• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Vibed

This game's co-op is terrible, and isn't even because of the cramped screen space with no way to zoom out. I swear every other or so level the game slows down anywhere from 3-10 fps, occasionally even outright freezing. It's frozen on us like 3 times now, super annoying.

I have a digital copy, he has retail. My class 10 SD card shouldn't be the problem, should it? I heard the lag has gotten that bad for people with two retail copies too.

Well I beat all the worlds, levels and collected all the big coins. 6hrs in total.

I really can't be assed going for the 1,000,000 coins so I guess my time is done.

I won't say it's a terrible game, but it's not got the magic of the 3D Mario's and feels very safe compared to Mario3/Mario World.
...but It's actually dented my hype for the WiiU alot, seeing as NSMBU is the tent pole game for the launch.

rjc571

Banned
Finally got my copy today from Newegg... and the fucking case was bent! Gonna have to wait a couple more weeks for them to send me a replacement now.

massoluk

Banned
Having read this thread, so it's merely a good game then.

From the trend.

SMB1 -> SMB2 -> SMB3 ->SMW
SM64 -> SMS -> SMG -> SMG2
NSMB -> NSMB2 -> ??

NSMB3 will be phenomenal.

hatchx

Banned
Oh my. I've just heard that the Million coin reward is
A new start screen? They put ALL of their marbles in on the fact that this game is about coin collecting. That is fucking terrible. Its the absolute worst. I mean sure if it was just side thing it'd be neat, but come the fuck on its the only thing in this bland soulless uncreative that they hung thier hat on. They couldn't put levels extra levels behind a coin counter? Or use a SMB3 inventory system where the items can be bought? Or unlockable characters? or fucking anything but a new freaking start screen?

Add that to the stupid design choice of how the camera works in coop and you have to ask how can so many people let nintendo take a pass on making absolutely horrible and lazy decisions on crucial design elements? This is a game where we should be rising up and saying "damn it nintendo you can do better than this".

You guys say the level design saves it, but I really really don't see it through the first 3 worlds. I think there needs to either be challenge or creativity to make going through levels fun, but obviously the game isn't about challenge and you guys admit this game is without creativity. So why do people say they like the game? I honestly don't understand it.

I got this game expecting they'd do something cool with the coin thing, and assuming there would be at least some neat environments, scenarios, and secret placements, but that was obviously a mistake. I wish there was some way to get a refund.

I think the 78 on metacritic is enough. Critics spoke out. I think it's clear this game had a short development time and the co-op was just hacked on at the last second.

The level design, however, does shine. It's a step up from NSMBds if you ask me.

Imagine a secret bonus level where the gameplay suddenly adapts to that. Would have been a fun way to test the waters.

I just wish they would make a sequel to Super Mario Bros 2......because it was awesome. Toad was the shit because he could pull shit from the ground fast.

branny

My copy came today, and I just got through the first world. I am shocked.

-Mario actually feels better! He seems closest to how he was in the original NSMB but a little more responsive due to slightly less overbearing inertia and a tad less sluggishness. This also makes him, without question, more fun to control than he was in NSMB Wii (where he felt way worse than he did in NSMB to me). Mario's NSMB2 water movement also appears more responsive than both games since he seems like he can reverse directions a smidge quicker, but that was only one stage so far and could've just been placebo.

No amount of interesting level design in NSMB Wii could've meant more to me than Mario actually being a pleasure to control. This upgrade to Mario's movement has automatically pushed NSMB2 ahead of the other NSMBs in my eyes, even without playing the whole game yet. With these tiny tweaks some people won't even notice, I now am considering a Wii U for NSMBU if Mario is no longer borked. I still don't prefer this over how he feels in SMB3/SMW, but it's finally NSMB movement I can live with. The raccoon suit also helps mitigate some inertia annoyances. I thought it was an excellent addition to SM3DL, as well.

-The game has a subtle beauty that makes it more appealing to look at than NSMB and NSMB Wii, but I don't like the blurring of background elements with 3D maxed. Some of the music is fucking annoying.

-I really enjoyed the levels I played in the first world (and those I've already done in the second world, too--2-3...omg) and hope the rest of the game is just as good, even though some people have been saying otherwise. I like the playful and experimental vibe I got from them, even beyond the coin gimmicks.

To generalize, I remember levels in NSMB being vastly smaller in scope than NSMB Wii's (making them feel comparatively linear), while NSMB Wii's levels seemed larger and more complex yet sometimes felt too spacious. I don't know how I'd categorize NSMB2's levels so far, but they seem to be a really good compromise between both NSMBs. I was worried I'd have to blame the 3DS's tiny resolution for nerfing levels like what I thought happened with NSMB on the DS, but it seems it's instead helping reign back NSMB Wii's lack of density (no doubt due to its focus on multiplayer).

