• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Jtrizzy

can anyone help me out? I'm stuck. I'm at the end of Soda Jungle and have beaten all the boards, then you get to the spot where three ghosts are circling the toad hut. I got to this part earlier and it didn't save or I ran out of lives and it moved me back...Now when I get there I beat the Van Gogh level and the one beside it but the map is not opening up.

can anyone help me out? I'm stuck. I'm at the end of Soda Jungle and have beaten all the boards, then you get to the spot where three ghosts are circling the toad hut. I got to this part earlier and it didn't save or I ran out of lives and it moved me back...Now when I get there I beat the Van Gogh level and the one beside it but the map is not opening up.
I think you have to
find the Secret Exits in order to advance.

braves01

Banned
I just beat the game. Pretty good final fight, way better than NSMB 2 but not as good as 3D Land's. So, about my file after beating the game,
The star by my file isn't glittering, did I accidentally trigger super guide and not know it, or do the stars not glitter in this?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Both those levels have secret exits that let you progress in the world.

What're the requirements for 5 stars? I have 4

Beat the game
All levels beaten
All coins through Peach's castle
All 9 star world levels beaten with all star coins

I think those were the four that notified me about stars. I'm assuming the last one is for finding all stage exits and I'm missing one

Already got Walking Piranha Plants and both the ones in the forest of Soda Jungle
You have to catch Nabbit in every world too.

RetroMG

I've been playing through this with my wife, which has been an absolute blast. We switch between both of us having Wiimotes and playing together, which as absolute chaos, and me with a Wiimote and her using the Gamepad to help me collect Star Coins, which turns the game into a slower, more thoughtful game.

linko9

Something really weird just happened to me. I just lost like 2 or 3 hours of progress in the game. I definitely saved before quitting, but I guess it didn't remember that save or something. Pretty bummed out.

Murrah

Banned
The 5th star's text is a rather vague "completely clear Story Mode." Not sure what specifics that entails, but finding every exit and catching Nabbit in every world are two parts of it.

You have to catch Nabbit in every world too.

Ah that explains it, thanks. I held off on doing one in world 3 a while back and forgot about it, guess I'll get on that tomorrow so I can start sinking my teeth more into Nintendoland

Kokonoe

Banned
Star Road is such a pain, too bad it couldn't be like how it is in Super Mario World where you don't have to get every single Star Coin.

Haven't seen any special Yoshis yet either, are there any?

This game is so much better than NSMB 2 in almost every category* it's not even funny. Starting with world 3, the game pulls out all the stops and becomes challenging and creative. World 3 is like the only water themed Mario world I've ever liked. And world 5 is perfection, possibly my favourite Mario world in any of the games.

*the only thing NSMB 2 did better was the way you could see the extra levels on the map so you could have an idea of which levels to tackle to find hidden exits. That's a minor thing though, I still prefer having a seamless map.

Fox Mulder

so this is my first NSMB since the original on the ds, but what's up with the yoshis?

There's the occasional baby yoshis that don't turn into regular yoshi, and then when you find classic saddle ridin' yoshi, he waves goodbye when you finish a level?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
so this is my first NSMB since the original on the ds, but what's up with the yoshis?

There's the occasional baby yoshis that don't turn into regular yoshi, and then when you find classic saddle ridin' yoshi, he waves goodbye when you finish a level?
The NSMB series, at least since the Wii game, is very deliberate in how it handles most power-ups. Yoshi can't be used outside of the stages that are specifically designed around him.

dkeane

Just beat this. Fantastic game. Last couple of levels were great. I really like the miiverse integration.
Now to collect all the star coins and mess around with challenge mode.

impirius

If you're missing the fifth star and your save file doesn't have a
golden number next to the flag
, you need to
find some more secret exits. You need 94.

I'm wondering if this game is for me. I am enjoying NSMB Wii, but I, er... suck at 2D Mario games. I am struggling with world 3 of the Wii game. I constantly fall off platforms, get hit by enemies, and I sometimes mistakenly spin jump (motion controls, argh!). It's funny, cause I just don't have problems with most other games.

How does the difficulty compare between NSMB Wii and NSMB Wii U? Is there motion controls in Wii U?

andymcc

Banned
I'm wondering if this game is for me. I am enjoying NSMB Wii, but I, er... suck at 2D Mario games. I am struggling with world 3 of the Wii game. I constantly fall off platforms, get hit by enemies, and I sometimes mistakenly spin jump (motion controls, argh!). It's funny, cause I just don't have problems with most other games.

How does the difficulty compare between NSMB Wii and NSMB Wii U? Is there motion controls in Wii U?

if you play with the gamepad, there is only a few parts where you have to use the controller to balance elevator beams. other than that, no motion controls.

