• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Effect

The music is starting to bother me a little. As cute as seeing the Koopa Troopas (Green Turtles) stop and dance to the music is (makes stomping them a bit more disturbing) I wish it would stop. Or at least they'd do something else. A minor complaint though. On to world two. :)

Davey Cakes

is there any point to the shake/shoulder button spin move, except when using baby yoshi/tanooki suit?
It's really useful for jump extension. If you use it at the right time, you can get more distance out of a jump. If you complete a triple jump and do it, it gives you even more air time. Really great for hitting the top of the stage-ending pole.

Another great use is for jump correction. Sometimes if you make a miscalculation or mess up your timing, the spin can give just just enough airtime to set you back on track, whether your goal is to land on a platform or enemy. It has definitely saved me at few times.

Not a necessary move, but a subtly useful one that you'll appreciate the more you play the game.

I must admit, i wasn't very keen on NSMBU.
NSMB2 was good but the feeling of "been here before" was almost immediate - like i was tired of it before the end of the first world. I did finish the basics but wasn't highly motivated to go back and get the rest of the star coins so it was relegated to backlog.

I bought a Wii U & NSMBU just on a whim then, as i'd been thinking i wasn't going to get one at launch.. basically until the AU bargains showed up, making it worthwhile.

Now i'm just past the rocky area and heading back to the fork that leads to the ice area, and i'm starting to come around to thinking this might be the best mario ever. The challenge is far better, harder (but still fair) than any of the other mario games. The reused aspects are a shame cause they've gone to some decent length in other areas to give it it's own identity. I feel like i'll at least remember some of these levels as specifically from this game, like you do SMB3 or SMW. NSMB1,2 & Wii all kind of just blur together for me now so i'm glad this game has circumvented that somewhat.

I feel like HD has almost sold me on the art style now as well.
The characters look fantastic and are animated really nicely with personality.
For some reason, it makes me think like this style was what they had in mind when coming up with the original Mario Bros arcade game.

The secrets and their hints are better thought out than ever before and almost all of them feel really rewarding. Some of the stages even have shades of Yoshi's Island's brilliant level design. About my only complaint has already been mentioned - the map not showing which stages have secret exits! It must be by design but what their reasoning is, i have no idea.

So it's been so good that i also switched on NSMB2 and started chasing down those final star coins. Not as good but still pretty fun and i feel a bit re-invigorated on it now.

I can't quite pinpoint exactly what about U makes it better than 2 (or the others). It's not just the difficulty curve and it's not the even more abundant older game references (actually i'm glad they're running out of these!)... but there's something incredibly tight about the level design and even Mario's basic mechanics seem ever so slightly different and more enjoyable somehow.

Appleman

I'm almost at the end of the game but I feel like Nabbit hasn't shown up since like worlds two or three... don't I need to catch him more for a 100%?

Kokonoe

Banned
Couldn't post on Miiverse due to Wiimote. =( But I did it.

izfAFJX0Mk5C8.png

*edit* Found a workaround. I have to not use the games built-in thing. It may not show up as good as that, but least I can post it.

Boo Ballet and Boo Ballet encore were awesome challenges. Felt like a ninja once I got gold on both of those, now I'm unlocking even better ones..

Challenge mode = awesome!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Couldn't post on Miiverse due to Wiimote. =( But I did it.

*edit* Found a workaround. I have to not use the games built-in thing. It may not show up as good as that, but least I can post it.

What capture card do you use?

Sorry if this has already been asked several times but is there a trick to getting the Baby Yoshis to respawn on the map? As an example, I'm currently on the Rock Candy Mines and just unlocked a path to a blue baby Yoshi. Since doing that though, the blue baby doesn't seem to show up anymore in his spot in Glacier freeze world. I even tried replaying a few glacier levels and the ice fortress and that did nothing.

Also just wanted to say it's beyond irritating that levels with secret exits still aren't marked. Also annoying that adult Yoshi still can't be taken between levels. Otherwise those are my only two gripes with the game and am absolutely loving it. Also finding the main theme music a little more likable this time.

