• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Been listening to that SMB2 one on loop 3 times

Still dislike that fake-ass Caribbean theme they went with in Mario World. Castle > Athletic >>>>>>>>> the other SMW tracks.

Hmm I always thought the main theme sonded exactly what yoshi/dinosaur island music in a mario universe would sound like. Those two songs are amazing though. And SMB2 theme is my favorite (2D) Mario song ever.

Neiteio

So what songs do they recycle in this game? I know the main theme and all the permutations of it are new. But what do they recycle? The castle theme?

Drago

So what songs do they recycle in this game? I know the main theme and all the permutations of it are new. But what do they recycle? The castle theme?
Desert, Underground, Beach, Water, Forest, Ghost, Airship, mini-Castle, Castle... pretty much every song that isn't the main theme, athletic theme, and snow theme. Very disappointing.

braves01

Banned
Finally got to put in some time with this today, and it's awesome. Challenges need to be in every Mario game from here on out. I wish there was a reason to collect coins though, even if was a mediocre one like in NSMB 2.

Hero

This is going to sound really fucking dumb, but how do I play a game on the gamepad while watching tv?

Leave your TV's input on whatever input it needs for your television/cable/satellite and pick up the Wii U controller, power it and the console on and start playing NSMB U. The title is streamed to the TV and Game Pad by default.

I just beat the game and did all the first star road segment from Acorn Plains after getting all the star coins there.

Overall I can't say I'm overly impressed with it. There was nothing particularly wrong with it but I just didn't find the level design that inspiring. That bone rollercoaster in the first Star Road was probably one of the cooler levels but even that was just a variation on a concept they have been doing forever. This franchise really needs to be shaken up. It needs new mechanics. It needs a new look.

I have high hopes for Rayman though since Rayman Origins was one of the best platformers I've ever played. It is kind of sad how much Nintendo has fallen from graces though. They used to be the king of innovation and in this genre in particular. But recent years have brought us Braid, Limbo, Trine, Rayman Origins, Super Meat Boy, and others. All games that are far more creative and innovative in the platform space than anything Nintendo has done with the "New" series. Nintendo doesn't even seem interested in trying out new mechanics and gameplay styles in their 2D plaformers. It really bums me out.

This may indeed be the best of the "New" games but it can't hold a candle to any of the classic games in the series in my opinion. Here is hoping that new Yoshi game is a take off of Yoshi's Island. Overall I'm left with a bit of buyer's remorse. I probably should have bought ZombiU rather than this for my launch game.

Seik

Banned
Unwrapped my copy today with a friend for some sweet 2D multiplayer action.

Then we realized after trying that you can only use two Wiimotes for multi, can't combine Wiimote+Gamepad since it can only just make blocks appear during gameplay.

We were kinda pissed.

Since I only had 2 rechargeable batteries available, we tried it anyway with me creating blocks and interacting with the environments, it was actually pretty damn fun. Plus there are some star coins that are really hard to take without it.

We played from the beginning all the way to World 3-1. It was great, the rehashed music felt lame at first but now it's still stuck in my head. The baby Yoshis are awesome and I love how they add their little touch to the music. The game is full of little winks that makes me smile. Good stuff. :)

jwhit28

The soundtrack is easily the worst part, but the actual gameplay, power-ups, and level design are the best since Super Mario Land 2 (unless you count Yoshi's Island).

Kokonoe

Banned
I just beat a level with both Baby Yoshi and Yoshi. Yoshi can put Baby Yoshi in it's mouth, then you may carry it to the end and you still get to keep Baby Yoshi.

1WdLR.png

Fabrik

Banned
The soundtrack is easily the worst part, but the actual gameplay, power-ups, and level design are the best since Super Mario Land 2 (unless you count Yoshi's Island).

So it sucks? lol
SML2 is far from a good reference IMO.
But to each his own.

1WdLR.png
[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous screen. So clean, so clear.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Koji Kondo frankly needs to do a better job at keeping his composers team up to his standards.

