• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

kinggroin

Banned
You could post them right here. :)

Yes in the sense of adding longevity to the game and giving me an immense feeling of satisfaction on completing them.

No in the sense that I'm fairly certain I have fewer years left to live after having played them.

Ugh...but I'd have to actually take pictures with my shit camera...

Fine. I'll get some up later.

daakusedo

Speaking of nsmb2, I'm just amazed at the amount of tricks and secrets they put in the last classics dlc pack. Playing past games levels was not especially exciting for me but by adding the nsmb2 twist it's really something.

jwhit28

Using warps makes platformers harder. The games do have a designed difficulty curve, and you miss a lot of power ups and extra lives in games like SMB3.

Dr.Hadji

Speaking of nsmb2, I'm just amazed at the amount of tricks and secrets they put in the last classics dlc pack. Playing past games levels was not especially exciting for me but by adding the nsmb2 twist it's really something.

Making secret pipes in SMB 1-1 take you to 1-2 instead of the expected bonus coin grab room or goming from SMB3 1-1 to 1-4(5?) is AWESOME. Makes me wish for even more connections across more and more levels.

Yep, it'd have to be tailored to 2D Mario.

Like: time par, coin par, all red coin sequences completed, and for style maybe hide a 1-up combo somewhere in the course that can be taken at speed.

Also could create several categories of custom goals that are tailored to a particular course type. Like: never fall behind the center of the screen on an auto-scrolling course.
This all sounds good to me, it would be nice if the red coin sequences could herald greater rewards than they actually do.
For a minute I thought I was going mad remembering a Mario platformer where he could pose for style points after bouncing off an enemy and then remembered that Super Paper Mario was the game I was thinking of.

Let's make players look for red coins, some of which look like yellow coins!
And here's the other kind of red coins that I absolutely despise, it just makes you run around grabbing everything out of sheer necessity and turns the concept into a chore.
Memories of the mole digger form and heading towards coins that may be red but end up not being red, whoops! out of time and you can't return to the transform bubble in some cases.

What initially appears to be a rather bare bones grab for nostalgia actually becomes something much more, it was great how they tied it all together and made the basic levels more interesting then they'd usually have any right to be. Plus it was free, any NSMB2 owner should jump on this.
And I never get tired of Mario games thanking me with coin letters.

Reclaimer

The crazier thing here is that NSMBU can be played entirely without motion controls while using the game pad so it seems an even better fit for Pro Controller support.

Not exactly true. There is at least 1 level required to beat the game that uses tilt.
peaches castle elevator ride

Nintendo *could* have remapped the tilt controls for that one level to something like the R/L triggers, but they didn't. No tilt control in the UPro controller = can't beat the game with that controller = controller not supported by Nintendo for NSMBU.

It sucks, and is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy for Nintendo, but its the way it is for now.

RagnarokX

Not exactly true. There is at least 1 level required to beat the game that uses tilt.
peaches castle elevator ride

Nintendo *could* have remapped the tilt controls for that one level to something like the R/L triggers, but they didn't. No tilt control in the UPro controller = can't beat the game with that controller = controller not supported by Nintendo for NSMBU.

It sucks, and is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy for Nintendo, but its the way it is for now.

You need it for an unskippable
airship
level, too. Really you need the nuance of analog control for those things, so R/L wouldn't cut it.

Downhome

In the main game, this game is posing way more of a challenge to me than any previous NSMBU game. I breezed through the others, but there is certainly something different with this one. I love it!

Davey Cakes

In the main game, this game is posing way more of a challenge to me than any previous NSMBU game. I breezed through the others, but there is certainly something different with this one. I love it!
Yeah. For me, there's literally no real consequence for dying because I have 99 lives and I'm not even finished with my fourth world yet. Even saying that, when playing these levels and going for all star coins it feels dangerous at times because of the obstacle design. Obviously there isn't anything overwhelming but I can easily see why the game is not a cakewalk for people.

I kind of create my own artificial difficulty. Voluntarily going into stages as small Mario in order to save items for when I really need them, trying to beat a level in as little tries as possible in order to not trigger the Super Guide, going for all star coins on the first try, etc.

No doubt about it, Nintendo has really upped the ante.

Koren

The beginning of the game is good, but I'm simply having a blast with the challenges at the moment. Some of them are truly hard (for gold). I even haven't been able to get gold on the second one for a couple of tenths of seconds, I've yet to understand what I'm doing badly.

RagnarokX

Yeah. For me, there's literally no real consequence for dying because I have 99 lives and I'm not even finished with my fourth world yet. Even saying that, when playing these levels and going for all star coins it feels dangerous at times because of the obstacle design. Obviously there isn't anything overwhelming but I can easily see why the game is not a cakewalk for people.