Davey Cakes

I absolutely hated NSMB for DS and Wii.

I absolutely love this game.

That's really all I have to contribute to this thread.
It's really great that NSMBU is a hit with people who did and didn't like previous games. Means that Nintendo is actually refining and improving the NSMB formula and the game's goodness isn't just some fanboy illusion.

That said, I'm surprised you HATED the Wii game but enjoy this one. I do think NSMBU is better but it doesn't feel like it's necessarily in a different league.

It's really great that NSMBU is a hit with people who did and didn't like previous games. Means that Nintendo is actually refining and improving the NSMB formula and the game's goodness isn't just some fanboy illusion.

That said, I'm surprised you HATED the Wii game but enjoy this one. I do think NSMBU is better but it doesn't feel like it's necessarily in a different league.

Wii always felt like a forced multiplayer game to me. This seems like a single player game with the option of playing with multiple players.

This game has solid level design that actually has some difficulty behind it. While the standard world themes needs to be looked at, the design ideas in each of these worlds is much better than the rest of the series from what I've seen. I also enjoy that the flying power up doesn't break the game (ala raccoon tail in 3D Land). At the end of the day, while it has some hand holding, it's a difficult game, and that's what I've missed most from 2D Mario titles.

Just did the final battle, all star coins. Still have to do star world and tackle challenge mode. According to the activity log, I have played the game for 15 hours and 59 minutes, only an hour or so of that being in challenge mode. Reviewers saying this is a five hour game are crazy.

Fabrik

Banned
Just reached the last world which looks disappointing :-(
I enjoyed the Rocky World the best so far, every levels there were very good and very Super Mario World/Yoshi's Island-like.
I'll probably give the New series a rest after this one. It's OK but too few things surprise me. The challenge are addictive and Coin Rush is exciting though!
But next time please ditch those same old tunes FFS and change the themes of the worlds!

BTW, I just found this article:
Exclusive: Koji Kondo Reveals Super Mario 64 Music Butchered, Releases Fully Realized Version:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=530

It's a joke :)

Just did the final battle, all star coins. Still have to do star world and tackle challenge mode. According to the activity log, I have played the game for 15 hours and 59 minutes, only an hour or so of that being in challenge mode. Reviewers saying this is a five hour game are crazy.

Beat the game today, but I can't find those secret levels to start working on 100% Star Coins...

Challenge mode is kinda difficult when you're trying to get all gold...but I am strangely addicted to anything speed based...it's so goooood.

Whooo got my first gold...on the Boo Ballet (Obviously I just got this and started so I haven't gotten far)...yes yes Nintendo feed more of this speed run stuff to me, I wants it all now!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't get why everyone is so down on the motion controls in some games. For DKCR I can understand since I hate them too, but in games like NSMBW and SMG1+2 they feel so natural.
In the case of waggle jump, you lose precision for no benefit whatsoever. Accidentally spin-jumping myself into a pit happened often enough in NSMBW to be irritating, and as the batteries got low you had to shake the controller harder for it to register, making it inconsistent. It was just a glaring flaw in an otherwise great game, and another example of Nintendo just having to be different for no good reason.

NSMBU is still dumb about controller options, but at least I don't have to deal with that on the gamepad in the cases when I can use it.

Ranger X

Wii always felt like a forced multiplayer game to me. This seems like a single player game with the option of playing with multiple players.

This game has solid level design that actually has some difficulty behind it. While the standard world themes needs to be looked at, the design ideas in each of these worlds is much better than the rest of the series from what I've seen. I also enjoy that the flying power up doesn't break the game (ala raccoon tail in 3D Land). At the end of the day, while it has some hand holding, it's a difficult game, and that's what I've missed most from 2D Mario titles.

