• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

branny

I'm really enjoying this game despite totally not expecting to.

The two kinds of worlds I hated most in NSMB Wii (water and snow) are far less obnoxious in NSMB2. I'm actually in love with one of the ice levels (
4-3 and its ice sliding with piranhas everywhere
). I never thought that would happen with a NSMB game.

The way the gold stuff enhances old things (actually wanting to do repeater blocks for the gold block, having more drive to chase after thrown shells, etc.) and even perverts old tropes (like challenging the instinct to avoid what Lakitu throws at you) is so refreshing. It doesn't matter that coins ultimately mean nothing because a lot of levels so far seem more like playgrounds with all these quirky mechanics. That feeling has been missing from NSMB for me, for whatever reason. The stronger emphasis on exploration is also welcome. All of this stuff mixed with the slightly improved degree of control is making this such a pleasant surprise.

And my earlier impressions of Mario's movement underwater being fixed were wrong. It's still the same. But I haven't run into any annoying blooper hell gauntlets yet like in NSMB Wii, so I'm fine with it. Stuff like that wrecked NSMB Wii's pacing for me. I like speeding through stages, not waiting around like I'm crossing a street.

Socreges

Banned
The levels are maybe 30-50% shorter than in NSMBWii, seems like. Disappointing, but makes it easier to tear through levels when you've missed something.

Really digging Worlds 5 and 6. Great level design.

Socreges

Banned
I'm early in World 5, here are some quick thoughts (then back to Steel Diver):

-This game is a lot harder than NSMB or NSMBW, though no one will ever notice because you earn an average of 7 lives per stage
I'm on world 6 and have barely died. Can't say I'm finding it any tougher than NSMBWii.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The levels are maybe 30-50% shorter than in NSMBWii, seems like. Disappointing, but makes it easier to tear through levels when you've missed something.

Really digging Worlds 5 and 6. Great level design.

I wonder if the length is to encourage playing them again to farm more coins / experiment with collection and chaining strategies? It might get discouraging if the stages where too long.

Gartooth

Just finished every level in the game along with all of the star coins and
moon coins
. Definitely an enjoyable ride and even though the game wasn't wholly original, I really enjoyed the level design along with the new powerups and the return of Raccoon Mario.

Overall the game is easily better than New Super Mario Bros. and in terms of comparing it to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I think 2 was better at hiding secrets in terms of star coins and secret exits, but NSMB Wii was the harder game with much more unforgiving level design.

Anyway for me I guess I will get around to Coin Rush mode sooner or later, got to still get to 1 million coins!
I better figure out how to farm gold or else it will take me forever to get it.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder if the length is to encourage playing them again to farm more coins / experiment with collection and chaining strategies? It might get discouraging if the stages where too long.
Also because it's a handheld game. SM3DL had short levels for the same reason.

branny

SMB3 and SMW had short levels, too. It's more of a pacing thing than a handheld thing. Besides, SM3DL lets you save after every level for maximum handheld convenience, while NSMB2 insists on the usual NSMB save system (meaning you need to beat it first to save anytime).

Btw, everything good I had to say about the game doesn't apply at all to World 6. So disappointing.

The underwater pipe level might be the best level I've played in the game so far. Nothing like making you try every single pipe, while under water, while being chased by Squid.

zroid

Banned
The underwater pipe level might be the best level I've played in the game so far. Nothing like making you try every single pipe, while under water, while being chased by Squid.

This is what I like about the game. It has a very "throwing ideas at the wall" kind of feel, which makes sense given its Mario Cram School foundation.

It doesn't have a ton of COMPLETELY new ideas for this reason, but I like how they're constantly remixing things we're already familiar with. That's refreshing in its own way.

Personally i love the game. Maybe because im a nostalgia sucker, but i love it when these games call back to old stuff like this particular game does.

Anyway, i have a question: Ive found a few alternate exits, is there a way to tell if a level on the map has an alternate exit? I thought it might be SMW style (levels that have 2 exits are red on the map), but it seems like every level is a red dot.

