• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Hero

Convince me why I should care about this game. I absolutely loved Super Mario Brothers 1-3, Super Mario World, and especially Mario 64; but since 1996, I've not had any urge to play any platformers at all. I tried getting into Galaxy, but it's literally been sitting, collecting dust since I purchased it.

Does this do anything at all new that I haven't already played to death with the games mentioned above?

There's almost 1300 posts in this thread, why don't you try reading a few pages instead of asking an open ended question?

zoukka

Many here buy a wiiu just to play this?

Welcome to a console launch. We usually do end up buying consoles on launch to play lesser games than the masterpieces already available in the previous gens. Happens every time.

This time it's an HD 2D Mario games. Could be worse like the 3DS Launch :)

Sanctuary

There's almost 1300 posts in this thread, why don't you try reading a few pages instead of asking an open ended question?

Yeah, or a short summary to my question would suffice instead of reading 25 pages of "this game is so great!" without actually stating how it's any different.

Convince me why I should care about this game. I absolutely loved Super Mario Brothers 1-3, Super Mario World, and especially Mario 64; but since 1996, I've not had any urge to play any platformers at all. I tried getting into Galaxy, but it's literally been sitting, collecting dust since I purchased it.

Does this do anything at all new that I haven't already played to death with the games mentioned above?

I haven't played the game yet but... if you didn't enjoy Galaxy i am not sure this one would change your mind exactly.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, or a short summary to my question would suffice instead of reading 25 pages of "this game is so great!" without actually stating how it's any different.

If you're expecting something ground-breaking, this game will disappoint you in that regard, but the game is fun. If you haven't played any NSMB games yet, it'll be kinda a fresh experience for you. They more or less use themes from previous Mario games and don't try to push the envelope as Mario 3 and World did, but they are still fun games.

I wouldn't say this game is worth 60$ myself as it uses the same OST from NSMB Wii, took me 8 hours to beat the game, and uses the same themes as other NSMB games and lacks online-play, but it's still a fun title.

Sanctuary

If you're expecting something ground-breaking, this game will disappoint you in that regard, but the game is fun. If you haven't played any NSMB games yet, it'll be kinda a fresh experience for you. They more or less use themes from previous Mario games and don't try to push the envelope as Mario 3 and World did, but they are still fun games.

I wouldn't say this game is worth 60$ myself as it uses the same OST from NSMB Wii, took me 8 hours to beat the game, and uses the same themes as other NSMB games and lacks online-play, but it's still a fun title.

Thank you. I'll more than likely just Gamefly it once enough "want to play, not worth keeping" games fill up my list.

Anybody know the easiest stage in story mode to obtain extra lives on? I want to carry Luigi and the Toads to an easy 1-Up farming spot so that I have plenty to mess around with later in multiplayer. I know NSMBW had an obvious staircase trick for this. Does NSMBU have anything similarly easy?

This is just a guess, but is the level at 45:49 in your video set up the same way in Story Mode? If so, a Koopa Troopa walking down a staircase is suspicious, even if they're both giant.

How do you get Miiverse integration to work? I can see others's posts when I look at the map, but it never asks me to post during spectacular failures.

And every time I get a game over, it tells me the Miiverse stuff all over again (to be fair, the game just updated and just started to talk about Miiverse), and it tells me to set up Miiverse frome the HOME Menu before I can use it. Miiverse was set up from Day 1!

Assistance?

Kokonoe

Banned
How do you get Miiverse integration to work? I can see others's posts when I look at the map, but it never asks me to post during spectacular failures.

And every time I get a game over, it tells me the Miiverse stuff all over again (to be fair, the game just updated and just started to talk about Miiverse), and it tells me to set up Miiverse frome the HOME Menu before I can use it. Miiverse was set up from Day 1!

Assistance?

MgyOx.png

dNa3P.png

pvBHZ.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yep.

Now that I'm done with the singleplayer, I probably won't get much use out of this thing at all until Xmas week, when I plan to do some NSMB co-op.

Although a secondary reason I picked up this system was just to have a Wii with HDMI out. My primary display doesn't have component inputs, so this means I can actually play old Wii games again without digging out my old crappy SDTV from storage.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

It's odd. 20 years ago it would have been worth the then 50 bucks. Now it feels like it isn't worth 60 which is less when adjusting for inflation. There are many 3d action games that also only offer an 8 hour story that also do not seem worth the 60 bucks.

