• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Gbraga

Lakitu-icon.png

Is this taken?

Will definitely be a Day 1 purchase, I love how they seem to be investing in speed run design more heavily than ever. Needs to be a replay save feature if there isn't one, and a global and friends leaderboard.

I agree I love how Nintendo at least appears to be more heavily supporting speed runs in this game. It's one feature that can definitely give games longer lifes and larger fan bases ,not that a Mario game really needs that though. That said, all one needs to do to see that speedrunning has gotten pretty big is look at a streaming site like Twitch and runners like Siglemic on SM64. It'd be cool if more of Nintendo's modern games could become popular stream/speed running games. It certainly couldn't hurt anything I don't think.

nullset2

Hmm, interesting thought...

Is it possible to pipe the sound through the controller while still playing on the TV? I would like to play sound effects through the controller (with music muted) while using my own music with my sound system. Anything to escape the "bah".

Dunno if it's me, but I remember playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with music off. Don't remember if it was supported in-game, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dunno if it's me, but I remember playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with music off. Don't remember if it was supported in-game, though.
I did the same, but only because I switched to a different audio input and used my own music.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After watching all the new media, I do think Nintendo has probably recognized that a lot of people want a return to Super Mario World and styles of games different from the NSMB brand. Get the feeling this game is an attempt to meet everyone halfway. You can't blame them for using the NSMB brand, the modern mainstream recognizes it, it sells, and launching a platform with it could be critical.

But besides that, there is a lot of stuff tilting the game back towards non-NSMB branded Mario games.

Funny enough, an interview about Paper Mario Sticker Star revealed that Miyamoto specifically requested the game ape Super Mario World, rather than an unrelated setting and universe - right down to the world map.

For all the griping, Nintendo does listen to what people are talking about.

Emitan

After watching all the new media, I do think Nintendo has probably recognized that a lot of people want a return to Super Mario World and styles of games different from the NSMB brand. Get the feeling this game is an attempt to meet everyone halfway. You can't blame them for using the NSMB brand, the modern mainstream recognizes it, it sells, and launching a platform with it could be critical.

But besides that, there is a lot of stuff tilting the game back towards non-NSMB branded Mario games.

Funny enough, an interview about Paper Mario Sticker Star revealed that Miyamoto specifically requested the game ape Super Mario World, rather than an unrelated setting and universe - right down to the world map.

For all the griping, Nintendo does listen to what people are talking about.

Is this where I say this is a great thing because SMW is the best Mario game and this turns into list wars? Because SMW is totally my favorite Mario game.

Blueblur1

Is this where I say this is a great thing because SMW is the best Mario game and this turns into list wars? Because SMW is totally my favorite Mario game.
Yep, I'm preparing my list right now!

In all seriousness though, I liked SMB3 better but SMW was better in some respects so I understand and respect your opinion. Regardless, NSMBU looks to be a little different than the previous "New" games which I'm thankful for.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
JP site updated. If anyone wants anything translated, let me know.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arpj/index.html

actually can you translate this for me? its an excerpt about miiverse

「コミュニティ」は共通の話題で自由気ままに思いを共有できる場です。すべてのWii U用ソフトにはそれぞれ専用の「コミュニティ」があり、お気に入りのソフトの情報を交換したり、気になるソフトの評判をチェックしたりすることができます。

Hobby

actually can you translate this for me? its an excerpt about miiverse

「コミュニティ」は共通の話題で自由気ままに思いを共有できる場です。すべてのWii U用ソフトにはそれぞれ専用の「コミュニティ」があり、お気に入りのソフトの情報を交換したり、気になるソフトの評判をチェックしたりすることができます。

Communities are places in which experiences can be freely shared within common/shared topics. There are separate communities for all Wii U games. Communities let you exchange information about games you like, as well as checking others' commentary about games you're interested in.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Communities are places in which experiences can be freely shared within common/shared topics. There are separate communities for all Wii U games. Communities let you exchange information about games you like, as well as checking others' commentary about games you're interested in.

dangit, that's too vague to ascertain whether we're able to make our own custom communities or not. nevertheless, thank you.

Richie

Thanks a bunch. So basically, the Wii U's games' forums. That you translated it as Communities, however, made me wonder if this time around, they accomplished the goal they had with the 3DS; to make Mario Kart 7's Communities an OS feature.

Platy

Third commercial was insane. The part with the wall-jumping off the magic blocks? Wow.

Super Play videos confirmed ???

PLEASE SAY YES !!!!

The best unlockable feature EVER MADE must not die in a single game =(

edit :

I agree I love how Nintendo at least appears to be more heavily supporting speed runs in this game.

Usualy awesome speed runs means just that the game has an INCREDIBLE level design

Kunan

lol no way, real life it will play out like: Mario jumps but because Luigi jumped early Mario gets bonked back down to his death, Luigi makes it through and drags the screen killing both toads.
This paragraph perfectly summarizes why I love the games.

HylianTom

Banned
Sooon. Soooooooon!

So damn ready for this one. I've got three days off to do some marathon Mario gaming. It will be glorious. :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow I really hope this is full of some hidden magic. The graphics and world map give me hope.

If this is just as good as New Super Mario Bros 2, then it's actually worse than New Super Mario Bros 2. This needs to be Nintendo console launch-worthy!

Hiltz

I have a feeling either New SMBU or Nintendo Land will get an 8.5 score from Ign. With New SMBU, I fear the mention of recycled music, same ugly character models, lack of compelling new power-ups, gameplay probably too easy and lacking fresh ideas. I really hope Nintendo surprises us, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Right now New SMBU and ZombiU are the two launch games I'm most interested in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The music doesn't, though. I love the new stuff, but the majority of the game's music appears to be recycled. I'm bummed.

Absolutely.

Although I hope there is one or two tracks tucked away in there that have some beauty......? A water level track.....?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I would be fairly surprised if IGN gave it any more than an 8.5.

After watching all the new media, I do think Nintendo has probably recognized that a lot of people want a return to Super Mario World and styles of games different from the NSMB brand. Get the feeling this game is an attempt to meet everyone halfway.

Eh, I'd say it's more like 30-40% rather than halfway, personally.

Top Bottom