• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anybody know the easiest stage in story mode to obtain extra lives on? I want to carry Luigi and the Toads to an easy 1-Up farming spot so that I have plenty to mess around with later in multiplayer. I know NSMBW had an obvious staircase trick for this. Does NSMBU have anything similarly easy?

The first giant world has giant Goombas which are great for chaining jumps together. Got a good amount of 1ups there each time.

Drago

Nope, pretty sure it's not random. I've at least tested for :77 three times, got an acorn each time. I don't have a full list, but it should be easy to test and check.

Edit: so this is what I've found in regards to completion times and rewards earned.

Mushroom :11, :22, :33
Fire Flower :44
Ice Flower :55
Mini Shroom :66
Acorn :77
Starman :88, :99
Nothing :00

I've gotten an Acorn at least five times by ending a level on :77 at this point, I'm pretty confident that it isn't random.

Ah, thank you for this list. Could come in handy. :)

Congrats on doing what I would never ever be able to do

I gave up on challenge mode after 3 star challenges started to make me rage. :p

pestul

God, I'm dying a lot in some of these worlds. :eek:

I could be called a total Mario nube all over again. The game is fantastic, but I really need to stock up on 1ups somewhere too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone ever find any 3-Up Moons? The save file records imply that they're somewhere, but I never saw any.

Anyone ever find any 3-Up Moons? The save file records imply that they're somewhere, but I never saw any.
I think those only show up in multiplayer mode. It requires the pad player to poke a moon block and for someone else to go and hit that block to make them come out. The moon block itself is invisible and non-collidable to the other players until the pad player pokes it (the moon block only shows up on the pad). It also fades over time if nobody hits it.

I watched the Giantbomb stream where they played 5 players and there were a bunch of them popping up there - maybe you need the U pad platforms, or to be in multiplayer for them to show up?

EDIT: Ah, answered above.

Karish

This game is not easy. Tried to have my GF play with me but she got frustrated very quickly. Thankfully she enjoyed the Gamepad 2nd player mode!

Fox Mulder

God, I'm dying a lot in some of these worlds. :eek:

I could be called a total Mario nube all over again. The game is fantastic, but I really need to stock up on 1ups somewhere too.

I am dying a bit too, but the jumps feel more floaty than what I've been used to my whole life. I haven't played a new mario game since the one on the DS, so it took getting used to again.

Sixfortyfive

Seems it might be possible to completely bypass most underground levels by flying over the first part Mario 3 P-wing style. Works on both the stages I've tried so far.

So yeah, I 100%'d it. It is good, but not as fluid as NSMB2, which I played from front to start with no trouble. NSMBU had me bored a lot.

It is certainly a huge upgrade visually for the series, but the music really does need an upgrade. It has some nice tunes, but using the same style as previous NSMB games is getting old.

So yeah, I 100%'d it. It is good, but not as fluid as NSMB2, which I played from front to start with no trouble. NSMBU had me bored a lot.

It is certainly a huge upgrade visually for the series, but the music really does need an upgrade. It has some nice tunes, but using the same style as previous NSMB games is getting old.

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of the high pitched choral "Bah! Bah!" in the background of the music for these games. Might just be me, but it's a little annoying.

Still, I'm having a blast with it. I've enjoyed both this and NSMB2, even though I didn't like previous games in the series.

MrMephistoX

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of the high pitched choral "Bah! Bah!" in the background of the music for these games. Might just be me, but it's a little annoying.

Still, I'm having a blast with it. I've enjoyed both this and NSMB2, even though I didn't like previous games in the series.

I know! I feel like I'm doing it wrong or something because I didn't really like NSMB 1 for DS or Wii but adore these two. Maybe it's my nostalgia for Koopa kids and the fact that Super Mario Bros. 3 is my all time fave and I never really liked SMB1 as a kid.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Forgive me if this was answered but how do you unlock more boost rush packs past the first 3? I'm well into the game and the remaining 5 packs are still ?'d.

Sixfortyfive

Forgive me if this was answered but how do you unlock more boost rush packs past the first 3? I'm well into the game and the remaining 5 packs are still ?'d.
I dunno the exact requirements, but clearing everything in story mode should do it if you don't already have them before then.

Kai Dracon

OT: I never thought you were female until I saw your miiverse profile. Now, everytime you post, the tone of your writing is considerably more feminine in style. *psyduck head turn*

But I am a boy. A real boy!

Err-- *goes to check Miiverse profile settings*

Kai Dracon

Are you? Well, this is awkward. lol I have a notoriously bad memory. Could have been another gaffer.

I am indeed, a man. Gay, true, but I seem to have all the parts in working order this afternoon.

Perhaps I'll run a level 1 diagnostic. It's the only way to be sure.

Traded in Assassin's Creed 3 and picked this up. Downloading the update right now, can't wait to play a console Mario with an actual controller.

I only started dying in the regular levels when I began actively trying to grab star coins. But
Some of the Superstar Road levels
are really, really tough.

Seik

Banned
I finished the game yesterday with a friend, it was a great experience. The game was harder than I expected, the good kind of harder. The levels designs are brilliant.

Now I need to 100% it, do want these Star Road levels! :D

Got around to finally making my video review. Too many games out, so little time.

That's a great review man!

Beat the game, finally. Woooow, that final level was a gigantic asshole. Very enjoyable, though. Glad they finally did something different with the final battle.

Overall, this is definitely my new favorite 2D Mario game. So good. Far from done, though. To 100%!

