• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Acorn Plains has a secret exit, each world does; Soda Forest has multiple. There's no indication on the overworld which ones have an exit, aside from a suspicious blank spot on the map.

If you'd like to know the number of the stage in Acorn with the secret exit, it's
1-2.

Thanks. I think I OT annoyed with NSMB2 (or 3d land, can't remember) which was the same. I'd much prefer some indication of secret exits. They and the star coins are often well hidden without making you scour every level.

Still, now I know, I can be on the lookout.

F#A#Oo

Banned
What are those Mii balloons on the world map?

Is that people on my friends list and where they are currently playing?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What are those Mii balloons on the world map?

Is that people on my friends list and where they are currently playing?

Those indicate messages on that stage node. Hit the shoulder button to go to map view mode - each balloon expands into a message someone left after competing the stage and being asked for their thoughts.

Typically you get a random chance to leave a message every time you perform a feat - like beating the level taking no damage, collecting all three star coins, or beating the level under a certain time par.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Those indicate messages on that stage node. Hit the shoulder button to go to map view mode - each balloon expands into a message someone left after competing the stage and being asked for their thoughts.

Typically you get a random chance to leave a message every time you perform a feat - like beating the level taking no damage, collecting all three star coins, or beating the level under a certain time par.

Ahhh...pretty cool! Cheers...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Current Challenge Mode Progress

Gold Medals: 35
Silver Medals: 4
Bronze Medals: 3

With several yet to play and unlock. It's gonna be a long way to 80... haven't even touched the Boost Mode ones...

I played this (and the Wii U) for the first time yesterday, just the GamePad challenges on my friend's U. Was quite a blast. It was pretty much a solid couple hours of "frustratingly awesome" moments, blaming each other for everything and failing to coordinate anything.

I think we completed 8 or so challenges. We gave up around the one where you need to run past Thwomps while collecting coins.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I like NSMB2 more than NSMBU.

I'm of two minds about NSMBU. On the one hand, the attractive graphics, consistently strong level design, and world map (with plenty of secret exits) mark it as the best of the NSMB games. On the other hand, there are so few new ideas in the main game (most of the best levels repeat elements from prior games) that I didn't enjoy my initial playthrough as much as I did with NSMBWii. Maybe I've reached the point of diminishing returns with the series. Or maybe I just need to do some multiplayer, because I remember that being a revelation with NSMBWii.

I do really like challenge mode. I haven't explored all of its features yet. I'm hoping it has some sort of "Ghost" function because competing with friends for high sores would be much more fun if I could see the record pace (sort of like at the Olympics).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maybe I've reached the point of diminishing returns with the series.

I think it's more that Nintendo needs to stop fucking recycling everything and take some more ambitious steps with the design.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I think it's more that Nintendo needs to stop fucking recycling everything and take some more ambitious steps with the design.

Truer words were never spoken on this page!

Seriously though, there's a big reason why ZombiU is my favorite launch title, with all of it's faults. It's because Nintendo is literally milking the cow dry, to the point where they've manually switched nipples numerous times! They went out into the Mario milk factory, went over to the 2D side, past the isle of "good 2D Mario", and into the glistening money machine wing of NSMB...took the machine off the utter and manually found unused nipples, to continue this NSMB thing. Granted we got one good thing out of the new nipples, a slightly better art style and that was it!

It's time for a brand new utter Nintendo, Daisy's been taped, her sister Gloria is looking prime these days, utters never been juiced once. She thinks 2D Mario should be 2D with new ideas everywhere, and we approve Nintendo. I vote for Gloria!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Personally, after being thoroughly disappointed with NSMB, therefore skipping NSMB Wii, I am now very much enjoying this one. Didn't even know NSMB2 existed to be honest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plebes with no taste in level design dissing this game...
ofe8W.gif

Fun game but hahaha, after mastering the controls for NSMBWii the past few days, now I'm having an even tougher time getting the hang of the Gamepad. Just for this, I may go grab a Wii mote so I can play with ease.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fun game but hahaha, after mastering the controls for NSMBWii the past few days, now I'm having an even tougher time getting the hang of the Gamepad. Just for this, I may go grab a Wii mote so I can play with ease.

Waggling like heck = "with ease"? o_0

ArynCrinn

Banned
Plebes with no taste in level design dissing this game...
ofe8W.gif

I think the level design is pretty decent actually, but it reuses so much it's hard to love it for the 3rd or 4th time...

