• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Kyou

got golds on all the speed runs through Mini Mountaineering(the last one)

jesus fuck mini mountaineering christ

oatmeal

Banned
One thing I liked about SMW was exploring the world map.

This is pretty linear (yah it branches a couple of times)...but in SMW you had to go up the mountain in the west side to hit the ORANGE switch and then later on find the secret exit in the underground level to get the RED switch...etc. etc.

I miss that stuff.

But on the flip side, this games IQ is clean as anything I've seen this gen. Looks great.

Just beat it, really enjoyed some of the later dungeons and bosses. Way better than NSMB2, but if this the last NSMB game, I'm totally okay with that.

totowhoa

Banned
Man I still think its a little silly not being able to use the gamepad for MP... But it's really nice being the one with the pad in your lap when playing 2P. I've been surprised by how much fun the block mechanic is actually, but I've only used it while concurrently playing as Mario with one other person.

Waiting for somebody at the top of the screen on a vertical scrolling castle level and sticking a block right above your friends head as they're trying to work their way up... just to make them bounce off it and fall to their death... So much fun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GOTTA GO FAST!

gottagofast.jpg

Can't believe people are saying that the music in classic 2D Mario games wasn't that great. They are some of the most beloved gaming tracks of all time! For example, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFtW92WUaI

NSMB's castle theme is pretty much a shallow reworking of 3's. I mean, these NSMBU tracks aren't bad, and I admit to humming them, but I agree with the others here: to copy and paste an entire soundtrack is shameful. Is Koji Kondo still around? I wonder what he's saying. He came up with a completely original soundtrack for each game!

matthwq

Banned
Asked in Miiverse, but I'll ask here too:

In Yoshi Hill, the first world, how do you get to that weird ledge above everything near the end? The one with a bunch of Yoshi fruit on it? I know it probably leads to nowhere, but I MUST GET TO IT!!!

(Side note: Wasn't a huge huge fan of this the first half hour I played a few days ago, but I'm beginning to really enjoy it.)

Anth0ny

that challenge where you have the squirrel suit and you have to collect every coin AND kill every enemy on the way down is so fucking hard

i hate how that suit controls in the air >_>

a ranking these challenges require meat boy-like precision

never thought i'd say that about a nsmb game

Well I got all the star coins in the 94 levels and 100%ed it. Very awesome game, but to be honest Nintendo really needs a actual new 2D Mario game. It felt so much like the previous NSMB games that I would probably only rank it above NSMBDS.

Played only on the gamepad, the graphics are so good on it. I hope most games support off tv play. Took me 13:16 to 100% it, compared to 9:46 on NSMB2 so it is quite a bit longer.

Played abit of the challenge and boost rush mode and they are really great. I hope we get more challenges via DLC. I know NSMBU has DLC but it may only be for Boost Rush mode for all we know. While Boost Rush mode is great, I like challenges alot more.

I'd say it has the hardest final boss in any Mario game ever. I still like NSMBW final boss more, but so glad they changed it up and actually included different music for it unlike NSMB2. The last levels are also the hardest levels in the NSMB series imo.

Look forward to the rest of Challenge and Boost Rush mode and for any new DLC.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Can't find the hidden level in the first world. =/

Thanks to Schuelma for pointing out the level that led to the secret in Layer Cake! I totally missed it and thought I had gotten all the coins in that world (hadn't yet gotten
the message that pops up when you get all the coins in a world.
)

Err..that wasn't me!

One thing I liked about SMW was exploring the world map.

This is pretty linear (yah it branches a couple of times)...but in SMW you had to go up the mountain in the west side to hit the ORANGE switch and then later on find the secret exit in the underground level to get the RED switch...etc. etc.

I miss that stuff.

But on the flip side, this games IQ is clean as anything I've seen this gen. Looks great.
Cleaner than anything you've seen this gen? Cause this gen wasn't that clean imo. But yeah. Looks really clean.

that challenge where you have the squirrel suit and you have to collect every coin AND kill every enemy on the way down is so fucking hard

i hate how that suit controls in the air >_>

a ranking these challenges require meat boy-like precision

never thought i'd say that about a nsmb game

I've gotten gold on five or six challenges from each category so far, and some of them definitely reminded me of "What NSMB Could Learn From Super Meat Boy". They're the highlight of the game so far, would definitely pick up some more from the eShop.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, these graphics certainly are better than Wii, but I still think they could have done a lot better. Ghost House in
Ice World is the worst Ghost level of all time. All time.