Ok I've just gone through a few levels so far, but I'm eating lots of crow right now. This game is great, the levels are very well designed.

Not phoned in at all, music notwithstanding.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Spent an hour on
SSR-2
. Wow.

Now that I've beaten it I can beat it again consistently without breaking a sweat. Pretty surreal.

So what are the requirements for a 5-star file? I have 100%'d everything, including all secret (and regular) exits, all star coins, all levels beaten,
all Star Road
completed. I just realized today that I do not have a 5-star file despite 100%ing it the other day.

By the way, it's the second best NSMB game (I like 2 the most), but I was really disappointed in the complete lack of challenge, even in the bonus levels.

chrono01

So what are the requirements for a 5-star file? I have 100%'d everything, including all secret (and regular) exits, all star coins, all levels beaten, all Star Road completed.

Did you capture Nabbit in World 1-7? Just confirming that you also have all 94 Exits, right [it will say on your profile, next to the flag]?

Here are the 12 Secret Exits, in-case you were wondering. They don't all lead to extra levels, some are simply branching paths/shortcuts/etc.

Tilted Tunnel - Acorn Plains
Spikes Spouting Sands - Layer-Cake Desert
Haunted Shipwreck - Sparkling Waters [Ghost House]
Swaying Ghost House - Frosted Glacier [Ghost House]
Bridge Over Poisoned Waters - Soda Jungle
Which-Way Labyrinth - Soda Jungle [Ghost House]
Painted Swampland - Soda Jungle
Deepsea Ruins - Soda Jungle
Grinding-Stone Tower - Rock-Candy Mines Tower
Walking Piranha Plants - Rock-Candy Mines
Spinning Spirit House - Meringue Clouds [Ghost House]
Meteor Moat - Peach's Castle

Did you capture Nabbit in World 1-7? Just confirming that you also have all 94 Exits, right [it will say on your profile, next to the flag]?

Here are the 12 Secret Exits, in-case you were wondering. They don't all lead to extra levels, some are simply branching paths/shortcuts/etc.

Tilted Tunnel - Acorn Plains
Spikes Spouting Sands - Layer-Cake Desert
Haunted Shipwreck - Sparkling Waters [Ghost House]
Swaying Ghost House - Frosted Glacier [Ghost House]
Bridge Over Poisoned Waters - Soda Jungle
Which-Way Labyrinth - Soda Jungle [Ghost House]
Painted Swampland - Soda Jungle
Deepsea Ruins - Soda Jungle
Grinding-Stone Tower - Rock-Candy Mines Tower
Walking Piranha Plants - Rock-Candy Mines
Spinning Spirit House - Meringue Clouds [Ghost House]
Meteor Moat - Peach's Castle

I have all of the secret exits, but I only have 93 on my file. Maybe I didn't do a regular exit for one of these, which is what I am checking now.

chrono01

Yep, all secret exits and Nabbit in every world. I'm going to check again to see if maybe there was a regular exit I missed.
Some of them can be tricky, like having to go through
Painted Swampland
and
Deepsea Ruins
twice [once for the secret exit, and again for the regular exit]. They really only create a circluar path that leads back to the same level, but it counts for 100% completion.

RagnarokX

Man, there are some really creative star coin locations in this game. I loved the one in Porcupuffer Falls
where you had to throw a turtle shell underwater, stop it, pick it up, and throw it at a row of urchins.

chrono01

Man, there are some really creative star coin locations in this game. I loved the one in Porcupuffer Falls
where you had to throw a turtle shell underwater, stop it, pick it up, and throw it at a row of urchins.
I agree, there are quite a few cleverly-placed ones.

However, the Star Coins that require a hidden block [that grows into a beanstalk that takes you to a bonus area]...I do not particularly like those. Thankfully, there aren't too many of those in-game.

impact

Banned
I'm terrible at this game. And I beat Dark Souls like four times in the past couple months. Thanks for making me feel scrubby again Nintendo.

Fox Mulder

I'm terrible at this game. And I beat Dark Souls like four times in the past couple months. Thanks for making me feel scrubby again Nintendo.

I'm dying way too much as well.

I've played mario games my whole life, but this one feels different. I don't think it's hard really, just that my play style clashes with it. Most of my deaths also come from trying to get all the star coins in a level the first time I play it.

Kai Dracon

The back half of this game is no joke. By the time you get to Rock Candy Mines, there is some serious platforming taking place and some really cunning scenarios set up.

But I think the team deserves a lot of credit in that, despite the already creative and well done course ideas in NSMB2, in spite of all the ideas in NSMB Wii, there's fresh stuff and new ideas here right from the start.

RagnarokX

The back half of this game is no joke. By the time you get to Rock Candy Mines, there is some serious platforming taking place and some really cunning scenarios set up.

But I think the team deserves a lot of credit in that, despite the already creative and well done course ideas in NSMB2, in spite of all the ideas in NSMB Wii, there's fresh stuff and new ideas here right from the start.

I'd say the game picks up pace a lot quicker than previous NSMB games.

Sanctuary

Convince me why I should care about this game. I absolutely loved Super Mario Brothers 1-3, Super Mario World, and especially Mario 64; but since 1996, I've not had any urge to play any platformers at all. I tried getting into Galaxy, but it's literally been sitting, collecting dust since I purchased it.

Does this do anything at all new that I haven't already played to death with the games mentioned above?

Top Bottom