Somnid

I'm up to world 3 and the levels have been great. It has that Lost Levels feel to it. Taking a bunch of building blocks and putting them together in unique ways. You can tell the team was definitely different.

branny

Remixing can only get you so far, though.

Mini Mario, Mega Mario, Shell Mario, Penguin Suit, and Propeller Mario were at least sort of new when they were introduced. Gold Mario is a bigger ripoff than the Ice Flower (irrelevant with the Penguin Suit), and we've had Raccoon Mario several times already.

Medalion

Banned
I really dig the golden coin block helmet though

And the golden fireflower that turns every fireball into King Midas' pyro fantasies

Just beat Bowser for the first time. Totally don't understand the negative leaning reviews, although I guess the gaming community at large is far more concerned about aesthetics than great gameplay/level design.

Sigh...

Anyways, very stoked to start
Star World
and to find all the little secrets scattered about. There seems to be a lot more in this game than in previews New Super Mario games.

My coin count right now is about 19,000. Is anyone anywhere near a million?

zroid

Banned

Mini Mario, Mega Mario, Shell Mario, Penguin Suit, and Propeller Mario were at least sort of new when they were introduced. Gold Mario is a bigger ripoff than the Ice Flower (irrelevant with the Penguin Suit), and we've had Raccoon Mario several times already.

Yeah, totally agree.

Gold Mario is still a blast, though :p I think it's the first power-up that makes you feel like an even bigger badass than the Star.
I don't really consider the Mega Mushroom in this, since it detaches you from the actual gameplay to too great an extent

On a different note, it made me wonder why we haven't seen Metal Mario return in a 2D game. There is surely some potential in that.

branny

I do like the power-ups we have in this game; I just would've liked to see more unique-controlling ones. It's kind of like how disappointing it was to get the Boomerang Suit in SM3DL instead of something that actually feels different from a Fire Flower when Galaxy had Bee Mario, Cloud Mario, etc.

Eventually Mario will get to the point where Kirby was in Super Star years ago, but that day is still far away. :lol

Boogiepop

Beat the final boss. It's weird, but I'm pretty sure that most of the problems/feelings of rehash in this game come from the whole repeating worlds thing. I mean, I definitely felt "oh hey, I beat this world, and now it's time for the desert world. Meh." Instead of being excited to get to what was next, I just kind of felt uninterested. But then the levels themselves are for the most part fantastic. There's a ton of neat little tricks they pull off with the pieces and things feel plenty unique once you're in a level. The fact that the map screen looks identical to past NSMB games definitely isn't helping either.

Still, I'm looking plenty forward to digging in and grabbing all the Star Coins and whatnot.

Glass Joe

Wow, some people are really good. It took me about 5 hours to clear the game the first time. Probably more like 8 to collect enough star coins to unlock and finish the bonus world. Of course, I was screwing around a little, playing coin rush and smelling the roses, so to say. I still don't have every star coin but I want to give the really well hidden ones my best effort before resorting to a guide. I think there's even a couple of hidden levels left for me to discover.

Coin block helmet is really fun though. It encourages you to run instead of play it safe. Gold Mario is pretty satisfying too. I was actually happy that I think I've only run into a Mega Mushroom twice and that seemed more like a reward for playing well than anything. Hell, even Mini-Mario seems less annoying since there's only a few stages and they're pretty well built around it. It's more "oh okay" than "not this again!"

Not sure I'm completely "getting" the coin rush mode. I played the first one early and unlocked some other ones, but apparently only one score saves at a time? I figured there would be a save for each tier. Also I wonder how they balance it, since some levels will be more coin friendly than others. Seems like you could just keep restarting until you get a coin-heavy "level 1," and even if you die later, you can retry -- which seems like a cheat.

