• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Jtrizzy

I was never expecting anything as good as SMW, but I haven't truly played through a Mario game in full since 64, so I'm sure nostalgia levels will be high. Tried to play the galaxy games but the waggle and sub hd was just too much for me. I really really hope they make e shop versions of MG 1 and 2 and DKCR that I can play on the gamepad. I bet they would look great on that screen.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Nothing against feep, but I rarely agree with his criticisms. He could give the game a 2/5 and I would still feel comfortable knowing that I will love this game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was never expecting anything as good as SMW, but I haven't truly played through a Mario game in full since 64, so I'm sure nostalgia levels will be high. Tried to play the galaxy games but the waggle and sub hd was just too much for me. I really really hope they make e shop versions of MG 1 and 2 and DKCR that I can play on the gamepad. I bet they would look great on that screen.

It's great to have you HD whores back in the Nintendo fold ;)

simtmb

Tbh a large part of the reason i pre-ordered this game, was that i felt i needed another WiiU title to play whenever i take a break from ZombiU or feel like something else. However I'd end up getting it regardless since its the only other launch title i'm keen to play.

Jtrizzy

Well I probably would have kept the wii, but the waggle was so annoying. And 480p just doesn't look good on a 50" 1080p set. I am kind of surprised this game won't be running in 1080p, but after seeing it on the demo stations a few times I'm not worried, it looks great. Rayman had less jaggies though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well I probably would have kept the wii, but the waggle was so annoying. And 480p just doesn't look good on a 50" 1080p set. I am kind of surprised this game won't be running in 1080p, but after seeing it on the demo stations a few times I'm not worried, it looks great. Rayman had less jaggies though.

Well you're not alone... it's understandable. I just got an 50" Plasma this year so easy for me to be on board the Wii train for all these years (although having said that... modern plasma TVs make games like Galaxy look just fine)

Jtrizzy

Yeah I'm probably going to end up re buying MG and DKCR. It would be truly amazing if they made them just wish they would make them waggle free and on the pad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Feep told me his review he gave it 1/10 said it was the worst game he's played all years and a travesty to Nintendo's portfolio and the entire industry.

start-icon.png

is this taken? I want it. Guess I'll go ahead and change my avatar to it and if its taken I'll change it back tomorrow.

Also; Is there a rule where two people can't have the same avatar? Looked in the FAQ board and didn't see a rule for it. Theres always a avatar that I wanna switch to but its taken everytime. I don't understand why such a rule would be in place but it seems like theres a rule with people always asking if its taken...just something I've always wondered about.

Anywayz: Really looking forward this. The main reason I'm buying WiiU at launch. Love all the NSMB games and can't wait for the next set of levels with NSMBU!

Jtrizzy

Gotta bitch about the lack of online co op. I know it was never promised, but I figured it was a given at this point. I didn't get a chance to follow the thread on the feasibility of the whole thing, but I have to believe that 2 player online could have been accomplished. This or a DK game online co op would be a great middle ground for me and and my not so hardcore gaming friends/family.

Micerider

Had a Wii U pre-order up for 2 months, I was really looking forward to playing Rayman Legends and Pimin 3. I had moderate interests in Zombi U and NSMB U.

Now, I see that Rayman and Pikmin would have to wait for 2013 and I can only have that blank stare at NSMB U....which seems ok but still the same old formula with a twist...and to be honest, after 3 NSMB (and numerous playthrough of previous 2D Mario games), there is a bit of fatigue (thing I NEVER had for any 3D Mario games).

So yeah, I will cancel my pre-order and wait for 2013 to re-consider. Yes, we may have a Nintendo console launching with a Mario game again...but they played it too safe for my taste (now, I only beg to be surprised after launch, but that's not sufficient to be an early adopter).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
? to anybody who can answer: When a player takes damage in co-op, does the entire game still do that half-second pause as they take damage? Mechanically, that was probably the one and only thing about NSMBW that irritated me.

I'm leaning toward picking this system up for this game alone. NSMBW is easily my 2nd favorite 2D Mario, although I haven't played the 3DS entries yet. If I get a hold of this by Christmas I'm going to see if I can round up enough friends for a 4P blind run livestream. Playing NSMBW with my old crew was a phenomenal experience. Even some of them who had dropped gaming altogether years ago were way into it.

Gotta bitch about the lack of online co op. I know it was never promised, but I figured it was a given at this point. I didn't get a chance to follow the thread on the feasibility of the whole thing, but I have to believe that 2 player online could have been accomplished. This or a DK game online co op would be a great middle ground for me and and my not so hardcore gaming friends/family.
It could have been done, but I'm 100% sure it would have been a laggy, irritating mess, be it through legitimate difficulties with the technology or simply Nintendo's ineptitude. Online play in general is probably the most disappointing aspect of the current console generation for me. So many of the games I'm particularly fond of play terrible online.

