• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Alchemy

Picked this up digitally despite hating the 3DS version to death, enjoying it so far. I still hate the damn New Bros physics though. Something weird with the momentum and acceleration.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A "better" save system would screw up the already-screwed-up lives system. At least right now there's at least some kind of fallout from losing lives.

Maybe it's hard for me to have sympathy though, the lowest my lives count got aside from the beginning of the game was around 22, right before
the last Superstar Road level
, which pumps your live count way back up.

I guess I'm just too good. #swag

FUCK SWIM FOR YOUR LIFE

So close to getting everything done. :(

It's a short level, you can do it. :)

Picked this up digitally despite hating the 3DS version to death, enjoying it so far. I still hate the damn New Bros physics though. Something weird with the momentum and acceleration.

It's really built around the triple jump, gives the game an awesome rhythm once you learn how to pull it off in all scenarios.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
how do you guys farm 1ups? i suck at the cannon mini game, so what i do is i get a gold star and start the ghost mansion level and try to touch as many rats as i can, i can get 10 ups from one gold star.

Jump on consecutive enemies. 9 in a row gives you a 1up and so does each one after that. As mentioned, the first level of Soda Jungle is good for this since the Giant Goombas split when jumped on, giving you more things to jump on.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ultra weaksauce, girl! Get some hair on your chest, you haven't really beaten it until you start as normal Mario! :p (Although it will be easier now that you don't have to get the Star Coins.)

For me, the last set of moving bricks were the worst since I never figured out the timing and usually just got lucky with them.

Ah, stuff like this is too hard for me. I have to keep to abuse the system just to get by!

Ranger X

Nice, I just played the first 4 worlds tonight. Missed 2 secret levels (first and second world) but got all the coins so far. I love it, the game is really good. I don't know if it's better than NSMBWii yet. At least I am seeing original stuff in pretty much all levels so far so it will be a tuff battle! The game seems easier than NSMBWii though. I hope the difficulty will ramp up.

Has anyone noticed that there's no anti-aliasing on the map?
Ofcourse :).

I wonder why though. The gameplay levels have very nice anti aliassing. Thank god.

The game (asside from the map with the apparent jaggies) looks very good on a large screen (even on a HD projector). It's a huge visual upgrade from nsmbwii imo.
Also, i'm very imprssed with the quality of the gameplay so far. This might become my favorite "2d" mario game.

watershed

Banned
I'm listening to NSMB U and SMW tracks online and its easy to hear how NSMB U music continues in the lineage of all 2d mario games behind it. Yet the music is often criticized, not just on gaf, by gamers who grew up with mario. I wonder if, as Nintendo is seemingly turning off some portion of their older fans, they are also gaining new young fans who will love mario games as long as some of us have? Is there a bit of a double edge sword effect going on here?

Edit: Question applies to all areas of the NSMB games including the graphics.

With no background in 2D mario except some old GB game that I sucked at when I was like 9, the second "world" is massacring me. I think I have to turn in my gamer license and get stripped of my moderator powers in shame.

With no background in 2D mario except some old GB game that I sucked at when I was like 9, the second "world" is massacring me. I think I have to turn in my gamer license and get stripped of my moderator powers in shame.

You should try Challenge Mode. It's a good place for beginners to get their bearings.

Kokonoe

Banned
I take it you won't be doing the challenges then. :p

I'll attempt it a few times, but if it's super hard then I may just have to pass. Oh...and
In Starroad Firebar Cliffs, I kept losing until I brought Baby Yoshi with me and kept letting Baby Yoshi take all the damage and I won!

Also used Baby Yoshi to beat that level with the fish.

Gambit

it's the star coins. They are the downfall. Once you ignore them, the levels become much easier.

Having said that, collecting the coins right away is awesome and what I aim to do.

Kokonoe

Banned
Question.

What happens if you
get all the Star Coins in Superstar Road?

I just beat all the levels and nothing happened. It took me using a Star and P Emolga Mario to beat the last level barely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Question.

What happens if you
get all the Star Coins in Superstar Road?

I just beat all the levels and nothing happened. It took me using a Star and P Emolga Mario to beat the last level barely.

Which last level do you mean?
Pendulum Castle or Follow that Shell?

A ninth SSR level should open up if you got all the Star Coins there. Beating that and getting all the Star Coins for all levels, along with all exits and Nabbits, should give you five stars on your save file with a message popping up telling you so.

Kokonoe

Banned
Which last level do you mean?
Pendulum Castle or Follow that Shell?

A ninth SSR level should open up if you got all the Star Coins there. Beating that and getting all the Star Coins for all levels, along with all exits and Nabbits, should give you five stars on your save file with a message popping up telling you so.

The 8th one. Guess I got my work cut out for me then..

Thanks.

RagnarokX

The 8th one. Guess I got my work cut out for me then..

Thanks.

