned
HEY GUYS YOU CAN PAY US MORE MONEY TO PLAY OUR MACHINES THE WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT IN THE FIRST PLACE THAT'S NOT RIPPING YOU OFF AT ALL THAT'S CARING FOR OUR CUSTOMERS

Fucking capitalism.

The Xbox Duke
The Playstation Dual Shock
The Wavebird that wasn't at launch
The Xbox 360 RROD
PS3 Sixasis without rumble
Wii Motion Plus

.....shit happens dude.

Teknoman

Hell yeah, they kept the koopa kid boss battle theme from the Wii.

EDIT: Whoa at the cannon, was not expecting that! :D

Also 3D *NSMB2 excluded since I would have just preferred multiple scrolling backgrounds* in 3DS games is usually pretty cool.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Game is not as "New" as the title would suggest, obviously,

Title does not suggest the game is "new." The "New" Super Mario Bros. series started with NSMB, which was indeed new. NSMB 2 is not "New" New Super Mario Bros., it is MORE New Super Mario Bros., the continuation of the "New" series. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2

yep

I've died so many times in W2-3, even in the most stupid ways possible, had that stupid white raccoon block appear on me and it pissed me off!!!! :(

I bought this game from Newegg so I'm not getting it until Tuesday, probably.

But I did log onto the eshop today and I wonder what new game Nintendo wants me to buy. You know, seeing as how every section is Mario or NSMB2 related.

Yuterald

Man, Coin Rush Mode is really fucking cool. It's a shame that it's exclusively a street pass mode. I don't think any of my buddies in real life give a shit about portable games anymore, let alone this new Mario game. I guess I'll see if I get some cool street passes here in PA, but I doubt there's going to be too much competition around my area. I can't believe they didn't do world wide leaderboards for this shit. It's really fucking fun! I scored around 9000 on the Mushroom Pack set. By the way, how are the multipliers determined when you jump on the flag pole? I kept getting x2 at the end of the stage.

hatchx

Banned
Man, Coin Rush Mode is really fucking cool. It's a shame that it's exclusively a street pass mode. I don't think any of my buddies in real life give a shit about portable games anymore, let alone this new Mario game. I guess I'll see if I get some cool street passes here in PA, but I doubt there's going to be too much competition around my area. I can't believe they didn't do world wide leaderboards for this shit. It's really fucking fun! I scored around 9000 on the Mushroom Pack set. By the way, how are the multipliers determined when you jump on the flag pole? I kept getting x2 at the end of the stage.

Well Mario Kart 7 had street pass and I always got ghosts from strangers. Won't the same sort of thing happen with NSMB2?

Anth0ny

I'm at world 4, it's been pretty fun so far. As fun as NSMB Wii and NSMB DS. A good time killer, but really nothing more. Doesn't feel like a waste of time, but I still expect more out of a 2D Mario game.

Hopefully NSMB U can scratch my itch.

Yuterald

Well Mario Kart 7 had street pass and I always got ghosts from strangers. Won't the same sort of thing happen with NSMB2?

Yeah, it's got that street pass jon piece, but honestly, I've met like 3 people who owned Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Land 3D, and I've owned the games since launch. The problem could be because I live in the suburbs and I don't travel too far with my system, but still. It would have been way cooler to challenge people from all over the world.

rpmurphy

If you grab the top of the flagpole, it doubles the amount of coins you have accumulated, after remaining time bonuses are accounted for. No multiplier bonus if you grab the flagpole anywhere below. That's about it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Enjoying this a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. The 3D DoF is a nice touch, and the game plays great with the XL's dpad. Much better than the glossy pos original 3DS pad.

Exeunt

I'm not a huge fan of the cannon levels to be honest. Since they're optional I tend to just cheese through them with Racoon Mario whenever I have him coming out of a level. Racoon Mario is fun at least.

I know people have been talking about it, but I haven't touched Coin Rush mode yet; I think it will be something that I chip away at after I finish the main game.

Right now I am at World 5 with 30,000 coins having found all the Star Coins and secret exits up to this point. Some of the secrets have been quite cleverly hidden and I've definitely searched levels up and down in my quest. It does feel very satisfying when I find what I'm looking for, which makes up for some of the levels being rather easy to get through. Difficulty has picked up over the last two or three worlds while the levels are fun and snappy.

One thing I don't like so much is (World 4-ish "spoilers" for some secrets)
having to bring the Mini Mushroom into some other levels such as fortresses to find a Star Coin or exit. It isn't difficult to make it through the level but it does feel a little unnecessary to bring it over without a proper inventory system. I would've preferred if the Mini Mushroom just stayed in certain levels like its Mega counterpart. Of course, maybe I've just missed some hidden Mini Mushroom blocks in the relevant levels.
The only other thing I have to say is that Snake Blocks seem to appear a lot without really blending into the levels—I've never played a ROM hack but it gives me a "ROM hackish" vibe if that makes sense, but I don't have a problem with how they're implemented.

Still really enjoying myself and so far the game is making me look forward to what New Super Mario Bros. U will accomplish.

eggwolio

I really hope so...also that video makes me want to hear the stuff in NSMB U even more lol...kinda wish Kondo would help out a little for the NSMB games. They have some standout tracks, but I want a 100% all around great soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure Kondo did the music for the original NSMB on DS. When I went to Video Games Live in 2007, he played some of it on the piano.

Yes Boss!

On world 3. Game is not as "New" as the title would suggest, obviously, but I do feel like the levels are really well designed. Don't regret buying the game at all, so I'm happy about that.

Good to hear you are digging it.

Solid game and a great release date in an otherwise boring few months of releases.

I logged about 10 hours in the first day alone, so something is right.

I'm actually digging the unmarked double exits on the map...just subtle geographical hints to suss them out.

