• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Come on, IGN:

Wii brought multiplayer to the Mushroom Kingdom, but many players were put off by the chaotic four-player format. The same problems apply here, as so many characters attempting to leap and run through an environment simply leads to more deaths, not more fun. And there’s certainly no reason to have more than one player present – everything is achievable alone. Adding a fifth participant in the form of someone who can place blocks with the GamePad doesn’t help either. Players still ricochet off each other like pinballs, and deaths and power-ups still momentarily pause the action for everyone. Families and friends might enjoy the madness for brief moments, but if at any time anyone is actually trying to accomplish something, playing with others isn’t really a suitable option.

They really count the multiplayer mode as a negative. I don't even. Clearly they are playing with the wrong people, and with the wrong goals. NSMBW/U multi is unimpeachable when it comes to laugh-riot-times with friends.

They really count the multiplayer mode as a negative. I don't even. Clearly they are playing with the wrong people, and with the wrong goals. NSMBW/U multi is unimpeachable when it comes to laugh-riot-times with friends.

I'm so indifferent about the multiplayer. I'm not saying it isn't important as it is part of the game's content and is therefore open to criticism, but if it's the only thing that reviews really knock, I'm personally not phased by that.

For me it's like knocking Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer. I think I played about five minutes of that to see what it was like, shrugged, and went back to the phenomenal single-player.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
For me it's like knocking Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer. I think I played about five minutes of that to see what it was like, shrugged, and went back to the phenomenal single-player.

This comparison is crazy-times. I mean for an individual, fine, someone who doesn't much play multi has no reason to give a crap about the multiplayer modes. But NSMB multiplayer is a massive emphasis, not comparable to Prime 2's modes in the least. I love LOVE single player Mario, but I think the times I played multi with three friends far eclipse the quality of the solo experience. NSMBW was one of the best party games on the Wii.

Also

GI won't post their review until they see what online features it may have

Now this I respect. All these pre-Miiverse reviews are crazy to me, completely ignoring a huge aspect of the Wii U and what it adds to games. GI +1.

Now this I respect. All these pre-Miiverse reviews are crazy to me, completely ignoring a huge aspect of the Wii U and what it adds to games. GI +1.

I can definitely respect that, but we know Miiverse doesn't add all THAT much to the experience in this game. That said, any of these people giving reviews that don't update to mention the Miiverse content and what it adds/subtracts from the experience will get a -1 imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Come on, IGN:

It's like they expect it to be coop multiplayer, when it clearly isn't.

Dartastic

I'm really interested to see where the next NSMB goes. I hope they blow it all out and go crazy. ...and for the love of god, give us some new, good music. Please.

This comparison is crazy-times. I mean for an individual, fine, someone who doesn't much play multi has no reason to give a crap about the multiplayer modes. But NSMB multiplayer is a massive emphasis, not comparable to Prime 2's modes in the least. I love LOVE single player Mario, but I think the times I played multi with three friends far eclipse the quality of the solo experience. NSMBW was one of the best party games on the Wii.

You're right, which is why I emphasized "personally." I realize that NSMBU's online is a much bigger deal than Metroid Prime 2's, but for me it's the same kind of situation: I care not for online functionality. As long as the single player is good, that's all I'm in for. That's why I said it's not a big deal to me, but that it's still part of the game and therefore open to criticism.

Come on, IGN:

I don't give two shits about multiplayer in a platformer, so it's good to hear that he likes it as a singleplayer game.

iyox

I think IGN missed the point on the multiplayer. I really enjoyed it at the Wii-u preview event. The person using the tablet always had great fun sabotaging the players and it was a battle just to get to the end. I thought it was a cool aspect of the game and something I will definitely play with friends and family.

Oersted

Tezuka: Yes. We also are planning additional courses.

Iwata: As with New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the Nintendo 3DS, you’re talking about the additional courses.

Tezuka: Yes. We’re trying to think of ways of play that are different from New Super Mario Bros. 2, but we haven’t made anything yet! (laughs)

Iwata: Right, rather than distributing content that’s premade at a later date, you’re going to start working on it now.

Iwamoto: Yes. The mechanism for adding courses is already there, so please stand by for an update on what they’ll be like.

What makes you wonder... will only "current reviews" be possible? Right now, sentences like " It should have been bigger and do you know what? It will be. DLC with new courses are right around the corner" seem to be pretty approbiate.

backlot

What makes you wonder... will only "current reviews" be possible? Right now, sentences like " It should have been bigger and do you know what? It will be. DLC with new courses are right around the corner" seem to be pretty approbiate.

NSMBU's DLC will almost certainly not be free. "The game was too short but that's ok because you can buy more levels" would not be something mentioned positively in a review.

Teknoman

Bring on the dlc! Especially if it really expands or even brings in totally new stages. Nothing remixed since we have alot of space to work with.