AAA games like GTA and Skyrim along with cheap 5 dollar mobile games really change the value proposition. Nintendo needs to realize this, heck the whole industry needs to see that not every game should launch at 60 bucks.

I am slowly playing through it myself. I have most of the coins in the first 5 worlds and try to get as many as I can before moving on to the next world. There is certainly a lot of "re-play" value in this one. I played through SPec Ops: The line this weekend and I will never touch it again. NSMBU will be played until I get every damn coin and flag. I didn't feel this way about either of the Galaxy games though I did enjoy them for what I got out of them, I just couldn't bring myself to care about the mini-game stars.

Fox Mulder

I haven't played any of the other NSMB games besides the first one on the DS, but was wondering if the challenge stuff like time trials is in other versions. I kind of prefer those over the main game. Even Nabbit is fun once in each world.

chrono01

Yeah, I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U too. While I won't say that it's my favorite 2D Mario game [Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World compete for that honor], it's absolutely the best of the "New" series, and I'm really excited to see where they go from here. The Challenge mode is genius, and I really liked how the World Map worked [SMW-style!]. The final Bowser battle was indeed amazing, despite not being challenging. It was still so satisfying, though.

Iwata-san did say that we'll only see one installment of the "New" series on each platform [NSMB for the DS, NSMBW for the Wii, NSMB2 for the 3DS, and now NSMBU for the Wii U], so I'm doubtful we'll get a sequel on the current Wii U [unless they change their mind]. That's a shame, since I really...really love this game.

I am excited to see what the Super Mario Galaxy team do for the Wii U, though. It should be really interesting. ^_^

Ok......lets get real here because I love platformers and I am considering buying a Wii U and this......is it better than Rayman Orgins or Donkey Kong Country Returns? I felt that both those games were better than NSMB Wii.

chrono01

Ok......lets get real here because I love platformers and I am considering buying a Wii U and this......is it better than Rayman Orgins or Donkey Kong Country Returns? I felt that both those games were better than NSMB Wii.
I enjoyed NSMBU more than NSMBW, although I still loved that one too. I haven't [yet] played Rayman Origins, so I can only comment on DKCR. For me, it's an absolute tie between both NSMBU and DKCR. Both offer flawless level design, and are just incredibly fun to play. I can fault NSMBU for not having as many original music pieces as DKCR [although they were mainly remixes of classic DKC songs, they were still really well-done], but then, I can strike a negative against DKCR for having the motion controls to roll/blow/pound/etc. Granted, I got used to them, but they never felt as "precise" as a button-press would.

If you're a plaftormer fan [which it appears you are] I'm sure you'll enjoy NSMBU. I bought a Wii U specifically for this title [nothing else at launch really interested me, although Nintendo Land is a nice pack-in with the Deluxe and a few titles coming next year I will definitely purchase] and I don't regret a thing. But then, I guess it depends on how big of a fan you are for Mario titles.

eternalb

Good game, but vastly inferior to DKCR, which was brilliant from both a gameplay and visual perspective. It had far more inventive levels and was just a joy the entire way through. NSMBU is NSMBW with a world map.

Tyeforce

Can anyone confirm whether or not making the Super Guide Block appear (not using it) will prevent your stars on your save file from becoming shiny like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Or, first, I should say, are the shiny stars on the save files even IN this game? I can't seem to find a concrete answer searching with Google.

Can anyone confirm whether or not making the Super Guide Block appear (not using it) will prevent your stars on your save file from becoming shiny like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Or, first, I should say, are the shiny stars on the save files even IN this game? I can't seem to find a concrete answer searching with Google.

I've been trying to find the same thing. I don't think they're in the game.

Anybody know the easiest stage in story mode to obtain extra lives on? I want to carry Luigi and the Toads to an easy 1-Up farming spot so that I have plenty to mess around with later in multiplayer. I know NSMBW had an obvious staircase trick for this. Does NSMBU have anything similarly easy?
The ice level with the bullet bills and have a squirrel suit. Easy as hell youll see it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Decided to compile a list of all the secret exits in the game as I was coming through the world map looking for what I missed for the fifth star (it turned out being the normal exit for
Soda Jungle-2
.)