Beat the final boss. It's weird, but I'm pretty sure that most of the problems/feelings of rehash in this game come from the whole repeating worlds thing. I mean, I definitely felt "oh hey, I beat this world, and now it's time for the desert world. Meh." Instead of being excited to get to what was next, I just kind of felt uninterested. But then the levels themselves are for the most part fantastic. There's a ton of neat little tricks they pull off with the pieces and things feel plenty unique once you're in a level. The fact that the map screen looks identical to past NSMB games definitely isn't helping either.

Still, I'm looking plenty forward to digging in and grabbing all the Star Coins and whatnot.

I agree completely.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
you make it sound like Nintendo has never done this before.

Did you catch all the pokemon? here have a piece of paper.

Completed everything in NSMBwii? you get 5 gold stars.

got all the stars in SM64? now you can meet yoshi and get useless 1-ups!

While yea the prize isn't anything cool and the whole coin gimmick was advertised to you to collect a million, it's not all that lame that Nintendo has already done before.

Still I'd like to ask Nintendo why Wario wasn't included in a game about coin collecting.

The difference is in those games they do not have anything to do with the main selling point of the game. Here the only selling point of the game to set it apart from NSMB1 was the coins, but the coins are completely meaningless here. They are even more meaningless then they were in any of the other games because lives are so much easier to come by thanks to them devaluing coins by putting so many in the game.

And in all those examples there are more reasons to get those items then just that final reward. Stars in SM64 were the only way to progress, and you get to fight with the pokemon you capture. Having a small reward to incentivize going the extra mile is cool with me, but here the small reward is the only reward.

I think theres definately some challenge in this game. Ive already died countless times..And dont overreact. We all know its nothing innovative or all that special, but it is fun. And a great handheld experience. Refund? Come on dude...

But its not fun to me, and no one has explained why it is fun. And that is why I have buyers remorse which I wish I could solve by returning it, but alas I cannot.

If you are finding challenge that gives a great rewarding feeling when you power past it, then that's great, but I was more talking about super meat boy type challenge as an example of one way that I find platformers fun. Obviously this game is not that nor should it be that, so the creative route is the other option that I know of, which Mario is usually good at, but none of that is here as admitted by even some of the people that like this game.

I guess the third option would be nostalgia, but I didn't want to be that guy that claims bias to deflate other's opinions.

Coin block helmet is really fun though. It encourages you to run instead of play it safe.

I would agree, but you get 100 coins from the coin block helmet no matter what you do. So that makes it kindof pointless.

Gold Mario is pretty satisfying too.

He could be, until you realize the coins are worth nothing so its pretty pointless too.

See what I mean? I do see some potiential hidden deep underneath, but they completely neuter the game with stupid design decisions.

BowieZ

Banned
The next 2D Mario (series) could explore Mario's plumber roots:

- wrench (open or close pipes and taps, unscrew things, use it to swing like a chandelier via bolts in the air/ceiling)
- soldering flame (melt, join, mold stuff)
- pipe cleaner (pogo stick, "clean" pipes for enemies or coins)

Of course, ensuring that speed-running is maintained would be the biggest design challenge: each tool would have to facilitate quick movement, and exploration possibilities as second to that.

Maybe it's more of a Paper Mario idea, but the series has to go SOMEWHERE else...?

branny

^You know, it's only a matter of time before Mario actually gets a Plumber Suit.

Integrating all three of those abilities would probably be handled like Yoshi's temporary shell abilities in SMW.

...It'll never happen, joke or not. :(

BowieZ

Banned
^You know, it's only a matter of time before Mario actually gets a Plumber Suit.

Integrating all three of those abilities would probably be handled like Yoshi's temporary shell abilities in SMW.

...It'll never happen, joke or not. :(
Well he already has the suit (overalls!) just not the equipment!

Always hitting those bricks with his bare hands...

Roto13

Yeah, totally agree.

Gold Mario is still a blast, though :p I think it's the first power-up that makes you feel like an even bigger badass than the Star.
I don't really consider the Mega Mushroom in this, since it detaches you from the actual gameplay to too great an extent

On a different note, it made me wonder why we haven't seen Metal Mario return in a 2D game. There is surely some potential in that.