Sixfortyfive

NSMBU is pretty similar. If you play single-player, then you have the option of using the Wii U gamepad, which maps the spin jump to a shoulder button instead.

Crazy controller-input lag. Don't get it. Some of the most noticeable controller lag I've ever seen. Anyone else experiencing this?
It's gotta be your setup. Have you tried playing off just the gamepad screen?

Sixfortyfive

Not yet. But we have absolutely no lag in any other game on Wii, Wii U, or 360. If it is the setup, what can I do? Heh.
Make sure your console is set to match your TV's native resolution, make sure game mode is turned on if you have it, and deactivate any post-processing features on your TV.

New Super Mario Wii had allot more lag than this.
Stop buying shitty TVs, guys.

Make sure your console is set to match your TV's native resolution, make sure game mode is turned on if you have it, and deactivate any post-processing features on your TV.

Stop buying shitty TVs, guys.

Im not saying mines lagy. Im just saying the game feels less floaty than the original Wii game.

if you play with the gamepad, there is only a few parts where you have to use the controller to balance elevator beams. other than that, no motion controls.

NSMBU is pretty similar. If you play single-player, then you have the option of using the Wii U gamepad, which maps the spin jump to a shoulder button instead.

That's promising at least. Thanks guys.
I'll keep at NSMB Wii until I get better, then I'll get the Wii U game.

Sixfortyfive

I was going to say that the coin collection challenges are thankfully easy in comparison, but then the last 2 got real stupid.

Probably wouldn't be so bad if I could figure out the "correct" paths to take.

The game is really good, but I loath the desert worlds in the NSMB games. They are AWFUL and so boring, and the same atrocious theme being used is a let down.

That said, I LOVE Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode has always been my favorite modes in video games.

Sixfortyfive

coins1.jpg

coins2.jpg
WHY

Sixfortyfive

Wait, is there a way to obtain screenshots like these from the Wii U, how are you doing this?
I'm just taking shots with my capture card. Gamepad play is super-convenient for this. I just keep my Wii plugged into my card since I don't need the TV to play.

free your mind daniel-san. fall with your block and then jump on the right?
The right spikeball would probably swing back and hit me before I had a safe spot to jump back, but I haven't tried that. I did figure out a way to get past this, but this segment is a pretty funny combination of "Fuck you!":

- can't advance because of spiked enemy
- can't jump in place 'cause the ball on the left will reach you
- can't jump high enough to reach the next platform because you'll touch the coins
- can't jump far enough because dash is disabled
- can't stand freaking still because the floor collapses

Not the worst thing I've encountered, but enough to force me to take a break.

Hmm... I wasn't planning on picking this up since I got tired of the NSMB formula, but watching Sixfortyfive's challenge videos is making me rethink my decision.

Sixfortyfive

For anyone wondering, here are the total number of challenges that you can unlock in each category:

20 Time Attack
16 Coin Collection
10 1-Up Rally
21 Special

13 Boost Mode

80 Total

You get a congratulatory message each time you clear everything in one category for each medal level. Nothing special seems to happen after clearing all of them unless there's something for obtaining gold on every level. I still have 6 with a bronze for the time being.

Sixfortyfive

Well, I'm legitimately stumped on this one.

On a good run I can get up to this point with no coins, but I have no idea how to proceed from here. (This stage has the same layout as
Superstar Road 7
btw.)

If anyone else has any luck with this one, please share.

tsab

Well, I'm legitimately stumped on this one.

On a good run I can get up to this point with no coins, but I have no idea how to proceed from here. (This stage has the same layout as
Superstar Road 7
btw.)

If anyone else has any luck with this one, please share.

run and slide and land on the red platform
you can run right?

Dunkelgrau

Is it really true, that you cannot play the normal two-player-mode with just one gamepad and one remote?

I was looking forward to a normal playthrough with one buddy. And now I have to pay 50 bucks for a second remote – this is really annoying.
I haven’t tested it yet, because the Wii U hasn’t launched in Europe, but I think a two-player-playthrough with gamepad and remote isn’t that funny at all.

Sixfortyfive

]blacky[;44725628 said:
Is it really true, that you cannot play the normal two-player-mode with just one gamepad and one remote?
This is the case, yes.

Any old Wii remote will do though, so I figure you'd be able to find one for much less than $50.

Drago

To anyone who has 100% the game:

The Toad Houses have infinite uses when the game is 100% completed like in other games, yes? They're the only way to get Propeller Mushrooms and Penguin Suits in World 9 and there are only four houses total there

impirius

To anyone who has 100% the game:

The Toad Houses have infinite uses when the game is 100% completed like in other games, yes? They're the only way to get Propeller Mushrooms and Penguin Suits in World 9 and there are only four houses total there

Yep!

Top Bottom