Anyways, spoilers!

1. Acorn Plains-2: Tilted Tunnel (to Acorn Plains-Blooper: Blooper's Secret Lair)

2. Layer-Cake Desert-4: Spike's Spouting Sands (to Layer-Cake Desert-Ice: Piranha Plants on Ice)

3. Sparkling Waters-Ghost House: Haunted Shipwreck (to Sparkling Waters-Leaf: Skyward Stalk)

4. Frosted Glacier-Ghost House: Swaying Ghost House (to Frosted Glacier-Fliprus: Fliprus Lake)

5. Soda Jungle-2: Bridge Over Poisoned Waters (to Soda Jungle-. [to Soda Jungle-6/7])

6. Soda Jungle-Ghost House: Which Way Labyrinth (to Soda Jungle-Para-Beetle: A Flight of the Para-Beetles)

7. Soda Jungle-4: Painted Swampland (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

8. Soda Jungle-5: Deepsea Ruins (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

9. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Grinding Stone Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-6: Thrilling Spine Coaster)

10. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Screwtop Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-. [Rock-Candy Mines-Castle: Roy's Conveyor Castle, backdoor])

11. Meringue Clouds-Ghost House: Spinning Spirit House (to Meringue Clouds-Castle: Ludwig's Clockwork Castle)

12. Peach's Castle-1: Meteor Moat (to Peach's Castle-4: Firefall Cliffs)
I think that's everything, but let me know if I missed one.

Ein Bear

This time it's an HD 2D Mario games. Could be worse like the 3DS Launch :)

Haha I'm still not sure how I managed to convince myself that Pilotwings Resort and Street Fighter were worth picking a 3DS up on launch day.

HD 2D Mario though? Fuck yeah that's a system seller right there.

suaveric

Decided to compile a list of all the secret exits in the game as I was coming through the world map looking for what I missed for the fifth star (it turned out being the normal exit for
Soda Jungle-2
.)

Anyways, spoilers!

1. Acorn Plains-2: Tilted Tunnel (to Acorn Plains-Blooper: Blooper's Secret Lair)

2. Layer-Cake Desert-4: Spike's Spouting Sands (to Layer-Cake Desert-Ice: Piranha Plants on Ice)

3. Sparkling Waters-Ghost House: Haunted Shipwreck (to Sparkling Waters-Leaf: Skyward Stalk)

4. Frosted Glacier-Ghost House: Swaying Ghost House (to Frosted Glacier-Fliprus: Fliprus Lake)

5. Soda Jungle-2: Bridge Over Poisoned Waters (to Soda Jungle-. [to Soda Jungle-6/7])

6. Soda Jungle-4: Painted Swampland (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

7. Soda Jungle-5: Deepsea Ruins (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

8. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Grinding Stone Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-6: Thrilling Spine Coaster)

9. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Screwtop (to Rock-Candy Mines-. [Rock-Candy Mines-Castle: Roy's Conveyor Castle, backdoor])

10. Meringue Clouds-Ghost House: Spinning Spirit House (to Meringue Clouds-Castle: Ludwig's Clockwork Castle)

11. Peach's Castle-1: Meteor Moat (to Peach's Castle-4: Firefall Cliffs)
I think that's everything, but let me know if I missed one.

You missed Soda Jungle's Ghost house exit.

Thoraxes

Fun things are fun.

bede-x

This and the promise of upcoming games. I would wait with the Wii U if Mario U wasn't here at release.

Iwata-san did say that we'll only see one installment of the "New" series on each platform [NSMB for the DS, NSMBW for the Wii, NSMB2 for the 3DS, and now NSMBU for the Wii U], so I'm doubtful we'll get a sequel on the current Wii U [unless they change their mind]. That's a shame, since I really...really love this game.

As long as we get a Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong and a proper Wario game, I can wait a generation for the next 2D Mario. Would actually prefer to wait to keep the franchise from going stale.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just to be clear, for the absolute final last level,
you have to intervene to get the turtle shell to open the paths to the second and third coins, right? I thought my game was bugged cause it wouldn't. :p

You missed Soda Jungle's Ghost house exit.

