• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Tim-E

2 really big problems I have with the game:

-It's essentially a remix of the Wii game with the exact same order of levels and worse yet the exact same music. To me this is the absolute laziest I have ever seen from Nintendo and something I used to expect from EA or Activision.

-I hate that you can't save after every level. You can only save two times per world (once after midboss and another after world boss)

You can quick save at any time from the world map. It just takes you back to the main menu, but it saves your progress regardless of where you are. I'm pretty sure every New Super Mario Bros. game has worked like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As expected, the god awful music is the most disappointing aspect of this game. They re-used most of the awful tracks from previous versions. It's almost insulting that Nintendo is getting away with this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For this reason alone, I might return my console when it arrives. I really don't want to go buy 2 Wiimotes just to play co-op (much less those controllers suck for traditional controls).

For a Nintendo system, two buttons and a D-Pad is pretty traditional.

As expected, the god awful music is the most disappointing aspect of this game. They re-used most of the awful tracks from previous versions. It's almost insulting that Nintendo is getting away with this.

what blows my mind is if your gonna just cut & paste a soundtrack from a previous Mario game why did they have to pick the worst one? Should have dropped in the music from Super mario world or SM 64 or something

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Unfortunately, no Wii U game will support the Wii classic and classic pro controllers. We're forced to buy Wii U pro classic controllers instead.

Really? The Sumo guy told me for Sonic Kart 2 you can use Classic Controllers and Classic Controller Pros if you want to.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Really? The Sumo guy told me for Sonic Kart 2 you can use Classic Controllers and Classic Controller Pros if you want to.

Yeah, you can definitely use them for some games, dunno what that guy's talking about. Nano Assault Neo is pretty explicit in its support for Wii-Remote-tethered Classic Controllers. It's just a game-by-game thing.

-It's essentially a remix of the Wii game with the exact same order of levels and worse yet the exact same music. To me this is the absolute laziest I have ever seen from Nintendo and something I used to expect from EA or Activision.

This was my fear. Couple this (the only game I'd want at the moment on the system) with all of the issues being reported on the hardware side, I'm glad I decided to hold of on getting it at launch. I will get it eventually as I have every other Nintendo system for the 1st party exclusives, but for a Mario game I was really hoping for more.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow you're right. Didn't think about that. My Wii was hooked up to my ole' SD TV. In that case how did you guys manage to play Mario Wii , DKCR, Mega Man 9/10 ect. on a slightly laggy TV (assuming your TV has some lag). Tried doing some DKCR time trails the other day on my HDTV and ending up giving up and went and plugged it into my SDTV.

Samsung TV by any chance? Make sure you're in game mode...it decreases input lag.

But yeah, some HDTVs feel kind of unplayable to me. It would be especially jarring coming from an SDTV.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
what blows my mind is if your gonna just cut & paste a soundtrack from a previous Mario game why did they have to pick the worst one? Should have dropped in the music from Super mario world or SM 64 or something
I know, right? Some nice remixes from those games would have been vastly preferable to what we got here.

This was my fear. Couple this (the only game I'd want at the moment on the system) with all of the issues being reported on the hardware side, I'm glad I decided to hold of on getting it at launch. I will get it eventually as I have every other Nintendo system for the 1st party exclusives, but for a Mario game I was really hoping for more.
Well, to be fair, I *HATED* the waggling aspects of NSMBW and, thus far, this new game doesn't seem to require it. You can still make use of it but it seems optional.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll be uploading Gold Medal runs for Challenge mode here for the heck of it.

Going to take a break for a while though after I finish uploading the dozen or so that I have.

Most 2D Mario games have unremarkable soundtracks at best. I don't know why this sub-series gets so much flak for it in particular.

Mardak

-I hate that you can't save after every level. You can only save two times per world (once after midboss and another after world boss)
This is totally a step backwards from Mario 3D Land. My wife made it through all of the 3DS Mario getting all the star coins including the special stages. Even though she has deaths in the thousands of lives, she had a (very) challenging yet fun time beating the game. With NSMBU, she loses all progress that she has made since the last fortress/boss when she runs out of lives.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
About the music - I'm playing this and hearing several tracks that aren't from NSMB Wii, like the new athletic theme (I think it's called). Some tracks are new versions of the Wii game's music, but it doesn't seem to be literally the same soundtrack.

Otherwise, good stuff so far; personally, the world themes are freshened up enough to me. I think a lot of the game seems tightened up in many subtle details compared to the other NSMB games to date. Certain things that reduced tension / challenge like stocking a backup power up during a level are gone.

I guess the issue with the save system is a matter of preference. I'm find with it since there's quick save for taking breaks. I mean, we complain the games are too easy and lives are pointless enough as it is.

Most 2D Mario games have unremarkable soundtracks at best. I don't know why this sub-series gets so much flak for it in particular.

I always felt the music here was almost on the same level as other 2D Marios outside of the noticeably low sound quality and a select few tracks from the first DS entry in particular that were just plain weak, I think the main ire is just that people really hate the Bah sound, not sure whether they hate it in concept (nothing wrong with dancing enemies surely) or because the particular sound bite used for it is like the benchmark of low quality sfx in the NSMB games.
Underwater stages would use a different effect to make the cheep cheep twirl, they should have had a unique sound effect for each stage type, nothing screams out of place like BAH in the castle back in NSMB2.

