• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Davey Cakes

The game is great, but I agree that it probably will need a big refresher next time. Repeated music, worlds, and bosses are getting old (even if the execution is different).

I'm glad I opted out of NSMB2 and saved myself for U instead. Keeps the fatigue at bay.

Tom_Cody

I got this with my system but I haven't played it very much yet.

I had intentionally avoid NSMB2 in order to further enjoy this, but now I'm second guessing that decision. Any thoughts on which I should play through first? I'm sure I will play both eventually and I don't mind if one ends up getting pushed somewhere into 2013 (assuming they don't keep pumping out these 2D platformers).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got my Wii U and NSMB U today. Played it for a short while (after the ordeal that setting up the Wii U was) and my first impression was: wow! This game looks a lot better than on the screenshots. I'm genuinely surprised.
Played Boost mode with my girlfriend, it worked very well. But can you somehow play "real" two players and still have one player use the Gamepad?

Reclaimer

Got my Wii U and NSMB U today. Played it for a short while (after the ordeal that setting up the Wii U was) and my first impression was: wow! This game looks a lot better than on the screenshots. I'm genuinely surprised.
Played Boost mode with my girlfriend, it worked very well. But can you somehow play "real" two players and still have one player use the Gamepad?

Nope, 2 platforming players requires 2 Wiimotes.

In other news, the squirrel suit finally clicked and I can beat the
giant
level without touching ground ever, and getting a ton of 1ups. The Challenge mode is like a training routine for the main game, love it!

xray49er

Can somebody tell me what does it mean when there is a ballon with a mii inside it next to the current stage I am in. Thanks in advance

Berg

Can somebody tell me what does it mean when there is a ballon with a mii inside it next to the current stage I am in. Thanks in advance

If you look at the gamepad, you'll see that they wrote a message thru miiverse from that stage. When you complete a level you have the option to post a message thru miiverse, and when you do other people around the world may see it, in-game. The balloon on your tv screen is just showing you that person has wrote a message.

xray49er

If you look at the gamepad, you'll see that they wrote a message thru miiverse from that stage. When you complete a level you have the option to post a message thru miiverse, and when you do other people around the world may see it, in-game. The balloon on your tv screen is just showing you that person has wrote a message.

Thanks Thats what i thought but i couldnt get the message to pop up I thought once i touch the balloon the message would appear. i am probably just doing something wrong

Michan

I know it is not mentioned under the controllers section of the OP, but I was wondering if anybody could confirm if the Pro Controller works with this game, either in single or multiplayer?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I tapped the boost rush mode button for the first time yesterday just for the hell of it, and was shocked to see that it had a dedicated single-player option. I was like WAT!! I hadn't tried it out since I'm not having dudes over to play until tomorrow. I've beaten the game, done all sorts of challenges, and didn't even realize there was more single-player content just hiding away in there.

If there's anything this game has in spades over the other NSMB's, it's raw volume of content.

Fox Mulder

Nope, 2 platforming players requires 2 Wiimotes.

In other news, the squirrel suit finally clicked and I can beat the
giant
level without touching ground ever, and getting a ton of 1ups. The Challenge mode is like a training routine for the main game, love it!

yeah, I was having some initial trouble with the jumps feeling more floaty than the mario games I'm used to, but the challenge mode stuff helped a lot with that.

pswii60

The amazing level design is the thing that grabbed me straight away. Of course, it's a no-brainer for a 2D Mario game, but it never gets old. Only problem is I spend so much time looking for secrets and trying to get all the coins that I run out of time :(

It's all good though - I never bother spending so much time exploring levels and collecting items in any other 2D platforming game. Then again, I don't think any other 2D platforming game would ever be granted the budget of a Mario game!

In short: So far it's everything I could have wanted from a HD 2D Mario game.

chrono01

Does anyone remember the "Super Skills" videos in New Super Mario Bros. Wii? I enjoyed viewing them and watching the player run through the level as fast as they could [using the environment/enemies to their advantage], or maybe instead, showing clever tricks in how to obtain numerous 1-Ups. Regardless, they were interesting to watch, although somewhat frustrating to replicate, since you had to find that particular level/section, as well as obtain a possible power-up to assist in completing it.

That's why I love Challenge Mode in New Super Mario Bros. U so much. It essentially makes you the player in those "Super Skills" video by asking you to do the very things they did. Not only that, but they also save your Replay for that particular run so you can go back and watch what you did so you can see if there are any areas you can improve to reduce seconds off of your time. It's really quite ingenius.

