• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

TheExodu5

Banned
I've only played 3 levels so far. All I can say is that these 3 levels leave a far better impression than the first 3 levels of NSMB2. At a glance they might look similar, but the levels just play/flow so much better here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The
secret path from Frosted Glacier to Rock-Candy Mines
is AMAZING. This is EXACTLY what I've wanted from a 3D Mario game for the past 20 years and I didn't even realize it.

I'm liking this game more than NSMBW and I haven't even played multiplayer yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't remember 2 having anything like World 9, just some lame coin rush mode to try and extend things. I give the edge to Wii even without multiplayer.

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody get to play the boost mode challenges? I played a few with my friend and they are pretty awesome. Only one we didn't really like was the collect 100 coins with the fuzzys.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NSMB2 has a Star World (W9).

It does? I barely remember anything about that game, it was just so uninteresting (and short.)

I don't own the game, but I love how some of the worlds have a "food" twist. I always thought food was a cool theme (along with music as a theme).

Always loved SMW for that too. Choco Island, Donut Plains, Soda Lake...

The levels in u seem larger than in 2 or Wii. I've already had the 99 on the timer music speed up happen in two levels, and I've only completed the first world.

Chairhome

So, on the second stage of the first world, my daughter was adding blocks and she made a Moon block appear. It was near the bottom of a pit, so i butt stomped it and the moon fell out the bottom. I looked it up and was this a "3up moon"? We couldn't get it to come back in the same spot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The levels in u seem larger than in 2 or Wii. I've already had the 99 on the timer music speed up happen in two levels, and I've only completed the first world.

I noticed that too. Definitely longer on average (also seemingly riffing on World, which had long levels.)

guek

Banned
This game is awesome so far. And gorgeous to boot. I'd seen demos of it in person before but something about having it in my own house makes me appreciate it more :)

Does the map have more secret paths/exits than what it initially lets on? I've only played the first two levels.

so uh...how do i post to miiverse within this game?

I think it will only ask you if you keep dying in the same spot. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you post like normal by suspending and opening Miiverse yourself. Not 100% sure though.

Velcro Fly

NSMB2 got the B team and it shows. It is a fun game but I feel like the console versions are always going to get more polish and better ideas thrown on them instead of the handheld games.

guek

Banned
Just got done with lemmy koopa. Died like 5 times trying to get all gold coins in the castle >_<

Only just got done with the first world and I'm already pretty impressed. I'm just havin fun playin my bed with the pad. It's great. And for people who say this game isn't a visual marvel...*sigh* I don't know. I think it looks fantastic. Could it be a bit more psychadelic as in the days of old? Of course. But as is, I find the jump in visuals incredibly pleasing. It's just...nice.

totowhoa

Banned
Are we able to flag miiverse comments in Mario as spoilers? I haven't messed around with miiverse much at all yet, but when scrolling across the world map I saw somebody sort of spoil how to get a secret exit in a level with a comment. Tried clicking on it on the game pad but nothing seemed to happen so I couldn't flag it. I doubt I'll remember what level it was by the time I get there, but still....

Anyway, three levels in and enjoying it fine so far. Nice to see Mario in HD even if it's not 3D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The last part of the "Nonstop Flight" challenge level has me stumped. I barely miss the flagpole no matter what. Do you have to bounce off the stuff being thrown at you from above? Haven't tried that yet. EDIT: Doesn't look like that's possible...

Also, do you unlock more Challenge Mode levels by playing through Story Mode by any chance? I'm holding off on the main quest because I want to do a blind run with a few friends over Christmas break.

CrisKre

The last part of the "Nonstop Flight" challenge level has me stumped. I barely miss the flagpole no matter what. Do you have to bounce off the stuff being thrown at you from above? Haven't tried that yet. EDIT: Doesn't look like that's possible...

Also, do you unlock more Challenge Mode levels by playing through Story Mode by any chance? I'm holding off on the main quest because I want to do a blind run with a few friends over Christmas break.
Did you try pressing R while in the air?

Sixfortyfive

Did you try pressing R while in the air?
I should probably read the manuals for these things after all. Reminds me that we played through NSMBW multiplayer almost 75% of the way through before we figured out we could activate the bubble manually.

Thanks, lol.

Only played through the first world so far, but it's been a great ride up to this point. Surprisingly, my favorite levels so far at the challenge/boost rush levels with one other person doing the gamepad. Things can get intense quickly in those modes and it's' an awesome feeling running and jumping fullspeed through a level with tiny platforms while also relying on a friend to have your pack and create more platforms with the pad. I can't wait to unlock some more of the Boost mode level packs.

sphinx

the piano man
.03 here. That time is a crazy tight window. You gotta be perfect.

damn, reminds me of the time trials in donkey kong country returns..

now the OCD in me that needs 100% in every game is urging me to stay the **** away of this game...

Sixfortyfive

So, you like it? :p
It's a roughly appropriate level of frustrating.

Didn't expect to be asked to juggle two different control schemes simultaneously. I can't get a good feel for it by tapping the gamepad while I look at the TV, so I'm just holding the remote and a stylus at the same time and playing completely from the gamepad.

TheExodu5

Banned
That extra bit of lag you get when playing on HD TVs. I'm no frame counter so I don't have hard numbers but the lag is certainly there.

Depends entirely on the display. I've seen anywhere from roughly 0ms, to nearly 250ms.

So uhh. How is everyone dealing with that HD lag tax? Kind of surprised no one is talking about it.

Why would it be any different from the Wii U? If someone upgraded from an SDTV to an HDTV, then sure...but upgrading from a Wii to a Wii U doesn't impose any additional lag.

No GamePad or Pro controller support for multiplayer character control.

Fuck off Nintendo.

For this reason alone, I might return my console when it arrives. I really don't want to go buy 2 Wiimotes just to play co-op (much less those controllers suck for traditional controls).

2 really big problems I have with the game:

-It's essentially a remix of the Wii game with the exact same order of levels and worse yet the exact same music. To me this is the absolute laziest I have ever seen from Nintendo and something I used to expect from EA or Activision.

-I hate that you can't save after every level. You can only save two times per world (once after midboss and another after world boss)

Dr.Hadji

Why would it be any different from the Wii U? If someone upgraded from an SDTV to an HDTV, then sure...but upgrading from a Wii to a Wii U doesn't impose any additional lag.

Wow you're right. Didn't think about that. My Wii was hooked up to my ole' SD TV. In that case how did you guys manage to play Mario Wii , DKCR, Mega Man 9/10 ect. on a slightly laggy TV (assuming your TV has some lag). Tried doing some DKCR time trails the other day on my HDTV and ending up giving up and went and plugged it into my SDTV.

Top Bottom