Metal Mario basically existed to show off the capabilities of the N64. :p

Glass Joe

I would agree, but you get 100 coins from the coin block helmet no matter what you do. So that makes it kindof pointless.

Is it? I did notice it go away after a while, sometimes it seemed to leave quicker than others. Guess it would have been better if it was timed then :-/

The difference is in those games they do not have anything to do with the main selling point of the game. Here the only selling point of the game to set it apart from NSMB1 was the coins, but the coins are completely meaningless here. They are even more meaningless then they were in any of the other games because lives are so much easier to come by thanks to them devaluing coins by putting so many in the game.

It's not a main selling point. It's the main gimmick used to promote the game. It's still a new adventure. And actually I think a new 2D Mario doesn't need a gimmick at all, it just has to be fun and that's enough of a selling point.

The coin related things don't ruin the game for me, and stuff like Coin Rush give players a reason to master each stage instead of just getting the 3 medals and never revisiting it again. If there was no announced "million coin" goal and just a pointless counter (or no counter at all), maybe you could see it for the platforming goodness it really is?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The next 2D Mario (series) could explore Mario's plumber roots:

- wrench (open or close pipes and taps, unscrew things, use it to swing like a chandelier via bolts in the air/ceiling)
- soldering flame (melt, join, mold stuff)
- pipe cleaner (pogo stick, "clean" pipes for enemies or coins)

Of course, ensuring that speed-running is maintained would be the biggest design challenge: each tool would have to facilitate quick movement, and exploration possibilities as second to that.

Maybe it's more of a Paper Mario idea, but the series has to go SOMEWHERE else...?

It doesn't have to be that drastic. Hell they could have just done what everyone asked for and made NSMB2 a new version of SMB2 with magic carpets and throwing things.

Or bring back SMW and make exploring a major part of the gameplay again.

Maybe do a giant tower type of game and make vertical gameplay and wall jumping a major part, while bringing back spring and balloon marios. Or send him to some future mechanical with vehicles acting as powerups, that have a little extra momentum but increase movement abilities, maybe with suicidal yoshi jumps between vehicles in some stages.

Or just come up with new enemy types, or new stage aestetics or freaking anything. The standards obviously aren't very high.

branny

Well he already has the suit (overalls!) just not the equipment!

Always hitting those bricks with his bare hands...
Haha, right. I was thinking something more along the lines of a toolbelt. :p

Actually, that'd be perfect if Mario were overhauled into a stage-based Metroidvania. He'd have to recover his full arsenal of unique and interesting plumbing tools that were scattered across several worlds. Eventually he'd have all he needs to reach his final confrontation with DraculaBowser. But then he gets captured, so you get to play as other characters like Yoshi and Wario, who each control differently (a la SM64DS), to find him when the Mushroom Kingdom or wherever they are gets turned upside-down. Or something.

edit: sm64 2d metroidvania remake gogo nintendo

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta Catch'em All!

Which is why I included my second point, which is that there is a reward for catching even just one pokemon, while here useless 1ups and the 1 million coin reward are the only rewards.

It's not a main selling point. It's the main gimmick used to promote the game. It's still a new adventure. And actually I think a new 2D Mario doesn't need a gimmick at all, it just has to be fun and that's enough of a selling point.

The coin related things don't ruin the game for me, and stuff like Coin Rush give players a reason to master each stage instead of just getting the 3 medals and never revisiting it again. If there was no announced "million coin" goal and just a pointless counter (or no counter at all), maybe you could see it for the platforming goodness it really is?

I dont know. I thought the level design was as uninspired in layout as it was in the aestetics, but I'd love to hear some examples of levels you thought did some really neat things that you haven't seen before.