I really hope Nintendo furthers/carries this idea into future Mario installments. It's immensely addicting!

I don't have a WiiU yet but I love Mario and can't wait to pick this up.

I was just watching the Giant Bomb quick look and they said if you want to play 2+ players you have to use 2+ Wii remotes. you cant use a combo of the game pad + Wii remotes.

WHY?!?!? what in the hell.

Merovin

I was just watching the Giant Bomb quick look and they said if you want to play 2+ players you have to use 2+ Wii remotes. you cant use a combo of the game pad + Wii remotes.

Really? That's depressing.

chrono01

LOL! Your avatar matches the reaction of this statement pretty well.

Yes, it's true. In multiplayer, you cannot use the Game Pad as a controller, it's used only for Boost Mode [in mutiplayer games].

...I know, I don't understand it either.

chrono01

The only time you can actually use the Game Pad to control Mario/Luigi/Toad/Mii is in single-player [only Mario is available for the story mode]. Anytime you play multiplayer, Wiimotes must be used with the Game Pad being designated as the "Boost Block" device.

Maybe Nintendo will change this with a future patch, but I'm not sure. I don't understand their reasoning behind it, honestly. o_O

The only time you can actually use the Game Pad to control Mario/Luigi/Toad/Mii is in single-player [only Mario is available for the story mode]. Anytime you play multiplayer, Wiimotes must be used with the Game Pad being designated as the "Boost Block" device.

Maybe Nintendo will change this with a future patch, but I'm not sure. I don't understand their resoning behind it, honestly. o_O

$%#@ makes no sense at all.

Gambit

Say, could I play Luigi in single-player?

I haven't seen the option yet, but admittedly I didn't have a lot of time today.

Drago

Say, could I play Luigi in single-player?

I haven't seen the option yet, but admittedly I didn't have a lot of time today.

You can use other characters in single player on all the other modes besides Story Mode.

I have no idea why they're available in everything but the main game.

Gambit

You can use other characters in single player on all the other modes besides Story Mode.

I have no idea why they're available in everything but the main game.

I agree. I don't understand it. >_<

Nope, only Mario in the story mode. You can, however, use Luigi, Toad, or your Mii characters, in the bonus modes.

Thanks you two.

A bit of a shame, since Luigi is number one.

At least I can switch in the other modes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That the U pad must be dedicated to boost mode in co-op is annoying, but I figured they did it to encourage the idea that anyone can wander over and pick it up to join in while a multiplayer game is in progress.

Which does make sense, with what they're going for there. They should have allowed players to choose whether to leave the U pad unoccupied when assigning devices for co-op is all.

I wasn't quite prepared for how incredible this game would look on my TV. The game is goddamn gorgeous, screenshots and video never did it justice. I'm also enjoying it a lot more than any other NSMB so far.

chrono01

Thanks you two.

A bit of a shame, since Luigi is number one.

At least I can switch in the other modes.
You're very welcome!

It is a bit depressing to see Luigi separated from the main story and only accessible via the bonus modes, but I guess I can kind of see their reasoning [they wanted Mario to rescue Princess Peach and be the hero in the main story], but even still... :(

Regardless, enjoy the game! If you're a fan of platformers [which I'll assume you are], I'm sure you'll have a great time. Also, be sure to check out the Miiverse posts and contribute some of your own. They really do help enrich the experience.

backlot

Just to be clear, for the absolute final last level,
you have to intervene to get the turtle shell to open the paths to the second and third coins, right? I thought my game was bugged cause it wouldn't. :p

Yeah you're supposed to find a P Switch hidden somewhere. I just used the penguin suit to get the last two coins though.

Gambit

You're very welcome!

It is a bit depressing to see Luigi separated from the main story and only accessible via the bonus modes, but I guess I can kind of see their reasoning [they wanted Mario to rescue Princess Peach and be the hero in the main story], but even still... :(

Regardless, enjoy the game! If you're a fan of platformers [which I'll assume you are], I'm sure you'll have a great time. Also, be sure to check out the Miiverse posts and contribute some of your own. They really do help enrich the experience.

Yes, it's strange how he is always pushed to the background. At least he got Daisy, I guess.

I am indeed a fan of platformers. So I am really looking forward to playing more the next few days.

chrono01

Yeah you're supposed to find a P Switch hidden somewhere. I just used the penguin suit to get the last two coins though.
I thought you had to stop/re-use the turtle shell too, but [by pure accident] I discovered the
P-Switch
. At that point, you can let the shell do the rest of the work.