Have you played like the first world of NSMBWii only? NSMBU's first world appeared a bit better to me. But the rest of the Wii game is top notch level design and it really isn't a forced multiplayer game, it's the same thing as NSMBU. Actually, having played both, the Wii game is a bit harder actually. Also, each level in NSMBWii is distinct and with its own particularity (or gimmick) and in MANY levels there was even gameplay I've never seen in any platformer ever --- I am a platformer freak, I play like all of them. There's a bit of stuff repeating in NSMBU but I'm still impressed they could come up with good new ideas. Both games are great, your perception of the Wii game seems all kinds of wrong. You sound like someone that dissed the game after 2-3 levels in the first world. The game really is an amazing single player experience or 2 players, just like NSMBU. I hope you'd play it sometimes because really, you seem to have no idea what you're missing. You're not alone in this thread though. Its like everybody on GAF skipped NSMBWii or something. lol

Have you played like the first world of NSMBWii only? NSMBU's first world appeared a bit better to me. But the rest of the Wii game is top notch level design and it really isn't a forced multiplayer game, it's the same thing as NSMBU. Actually, having played both, the Wii game is a bit harder actually. Also, each level in NSMBWii is distinct and with its own particularity (or gimmick) and in MANY levels there was even gameplay I've never seen in any platformer ever --- I am a platformer freak, I play like all of them. There's a bit of stuff repeating in NSMBU but I'm still impressed they could come up with good new ideas. Both games are great, your perception of the Wii game seems all kinds of wrong. You sound like someone that dissed the game after 2-3 levels in the first world. The game really is an amazing single player experience or 2 players, just like NSMBU. I hope you'd play it sometimes because really, you seem to have no idea what you're missing. You're not alone in this thread though. Its like everybody on GAF skipped NSMBWii or something. lol

NSMBWii(outside the last 2 worlds)
Difficult

Pick one.

and I really liked that game

Ranger X

NSMBWii(outside the last 2 worlds)
Difficult

Pick one.

and I really liked that game

Oh, I meant difficult "for a Mario game". I find NSMBWii to be harder than other 2D Marios.
So far I've been kicking NSMBU in the nuts for some reason. I lost some 5-10 lives in only one level so far (flying fishes level in the water world) otherwise it was a piece of cake. Maybe NSMBWii gave me some skill/pratice, that's a possibility.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This game is brutal. I'm finding it really challenging, which is a nice change - though I am going obsessively for every gold coin. I must suck at platformers :p

LOCK

Beat the game, and almost complete. I'm addicted. This is the best SMB since SMW.

Now Nintendo just needs to announce DLC, and I will so totally buy it.

Zero148

This game is brutal. I'm finding it really challenging, which is a nice change - though I am going obsessively for every gold coin. I must suck at platformers :p

I'm also dying quite often in this game, rushed through NSMB2 as it was nothing. This is definetly much more difficult

Davey Cakes

I definitely don't remember the Wii game being harder. I think it took me a bit longer to hit 99 lives but it was at most on the level of NSMBU. But even after all of my experience with Mario games I'm finding NSMBU's stages to be less forgiving.

Having not played all of NSMBU, though, I'm not sure where it tops out. NSMB Wii's World 9 was definitely a good challenge for a Mario game, and I'm not at a point to say if the new game has hit that level yet, but five worlds in and it's certainly ramping up to that point much more quickly.

Ranger X

I definitely don't remember the Wii game being harder. I think it took me a bit longer to hit 99 lives but it was at most on the level of NSMBU. But even after all of my experience with Mario games I'm finding NSMBU's stages to be less forgiving.

Having not played all of NSMBU, though, I'm not sure where it tops out. NSMB Wii's World 9 was definitely a good challenge for a Mario game, and I'm not at a point to say if the new game has hit that level yet, but five worlds in and it's certainly ramping up to that point much more quickly.

I am at the same point than you in the game so I can't have a definitive opinion on the difficulty level. But so far, I find NSMBU easier for some reason. I litterally breezed through the first 4 worlds (while collecting all the coins that were actually easier to find) while I remember missing 2-3 coins per world in the Wii game + dying as early as the snow world. But well, this isn't science anyways.