And enjoying the liberal use of SMW stuff.

(and it was asked in this thread previously, but is there a way to access a Star Coin log like in NSMBW?)

Teknoman

I'm pretty sure Kondo did the music for the original NSMB on DS. When I went to Video Games Live in 2007, he played some of it on the piano.

Yeah but wasnt the majority by Asuka Ota? I think Koji did the main theme/athletic as far as original themes go?

So I beat the final boss. I've heard people say it was a dissapointment so I went in prepared to be dissapointed, but I had seen a youtube thumbnail on the boss and kinda knew what to expect.

Final bosses are always awesome in Nintendo's games, so I was hopeing this wouldn't dissapoint and I am sad too say that
everyone that said it was a dissapointment is delusional.

IT WAS AWESOME! Nowhere near as awesome as the Wii Final Boss but I was afraid it would be like very easy like every boss before it in the game. Sure it was easy, but it was long and kept going instead of taking ten seconds to beat like every other boss. They get bonus points for using dat awesome final boss song from NSMBW. Love that song. (Tho it sounded very low quality.)

Overall, I am happy with NSMB2. I was afraid it wasn't going to be very good, especially since I just 100%ed and replayed through both previous NSMB but it was very better than I was expecting. Maybe thats because I decided to 100% it, getting all star coins and secret exits, on my first playthrough instead of doing it later. I shall do this with all 2D and 3D Mario games from now on out!

My favorite levels are (off the top of my head)
the four cannon levels. (They should've been longer...) the mini speedthru level, the boohemoth levels, of course the final level with that boss and the awesome chasing of the koopa kids, the underwater castle, and world 1-3 for the reintroduction of the racoon tail.

So much good.

I still got world 9 and coin rush. Yayz! i plan to replay this game soonish to see all the levels with 3D off. (lol, never thought I'de say that.)

I really liked the new music, and the backgrounds are alot better than I thought they would be.
NSMBW should've been called NSMB2 and this NSMB3 IMO. I guess Nintendo thinks of the main series on the portables. Hhmm...interesting.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just played through the first half of world 1. At first, I wasn't in love. In fact, quite disappointed with all of the reused assets - music, visuals, everything. World music shouldn't be the same as the last game!

But then I got to the mini-castle, and holy crap. At first, I couldn't find the second coin. Determined not to move on without it, I played the level over and over and over again. And you know what? I kept finding new secrets! All over the place, in fact! I couldn't believe how much I had missed the first time, and I STILL hadn't found the 2nd coin.

I finally got it (clever!) and realized that while this game may not be original in looks or sounds (yet), it has some incredible level design already, and spending 25 minutes in one level was somehow incredibly fun, instead of repetitive and boring.

I really want to savor this game, so I think I'm gonna call it quits for now. I'm glad it's so fun, though. Reused assets might take it down a peg, but it's a new Mario, dammit - and that's all that matters.

BRING ON THE COINS!!

Teknoman

Just played through the first half of world 1. At first, I wasn't in love. In fact, quite disappointed with all of the reused assets - music, visuals, everything. World music shouldn't be the same as the last game!

But then I got to the mini-castle, and holy crap. At first, I couldn't find the second coin. Determined not to move on without it, I played the level over and over and over again. And you know what? I kept finding new secrets! All over the place, in fact! I couldn't believe how much I had missed the first time, and I STILL hadn't found the 2nd coin.

I finally got it (clever!) and realized that while this game may not be original in looks or sounds (yet), it has some incredible level design already, and spending 25 minutes in one level was somehow incredibly fun, instead of repetitive and boring.

I really want to savor this game, so I think I'm gonna call it quits for now. I'm glad it's so fun, though. Reused assets might take it down a peg, but it's a new Mario, dammit - and that's all that matters.

BRING ON THE COINS!!

Wait till you experience the cannons for the first time.

Exeunt

...What in the hell is this? If this is official, I'm about to drop a log.

Watching the first bit of that video, I can say that would be e-Reader content for Super Mario Advance 3. The different cards ranged from items like the cape or switches that made plants appear to full levels that could be saved to the cartridge if you found all the Advance Coins. I actually have a collection of the cards from my Game Boy Advance days but I don't know if they were all released outside Japan—or if they all came out there. Some of the levels were pretty nice as I recall, so I wouldn't mind seeing them again as a digital release someday.

RagnarokX

...What in the hell is this? If this is official, I'm about to drop a log.

It's World-e in Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3). The game was compatible with the eReader, and you could buy cards that were basically DLC that unlocked new levels, powers, enemies, etc. Unfortunately the eReader sucked and was poorly supported outside of Japan and almost none of the cards came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2qkgUZE4TQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZttAXNtuRSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0l4npLsy-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBuS_-JArg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Lmmlpthfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmv5bkZeKY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBn4oAeZ3GI

Here's a playlist with all of the Japanese exclusive levels:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7B7E85F81F3AAEE9&feature=plcp

It's been awhile since I've played the Wii one, but if I remember correctly, the screen zooms out some as you get further apart, giving you at least a little room to breathe. This one does no such thing. Once you're off the screen, you either get back on screen or you'll float back in a bubble. I understand the zoom effect may have been harder on the handheld, but they could have at least given us some wiggle room. We each have our own screen, so we don't necessarily need to see each other all the time. Oh well. We'll get over it, I'm sure.

I've thought about this a bit, and I suspect it has to do with how the level's timing is intentionally structured by the designers. The screen view may be the focus for enemies to be spawned, moving platform timing to activate, and so forth. With two separate screen views to keep track of, the game's flow couldn't be as easily controlled, and it would make for a subtly rougher gameplay experience, depending on where the two players were.

Just throwing darts, of course, but that's kind of how the original SMB games worked, and to me that sounds like a Nintendo Reason why.

Top Bottom