Also looking at the IGN review video, the game looks pretty fun and challenging. Shame about using the same themes aside from having a new main theme. I dont think we'll get a full on new soundtrack ala Mario World until the next non-bros entry.

Oersted

NSMBU's DLC will almost certainly not be free. "The game was too short but that's ok because you can buy more levels" would not be something mentioned positively in a review.

Even if that is a case, when the 2 bucks extra are having an actual impact, you have to rethink it. I´m not saying "look, there will be free DLC, and it will make remarkably better". I´m saying the game isn´t done when it is released. Just look at Layton. Next year you will have 365 extra riddles for free. In the beginning it "only" had 150.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, they're gonna be DLC for this?

This. I had an absolute blast with my friends and roommates cause of the multiplayer. It's probably the best party game on the Wii, and probably the best party game in general since SSBM. And I don't use that comparison lightly!

Social

Played a few levels of the final game today. It left a much better impression on me compared to the Eurogamer demo.

I think I'll be playing it more on the Gamepad instead of the TV.

That underground theme has to be the most overused piece of music in the Mario library, i'm so tired of it.
At least it makes me feel better about some of the other reused themes.

Why should every game be online?

Demon's/Dark Souls style messaging in all single player games.

"Amazing item box ahead"
"Immediate Hidden Block"
"Try running"

And watching the ghosts of other players falling down chasms.
Okay I was joking here but it would actually be a pretty funny novelty, nothing necessary though.

Demon's/Dark Souls style messaging in all single player games.

"Amazing item box ahead"
"Immediate Hidden Block"
"Try running"

And watching the ghosts of other players falling down chasms.
Okay I was joking here but it would actually be a pretty funny novelty, nothing necessary though.
In a sense, doesn't NSMBU actually have something similar?

Agreed. There's no fucking reason it shouldn't. And I don't want to hear Nintendo's fucking excuses this generation. EVERY FUCKING GAME should be online, period.

Some people really really don't understand online.
You know all the difficulty Nintendo went to to get lag free control to the pad? Yeah you kind of need that unless you want to remove hit detection in NSMBU.

I wouldn't want such lag and issues in NSMB single player; but if Nintendo makes another Mario I think some of those Challenge levels could be made multiplayer.

Things like tag/live ghost race etc. are possible.

Some people really really don't understand online.
You know all the difficulty Nintendo went to to get lag free control to the pad? Yeah you kind of need that unless you want to remove hit detection in NSMBU.

They act like it takes as much work to have online in games than it does to have Off TV play on the Gamepad.

It's not two lines of code.

This entitlement is absurdly silly.

The Hermit

Come on, IGN:

I never forget that moments of desperation and everyone turn into bubbles... Best multi ever.

Seriously. I originally thought it was a gimmick having the MP in but NSMBWii easily became my favorite Mario just because of the multiplayer. I've played it dozens of times and 100% completed multiple save files with at least one other person. I've played the game by myself once or twice and it just wasn't as fun.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Agreed. There's no fucking reason it shouldn't. And I don't want to hear Nintendo's fucking excuses this generation. EVERY FUCKING GAME should be online, period.

Unfortunately, the realities differ. Every game cannot be online without compromising the game experience. Regardless of platform, developer, or publisher.

There's a reason why certain twitch arcade games don't have online play, for instance.

In a world where the casual gamer plays mainly COD, it's understandable why they might not understand why internet doesn't automatically work with every conceivable game - without hurting the experience. Or limiting design. So yeah, many players may puzzle at why every video game doesn't have live online multiplayer.

This cognitive disconnect becomes worse when a game is built around multiplayer, but still isn't really feasible to put online without degrading the quality of its play.

The only solution is to compromise the design of a game for the sake of online multiplayer. If you value online more than anything else, at any cost, then obviously that'd be acceptable. It's not acceptable for everyone though, for every game.

Unfortunately, the realities differ. Every game cannot be online without compromising the game experience. Regardless of platform, developer, or publisher.

There's a reason why certain twitch arcade games don't have online play, for instance.

In a world where the casual gamer plays mainly COD, it's understandable why they might not understand why internet doesn't automatically work with every conceivable game - without hurting the game experience. So yeah, many players may puzzle at why every video game doesn't have live online multiplayer.

This cognitive disconnect becomes worse when a game is built around multiplayer, but still isn't really feasible to put online without degrading the quality of its play.

The only solution is to compromise the design of a game for the sake of online multiplayer. If you value online more than anything else, at any cost, then obviously that'd be acceptable. It's not acceptable for everyone though, for every game.

It's not just that, we shouldn't dictate the artist/developer's vision.

I mean, I like ballads and so do so many other people so my favorite band should put one on every album they make!!!

Now it would be great if every developer gave thought to making games (that would lend themselves well) online but should they be obligated to???

I think it's fucking horseshit, it's their game, their vision.

They obviously spent a lot of time and money on that recycled audio and assets to make a decent online system.

Make next generation when that Newer Super Mario Bros U-2 drops

Top Bottom