I kind of create my own artificial difficulty. Voluntarily going into stages as small Mario in order to save items for when I really need them, trying to beat a level in as little tries as possible in order to not trigger the Super Guide, going for all star coins on the first try, etc.

No doubt about it, Nintendo has really upped the ante.
Lives are a BS holdover from the arcade days, anyway. They don't increase challenge; losing all of them just makes you have to repeat stuff that wasn't challenging enough to kill you. The real challenge comes through level design. They should just get on with it and give you infinite lives.

TriGen

People also have a tendency to blame games for things that are their fault. NSMBU is not as easy game, and I would rate the challenge level to be the highest since Mario 3. The level design starts getting really good by the end of the 2nd world and keeps getting better. This game actually had me saying "holy shit" at some of the concepts; difficult star coin placement, massive enemy/obstacle barrage, insane boss fight.

I'm sure if the same people went back and played the past Mario games that they cherish they'd be dying just as little as in this game (probably less because there are no star coins to increase risk). Hell, SMW is lauded as some paragon and it is like the easiest Mario game in the franchise after NSMBDS.

Yeah, SMB3 kicked my ass as a kid even using warps and I never beat it. As an adult I whipped through every level (no warps) and beat the game.

I agree. This game has had some legit challenge, in fact, I would say trying to get all the star coins and secrets in this game has made it one of most difficult games I've bought in awhile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ugh...but I'd have to actually take pictures with my shit camera...

Fine. I'll get some up later.

I meant typing them out but I guess pics are fine too. :p

You need it for an unskippable
airship
level, too. Really you need the nuance of analog control for those things, so R/L wouldn't cut it.

I disagree, L and R could have worked, but it would have made the levels less BS/"challenging," so they didn't bother.

Also, it is complete BS that a measly two levels in the game even need motion controls. It's like, "crap, we can't let the Pro controller be supported! Let's add some motion controls for no reason!"

The easy one or the easier one?

:p

I was gonna say. XD

RagnarokX

Dude that stage was AWESOME. Don't hate :p

HtM7T.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got gold medals on the first 14 time trials, except for Penguin vs. Torpedo, which I can probably do when my thumb doesn't hurt as much. I need a turbo button or something for that level.

What's needed to 5 star the game?

1. Catch Nabbit in all 8 worlds

2. Beat the game

3. Obtain all the Star Coins in the first 8 worlds

4. Obtain all the exits

5. Obtain all the Star Coins in all the worlds

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beat the game yesterday. Funny enough we missed the secret exits in the first three worlds, but found all the rest after that. Now to comb through the stages and figure out where's what. I prefer that rather than just looking it up.

Finally beat No-Cash Dash. If I'm having trouble with these four star levels, I don't even want to begin to think about how difficult the five star ones are. x_x

Kokonoe

Banned
Ahh....I finally obtained all the Star Coins. It was challenging, but that was more of a pain than entertainment I have to say. Don't plan on doing that again, but off to
the Star World now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
THESE TORPEDO TEDS ARE TO FCKING SLOW

645 you know when those two sets of torpedo teds collide right before the level opens up at the end? In your vid, the first one coming left goes down, then the second one goes up. This keeps the Torpedo Ted in front of you at a level that makes it possible to swim under.

THIS NEVER HAPPENS FOR ME

Both Torpedo Teds ALWAYS go up. This is infuriating and is making it impossible for me to gold this one.
LLShC.gif

Ahh....I finally obtained all the Star Coins. It was challenging, but that was more of a pain than entertainment I have to say. Don't plan on doing that again, but off to
the Star World now.

If you thought that was hard...
Superstar Road has levels that have three Star Coins each, too. The second level in particular will probably seem impossible, but don't lose hope! You can do it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
645 you know when those two sets of torpedo teds collide right before the level opens up at the end? In your vid, the first one coming left goes down, then the second one goes up. This keeps the Torpedo Ted in front of you at a level that makes it possible to swim under.

THIS NEVER HAPPENS FOR ME

Both Torpedo Teds ALWAYS go up. This is infuriating and is making it impossible for me to gold this one.
Notice that I deliberately stop for a bit after the first set spawns to change the timing for the rest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Notice that I deliberately stop for a bit after the first set spawns to change the timing for the rest.

What a piece of crap time trial.

I also tried the Swampland one and I keep going faster than the appearing bricks. WTF.

Edit- Even with that I'm doing worst than my best (I'm getting 46+ comparison to my fluke best of 45.05, lol. Come on.)

Kokonoe

Banned
If you thought that was hard...
Superstar Road has levels that have three Star Coins each, too. The second level in particular will probably seem impossible, but don't lose hope! You can do it.

