• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Morts

I wish I could make a rad custom soundtrack for this game out of SMW/SMB3/SM64 tracks. I'd never stop playing.

TheExodu5

Banned

RagnarokX

The whole map thing that's going on with NSMB U bothers me. Like Super Mario Galaxy, it's far too spread out and sometimes changes with no gradation from one area to the next. eg from the grassy area straight into, what I'm assuming is, some desert brown-hued area. Looking at Super Mario World or even Super Mario Bros 3, you can see that the dots representing one world to the next are close together and, consequently, the map is compact which makes navigation a breeze.

images
images

cf to this -

images
images

Alternatively, I'd like to see a more tightly focused game -- like the original SMB on NES -- a NSMB with no map at all or a non-interactive map that just shows progression like SMB DX for Gameboy Color -

118925-super-mario-bros-deluxe-game-boy-color-screenshot-map-overview.jpg
wg-super-mario-bros-4.jpg
gfs_50499_2_1.jpg

The levels and game itself is otherwise quite thoughtfully executed and attention to detail is examplary. Edge magazine has given this game an 8 [the highest it has awarded a NSMB game] so I'm optimistic that this will be a NSMB game I might actually enjoy.

Every single world transition in SMW involves changing maps.

Yoshi's Island (submap)
Donut Plains (main map)
Vanilla Dome (submap)
Twin Bridges (main map)
Forest of Illusion (submap)
Chocolate Island (main map)
Valley of Bowser (submap)

Also, most of the map lacks visual distinctiveness. Chocolate Island, on the other hand, features a transition on the main map even more garishly abrupt than the one from Acorn Plains to Layer Cake Desert.

SMW also has a lower total level count compared to most of the series (about 72). Yoshi's Island only has 5 levels, Acorn Plains has 7.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
He's completely right on that point. The focus on production values is partly what's killing the industry right now.

It's still a shame Nintendo is abiding by this philosophy since they do have the bank to raise the bar.

They only abide by it for certain games. You can bet the Wii U entries of Zelda, 3D Mario, Smash Bros. and Metroid will get the full audio and visual treatment.

Ugh, Nintendo really needs to shake up the audio team for these games. Reusing so many of the exact compositions (sound samples and all) from NSMBWii for this is beyond lazy.

pakkit

Banned
Has there been any talk about DLC with this game? Considering Nintendo has released around 4 of these titles with very little diversion in music or artistic assets, I hope that they embrace DLC expansion packs instead of continuing to milk the franchise. This is 2D Mario...the whole package should be shown the same amount of care and creative enthusiasm that the flagship 3D entries get.

Fox Mulder

For Nintendo published titles, yes, same price. For third parties, I think it'll be their call. Don't forget you get 10% back in credit if you have the Deluxe model.

And I guess no sales tax too right?

straight up $60 for games plus a credit back.

SuperPac

Has there been any talk about DLC with this game? Considering Nintendo has released around 4 of these titles with very little diversion in music or artistic assets, I hope that they embrace DLC expansion packs instead of continuing to milk the franchise. This is 2D Mario...the whole package should be shown the same amount of care and creative enthusiasm that the flagship 3D entries get.

Yes there has been in the NSMBU Iwata Asks. NSMB2 also received DLC.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Question.

Do you guys think Nintendo should should make multiplayer mandatory in all 2D Mario games from now on?

I say yes.

Question.

Do you guys think Nintendo should should make multiplayer mandatory in all 2D Mario games from now on?

I say yes.
Why not?

I feel like if they do 2D Mario after this it'll be under a different brand, but people might be less interested without the 4 player action.

Velcro Fly

I really feel like I would love the NSMB series more as a whole if they all didn't share so much of the same music. I know that is like beating a dead horse at this point, but it's so disappointing to know that some music returns from previous games in the series.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I ain't gonna see that last video.

For those of you that have seen it, how does it compare to the Wii version?

Thread title should've been "New Super Mario Bros U |OT| BAHH"

(Referring to the godawful sound effect used in like every single godawful piece of NSMB music since the original NSMB on DS)

Seriously who's idea was it to make exceptionally shitty and overly recycled music one of the NSMB series' signature features?

I never pay sales tax for Live purchases, but do for iOS stuff.

If you buy gift cards for iOS or for Nintendo, you won't pay tax. Then for iOS set your location to California and you won't get taxed for purchases. For Nintendo set your location to Alaska.

Top Bottom