• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I played New Super Mario Brothers 2 in preparation for this game today...

I SUCK at it. Seriously, I was dying constantly in, like, World 3. :(

I'll never be able to do any of these challenges.

zroid

Banned
Played through the first couple worlds with a friend, and he took double duty, occasionally placing platforms. Pretty good fun, and I adore the squirrel suit. The levels haven't really blown my away so far, but it's early, and they certainly haven't been bad.

Can't wait to dig deeper.

Thank Christ. Gaf falls all over its collective self praising this game. It's easily the worst of the 3D Marios. You probably love Sunshine. I know you do, I can feel it. Brother.

Oh BS. 3D Land is fantastic, and I love Sunshine too. One of the best handheld Mario's, and a very good 3D Mario.

anyone else having issues with surround sound? I have an hdmi 1.4 receiver, but I'm not getting sound from the back speakers in this game. I ran the test from the settings menu and the receiver shut down. I dont have any other games to test on wiiu, but pc games are fine.

i am having issues too. i think there is no surround sound pumping out of this game. Assasins Creed does have glorious surround through the speakers though. Bad Nintendo.

Emitan

nice! i didnt play it a ton, but never thought to slide into the goombas in the 2nd half of the run, I always went up top with triple jumps instead.

Did you get Gold? I think sliding is faster than running. The only time I've gotten sub 30 is by using the bottom route.

Does anyone know where the secret exits are in Acorn Plains and Dessert? I know there has to be some of them because I don't have all the star coins. Its driving me crazy! Pretty sure I know where the dessert one is just by looking at the map but can't find it in that level.

Then again where the Sparkling Water secret exit leads...I would've never guessed it lol.

Well, so far, I've noticed a slight difficulty level upgrade. Still going through some stages with all 3 coins on first run through(or not taking damage). I love the comments'

Hey, Nintendo. Release more of the stuff like challenges and boos mode. I WILL BUY THEM ALL!!!

Yeah, they're addictive

hey, tell me something, do the enemies dance to the beat of the music?

that really is the worst thing about this 'new' series. the fact that i have to time jumps to some koopa dance moves. jesus.

that really is the worst thing about this 'new' series. the fact that i have to time jumps to some koopa dance moves. jesus.

Yes, they dance. I've died a couple times because of that. The clouds and Yoshis sing too...

Emitan

Does anyone know where the secret exits are in Acorn Plains and Dessert? I know there has to be some of them because I don't have all the star coins. Its driving me crazy! Pretty sure I know where the dessert one is just by looking at the map but can't find it in that level.

Then again where the Sparkling Water secret exit leads...I would've never guessed it lol.

Acorn Plains
it's in stage 1-2.

TheExodu5

Banned

This really shows how well the levels are designed in this game. This is where the DS entries just don't compare.

Also, is anyone else finding the controls and physics a lot more responsive than the other NSMB games? Maybe I'm remembering wrong...but last I played NSMB Wii it felt rather sluggish. I don't feel that at all with NSMB U.

BowieZ

Banned

Are you serious?

THE DANCING IS PART OF THE PLATFORMING CHALLENGE.

The more familiar you are with the music, the safer your platforming experience will be. It's brilliant and fun.

I swear some people are absolutely joyless.

Balb

Like this game way more than NSMB2. Liked NSMB Wii a lot more than NSMB DS too. Not sure what the deal is.

Finally a NSMB game that I really like. Seems to be a lot more varied and your typical clever Mario level design is firmly intact. I still think a more original soundtrack would have really helped things, but it's nice hearing the more old school tunes and not so much the NSMB themes apart from the fantastic castle stage themes.

So far it's about exactly how I imagined it would be after seeing it and reading impressions.

IDK if its already reported, but just a heads up: A level called Freezing Rain Tower will sometimes crash your system, giving both gamepad and tv a black screen, when you beat or quit the level. Happened to me twice when trying to get all the star coins in it. It has happened to no other levels that I've played which is every level in Acorn Plains, Cake Layer Desert, and Sparkling Waters.

Did I mention I hate bloopers? Gggrr..l

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Can you play this game with the Pro Controller? I keep trying to launch it and it disconnects my controller.

Thank Christ. Gaf falls all over its collective self praising this game. It's easily the worst of the 3D Marios. You probably love Sunshine. I know you do, I can feel it. Brother.

Yep, 3D Land was pretty bad. It felt like a 3D version of NSMB, except with atrocious controls and camera. Some of the level design was good, but that wasn't until you were 80% of your way through the secret worlds.

terrisus

Really strange that you can't play multiplayer using the WiiU pad as one of the controllers.
I mean, we have plenty of Wii controllers lying around, but just seems really strange.

Plus, I feel bad since I messed up my wife's temporary save on her file when I was trying to set it up for us to play multiplayer on it - thought I did the controller setup wrong, so exited and went back in, which of course erased the quicksave since I hadn't thought to re-create it - making her have to re-do half a world since she was right before a castle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Brought a Baby Yoshi into a stage. Found Adult Yoshi. Had Adult Yoshi eat Baby Yoshi. YOSHI WHY

One of the funniest things I have seen all year was on the QuickLook when they grab the Baby Yoshi and then start the mushroom level in world 1 and all the baby yoshi's just walk off the edge

emb

Also, is anyone else finding the controls and physics a lot more responsive than the other NSMB games? Maybe I'm remembering wrong...but last I played NSMB Wii it felt rather sluggish. I don't feel that at all with NSMB U.

I felt that way too. I couldn't convince myself if it was actually different or not. I played through the first world and it never had that whole "this just doesn't feel right" like the past three NSMB games have. Maybe it's just that I'm used to the new mechanics though. Or maybe I just noticed that spin jump was mapped to a button, and really wanted to like it more. In any case, I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

kunonabi

Just spent the last couple of hours playing co-op boost mode challenges...Some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

Jtrizzy

Lol, this game is Dolby Prologic II. Still sounds good but my god that came out 10 years ago. Makes the omission of optical even more ridiculous.

bsb

Neo Member

Yep. NSMBWii almost feels like it's in slow motion compared to this one.

Instro

Because 3D Land has imaginative level design, the part where Sunshine falls flat on its face.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Am I the only one doing the single-player and not the time trials or whatever? :p

Why in the unholy hell can I bring Baby Yoshis between levels but not regular Yoshi? The ONE thing I asked to be fixed from NSMBW...

Anyways, the world map is a whole lot bigger than I thought it'd be from screens and the GI preview. At this point I might just say it's the best world map in the series. It does everything SMW's map did, and more. And it's all connected, with various secrets you'd completely miss and not know any better if you're not combing through certain levels carefully. It's less dense in terms of alternate paths compared to SMW, but that might be a good thing because replaying a level several times to get several exits might get annoying.

Also, the Squirrel Suit is totally the SMW cape but with only one "up-boost" instead of infinite, and no quake when slamming the ground (unfortunately.) They basically took the best powerup in the series and fixed the complaints the haters have had since SMW came out. That said, it's a lot less fluid and responsive than the cape, which makes me hesitate to use it sometimes.

I wish the Miiverse website was live and I could post the screens I took. =/

Hiltz

I noticed that the Helicopter Suit power-up from New SMB Wii is in this game, but is the Penguin Suit power-up also back or is it restricted to only being used in Challenge mode ?

Top Bottom