I like Emolga Mario, think it's better than Raccoon Mario. Still not sure how I rank this with NSMB Wii yet, I think I like this one a tad more.

Either way, Cake Dessert is pretty lazy I think.

Played 1P up to about level 3 in Layer Layer Desert, but I've been having a good time so far :) I haven't found any secret exits yet though, and the game definitely starts off harder than NSMBWii does.

The Flying Squirrel suit is fun, but it has really high horizontal speed and somewhat crappy turning :X It also doesn't seem to slow my descent that much either, the increase in distance covered seems mostly due to the horizontal speed. It also doesn't offer any new attacks or changes to attacks like the Feather or the Propeller Cap do (or at least I haven't found such differences yet).

Does anyone know how fast the glide is compared to just running on the ground? I thought the two would be nearly comparable speed wise but I haven't actually tested that yet.

BowieZ

Banned
Haven't enjoyed Ghost Houses since SMW.
Yeah secret exits can involve sneaky twists but I think the core levels could be a bit more straight forward PLATFORMING and avoiding ghosts and shark-like pianos and whatnot...

Edit err auto correct changed platforming into all caps lol!?

Yeah secret exits can involve sneaky twists but I think the core levels could be a bit more straight forward PLATFORMING and avoiding ghosts and shark-like pianos and whatnot...

Edit err auto correct changed platforming into all caps lol!?

I just don't want to be hounded by shadowy Mario on a level with a bunch of unkillable enemies.

Wow, just finished the final boss/level and... (End game spoilers)
I love the Star road unlock already and I can only play one of the levels so far. It's awesome that you can unlock the Propeller Suit and Penguin suit, it'll be fun to mess around with those. Also, Star Road has made me realize how many secret levels and Star Coins I missed while I was just casually playing through to the end. It'll be loads of fun trying to find these secrets (by myself, it's always awesome when you finally figure out where a secret exit is on your own).

Appleman

Been trying to play on the gamepad only, but can't get over the pixelization/artifacting that appears most noticeably on red colours like Mario's hat. Always seems to catch my attention, which is bizarre because the rest of the image looks pretty great

I'm surprised by how few secret levels there are, I think they did a pretty poor job of inner connecting the worlds, really if you break it down it's pretty much the same way NSMB DS did it's world struction 1->2->3/4->5 etc. Replace warp cannons with secret exits and it does pretty much the same thing. I like the idea but it wasn't as well implemented as SMW.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm surprised by how few secret levels there are, I think they did a pretty poor job of inner connecting the worlds, really if you break it down it's pretty much the same way NSMB DS did it's world struction 1->2->3/4->5 etc. Replace warp cannons with secret exits and it does pretty much the same thing. I like the idea but it wasn't as well implemented as SMW.
Without spoiling, are you sure there's as few secret exits/levels as you've found? Or are you referring to an official list of some sort?

Also, might there be more exits than there are levels?

Can't believe people are saying that the music in classic 2D Mario games wasn't that great. They are some of the most beloved gaming tracks of all time! For example, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFtW92WUaI

NSMB's castle theme is pretty much a shallow reworking of 3's. I mean, these NSMBU tracks aren't bad, and I admit to humming them, but I agree with the others here: to copy and paste an entire soundtrack is shameful. Is Koji Kondo still around? I wonder what he's saying. He came up with a completely original soundtrack for each game!

It's quite shocking that they've got away with repeating the same soundtrack for three more games. Why the hell they're not making use of their talented musicians I'll never know.

I doubt the NSMB games would draw half as much ire from gamers if they bothered to put any effort into the soundtracks.

It's unnacceptable; especially when you're paying full price. Nintendo's sound department must be under the impression that the NSMB games are cheap mobile apps.

A question for the people who've really cleaned out the game,
is there a second, harder or more complicated version of the final bossfight, like in Super Mario 3D Land? Because I watched a video of the normal final boss, and other than the extra Bowser Jr. mechanic, it looked really short and kind of like something was missing.

Top Bottom