Feep

Banned
If you're leaving, fuck the embargo, what are they going to do?
Nothing, I guess, but I don't want to burn any bridges. It's a very connected world. = D

And I guess I can answer my ranking of existing NSMB games... Wii > 2 > 1.

PogiJones

Banned
Nothing against feep, but I rarely agree with his criticisms. He could give the game a 2/5 and I would still feel comfortable knowing that I will love this game.

So I was going to agree with you, because I remember him being pretty hard on Skyward Sword in the thread. But I just went back and looked at the actual review on G4TV, and while he gave it a 4/5, it seems his criticisms were fair, and 4/5 is a better score than 8/10, for some weird reason. I liked the game a lot more than he did, apparently (the moment
I began sailing on the desert sea
alone warrants a 9 from me; that moment blew my mind). But I guess what I'm saying is, Feep was harder on the game in the Skyward Sword thread than he was in his actual review, as he seemed to want to dishearten people, so he might be doing the same thing here. Not that NSMBU was ever going to be as good as Skyward Sword, but just saying, don't be too disheartened by what he says here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you're leaving, fuck the embargo, what are they going to do?

Given Feep is a gentlemen and a scholar, I'm sure he'd like to retain a positive attachment to the industry he enjoys, and not needlessly tarnish his reputation with unreliability and mistrust at the last minute :p.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, don't think anyone was expecting anything like SMW. People just like the fact that the overworld resembles SMW's. Otherwise why would anyone expect something close to it? This is still the same core NSMB gameplay, through and through.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Given Feep is a gentlemen and a scholar, I'm sure he'd like to retain a positive attachment to the industry he enjoys, and not needlessly tarnish his reputation with unreliability and mistrust at the last minute :p.

that was going to be my other post, but I went with 'fuck' instead. I'm nothing if not eloquent.

What about my hopes that it's at least as good as NSMBWii?
I think NSMBWii is pretty much on par with SMW, what now?

Feep told me his review he gave it 1/10 said it was the worst game he's played all years and a travesty to Nintendo's portfolio and the entire industry.
This is surely his last chance to receive threatening and hurtful comments for disappointing people with a less than acceptable score so he's going out with a bang.

demidar

You know that feature in Brawl that lets players set which music a stage plays at whatever probability they want? They should do that here, or make old music unlockable by doing perfect runs since veterans who's played those old games are far better than the newcomers, why not reward them?

RagnarokX

Yeah, don't think anyone was expecting anything like SMW. People just like the fact that the overworld resembles SMW's. Otherwise why would anyone expect something close to it? This is still the same core NSMB gameplay, through and through.
I'm expecting better than SMW because NSMBWii was. It's not a difficult task.

You know that feature in Brawl that lets players set which music a stage plays at whatever probability they want? They should do that here, or make old music unlockable by doing perfect runs since veterans who's played those old games are far better than the newcomers, why not reward them?

This is actually a good idea. Could keep the music how they want it for the first runs and then unlock more to customize. It might actually work well in NSMB.

did anyone really expect this game to come close to smw? lol

i'd be happy if it's as good or better than nsmb 2

It's delusional wishful thinking, it's New Super Mario Brothers that looks slicker and has a bigger map.

I agree with your second point, liked New Super Mario Brothers 2 a good deal and hope the regular levels are as well designed as those.

Because that along with the extra modes would make it a memorable game to me.

Seda

Polygon 8.5

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U IS WHERE THE SERIES WOULD HAVE GONE IF 3D HAD NEVER HAPPENED

That's really what separates New Super Mario Bros. U from its "New" predecessors: It adds something to the Mario formula. It's exciting and full of inventive ideas. Until now, the New Super Mario Bros. games have been a fun but mostly mindless reminder of how great Mario was back on the NES or SNES.

New Super Mario Bros. U actually feels like it's from that era. It's where the series would have gone next if the transition to 3D had never happened, and it feels great to be back on that track.

I can see why IGN knocked it for the music, which is a huge shame as the music really sucks in the NSMB titles, but I'm having a harder time understanding why he was so hard on the graphics. He's talking about how disappointing the visuals are while I'm seeing the visuals and not agreeing at all. Of course they're not pushing what the console can do, but who expected that right out of the gate? It still has very nice, clean visuals and the art style is a lot better than in the other NSMB games.

Seda

Joystiq 4.5/5

The New Super Mario Bros. series may have taken the beloved Nintendo franchise back to its 2D roots, but New Super Mario Bros. U reintroduces what made the original games so good in the first place. It proves that there's more to the formula than just impeccable platforming. There's a sense of wonder again, of exploration and discovery. I'm not quite prepared to say New Super Mario Bros. U fully recaptures the spark of Mario's 2D heyday, but it's an impressive step in the right direction.

Now, Nintendo, about that cape ...

Top Bottom