You probably missed some hidden levels.

Don't worry. Some fans that have played a ton of platformers just can't tell the difference between being experienced and a game being easier than games they played when they weren't as experienced. I didn't have a hard time because I've played every Mario game, but the difficulty was definitely around Mario 3 levels with the star coins. Some of those star coins are absolutely brutal, and some of the challenges are insane.

Really enjoyed that Iggy Koopa boss fight. Really impressed with how awesome this game is, it's a shame the game has consistently been given a knock for being another NSMB, because as far as I can tell the game is pretty brilliant. It's also so damn gorgeous that it overcomes the arguably tired NSMB aesthetic. The game makes me really glad to own a Wii U.

Really enjoyed that Iggy Koopa boss fight. Really impressed with how awesome this game is, it's a shame the game has consistently been given a knock for being another NSMB, because as far as I can tell the game is pretty brilliant. It's also so damn gorgeous that it overcomes the arguably tired NSMB aesthetic. The game makes me really glad to own a Wii U.
This. I was among the more fervent detractors of this game and how people were putting it up there with SMW and SM64 before it was even out because it was "another NSMB" and I have been pleasantly surprised by it.

RagnarokX

This. I was among the more fervent detractors of this game and how people were putting it up there with SMW and SM64 before it was even out because it was "another NSMB" and I have been pleasantly surprised by it.

Well, considering that 2 out of 3 NSMB games that came out before NSMBU were better than SMW, the odds were pretty good that it would be the best 2D Mario yet :p

This game is way better than its predecessors. NSMBWii takes a while to get rolling, but this game starts out with good level design right off the bat and has a much steeper difficulty curve.

RagnarokX

Penguin Suit makes
Swim For Your Life!
a breeze. I should have use this instead of the Yoshi.

I just went through it as regular mario, picked up a fire flower in-level. Took no damage on the run I made it through on. Had this really cool moment where I was
barely swimming between the homing spiny cheep cheeps like a bullet hell. It was crazy. You can kill the urchins and cheep-chomps with fireballs.

I completely agree.

Kokonoe

Banned
How do you respawn the Yoshi babbys?

I just went through it as regular mario, picked up a fire flower in-level. Took no damage on the run I made it through on. Had this really cool moment where I was
barely swimming between the homing spiny cheep cheeps like a bullet hell. It was crazy. You can kill the urchins and cheep-chomps with fireballs.

I tried all that but I just couldn't do it haha. Good job, though.

well, i suck at the game =( this is my first 2d mario. despite me being a huge nintendo fan, i never play mario games, i only bought this game because there's nothing else to buy.

Farm them at Soda Jungle 1 (Jungle of the Giants)

At the beginning you'll see tons of Giant Goombas, simply just start jumping on them while not touching the ground, it's very easy to do since there are so many. You'll score tons of one ups, and if you don't feel like farming in the rest of the level, there is a deathpit right there so you can rinse and repeat at the beginning of the stage. Don't even bother using Squirrel Mario because normal Mario will do the job much faster and easier.

Tip: When you first jump on a Giant Goomba, go to the next Giant Goomba, and the third one. When you fall down the fourth time, repeat this step with the Goombas that are the same size. When you do it like this it makes it easier to hit them, and makes the whole process a snap.

Having a lot of fun with this so far. Only other NSMB game I've played is the DS one which I thought was completely forgettable so this is a pleasant surprise. Quite challenging but gives you loads of lives which I think is a good deal.

Fuck jumping cheep-cheeps though, nasty bastards.

Effect

Wow. I did not think I was ready for more 2D Mario until last night. I got the game from Toys R US last week on a buy one get one 40% off deal. So I took Mario and got Ninja Gaiden for the lower price. I needed something to balance out the shooting and horror in Call of Duty and ZombiU and Nintendo Land by itself wasn't doing it.

I've only been able to play a few levels but man is it fun. More fun then I thought it would be. Like others getting serious Super Mario World vibes and perhaps that's the biggest thing that has been a play in terms of me liking the game. SMW was the last Mario game that I can honestly say without any doubt I loved playing and put the most time in. I've beaten that game several times. Out of the two new games the Wii U version was the one I was interested in the most but wasn't dying to play it. Which is why it wasn't a day one purchase for me and I felt I would get it in time. Glad I got it sooner rather then later.

Woffls

I've never had this much fun with 2D Mario. I got it on Friday because UK gaf and I've not really paid any attention to ZombiU. Normally I don't have time for 2D Mario, but I found U to be consistently challenging and inventive. Too many underwater levels, though.

I'm still on the story mode picking up the rest of the star coins, and I spend most of my time looking for
secret exits
which can get a bit dull.

What I really like about this game is how small things like an out of place ledge can indicate a secret, or you'll be running through a level and spot something that looks wall jump-able and it turns out there's a secret there. It's such brilliant design.