Really, the final FINAL level is more of a puzzle/gimmick than anything else. I was really overcomplicating everything due to the challenge in the levels prior to it. ~_~

Edit - The location of the
P-Switch
is near the area with the second Star Coin. Just search the bricks!

goldenpp72

I have a question, i've been investing a lot of time in this game and I love it, but is there any way to tell which levels have secret exits? I really hate not being able to tell as it makes it feel like i'm missing a lot. If not, is there a good guide to just tell you what levels have them?

chrono01

I have a question, i've been investing a lot of time in this game and I love it, but is there any way to tell which levels have secret exits? I really hate not being able to tell as it makes it feel like i'm missing a lot. If not, is there a good guide to just tell you what levels have them?
Nope, there's no way to tell unfortunately. It's not like Super Mario World where the level icons are different colors depending. Your best bet is to either search every level repeatedly, or find a list [that tells you the level but not where to find it]. If you want, I can supply you with the list.

I totally love
the singing baby yoshies

That coming from someone
who hates the dancing enemies
Haha, I agree. Lakitu's Cloud also "hums" to the tune. Nice touch.

Nope, there's no way to tell unfortunately. It's not like Super Mario World where the level icons are different colors depending. Your best bet is to either search every level repeatedly, or find a list [that tells you the level but not where to find it]. If you want, I can supply you with the list.

Lakitu's cloud is adorable. I love flying on it as it hums to the music.

chrono01

Lakitu's cloud is adorable. I love flying on it as it hums to the music.
Haha, yeah. Sadly the thing doesn't last for long, so I make sure to "confiscate" another before it disappears. It was actually needed for a Star Coin in
Superstar Road
, which I definitely appreciated [unless, of course, you weren't using a P-Acorn or Boost Blocks, for SHAME!].

chrono01

So is this game harder than the Wii game? Because I've been burning through the Wii game at a rapid pace and I demands a challenge!
I've heard from many that this is quite possibly the most difficult 2D Mario [outside of Lost Levels], but honestly...I can't see it. But then, platformers have always been my "forte", so maybe that's why? I even got the Star Coins [on pretty much every level,
Superstar Road
included] my first time through. I'm not saying it's not challenging in some areas, but I don't consider it as hard as some might [since I grew up on Mario titles].

I will say, however, that if you're seeking a challenge, getting Gold in all of the Challenges will definitely flex your gaming muscle. Trust me.

RagnarokX

I agree. It also doesn't help that the bosses, worlds, and music are the same as in previous games. There are no options to turn off the music. Missing online mode to play with friends.
The bosses are the same in that they are completely different. They are the koopalings, but their attacks are all new. Ludwig was probably the hardest boss in the game. They used the old world tropes, but really there's not much more they can do with that that wouldn't amount to asthetic changes. At least the themes look really nice, this time.

goldenpp72

I'd love a list, as I like to find them on my own but don't want to hunt in levels that don't have them.

chrono01

I'd love a list, as I like to find them on my own but don't want to hunt in levels that don't have them.
Sure thing, here you go!

Tilted Tunnel - Acorn Plains
Spikes Spouting Sands - Layer-Cake Desert
Haunted Shipwreck - Sparkling Waters [Ghost House]
Swaying Ghost House - Frosted Glacier [Ghost House]
Bridge Over Poisoned Waters - Soda Jungle
Which-Way Labyrinth - Soda Jungle [Ghost House]
Painted Swampland - Soda Jungle
Deepsea Ruins - Soda Jungle
Grinding-Stone Tower - Rock-Candy Mines Tower
Walking Piranha Plants - Rock-Candy Mines
Spinning Spirit House - Meringue Clouds [Ghost House]
Meteor Moat - Peach's Castle

RagnarokX

You can tell where some of them are by looking at the map. there are places where it's obvious there is going to be a secret path.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Decided to compile a list of all the secret exits in the game as I was coming through the world map looking for what I missed for the fifth star (it turned out being the normal exit for
Soda Jungle-2
.)

Anyways, spoilers!

