• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Boogiepop

Just beat it. Did it surprisingly fast too, as I found a secret exit
in the forest ghost house which shot me ahead into the cloud world, and then again in that world's ghost house, which got me to the end of that world super quick.
Wasn't even trying to, heh.

Anyway, overall fun, though (perhaps because it hasn't been long at all since NSMB2), things did feel a tad more stale than they should have. However, squirrel suit is awesome. Just gliding and boosting through levels like crazy with it feels great, and it doesn't feel quite as broken as the tanooki tail or the cape. Oh, and they really, really need to get rid of the exploitable little "hit them right as they come out of their shell" thing that the Koopa kids all have. I know I just shouldn't exploit it, but I can't help it, and it kind of ruins those boss battles completely.

Mainly though, this series just needs to mix up the level/world themes. It would make SUCH a world of difference to have something other than plains, desert, beach, etc. Even if it would be just an aesthetic change. I mean, I was hyped
jumping into the cloud that's surrounded Peach's castle, only to find that it was just the same old lava world finale with meteors and whatnot. Though it did have a neat map theme at least.

I think the last Kondo soundtrack was...OoT? It's been awhile. I guess he figured he's got enough goodwill he can only do one or two songs a year and get away with it.

jarosh

Not following the thread, just one quick question:

Can you not play 2 player co-op with just the gamepad and a single additional Wii remote? Is the player with the gamepad restricted to being a helper, placing blocks etc.?

The only NSMB song that I really like is the Forest theme. I just love the melody and the instruments fit, I think. So joyful :3

The rest of the soundtrack... I think it ranges from good to really bad. I don't really think it's the melodies as much as it is the presentation. The orchestra medley sounds really good for example, imo. (dat orchestrated castle!)

The fact that they constantly reuse the same songs is sickening, though. The next NSMB beter have a 100% new soundtrack, but it would not surprise me whatsoever if they STILL kept using the same music.

Woah sounds like Danny Elfman score

jarosh

Crazy. Has there been any explanation as to why that is the case? Seems like a bizarre omission. It's a controller. It can be used to play the game in single player. If you've never owned a Wii, you essentially have to own 3 controllers, buy 2 additional Wii remotes, just to play with ONE friend. That makes no sense.

How is it even possible to die using the mega mushroom?

Bringing it into a stage not well equipped for it, like that world 6 jungle stage in the DS game, you can use the mega mushroom to bypass the underground areas by kicking through the pipes but you can also completely screw yourself over as well and end up falling into the purple death water if memory serves, at least i'm sure I tired that once.
Probably the reason why it only appears like 3 times in NSMB2 and is no longer obtainable from Mushroom Houses.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Mega Mushroom is definitely my pick for worst power-up ever. I think I used it once in the first level of NSMB, then never again except against the final boss for the comedy option.

Crazy. Has there been any explanation as to why that is the case? Seems like a bizarre omission. It's a controller. It can be used to play the game in single player. If you've never owned a Wii, you essentially have to own 3 controllers, buy 2 additional Wii remotes, just to play with ONE friend. That makes no sense.
It really is dumb. I hated that I could only use remotes in NSMBW because I only had 2 of those but plenty of old Gamecube controllers that could have sufficed. This is even worse because it's a launch title; you can't expect people to stock up on extra controllers right out of the gate.

zroid

Banned
I was watching EP recently and they were talking to some Nintendo rep about NSMBU. He specifically cited "familiar music" as some sort of selling point. I don't know why he would say that unless he were specifically told to.

I think Nintendo genuinely believes people want to hear the same music in every NSMB game.

Maybe this question was already asked but how can I fix the delay on my tv, the gamepad plays fine but the delay on the tv is killing this game for me.

Sixfortyfive

Maybe this question was already asked but how can I fix the delay on my tv, the gamepad plays fine but the delay on the tv is killing this game for me.
- Game Mode
- Disable every extra feature you can find in your TV's menu. Basically anything that sounds like it might "improve" the image.
- Set the Wii's output resolution to match your TV's native resolution.

