• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

zroid

Banned
While I would like NSMBU to be online (even though I probably won't actually play online), expecting Nintendo to be a pioneer in the world of online 4 player co-op action platforming is a bit of an ask for them. It's obviously not their priority and I don't think they will make it theirs until they see a multiplayer platformer (like a future Rayman, for example) go online seamlessly. Then they might put some effort into figuring it out.

Till then, it ain't gonna happen.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yup. Wiimote is waggle, Gamepad is ZL.
So you can use the gamepad for normal play and not just block-laying for other players? (Probably sounds like a dumb question; I'm not on the up and up with details though.)

Fantastic if that's the case. Waggle jump was one of those persistent issues of NSMBW that wasn't game-breaking by any means but certainly irritated me from start to finish.

Juice

Just popping in to say that Ars' review that this is the best 2D Mario since SMW has me VERY excited about this game (which I was pretty meh on previously)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just popping in to say that Ars' review that this is the best 2D Mario since SMW has me VERY excited about this game (which I was pretty meh on previously)

Just read their review. Seems they weren't too stoked on NSMB: Wii.

Dr.Hadji

Seriously. I originally thought it was a gimmick having the MP in but NSMBWii easily became my favorite Mario just because of the multiplayer. I've played it dozens of times and 100% completed multiple save files with at least one other person. I've played the game by myself once or twice and it just wasn't as fun.

What gets me about the "multiplayer is too hectic only good for lulz" comments is the notion that a group of players couldn't get better by continuing to play together. I played all of NewWii in 3 player multiplayer. Took some doing but somewhere between World 1 and 2 we got it down. I would love to know how long they gave their multiplayer experiment a go.

SpokkX

The music is, probably with some exceptions, exactly the same. That's remarkably lazy.

At least the level aesthetics are pretty sweet.

Identical except for the new standard grass level theme.

I really like the last one though... Underused in the wii version

Hiltz

Iwata said this back in January 2012:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-be-drawn-into-expensive-tech-race-with-wii-u

Looking at the software for home console systems, there are certainly the software titles for which very rich graphics must be reproduced on HD displays and which demand a large number of developers to spend a very long time to develop.It is one of the truths that a certain number of such software titles must be prepared, or the consumers will not be satisfied. But we do not think that any and all the software must be created in that fashion.

When you look at Nintendo's software, extraordinary rich graphics, massive gameplay volume and astonishing rendition effects are not necessarily the appealing point. It is, in fact, important for us that our games are appealing in other ways as well. (Iwata offered Nintendo's quirky Rhythm Heaven series as an example) if we had adopted rich photo-realistic graphics, it would have lost much of its appeal.

What's important here is not to narrow down what we can do. Rather, we have to create the dynamic range of appeals that the consumers can appreciate. As I mentioned, it is true that, in some software areas, we need to be engaged in the power games. Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources.

I think this explains why New SMBU looks and sounds so similar to previous titles in the New SMB series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmm, Newegg still hasn't processed or shipped my order on this yet. I did log in and check and it is still on preorder. I hoped to get it Monday but that's looking unlikely.

m.i.s.

Banned
The whole map thing that's going on with NSMB U bothers me. Like Super Mario Galaxy, it's far too spread out and sometimes changes with no gradation from one area to the next. eg from the grassy area straight into, what I'm assuming is, some desert brown-hued area. Looking at Super Mario World or even Super Mario Bros 3, you can see that the dots representing one world to the next are close together and, consequently, the map is compact which makes navigation a breeze.

images
images

cf to this -

images
images

Alternatively, I'd like to see a more tightly focused game -- like the original SMB on NES -- a NSMB with no map at all or a non-interactive map that just shows progression like SMB DX for Gameboy Color -

118925-super-mario-bros-deluxe-game-boy-color-screenshot-map-overview.jpg
wg-super-mario-bros-4.jpg
gfs_50499_2_1.jpg

The levels and game itself is otherwise quite thoughtfully executed and attention to detail is examplary. Edge magazine has given this game an 8 [the highest it has awarded a NSMB game] so I'm optimistic that this will be a NSMB game I might actually enjoy.

Emitan

The Wii game had platforms you controlled by tilting the controller so I'm assuming things like that are the reason.

I have 2 Wii Remotes so it's not a big deal, but still.

Lunar15

Actual gameplay quality of this game aside, the laziness is really getting to me. Nintendo has tried to justify the 3DS against the rise of smartphone gaming by saying that smartphone games lack a level of quality and polish that can only be achieved on these better systems. But I just don't see that here, and this is their new console. I get a similar feeling to that of an "angry birds" type IOS game, where each release is a barely reskinned version with new levels. Except those are free. If Nintendo wants to justify higher priced games against downloadable iphone games, they've got to eliminate the crappy shortcuts like this.

I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun, as I've enjoyed previous NSMB games. I've got no problem with the fact that they want to make these kinds of games. But the same design, music, everything is just... such a far cry from what Nintendo was in the past.

But the same design

What about the same design? The music being still bad and a lot rehashed is terrible, but I've seen some unique level design with some nice new suits.

Anyway, I know it might have been discussed before but I was surprised to learn development took 3 years from the Iwata Asks.

Lunar15

What about the same design? The music being still bad and a lot rehashed is terrible, but I've seen some unique level design with some nice new suits.

Anyway, I know it might have been discussed before but I was surprised to learn development took 3 years from the Iwata Asks.

I mean the graphics. The tile-sets, the way the world is drawn, things like that. Yeah, there are some small visual flourishes this time, but everything else looks remarkably similar to what we've received the past few times.

Drago

The Van Gogh art is great, the music however can die in a ****ing fire.

The Castle and Forest music isn't bad (would still love new music though...) but I HATE the desert, water, ghost, etc. music. I really wish they would change everything up, but I don't ever see that happening.

Top Bottom