Oh right, thanks!

Tookay

Depends on what you liked about those games versus NSMBW. I think the level design and control in this is better, but, in terms of "freshness," it's still inferior to Rayman and DKCR, for obvious reasons. The NSMB formula's feeling a little worn around the edges. And while this game does have some moments of visual splendor, it's clear that Nintendo places a priority on easily discernible foregrounds/backgrounds/characters, so it never is quite as exciting on-screen as the aforementioned games.

Finally got to play it.

Great game and looks great. The overworld is a lot more jaggy than the levels thoughs. The difficult level is nice so far. Pretty hard even sometimes.

Finally in hd.... Finally.

Have 100% completed up to the final level which I'll tackle tomorrow considering it's extremely early right now.

Really fantastic game. The level design has been great especially in this last couple of worlds
(dat HD Peach's Castle)
. The aesthetics were a lot better than I thought they'd be, although it's obvious they mostly used uprezzed Wii assets. There were a couple moments however that have got me excited for HD Nintendo. The "run up the stairs to get in the cannon that fires you to the boss's lair" parts in particular. The airships in those areas really stood out to me for some reason, especially the faces on the front.

Anyways, can't wait to tackle the final level and do any post-game content. This has been a great start to what I'm sure will be a great library.

RagnarokX

Depends on what you liked about those games versus NSMBW. I think the level design and control in this is better, but, in terms of "freshness," it's still inferior to Rayman and DKCR, for obvious reasons. The NSMB formula's feeling a little worn around the edges. And while this game does have some moments of visual splendor, it's clear that Nintendo places a priority on easily discernible foregrounds/backgrounds/characters, so it never is quite as exciting on-screen as the aforementioned games.

I dunno. I thought the game looked beautiful. In all of the videos and screenshots visual elements of the design looked incongruous, but the real thing in HD looked great. The lighting is really good and most of the backgrounds were beautiful. The world map also blows all previous Mario maps out of the water (the first time I found a hidden exit surprised me because there is very little indication of where a secret path is on the map). This game gets rolling a lot faster than previous NSMB games; even the first level has a lot going on. I'd say by world 3 it hits a good challenge level, with later worlds having some crazy challenge; especially if you're going for star coins.

This game is a lot better than NSMBWii.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I picked NSMB:U up today at the Australian Wii U Launch.

I am really enjoying it (that said 2D Mario is pretty much my favourite franchise).

I noticed that the timer in the early levels is shorter than recent NSMB titles (at least when considering the size of the levels). This essentially puts more time pressure on when exploring.

Great to see Mario in HD. The first world was pretty decent for a first world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone finding that they duck too much when using the analogue stick to move? I thought at first that my hand was at an odd angle making my left/right slightly tilted. But I checked and mario ducks when I I've the analogue stick a really small distance off horizontal. Really putting me off already and I've barely started. Will try the oddly slippery dpad, see how I get on with that.

TheExodu5

Banned
As good as the game may be, I think series fatigue is setting in for me at this point. I'm just not really captivated by the game at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As good as the game may be, I think series fatigue is setting in for me at this point. I'm just not really captivated by the game at all.

I want a new 3D one. It's 2.5 years since galaxy 2, I'm ready for a new big adventure. 3D land on 3DS was great

Chaplain

I agree. It also doesn't help that the bosses, worlds, and music are the same as in previous games. There are no options to turn off the music. Missing online mode to play with friends.

izakq

Anyone finding that they duck too much when using the analogue stick to move? I thought at first that my hand was at an odd angle making my left/right slightly tilted. But I checked and mario ducks when I I've the analogue stick a really small distance off horizontal. Really putting me off already and I've barely started. Will try the oddly slippery dpad, see how I get on with that.

I can never use the stick for these type of games, because of the same reason you posted. I had no problems with the dpad though.

matthwq

Banned
I agree. It also doesn't help that the bosses, worlds, and music are the same as in previous games. There are no options to turn off the music. Missing online mode to play with friends.

Kind of agree with the two of you. I enjoy the game a lot, it's fun, but it's definitely not exciting or super memorable for me right now. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I beat the fuck out of NSMB2 like two months ago. Just more of the same again.

Top Bottom