I ended up
using the P Emolga suit thing to get the coins there, but these levels are something fierce... Having trouble just even beating them even without collecting the coins.

Mistle

Gotta say this game is already more difficult than previous entries, and I'm only in world 2. That's pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself. I could pretty much breeze through all the others in the "New" series, but this one has already seen quite a few deaths.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I ended up
using the P Emolga suit thing to get the coins there, but these levels are something fierce... Having trouble just even beating them even without collecting the coins.

Ultra weaksauce, girl! Get some hair on your chest, you haven't really beaten it until you start as normal Mario! :p (Although it will be easier now that you don't have to get the Star Coins.)

For me, the last set of moving bricks were the worst since I never figured out the timing and usually just got lucky with them.

RagnarokX

Ultra weaksauce, girl! Get some hair on your chest, you haven't really beaten it until you start as normal Mario! :p (Although it will be easier now that you don't have to get the Star Coins.)

For me, the last set of moving bricks were the worst since I never figured out the timing and usually just got lucky with them.

You don't really have to figure out the timing. If you just nonstop run and jump when you have to you'll make it. The hardest parts are bouncing off that koopa paratroopa to hit that p switch and the part where you have to reverse on a group of moving bricks and walljump to a p switch. Great level.

Davey Cakes

The more I play this game, the more I realize that it's truly excellent. I love the way it handles non-linearity. Definitely better than the old way of using cannons. Plus, I'm enjoying the more "intense" level design. For a 2D Mario, NSMBU pulls no punches. This is probably one of the reasons why, in my opinion, it's the best one since Yoshi's Island.

Too bad that people are desensitized to NSMB though, and it's going through series fatigue. NSMBU being fourth will hurt it, unfortunately.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You don't really have to figure out the timing. If you just nonstop run and jump when you have to you'll make it. The hardest parts are bouncing off that koopa paratroopa to hit that p switch and the part where you have to reverse on a group of moving bricks and walljump to a p switch. Great level.

Well what I meant was that hitting the P Switch right before the moving bricks was always variable for me and I never landed in the right spot at the right time. Given another couple tries maybe I could have figured it out.

dock

Unf, this is so good! \( '¬' )/

Been playing on and off for a couple of days, really enjoying it. Sometimes I force myself to get all three star coins when I fancy an extra bit of challenge. I'm already looking forward to trying to get all of the star coins.

I definitely wish there were more friend list integration for scores, times, etc. for each level, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

MicH

I suck at this game. SUCK! I've already used 6 continues and just lost a bunch of progress because I didn't get to a castle in time. This savesystem sucks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They really need to patch in YouTube uploading for the challenge videos.

I suck at this game. SUCK! I've already used 6 continues and just lost a bunch of progress because I didn't get to a castle in time. This savesystem sucks.

It gets better.

RagnarokX

Well what I meant was that hitting the P Switch right before the moving bricks was always variable for me and I never landed in the right spot at the right time. Given another couple tries maybe I could have figured it out.
It doesn't matter where you land. Just run when you do and jump when you have to.

Davey Cakes

I don't particularly care for the "quick save" system either. The other day I made four levels worth of progress before doing a proper save and the power went out. If you don't beat a castle or secret level every so often, you're risking it. If you go from quick save to quick save, you can lose multiple days worth of progress if something goes wrong.

I'm not saying it's hard to eventually get a proper save at a castle or secret level, but it depends on your playstyle too. If you beat every level leading up to a castle, quick save, load the game later on, go back and complete some other levels, quick save, load later on, and somehow the power goes off unexpectedly, you're losing a ton of progress. This is a worst case scenario since I bet most people don't play this way but still, I can see the annoyance.

CLEEK

The save system in all NSMB games has always sucked. There is no reason for it, other than frustration. The fact that Nintendo eventually blesses you with the ability to save at any time after the game has been beaten once just shows how its an arbitrary punishment for the first run through.

NSMB2 really rubbed salt into the wounds. I merrily used up Star Coins on the world map to open up Toad Houses and then save afterwards. I spent them as soon as I got them. Only then at the end did I know that I should have held onto them to unlock Star World.

how do you guys farm 1ups? i suck at the cannon mini game, so what i do is i get a gold star and start the ghost mansion level and try to touch as many rats as i can, i can get 10 ups from one gold star.

Def Jukie

Jeremy Parish is drawing a cartoon after every level he beats in this game on Miiverse. If you guys want to check it out his username is Jeremy.Parish. They've been pretty good so far. He's got some other funny drawings up as well.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, I also had 99 lives by the time I beat my third world.

However, a good place to farm is the first stage of Soda Jungle. It's so easy that it makes me think they shouldn't have let big enemies split in two.

Top Bottom