It seems like they have all forgotten that early Mario soundtracks were heavily influenced by Jazz, Funk and Pop & Rock and they're going with dull plink plonk soundtracks. I mean, there is a reason why earlier Mario songs were so catchy, listen to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7RB2a_SHQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeS5lCrD6tQ&feature=fvwrel

Paper Mario: Sticker Star was amazing. Jazz everywhere. Great soundtrack.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
NWR's review is up

even though they're embedded, their reviews aren't that biased. I honestly cannot wait another sodding ten days

TheExodu5

Banned
Been having fun with it so far, but I played one level last night that was a real stinker. World 3...level 3 or 4? The one with all the flying fish. One of the jumps you have to make with Yoshi to get the 3rd coin...you need to commit to it and it's luck whether or not a fish comes flying at you. Poor design there.

I should mention that I don't think SMW has bad music at all, I just think that NSMB Wii at least isn't that far behind the old classics aside from its actual sound quality.
It's like the whole Sonic 4 thing, the themes there aren't actually that bad half the time, they just used a pretty awful set of sounds that makes them sound a lot worse than they actually are.
Actually speaking of that hedgehog, Sega did what Nintendon't.
Underwater NSMB DS
NSMB Wii Snow Overworld
NSMB DS Athletic
NSMB Wii Beach Overworld (actually I think I prefer the original here)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So I have a theory. The bland music in NSMBU is not a bug, it's a feature! Its bland and unimportant enough to encourage you to use off-TV play and mute the sound while you watch a show or listen to a podcast.

Both first party games show off the main features of the console. NintendoLand shows off the marriage between TV and pad. Mario shows off off-TV play by having bland game audio.

:p

Socreges

Banned
If this was from 1992 it would be considered by now a classic. Just like the NSMB main theme etc.

Time.
Oh, quiet. It's not just about time. Most NSMB music is trash and full of "Bahs", not to mention that the good stuff is reused to the point where it's hard to appreciate instead of condemn.

I think this World 8 track from New SMB Wii is included in New SMBU. 20 -30 seconds in is my favorite part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL20wpDbXGE&feature=related
Yeah, and this track does often get mentioned for being quite good (apart from the bahs).

Just finished grabbing all of the Star Coins!
Got to Superstar Road! Finished level 1 and 2 of it so far. Loving the subtle ramp up in difficulty here.

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the overall difficulty. Simply clearing the various levels is, for the most part, a little on the easy side. Finding those Star Coins and secret exits is where the real challenge (and fun!) lies.

I can definitely see myself going back to this for more co-op and the challenges, so I'm glad I went digital. This way, I'll always have NSMBU at the ready.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
When are we getting rid of lives? I'm on the 4th world and already have 99. It's just silly at this point.

To be fair, lives matter a lot more in the intentional clusterfuck of NSMB 4 player multiplayer. Where people can be dying left and right.

I recall playing through courses in NSMB Wii multi, and sometimes the group had trouble keeping enough lives for everyone to be active by the end of a course. This was not a bad thing, mind you.

I don't think 1-ups are pointless, they just need to get more creative with what they signify. The 1-up is too integral to the Mario memetic. I think NSMB U is a start, with higher difficulty later in and putting the player in danger due to save points only being mid-world. (Ironic, some complain about the saving system, but it does make one think about how many lives you're wasting flinging yourself against a stage.)

Anth0ny

I don't understand Koji Kondo's role right now at Nintendo. Is he retired? Working as a mentor to the younger guys? He hasn't fully scored any games since Gamecube gen. Or N64 gen maybe?

I wish they got him working on a full soundtrack rather than just random tracks here and there. The two songs that really stood out for me in Mario Galaxy were Comet Observatory and Good Egg Galaxy... which are two of the handful of songs Kondo actually composed for the game (the other 100+ tracks being handled by Mahito Yokota).

jman2050

I don't find the NSMB music abysmal, but it is pretty bland and doesn't enhance the experience at all. And while I may be privy to point out that old Mario games don't look nearly as good as you remember, I'm all for saying that the music was always excellent from the start. A shame the NSMB series can't follow in this regard.

Drago

The only NSMB song that I really like is the Forest theme. I just love the melody and the instruments fit, I think. So joyful :3

The rest of the soundtrack... I think it ranges from good to really bad. I don't really think it's the melodies as much as it is the presentation. The orchestra medley sounds really good for example, imo. (dat orchestrated castle!)

The fact that they constantly reuse the same songs is sickening, though. The next NSMB beter have a 100% new soundtrack, but it would not surprise me whatsoever if they STILL kept using the same music.

Top Bottom