Socreges

Banned
SMB3 and SMW had short levels, too. It's more of a pacing thing than a handheld thing.
Really, it's a handheld thing. Nintendo has said as much. NSMBWii had longer levels. I assure you NSMBU will, as well.

branny said:
Besides, SM3DL lets you save after every level for maximum handheld convenience, while NSMB2 insists on the usual NSMB save system (meaning you need to beat it first to save anytime).
I'm not sure what you mean. You can save after every level in NSMB2, right from the start.

Glass Joe

I dont know. I thought the level design was as uninspired in layout as it was in the aestetics, but I'd love to hear some examples of levels you thought did some really neat things that you haven't seen before.

Hmm, I think trying to convince you would be a wasted effort -- you'd come to the conclusion you have after going through the first 3 worlds (only 1/3 of the game) - if not before. And of course those are the simplest courses, as Mario gets progressively harder by design.

But a lot of the mini-mushroom stuff was pretty cool. Some of the medals have been clever. Spider web stuff is alright as is the rope swinging. I like the coin head and gold flower. But it's more about good level design, coupled with the already tried & true.

But if you were looking for NSMB 2 to reinvent the wheel or something, you probably should have researched your purchase, since the screen shots & hype all pointed to what you're complaining about. I won't argue that there could be some variety or innovation behind the game, but this has been a lot of fun and certainly not something I'd want to try to refund.

Plus... It is a portable game. I've always looked at consoles to be the main-line Marios, so actually getting "new" levels on a portable is a nice thing. Maybe that's not an excuse (especially since NSMB started on DS), but it's nicer than simply getting an NSMB Wii port.

branny

I'm not sure what you mean. You can save after every level in NSMB2, right from the start.
Seriously? I'm pretty sure I got a message after beating the game saying that ability was unlocked. My bad. It doesn't really matter, anyway. I thought I could use the saving disparity as support for my argument that each game is treated its own way, handheld or not.

I still think that, while Nintendo may prefer shorter levels for handhelds, longer levels are a relatively recent development because SMB, SMB3, SMW, and others all had bite-size levels compared to NSMB Wii.

Did the US version get the artwork on the inside of the box? The Japanese version was really swanky.
Nothing on the inside of mine. :(

Man, I sure wish Sonic had Mario's problems :(
Ew, I don't. Do you mean having a "mediocre" entry that's still selling gangbusters?

I got so fed up with ghost houses in NSMB2 that I just played SM3DL for the past hour. If I had to deal with something like a ghost house in Sonic, I...well, Sonic moving slowly is bad. Plus, the music in Sonic games is great. I don't want Sonic to get shitty music. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I had to deal with something like a ghost house in Sonic, I...well, Sonic moving slowly is bad. Plus, the music in Sonic games is great. I don't want Sonic to get shitty music. :p

But Sonic had to move slowly plenty of times in the old Sonic games and not just underwater. It wasn't all about dashing to the right.

branny

^The only two Sonic games I like are Colors Wii and Generations. The others don't really exist to me.

edit: even then, there still weren't convoluted sequences of doors that arbitrarily led to random places :|

Drago

Man, that sucks. The JP and European packages are really nice.
Yeah.

If the box at least had the inner cover, I would have went physical for the game. Oh well... :/

Anyways, abused a Coin Rush pack that got me 12,000+ coins a run until I got to 500,000 coins. Halfway there... lol. Got all 5 stars earlier today too (the fact that the White leaf just has to show up instead of being used to remove the star's shine is some bullshit though). Loved the game, my favorite NSMB game so far. (Never finished Wii though, disc broke before I could)

I eagerly anticipate some DLC for it (if it's reasonable). Hopefully I can get a box copy eventually to put into the collection :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh man, there's no way to turn off the DOF effect in 3D? Boo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Putting the slider halfway gives near the same depth as full 3D and the blurring is barely there if you want to try that

Hey cool, thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a little frustrating that you don't get any indications of which worlds have secret exits. The map is very winding, so sometimes there are three different worlds that could have a secret exit.

Top Bottom