Velcro Fly

Just finished world 2 and man some of these star coins are really really sneaky. I'm enjoying finding new parts to levels on my 3rd or 4th run through the level. I find that the music doesn't really bother me because I'm focusing more on playing. And I actually died at the second castle boss! I know people were saying the game was really easy but I've died a few times.

I did try out coin rush and it seems cool. I had a pack of 1-4, 1-5, and 1-Castle. I ended up with around 2700 coins from that. I'm up to about 12,000 coins total now. I'm not worried about the million coin reward. I'm having a ton of fun just playing the game naturally and finding all the sneaky star coins and secret exits. Definitely better than NSMB DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is kind of off-topic but did you ever do a similar write-up for the Rabbids platformer? I've been tempted to pick it up a couple of times since it got cheaper.

This is the most comprehensive thing I, or anyone else on NeoGAF, has posted about the game. Basically it's not particularly inspired, there are a lot of polish issues, and there's pretty little variety, and it's made for younger kids, but I played through it 100% and didn't find it terrible. I think I got it as a gift, so to put it in context if you're the kind of person who spends $20+ on a game and only plays a few games a year, I'm definitely not recommending it, but if you're the kind of person like me that chews through 2 or 3 games a week and has plenty of room for milquetoast stuff, it's enjoyable enough.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I thought this game was PEGI 3?

unCYl.jpg

DjRoomba

Banned
A new start screen? They put ALL of their marbles in on the fact that this game is about coin collecting. That is fucking terrible. Its the absolute worst. I mean sure if it was just side thing it'd be neat, but come the fuck on its the only thing in this bland soulless uncreative that they hung thier hat on. They couldn't put levels extra levels behind a coin counter? Or use a SMB3 inventory system where the items can be bought? Or unlockable characters? or fucking anything but a new freaking start screen?

Add that to the stupid design choice of how the camera works in coop and you have to ask how can so many people let nintendo take a pass on making absolutely horrible and lazy decisions on crucial design elements? This is a game where we should be rising up and saying "damn it nintendo you can do better than this".

You guys say the level design saves it, but I really really don't see it through the first 3 worlds. I think there needs to either be challenge or creativity to make going through levels fun, but obviously the game isn't about challenge and you guys admit this game is without creativity. So why do people say they like the game? I honestly don't understand it.

I got this game expecting they'd do something cool with the coin thing, and assuming there would be at least some neat environments, scenarios, and secret placements, but that was obviously a mistake. I wish there was some way to get a refund.

I think theres definately some challenge in this game. Ive already died countless times..And dont overreact. We all know its nothing innovative or all that special, but it is fun. And a great handheld experience. Refund? Come on dude...

JazzmanZ

you make it sound like Nintendo has never done this before.

Did you catch all the pokemon? here have a piece of paper.

Completed everything in NSMBwii? you get 5 gold stars.

got all the stars in SM64? now you can meet yoshi and get useless 1-ups!

While yea the prize isn't anything cool and the whole coin gimmick was advertised to you to collect a million, it's not all that lame that Nintendo has already done before.

Still I'd like to ask Nintendo why Wario wasn't included in a game about coin collecting.

braves01

Banned

While yea the prize isn't anything cool and the whole coin gimmick was advertised to you to collect a million, it's not all that lame that Nintendo has already done before.

Still I'd like to ask Nintendo why Wario wasn't included in a game about coin collecting.

He would've been a nice reward for 1 mil.

ryushe

I don't have to touch the top of each flagpole with Mario and
Luigi
to get anything like in 3D land, right?

'cause if so, no thanks!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So after beating the game you can
hold L and R when selecting a file to play as Luigi.
I must have missed the message telling you this.

Chopper

You actually make a very good point. A few people could do with reading that and reminding themselves. Particularly on the Pokemon front. Still, Wario really would have been perfect.

I don't have to touch the top of each flagpole with Mario and
Luigi
to get anything like in 3D land, right?

'cause if so, no thanks!
I love that you put that in spoiler tags, as if nobody would easily work out what was under there without highlighting it.

I just bought this game but I am considering returning it and putting the money toward Halo 4.

What should I do gaf?

Mediocre reviews from pretty much everyone in here.

:/

ryushe

As much as I dislike (dirty) DLC, I would pay extremely good money to have Wario as a playable character in this game.

He doesn't even need have his move sets, either. Just his maniacal laugh and I'm good.

Nah, forget that. I want his charging shoulder tackle too.

I love that you put that in spoiler tags, as if nobody would easily work out what was under there without highlighting it.
Wha? I didin't want to spoil that Toad was the secret special character.

zroid

Banned
You actually make a very good point. A few people could do with reading that and reminding themselves. Particularly on the Pokemon front. Still, Wario really would have been perfect.

This is why Nintendo needs to implement their "Accomplishments" as soon as possible.