Looking forward to doing the challenges. Sounds like they're pretty difficult. I play 2D Mario with a very cavalier attitude so I go through lives really quickly, but I've not had any continues.

Got three star coins on the one where you run a lot. Luckily it's good for 1up farming as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay.
I obtained all the Superstar Road Star Coins besides 8, and it seems like I'm going to have to sell my soul just get these.

*edit*

Guess not! I used a Star and a P Acorn and some how managed to do the level without getting hit. Awesome. Onto the last level.

Davey Cakes

Having a lot of fun with this so far. Only other NSMB game I've played is the DS one which I thought was completely forgettable so this is a pleasant surprise. Quite challenging but gives you loads of lives which I think is a good deal.

Fuck jumping cheep-cheeps though, nasty bastards.
I challenge anyone to collect all three star coins in "Over the Cheep Cheep Sea" (or whatever it's called) on the first try without losing a life. Nasty bastards indeed.

Also, I have no need for this tactic, but bringing a P-Wing into "Jungle of the Giants" means that you'll have as many 1-ups as you'll ever need. I mean, talk about game-breaking.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hey, on the bright side you can post it to Miiverse!

Under spoilers, otherwise they'll probably just take it down.

Wish I could! however I won't be getting my Game Pad back for a week or two. I had to send it in for a repair due to a defect so I've been playing via the Wiimote. Suppose I'll do that when I get my Game Pad back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wish I could! however I won't be getting my Game Pad back for a week or two. I had to send it in for a repair due to a defect so I've been playing via the Wiimote. Suppose I'll do that when I get my Game Pad back.

Wiimote? No wonder you've been using items, I can't imagine going back to waggling for the twirl. Shoulder button is a revelation.

Edit- You can still bring up the Home menu and post to Miiverse with a Wiimote you know...

I've played nothing but the first world so far.

I can't find one golden coin on the first Yoshi level. :(

Feel like a noob. I've pretty much exclusively played on the gamepad, I love that thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just got a message popped up when I got all the stars in the frozen glacier world, and my stars menu shows that world's stars total with a little golden background. But my first two worlds don't have that. Do ALL worlds have that to aim for? I can't see where on Acton plains there might be a secret exit - are they all marked in red or can't you always tell? I don't want to have to scour all the levels just in case

it's the star coins. They are the downfall. Once you ignore them, the levels become much easier.

Having said that, collecting the coins right away is awesome and what I aim to do.

haha yeah, i died countless times just trying to get those damn coins, addicting

also changed level paths if i died, i want to post on the miiverse too :p

Ranger X

I see that many people skipped New Super Mario Bros Wii.

1- This is normal because NSMB on DS, while a good game in itself, didn't please the super exigent Mario hardcore fans

2- Hurry the fuck up and buy New Super Mario Bros Wii because it's fuckgin great. That amazing feeling you have in NSMBU right now? It was like that in the Wii game. And as far as my experience goes with both games so far, the Wii game is even harder in difficulty.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just got a message popped up when I got all the stars in the frozen glacier world, and my stars menu shows that world's stars total with a little golden background. But my first two worlds don't have that. Do ALL worlds have that to aim for? I can't see where on Acton plains there might be a secret exit - are they all marked in red or can't you always tell? I don't want to have to scour all the levels just in case

Acorn Plains has a secret exit, each world does; Soda Forest has multiple. There's no indication on the overworld which ones have an exit, aside from a suspicious blank spot on the map.

If you'd like to know the number of the stage in Acorn with the secret exit, it's
1-2.

gryz

Banned
I'm listening to NSMB U and SMW tracks online and its easy to hear how NSMB U music continues in the lineage of all 2d mario games behind it. Yet the music is often criticized, not just on gaf, by gamers who grew up with mario. I wonder if, as Nintendo is seemingly turning off some portion of their older fans, they are also gaining new young fans who will love mario games as long as some of us have? Is there a bit of a double edge sword effect going on here?

Edit: Question applies to all areas of the NSMB games including the graphics.

I think there is a bit of nostalgia going on, a lot of the music in this game is still pretty similar to older titles. I don't really remember thinking "holy shit this music is amazing" while playing the original mario games as a kid, it was just the music in the game. Younger kids now will probably have equal nostalgia for the newer mario music.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I see that many people skipped New Super Mario Bros Wii.

1- This is normal because NSMB on DS, while a good game in itself, didn't please the super exigent Mario hardcore fans

2- Hurry the fuck up and buy New Super Mario Bros Wii because it's fuckgin great. That amazing feeling you have in NSMBU right now? It was like that in the Wii game. And as far as my experience goes with both games so far, the Wii game is even harder in difficulty.
NSMB Wii was incredibly good. I don't remember difficulty in that game ramping up for a while. This game has been pretty hard since like the second world. I played to the point of draining my pad twice yesterday. Game is excellent.

Top Bottom