1. Acorn Plains-2: Tilted Tunnel (to Acorn Plains-Blooper: Blooper's Secret Lair)

2. Layer-Cake Desert-4: Spike's Spouting Sands (to Layer-Cake Desert-Ice: Piranha Plants on Ice)

3. Sparkling Waters-Ghost House: Haunted Shipwreck (to Sparkling Waters-Leaf: Skyward Stalk)

4. Frosted Glacier-Ghost House: Swaying Ghost House (to Frosted Glacier-Fliprus: Fliprus Lake)

5. Soda Jungle-2: Bridge Over Poisoned Waters (to Soda Jungle-. [to Soda Jungle-6/7])

6. Soda Jungle-Ghost House: Which Way Labyrinth (to Soda Jungle-Para-Beetle: A Flight of the Para-Beetles)

7. Soda Jungle-4: Painted Swampland (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

8. Soda Jungle-5: Deepsea Ruins (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

9. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Grinding Stone Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-6: Thrilling Spine Coaster)

10. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Screwtop Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-. [Rock-Candy Mines-Castle: Roy's Conveyor Castle, backdoor])

11. Meringue Clouds-Ghost House: Spinning Spirit House (to Meringue Clouds-Castle: Ludwig's Clockwork Castle)

12. Peach's Castle-1: Meteor Moat (to Peach's Castle-4: Firefall Cliffs)
I think that's everything, but let me know if I missed one.

I've heard from many that this is quite possibly the most difficult 2D Mario [outside of Lost Levels], but honestly...I can't see it. But then, platformers have always been my "forte", so maybe that's why? I even got the Star Coins [on pretty much every level,
Superstar Road
included] my first time through. I'm not saying it's not challenging in some areas, but I don't consider it as hard as some might [since I grew up on Mario titles].

I will say, however, that if you're seeking a challenge, getting Gold in all of the Challenges will definitely flex your gaming muscle. Trust me.

I guess it just depends from person to person. It will have to do a lot to come close to Lost Levels for me. Oh well if it isn't as challenging as I like, I can live!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, I see this one as the most challenging of the post 8-bit games. Always felt that Super Mario World was really very easy all the way through, and rarely demanded much of the player.

NSMB Wii is not a breeze like Mario World or NSMB DS. It never becomes punishing like Lost Levels.

NSMB U seems to never get harder than the Wii game's last few sets of courses. But it ramps up to that level a lot sooner, as if it's a bit more confident about how to balance the difficulty curve.

Yoshi's Island is a bit of a special case IMO. The fact that you don't "die" from most things upon getting hit results in a lot of the challenge being in threading complex environments full of a lot of enemies while losing minimal mini-stars. It also tasks the player with different kinds of challenges, such as using egg shots with good timing while under pressure from advancing enemies. It's probably no more difficult than NSMB U but feels more hectic.

I do wish we'd see the return of a level scoring system like YI. I like the idea of "stage mastery" that goes beyond just collecting three star coins. There's a fair amount you have to juggle in YI in order to perfect run the harder stages.

I'm having fun and it looks good, BUT it feels like a Wii game with us both using two Wiimotes. Bit of a disappointment that at least one of us can't use the goddamn new controller.

Seriously retarded, guys.

Personally, I see this one as the most challenging of the post 8-bit games. Always felt that Super Mario World was really very easy all the way through, and rarely demanded much of the player.

NSMB Wii is not a breeze like Mario World or NSMB DS. It never becomes punishing like Lost Levels.

NSMB U seems to never get harder than the Wii game's last few sets of courses. But it ramps up to that level a lot sooner, as if it's a bit more confident about how to balance the difficulty curve.

Yoshi's Island is a bit of a special case IMO. The fact that you don't "die" from most things upon getting hit results in a lot of the challenge being in threading complex environments full of a lot of enemies while losing minimal mini-stars. It also tasks the player with different kinds of challenges, such as using egg shots with good timing while under pressure from advancing enemies. It's probably no more difficult than NSMB U but feels more hectic.

I do wish we'd see the return of a level scoring system like YI. I like the idea of "stage mastery" that goes beyond just collecting three star coins. There's a fair amount you have to juggle in YI in order to perfect run the harder stages.

I assume you mean a new style of scoring system more tailored to 2D Mario, maybe like how fast you beat a stage combined with the amount of coins collected to add up to a scoring system, as such it would be like a less pressured coin rush, actually it would be like the scoring system a few of the 3D Sonic titles use, I wouldn't be opposed to this.
Stage mastery is certainly something worth looking into but the scavenger hunt style isn't the way i'd like to see it done here which is what I think of when Yoshi's Island's scoring system is brought up.

Top Bottom