• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Madao

heh, i blazed though the game and beat it during the day (around 7 hours). the challenge was there but the last world felt somewhat easy.

now to find all the secret exits and coins. i think i'll beat paper mario before i dive into that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You have to lay them manually with the touchpad while controlling Mario with the remote. Pretty sure this is intended to be a 2-player mode, but I'm doing it solo.

How do you do this, do you have three hands?

How do you do this, do you have three hands?

Probably something like this:

photo11.jpg

Comes from the NSMBU Iwata Asks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How do you do this
Poorly!

I just hold the remote and stylus (left handed) at the same time. It's not super comfortable and I tend to slip and mis-tap a lot, especially when I start to get sweaty palms, but it's serviceable.

I read that Iwata Asks interview where the team said some programmer managed to do all of these solo, so I thought:

challengemario.png

But it's getting to the point where every time I clear one of these stages only to unlock another stage with a higher difficulty rating... I'm just...

fuckeverything.gif

Lol, this game is Dolby Prologic II. Still sounds good but my god that came out 10 years ago. Makes the omission of optical even more ridiculous.

WTF? This game doesn't even use Dolby Digital sound?

Hell, the system has HDMI, it can just do LPCM and avoid Dolby's licensing fees!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Finished off what Challenges are available to me. Apparently you unlock more via Story Mode.

Hmm, I feel like they could probably make it all work on the gamepad making better use of the shoulder buttons and dpad. That's what they did with Kid Icarus and the 3DS.
That control scheme blows for lefties.

Can vanilla wiimotes (non motion plus) be used for 4 player?
Yeah, any remote should be fine.

I am fighting the urge to buy a Wii U just for this game. Nothing else announced for this system interests me at this time. Did anyone who shares these feelings buy a Wii U just for this game? What are your feelings towards this investment after playing it?

So I got this with my Wii U on Sunday. My impressions....

-Regular "campaign" is harder and longer than any of the other New Mario games (I know, thats what she said...)

-Challenge mode is way more... challenging.... than I was expecting

-Game looks great

-All the levels seem to be more alive than previous games

My favorite 2D mario since Mario World on the SNES.

Can't recommend it enough to anyone who likes 2D mario games.

I love the actual game, but I still can't believe the music is for the most part exactly the same, and completely recycled. It really makes me angry when I'm playing the game, putting a damper on my enjoyment. It's so lazy.

Reclaimer

WTF? This game doesn't even use Dolby Digital sound?

Hell, the system has HDMI, it can just do LPCM and avoid Dolby's licensing fees!

Wait, so really no 5.1 sound here? On Nintendo's flagship launch title?

I thought something might be up with my receiver when I didn't hear anything coming from my surrounds. But then ZombiU worked fine...

Really Nintendo, you skimp on Mario!?!? No huge loss, but disappointing how lacking the audio presentation is as a whole. Still a lot of fun though!

Fox Mulder

The game looks great, but I've only played the original DS release of NSMB years ago, so the music and art style aren't ran into the ground to me.

Mario is floaty as shit though, and his running animation is kind of annoying.

JazzmanZ

So i've beaten the game already, obviously did not 100% this.

I gotta say its better than NSMBWii, the boss fights are harder, some of the levels are cruel and while the music is mostly recycled I do like the chorus music thats included when you pick up a baby yoshi.

Emitan

Wait, so really no 5.1 sound here? On Nintendo's flagship launch title?

I thought something might be up with my receiver when I didn't hear anything coming from my surrounds. But then ZombiU worked fine...

Really Nintendo, you skimp on Mario!?!? No huge loss, but disappointing how lacking the audio presentation is as a whole. Still a lot of fun though!

Do you really want to hear more of this awful soundtrack?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lol, this game is Dolby Prologic II. Still sounds good but my god that came out 10 years ago. Makes the omission of optical even more ridiculous.
I'm sure you've already done so, but you DID confirm that your Wii U was running in surround, right? The system defaults to stereo regardless of settings and requires you to manually switch to surround mode.

Still, even if it is DPL2, it's not as if the actual audio used in the game would benefit in any significant way. Hell, I've been playing the game with an alternate soundtrack instead. The music is just that bad.

Reclaimer

Do you really want to hear more of this awful soundtrack?

Hah! No.

But I would appreciate some ambient sounds (lava burbling, wind rushing, etc) in my surrounds. Instead this is basically stereo.

Is there a way to mute the music and play your own soundtrack?

Completed through Layer Cake Desert, Star Coins and all. From what I've seen though, there's
a secret exit
in this world. Is this true?

Anyway, this game is already a ton of fun. Level design and difficulty is great. Challenges have been a nice surprise as well.

Emitan

Completed through Layer Cake Desert, Star Coins and all. From what I've seen though, there's
a secret exit
in this world. Is this true?

Anyway, this game is already a ton of fun. Level design and difficulty is great. Challenges have been a nice surprise as well.

I just found it.

I would say its identical just with higher res graphics

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the NSMB series and it does feel the same. Typical new stuff and for me it is worth the purchase but I could see where others could want more. Even the music doesn't bother me. But I would kill for some new stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't find the hidden level in the first world. =/

Thanks to Schuelma for pointing out the level that led to the secret in Layer Cake! I totally missed it and thought I had gotten all the coins in that world (hadn't yet gotten
the message that pops up when you get all the coins in a world.
)

Can't find the hidden level in the first world. =/

Thanks to Schuelma for pointing out the level that led to the secret in Layer Cake! I totally missed it and thought I had gotten all the coins in that world (hadn't yet gotten
the message that pops up when you get all the coins in a world.
)

Hmm...I didn't get that message and I'm pretty sure I found all of the coins in Acorn Plains and Layer Cake Desert. I'm not sure what I missed...are there secret exits in later worlds that will unlock levels in those first two worlds?

Also, as a hint for the first secret exit, think
classic Mario secrets.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm...I didn't get that message and I'm pretty sure I found all of the coins in Acorn Plains and Layer Cake Desert. I'm not sure what I missed...are there secret exits in later worlds that will unlock levels in those first two worlds?

Nope. In Layer Cake Desert and Frosted Glacier, both worlds where I got the message, there are
total Star Coins. I suspect Acorn Plains only has

Top Bottom