Basically I'm saying this soundtrack could work fine if it were suitably spruced up, NSMB2 did this for the title theme and credits at least and it made a world of difference for the sound quality in my books.

Still utterly disappointed that they reused so much music though, I was so sure they wouldn't possibly be that cheap...
I'm also still assuming the various reused stage themes outside of the new overworld and athletic themes are just temporary placeholders for the demo builds, if i'm wrong then may I be cast into a pit of BAH BAH.
Welp, I was wrong, cast me off into the pit of eternal BAH.

Karish

Do we have confirmation that if I have ONE Wiimote and ONE gamepad, that the only co-op play I can do is one of us is Mario and the other one is block placing? Or can you play true co-op with only one wiimote and the gamepad?

This is totally a step backwards from Mario 3D Land. My wife made it through all of the 3DS Mario getting all the star coins including the special stages. Even though she has deaths in the thousands of lives, she had a (very) challenging yet fun time beating the game. With NSMBU, she loses all progress that she has made since the last fortress/boss when she runs out of lives.

Mario 3D Land is God tier compared to this NSMBU crap. That game was original this is the worst rehash in Nintendo history.

Do we have confirmation that if I have ONE Wiimote and ONE gamepad, that the only co-op play I can do is one of us is Mario and the other one is block placing? Or can you play true co-op with only one wiimote and the gamepad?
That is correct. Only way to 2player coop Mario and Luigi is to use two wiimotes, no gamepad/pro controller.

bryehn

Started playing on the pad and liked it. Tried it out on TV this morning and was wondering...can I have the game NOT display on the pad while playing on TV? Frankly it's distracting and I may as well just play it on the pad if I can't.

Also, lack of Pro Controller support is frankly dumb and a pointless omission.

braves01

Banned
Mario 3D Land is God tier compared to this NSMBU crap. That game was original this is the worst rehash in Nintendo history.

Tell me how you really feel. ;)

Seriously though I think 3D Land is a bastardized mishmash of 2D and 3D Mario concepts that fails to capitalize on strengths either has to offer. Still a good game, but towards the bottom of the Mario canon IMO.

Being a copy-paste isn't a huge issue for me, since NSMBWii was one of my favorite games of this generation.

But still, I really wish they had made a true follow-up to the Mario series and not just a follow-up to the New series. As long as the actual quality stays as good as it has I'll keep buying but I do really want something new...

Shady859

Samsung TV by any chance? Make sure you're in game mode...it decreases input lag.

But yeah, some HDTVs feel kind of unplayable to me. It would be especially jarring coming from an SDTV.

I have a 52" Samsung and I never once tried game mode.. Lol guess I need to try that on CoD had same TV since Black Ops 1

Videos of this game looks fun! I've been playing DKCR on Wii to scratch that itch though! :)

Vanille

About the music - I'm playing this and hearing several tracks that aren't from NSMB Wii, like the new athletic theme (I think it's called). Some tracks are new versions of the Wii game's music, but it doesn't seem to be literally the same soundtrack.

No, it literally is the same tracks.

JaseMath

Other than the music and treading into pretty familiar territory, how are you guys enjoying it? Everyone here seems to be complaining... :(

Other than the music and treading into pretty familiar territory, how are you guys enjoying it? Everyone here seems to be complaining... :(
I wasn't a big fan of the new series, but the dlc for nsmb2 got me hooked, and now nsmbu is scratching the itch for me. The levels are harder and feel longer. Love the HD 2D graphics. Challenge mode is a blast same with catching Nabbit on select levels. Personally I'm loving the game. Can't wait to jump back in. It feels like Super Mario World and I couldn't be happier.

prwxv3

I am enjoying it the only problems I have is the awful cut and paste music and the jaggies. Playing on the gamepad is reduces them at the cost of some color though.

I don't there is a way to disable the gamepad screen.

If you're playing single player with a wii-mote, then yes, you can turn off the gamepad screen by pressing the home button and going into controller settings in the top left. There you have an option to turn off the gamepad screen until its used again.
If you're playing with the gamepad, then unfortunately there isn't any way to turn off the pad... at least not that I know of.

Jtrizzy

anyone else having issues with surround sound? I have an hdmi 1.4 receiver, but I'm not getting sound from the back speakers in this game. I ran the test from the settings menu and the receiver shut down. I dont have any other games to test on wiiu, but pc games are fine.

n-off

2 really big problems I have with the game:

pretty sure you unlock the real save option by playing through for the first time. like in all the other nsmbs.
that's why you should get the star coins later.

Drago

Is there any way to regenerate the baby Yoshis on the map? Or is it, lose them once and they're gone forever?

Stylo

I think I've had it wrong the whole time. I've hated the NEW series since it came out and have always found the single-player aspect boring, but ever since I've treated it as a multiplayer game, it became fun. It's a neat game to add to the Smash-Mario Kart-etc. group.

Chris R

Why did they not get rid of the pausing when people pick stuff up/die? Good thing my friend is picking this up (with a WiiU) so I don't have to think about buying a WiiU until another game worth picking up is out!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Tell me how you really feel. ;)

Seriously though I think 3D Land is a bastardized mishmash of 2D and 3D Mario concepts that fails to capitalize on strengths either has to offer. Still a good game, but towards the bottom of the Mario canon IMO.

Thank Christ. Gaf falls all over its collective self praising this game. It's easily the worst of the 3D Marios. You probably love Sunshine. I know you do, I can feel it. Brother.

Top Bottom