Or get a better TV.

smr00

Banned
- Game Mode
- Disable every extra feature you can find in your TV's menu. Basically anything that sounds like it might "improve" the image.
- Set the Wii's output resolution to match your TV's native resolution.

Or get a better TV.
Make sure that your Digital Motion/Natural Motion or whatever it's called on your brand is turned off, it's horrible and should be banned from TV sets.

I don't know why the hell this feature is even on TVs, it leaves so much ghosting and it's just awful..

It really is dumb. I hated that I could only use remotes in NSMBW because I only had 2 of those but plenty of old Gamecube controllers that could have sufficed. This is even worse because it's a launch title; you can't expect people to stock up on extra controllers right out of the gate.

It's not just worse because of the stocking up option, the Pad works totally fine for Single Player, doesn't it? There's no reason to not allow use of it in Multiplayer.

Chaplain

I don't understand Koji Kondo's role right now at Nintendo. Is he retired? Working as a mentor to the younger guys? He hasn't fully scored any games since Gamecube gen. Or N64 gen maybe?

Here is what Koji has done for the past 12 years. From Wiki.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Composition/arrangement)

Super Mario Sunshine (Composition/arrangement)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Composition/arrangement)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (Composition/arrangement)

Mario Superstar Baseball (Sound Support)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Composition)
New Super Mario Bros. (Composition)

Super Mario Galaxy (Composition)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Arrangement)

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Composition)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Sound Adviser)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Composition)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Music Supervisor)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Composition)

Mario Tennis Open (Sound Supervisor)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Sound Adviser)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Sound Adviser)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Sound Adviser)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So it sounds like a lot of people are liking it for its level design. As someone that found NSMB2's level design to be as lazy and rehashed as the presentation, should I be more excited about this game?

People also said NSMB2's level design was awesome but I have no idea why anyone would say that.

Jazzem

This game seems to handle pads very badly in general, why on earth is the pro controller not compatible? Compared to Sega All Stars Racing Transformed which allows pro/classic controller/nunchuk/wii remote, it just seems lazy...

zroid

Banned
I have just discovered the wonder that is playing with the Wiimote and using the GamePad as the screen, while touching it with my index finger to make platforms.

And, oh man, is it glorious.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have just discovered the wonder that is playing with the Wiimote and using the GamePad as the screen, while touching it with my index finger to make platforms.

And, oh man, is it glorious.

Whats wrong with using the gamepad controls?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the point of Nabbit's squirrel suit? What does the P symbolize?

Also, what's the sparkling do while in Boost mode? (Star on boxes instead of spades/diamond/leaf etc.)

So what's the point of Nabbit's squirrel suit? What does the P symbolize?

Also, what's the sparkling do while in Boost mode? (Star on boxes instead of spades/diamond/leaf etc.)

P = permanent, basically lets you fly through a stage by repeatedly pressing the ascend button. It's much like the P-Wing from SMB3.

Fox Mulder

I'm doing the speed challenges, and wish there were a Trials HD style restart button instead of going through the pause menus. I'm trying to shave off milliseconds of a run and want to jump right back in.

Sixfortyfive

Just uploaded several more Challenge mode replays. The latest few in particular were a doozy.

Had to stop and take a break after clearing out 18/20 of the time trial category, 'cause I took a peek at the 19th and...

horseicant.gif

Who else is hitting this mode hard? How are you doing?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So what's word on this game's actual quality? Comparable to NSMBW or comparable to the generally 'plain' DS games?

I seriously think different difficulties of Mario need to be unlocked based on how many lives you have by the end of the game.

That's the best way to gauge the skill level of the player I think.

Anth0ny

Here is what Koji has done for the past 12 years. From Wiki.

He is credited in the majority of those games because the original SMB theme and Zelda theme are present. Yeah.

There are only a few songs I know for sure that Kondo has composed over the last few years:

Spirit Tracks - Credits
Super Mario Galaxy - Good Egg Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy - Comet Observatory
Super Mario Galaxy - Flying Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Starship Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Yoshi Star Galaxy

And that's all I really know off the top of my head. I wish there was a better source for this kind of information (what specific tracks Kondo has composed). I'm sure he's made some tracks for Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine and NSMB...

edit: This is the only song Kondo composed for Skyward Sword.

