• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

braves01

Banned
1. I finally got around to boost mode. I thought it looked too slow in video, but I think it's just right after playing because it encourages you to chain coins together to keep boosts going.

2. Do the stars next to your file name sparkle like in the other NSMB games or not? I can't tell if I accidentally triggered a super guide or if the stars just don't sparkle.

So I'm pretty sure I have all the out of world shortcuts and branching path exits, but I think what I'm missing is probably and inter-world shortcut. Is there a list of them around somewhere?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just wondering, do the normal Wii controllers (the ones with the launch Wii) work with the Wii U and this game?
Yes.

Edit: omfg i beat it... This game is taking years off my life.

Edit2: Just... watch.

That leaves 2 time trials:
- "Stoneslide Tower Climb" (reach the boss room of Layer-Cake Desert Fortress within 60 seconds)
- "Screwtop It Up" (reach the boss room of Rock-Candy Mines Fortress within 65 seconds)

Anybody have any pointers on these two? These are definitely two stages where route means everything. Lots of platforms that you move via screws and it's likely a matter of knowing which ones you mess with and which ones you skip.

I beat the game last night, it's freaking amazing, best Mario since Super Mario World, can't wait to find all the secrets!
2012-11-25040452.jpg

Davey Cakes

I'm working my way through the Glacier world and I'm honestly surprised at how tricky some of these stages can be. There are a lot of moments where skill and patience work better than just trying to rush through things. The game isn't ridiculously hard but it makes you want to be cautious in certain areas. I hate it when the ! block appears so sometimes I actually fear losing multiple lives in a row while playing through a particular stage.

I still have 80+ lives at this point so I'm in no real danger but the shame of the ! block is serious motivation for me to be a better player.

NSMBU has the most noticeable difficulty hike that I've experienced in the series. Obstacles become more treacherous and the level design becomes more treacherous early on.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm working my way through the Glacier world and I'm honestly surprised at how tricky some of these stages can be. There are a lot of moments where skill and patience work better than just trying to rush through things. The game isn't ridiculously hard but it makes you want to be cautious in certain areas. I hate it when the ! block appears so sometimes I actually fear losing multiple lives in a row while playing through a particular stage.

I still have 80+ lives at this point so I'm in no real danger but the shame of the ! block is serious motivation for me to be a better player.

NSMBU has the most noticeable difficulty hike that I've experienced in the series. Obstacles become more treacherous and the level design becomes more treacherous early on.

I think I made the game harder than it was supposed to be. The game pretty much throws P-wing suits at you like crazy, and I didn't use them very much at all.
I have yet to really find a use for either of the two Star Road power-ups. I mean.. you get them right when you've finished everything? Huh?

Although, I did use stars on the Nabbit stages to speed things up a bit.. :p

I think I made the game harder than it was supposed to be. The game pretty much throws P-wing suits at you like crazy, and I didn't use them very much at all.
I have yet to really find a use for either of the two Star Road power-ups. I mean.. you get them right when you've finished everything? Huh?

Good idea. Never even considered doing this.

HylianTom

Banned
Good idea. Never even considered doing this.

It made those challenges entirely too easy. You run faster while it's active, and you can plow through everything. I'd usually catch him in less than 10 seconds each time.

Knowing this, I'd usually visit a map enemy for a free star before taking care of Nabbit.

Drago

This is what I did. Makes catching Nabbit too easy, but it was the only real use I had for inventory Starman.

And I used about 5 to 6 P-Acorns throughout the game. I'm weak and they give them out often. :p

Alchemy

Played the 3DS one with my wife, we were both bored to tears. I'm hesitant to pick this up as a result but really want to play a good Mario game on the Wii U... so conflicted. Anyone enjoying this after being disappointed with the 3DS one?

Darryl

Banned
Played the 3DS one with my wife, we were both bored to tears. I'm hesitant to pick this up as a result but really want to play a good Mario game on the Wii U... so conflicted. Anyone enjoying this after being disappointed with the 3DS one?

I enjoyed the first world in NSMB:U more than I did the entire game of NSMB2. It's much much better.

Where the crap do you get mini mushrooms in this game? :/
If you finish a level with :66 on the clock, you can get a mini shroom as a reward. :77 gives an acorn, I think :33 gives a regular shroom, :99 gives a starman, and :44 gives a fire flower (that, or ice flower and :55 gives the other flower).

Kai

Is there any penalty to 100% completion if you see the Green ! block (die 5 times in one world) or use any of the "P" Acorn's?

The reason I ask is because in Mario 3D land if you "saw" one of the help blocks after dying 5 times - your 5 star save file is silver instead of gold....

Sixfortyfive

Is there any penalty to 100% completion if you see the Green ! block (die 5 times in one world) or use any of the "P" Acorn's?

The reason I ask is because in Mario 3D land if you "saw" one of the help blocks after dying 5 times - your 5 star save file is silver instead of gold....
There doesn't seem to be a penalty for that this time around.

bluehat9

I'm sure it's been asked in this thread a lot, but is there any way to know which levels have secret exits or are you just supposed to stumble into them? Hate having to look over every area of every level when only a few will have them.