In another game, on another system, nobody would bat an eye at some ludicrous task like amassing 1 million coins if it awarded them with a gold trophy.

Trophies mean about as much to me as the actual reward for getting 1 million, but at least, presumably, it will put an end to the endless complaints. For the most part.

Peff

None of those other examples were touted like this before release.

This is the most comprehensive thing I, or anyone else on NeoGAF, has posted about the game. Basically it's not particularly inspired, there are a lot of polish issues, and there's pretty little variety, and it's made for younger kids, but I played through it 100% and didn't find it terrible. I think I got it as a gift, so to put it in context if you're the kind of person who spends $20+ on a game and only plays a few games a year, I'm definitely not recommending it, but if you're the kind of person like me that chews through 2 or 3 games a week and has plenty of room for milquetoast stuff, it's enjoyable enough.

Hm, sounds good enough. I was worried the flaws were related to the mechanics rather than the levels themselves. Considering how few and far between platformers we get these days it's probably a decent time for a dry spell.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just bought this game but I am considering returning it and putting the money toward Halo 4.

What should I do gaf?

I don't think everyone here says its mediocre. Some do, some never cared much for NSMB, some think it's a fine mario game, some think it has excellent level design. I'd say it's pretty mixed.

If you really like Mario, I would say go ahead and give it a try.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So after beating the game you can
hold L and R when selecting a file to play as Luigi.
I must have missed the message telling you this.

Speaking of..
Luigi doesn't seem to have his superior jump, or slick running. Or is it just me? :(

clemenx

Banned
Is anyone else completely forgetting that you can fly with the Raccoon Suit? Seems like 3D Land imprinted itself in my brain.

I'm early in World 5, here are some quick thoughts (then back to Steel Diver):

-This game is a lot harder than NSMB or NSMBW, though no one will ever notice because you earn an average of 7 lives per stage
-The raccoon tail is several underutilized. It's like Nintendo was afraid of repeating SMB3/SMW where you could fly over every stage, so levels feel designed to nerf flight
-Of all the other games this takes queues from, it feels the most like SMW to me. A lot will disagree because no cape/no overworld/no Yoshi (major things of course) but level design is very SMW reminiscent
-Those cannon levels? Amazing, except they aren't "real" stages b/c there are no star coins (that would have been a good challenge) and very short
-I'm not feeling the coins thing, it feels really half hearted. A million is such an unachievable goal (I'd have to play about 2000 stages at my current average of 500 coins per map) that I don't feel compelled at all and I'm fairly certain the reward is doo doo
-Also don't get the point of coin rush--not being able to choose which level(s) I'm rushing throws the whole thing off. I'm also not sure what the hook is going to be to buy more levels (though I know I will anyway)
-Game is pretty awesome though Nintendo should have never let this follow SM3DL which I felt was brilliant, this is certainly, by any stretch of the imagine, the best handheld 2D Mario platformer (it's competiting agaist SML, SML2, NSMB so I don't guess it was that hard)
-Thematic similarity to previous games has mattered exactly 0% while playing
-There are a lot of new ideas spread about in the level design, not sure why the marketing didn't show a lot of that (well, besides the fact that Nintendo likes to keep gameplay surprises a, well, surprise)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, I finally completed all levels and collected all star /
moon coins
. I thought the level design throughout the course of the game ranged from okay to great.. which lead me to believe the last stretch of levels, especially in the
Star World
would be amazing. It was really a let down and then the final stage ends with
fighting Dry Bone Bowser in the exact same Bowser fight
. NSMB Wii at least had some amazing levels near the end and the secret stages felt grand. This is of course coming off 3D Land too; Easily my favourite Mario game in the last decade.

I'm not sure how much Coin Rush DLC will help. I really do enjoy the mode, trying for high scores on the tougher stages, but if they package it $4.99 for three stages, which I fear, it feels like too much.

Overall, it was a good way to fill a few days and I enjoyed it. But I'll never remember anything from this game, compared to NSMB Wii, 3D Land, and probably NSMB U.

Cade

Just got this in the mail about a half-hour ago. Still bitter about no golden case, but I'm dealing. This seems pretty great so far, I'm having fun with it. Been playing NSMBDS and this blows it out of the water graphically. I don't like the 3D effect much; in the cave level it's okay, but it's not worth the battery drain.

Thoraxes

What should I do gaf?

Strength: It's Mario.
Weakness: It's Mario.

I do not regret my purchase. Game is fun, and it's enjoyable to play on my commute.

Roto13

Alright, got four sparkly stars. Am only missing the one for maxing out my lives. I have about 750 lives right now, I think, and 65,000-ish coins. I might never get a million since there's not really much incentive too. I'm going to finally dive into Coin Rush mode as soon as I max out my lives from regular play. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm enjoying the game enough to keep playing, even though I've collected every big coin.

Top Bottom