HylianTom

Banned
I've looked (albeit briefly), and find that Kondo also did Buoy Base Galaxy's theme. (He's often co-credited with Makito Yokota.)

Probably my favorite theme in the whole game. A shame that it wasn't used very often at all.

The above-water portion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGkPlZW_cg

And the underwater portion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQfGpZSvjI

If Super Mario Galaxy had been a motion picture, its soundtrack would've been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score. So damn good.

Neo Child

Banned
Gd damn can't actually believe people are serious about the whole music issue. Just put on your favourite band or something if you're that fussed jeezus

Fox Mulder

Gd damn can't actually believe people are serious about the whole music issue. Just put on your favourite band or something if you're that fussed jeezus

well Mario has had some of the most ionic music throughout the history of videogames, so I can understand why people are disappointed.

Epic Drop

Just uploaded several more Challenge mode replays. The latest few in particular were a doozy.

Had to stop and take a break after clearing out 18/20 of the time trial category, 'cause I took a peek at the 19th and...

horseicant.gif

Who else is hitting this mode hard? How are you doing?

Thanks for uploading these! I'm still (slowly) working my way through the Story mode with my wife (playing 2 player), but I'm excited to start on the challenge mode once we finish! I love the speedrunning challenges... they were my favorite part of Rayman Origins, and they look just as great here!

impirius

Just 100% completed NSMBU today (had to go back and get the secret exit in
Walking Piranha Plants
). What fantastic level design. There are a few legitimate knocks on the game, but I've had more fun with this than any other game this year.

The most difficult secret to find for me: the second star coin in Spike's Spouting Sands. Gah!

Hiltz

I don't understand Koji Kondo's role right now at Nintendo. Is he retired? Working as a mentor to the younger guys? He hasn't fully scored any games since Gamecube gen. Or N64 gen maybe?

I wish they got him working on a full soundtrack rather than just random tracks here and there. The two songs that really stood out for me in Mario Galaxy were Comet Observatory and Good Egg Galaxy... which are two of the handful of songs Kondo actually composed for the game (the other 100+ tracks being handled by Mahito Yokota).

Koji Kondo apparently hasn't composed a game's full score by himself since Ocarina of Time. Since then, he's been collaborating and serving as supervisor with EAD staff. As far as the New SMB series go, He apparently only contributed to New SMB DS while being credited as sound advisor in the other New SMB games.

I think it's clear what's going on here, Kondo is abusing his role as sound advisor to elevate his own status even further by allowing the new guys to make lesser music and reuse tracks, people are already asking "where's Kondo? save us Kondo!" and he's loving it.

Murrah

Banned
What're the requirements for 5 stars? I have 4

Beat the game
All levels beaten
All coins through Peach's castle
All 9 star world levels beaten with all star coins

I think those were the four that notified me about stars. I'm assuming the last one is for finding all stage exits and I'm missing one

Already got Walking Piranha Plants and both the ones in the forest of Soda Jungle

Hiltz

Kondo's only 52 years old and Miyamoto recently turned 60. Give us some better music and games before you guys get too old!

Drago

On the topic of 5 stars, did they finally fix the shit requirement of never once having Super Guide blocks show up to get all the stars to shine? I've had the blocks show up quite frequently but I never once hit one. THAT should be the requirement for shining stars. >:[

Sixfortyfive

The 5th star's text is a rather vague "completely clear Story Mode." Not sure what specifics that entails, but finding every exit and catching Nabbit in every world are two parts of it.

HylianTom

Banned
Kondo's only 52 years old and Miyamoto recently turned 60. Give us some better music and games before you guys get too old!

I'm going to sound totally sound greedy here, but I want at least one more Galaxy-level Mario masterpiece and at least one more Wind Waker-or-greater Zelda masterpiece from those two working together before they retire. :)

New music and one or two unique level themes (or even ones that haven't already been in the New SMB series that can be cribbed from some of the other Mario games)...that's all I wish was in this game so far.

NSMBU is excellent - and more importantly, it is still multiplayer gold. Cutthroat Mario Bros + 24 beers = win.

Top Bottom