That said, aside from ZombiU, 2nd best launch game by far. Having a blast with the challenge stuff atm.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Less about the waggle and more about the size. Now go back to challenges!

Got another two golds and a bronze since my last post. :)

645's original post was right, "Don't. Touch. Anything" is literally impossible. I barely managed the one before that, although I know I can do better there.

I know I COULD watch 645's video but that takes the fun out of everything, it's like a last resort lol.

Have gold medals for all the coin-based Challenges except the last *two.

Duallusion

I'm saving NSMBU for holidays but I wish Nintendo would bring back Super Mario Land-like post-game some day, with more enemies in all stages mode. I suck too much with speedruns, shadow marios and challenges.

How do I get the fifth star on my save file?

I have all Star Coins and 99 lives.

I think...

1) Beat Game
2) Beat all Stages (Worlds 1-8)
3) Get all Star Coins (Worlds 1-8)
4) Beat Star Road
5) Get all Star Coins in Star Road, find all hidden exits, and catch Nabbit in worlds 1-7.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think...

1) Beat Game
4) Beat Star Road
5) Get all Star Coins in Star Road, find all hidden exits, and catch Nabbit in worlds 1-7.

I've done all that, hmm...I wonder if I need to do the 'normal' exists in the worlds I did the 'secret' exists in? guess I'll do that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've done all that, hmm...I wonder if I need to do the 'normal' exists in the worlds I did the 'secret' exists in? guess I'll do that.

Yes.

Your save file should show 94 flags when all is said and done, and will turn golden when you've attained all of them.

Impressive! Keep going ;)

Thanks!

I might have to settle for bronzes in the hardest five starrers, but we'll see.

Waggling like heck = "with ease"? o_0

I don't get why everyone is so down on the motion controls in some games. For DKCR I can understand since I hate them too, but in games like NSMBW and SMG1+2 they feel so natural.

I think I like NSMB2 more than NSMBU.
i agree. NSMB2 felt like it had better designed levels and honesly the graphics look better in NSMB2 since NSMBU's backgrounds and foregrounds just...don't match up quite right.

Plus Coin Rush is the best thing to happen to the NSMB series.

NSMB2 > All other NSMB games. NSMBU is still very good though and the later levels are some of the best in the series of 2D platformers.

Shame that you have to collect all the Star Coins to see all the Star Worlds, guess I'm never gonna play them then. Fun game regardless. May have to try the Challenges since I'm not backtracking any for coins.

First time playing without an Internet connection.

You know how it shows the game on your tv and gamepad, is there a way to just have the game play on the pad without it mirroring on the TV, or play the game on the TV and have the gamepad display something else?

Forgot to mention in single player mode.

First time playing without an Internet connection.

You know how it shows the game on your tv and gamepad, is there a way to just have the game play on the pad without it mirroring on the TV, or play the game on the TV and have the gamepad display something else?

Forgot to mention in single player mode.
yeah this is weird to me. Why not show level progression or other info

Chopper

I think...

1) Beat Game
4) Beat Star Road
Nice. So no fucking about with golden tanookis or help blocks.

What is the benefit of the P-squirrel suit?

eternalb

Nice. So no fucking about with golden tanookis or help blocks.

What is the benefit of the P-squirrel suit?

Well, not quite. The video I posted above says using the help blocks will prevent the stars from being shiny. So not a big deal, but it's something.

P-Squirrel can fly forever by shaking the Wii Remote

Chopper

Well, not quite. The video I posted above says using the help blocks will prevent the stars from being shiny. So not a big deal, but it's something.

P-Squirrel can fly forever by shaking the Wii Remote
Oh. But if I just ignore he help blocks, I'm all good?

And is "shaking" ZR on the control pad?

Koren

Is it me or the secret exits are REALLY well hidden in this one?

Using it or hitting it? (hit one by mistake, I hope I'm safe)

Is it me or the secret exits are REALLY well hidden in this one?

Using it or hitting it? (hit one by mistake, I hope I'm safe)

They are well hidden, at least SMW let you know by the level marker if there were multiple exits or not. You still had to search but at least you knew they were there.

I hope the shine doesn't go away if it appears. I'm not going to use the Super Guide but I've had it appear because I'm speed running and that means lots of trial and error (A youtube with my silly mistakes would make for great theatre)

So very pleasantly surprised with this after the gash that was NSMB2.

HD graphics, a fun overworld + co-op with the girlfriend puts this above NSMBWii for me.

Top Bottom