Bluth54

Yeah New Super Mario Brothers U is much better then New Super Mario Bros 2.

It was the same situation last time too, the Wii game was much better then the DS game that came before it.

Sanic

I've come to realize that I don't have a problem with the "bahs" and enemies reacting to them.

It's just the music that surrounds them that's uninspiring. Regardless, the game is great so far.

Sixfortyfive

I'm sure it's been asked in this thread a lot, but is there any way to know which levels have secret exits or are you just supposed to stumble into them? Hate having to look over every area of every level when only a few will have them.
Every world has 1 secret exit, except Soda Jungle, which has several.

HylianTom

Banned
If you're missing the fifth star and your save file doesn't have a
golden number next to the flag
, you need to
find some more secret exits. You need 94.
Hey.. I've gone through every single regular and secret exit in the game but one. Any ideas? I'm absolutely stumped at this point.

edit: nevermind! Finally found it.. right in front of my eyes!
It was at the end of the Walking Piranha Plants level (#5) - a hidden area accessed from a ledge under one of the last chains in the level. Fifth star get!

U is definitely the most visually pleasant NSMB, but I am not enjoying it as much as NSMB2.

I have a huge thing for the raccoon tail and cape and being able to fly and explore the sky. It adds so much.

Really wish U had this.

Drago

If you finish a level with :66 on the clock, you can get a mini shroom as a reward. :77 gives an acorn, I think :33 gives a regular shroom, :99 gives a starman, and :44 gives a fire flower (that, or ice flower and :55 gives the other flower).
Wait, there's item code for finish level times? I thought it was random! Is there a full list to the times and items anywhere?

Wait, there's item code for finish level times? I thought it was random! Is there a full list to the times and items anywhere?
Nope, pretty sure it's not random. I've at least tested for :77 three times, got an acorn each time. I don't have a full list, but it should be easy to test and check.

Edit: so this is what I've found in regards to completion times and rewards earned.

Mushroom :11, :22, :33
Fire Flower :44
Ice Flower :55
Mini Shroom :66
Acorn :77
Starman :88, :99
Nothing :00

I've gotten an Acorn at least five times by ending a level on :77 at this point, I'm pretty confident that it isn't random.

HylianTom

Banned
Nope, pretty sure it's not random. I've at least tested for :77 three times, got an acorn each time. I don't have a full list, but it should be easy to test and check.

Edit: so this is what I've found in regards to completion times and rewards earned.

Mushroom :11, :22, :33
Fire Flower :44
Ice Flower :55
Mini Shroom :66
Acorn :77
Starman :88, :99
Nothing :00

I've gotten an Acorn at least five times by ending a level on :77 at this point, I'm pretty confident that it isn't random.
Really handy info - thanks! I loved using the fire and ice flowers in this game, but never thought to consider any possible connection between fireworks and Toad rewards. Now that it's been pointed-out here, it seems so very obvious.

I've also noticed that this game's difficulty level is markedly easier when you take your time and dispose of enemies with flower power. Levels that are supposedly "very difficult" were fairly easy when I took my time and fried everything to a crisp (example: "Swim for Your Life").

Now that I've found that final star, tomorrow begins my challenge playtime. :)

Hero

Played through the whole game with Gryphter in one shot Friday night.

Very enjoyable game, some levels were quite tough and even more intense with 2 player co-op. Level design was clever and downright brutal at some times.

Will try attempting to get all the Star Coins next and have done some Challenges but easily the best NSMB game, unless NSMB 2 is somehow better than this. Skipped out on that one.

]blacky[;44725628 said:
Is it really true, that you cannot play the normal two-player-mode with just one gamepad and one remote?

I was looking forward to a normal playthrough with one buddy. And now I have to pay 50 bucks for a second remote – this is really annoying.
I haven’t tested it yet, because the Wii U hasn’t launched in Europe, but I think a two-player-playthrough with gamepad and remote isn’t that funny at all.

Never mind - I was thinking Boost Mode - yeah you need 2 remotes to play co-op.

HylianTom

Banned
Don't do it. So many tears.
I suspected as much.

I confess: took a peek at the challenge area several days ago.. it took me about ten tries just to get a gold medal on the first level. This is going to give me fits, and ZombiU's seductive call will get louder and more difficult to ignore. But I've gotta try!

Inukage

I cant wait to play this on Friday, just a question do the Mii's wear hats in the game I really want to make a Wario Mii to match the color coding of player 3.

I cant wait to play this on Friday, just a question do the Mii's wear hats in the game I really want to make a Wario Mii to match the color coding of player 3.
Yup, you get the option of hat or no hat when you choose to play as the mii. Btw, is it just me or do other people find the mii voices absolutely hilarious, it always sounds like they're saying "F*ck You" to me.

Sixfortyfive

Anybody know the easiest stage in story mode to obtain extra lives on? I want to carry Luigi and the Toads to an easy 1-Up farming spot so that I have plenty to mess around with later in multiplayer. I know NSMBW had an obvious staircase trick for this. Does NSMBU have anything similarly easy?

Top Bottom