I actually should play both at the same time. Looks like it could be a tuff call to see which of the 2 games I prefer. Right now NSMBWii is my fav 2D Mario ever but still, NSMBU is starting REALLY GOOD so everything is up in the air! Anyways, I am so happy to play TWO mighty excellent Mario games in a short time, just like with SMB3 and World. I thought I'd never live through such a thing again in the futur --- I WAS WRONG! :)

I am glad wii u doesn't have an achievement system, because one would probably be "beat swim for your life without taking damage" and I would cry.

Reclaimer

Beat the game, working on the last handful of Star Coins. Very much enjoying it!

Can someone teach me how to use the twirl? Is it only for getting a higher bounce off of an enemy killed with the twirl? I just don't understand it,so I don't use it, and that feels weird. Help!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I am glad wii u doesn't have an achievement system, because one would probably be "beat swim for your life without taking damage" and I would cry.

Save file stars and challenge medals are basically in-game, non-easily-shareable achievements.

Kokonoe

Banned
Beat the game, working on the last handful of Star Coins. Very much enjoying it!

Can someone teach me how to use the twirl? Is it only for getting a higher bounce off of an enemy killed with the twirl? I just don't understand it,so I don't use it, and that feels weird. Help!

It's used for extending the range of your jump. If you do it around the half way point or near beginning of your jump, you will jump even further in length. It's very useful in that regard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Swim for Your Life got you guys? For me it was easily Run for It, and by a very large margin. The rest of SSR wasn't so bad; Swim for Your Life in particular isn't even that long.

Twirl just lets you stay in the air half a second longer. The two most useful applications are:

1. Being in mid-air and needing another second to reorient yourself to land where you want, say on an enemy instead of right in front of them.

2. Go a little farther when running at full speed. For example, there are several flagpoles that you can only "top" and get a 1up from if you use the twirl at (around) the last moment.

The twirl also cancels most of your momentum, so if you're running forward and an enemy comes out of nowhere, you can jump and twirl while pressing the opposite direction to not run into them. Otherwise, your momentum could still carry you mid-air into the enemy, even when pressing the opposite direction.

Twirl is also good for forcing Mario to go slightly horizontal and cancel his vertical momentum.

Really good when, for example, you need to jump between two pincering Piranha plants.

Run for It was my worst level. SSR got progressively easier though, something in my brain kicked in that ramped up my Mario playing i guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Twirl is also good for forcing Mario to go slightly horizontal and cancel his vertical momentum.

Really good when, for example, you need to jump between two pincering Piranha plants.

Ah yeah, that's probably the most advanced use of it, I've only really started using it that way myself. I think it was most helpful in Rickity Sprint (Time Attack Challenge) for running without stopping in between the two opposite vertical Piranha Plants with like, one small-Mario block of space between them.

Is that the level you were referencing? :p

Run for It was my worst level. SSR got progressively easier though, something in my brain kicked in that ramped up my Mario playing i guess.

Same for me, and same for NSMB Wii now that I think about it. Only 9-4 and 9-7 in that game really drove me up a wall.

I lost 30 lives on Run For It. Pendulum Castle became way easier when I realized you could run under those things and did not have to ride a block down and then jump up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
30 sounds about right, maybe I lost 40-50... hard to tell since the coins in the level give you a 1up every so often. I know I went from 50 something to about 22.

I'm curious what everyone's take is on the physics in this game compared to previous NSMB titles. NSMB2 was the first one where the controls actually felt as on point as the classic sprite based Mario games imo. I was surprised at how much it improved my opinion of the series in spite of the familiarity of the themes and assets. There's a sense of inertia that just feels "right", which is something I've generally found lacking in recent Mario games. Where would you say NSMB U falls in line compared to the others in this regard?

Kokonoe

Banned
Few differences I've noticed from Wii to U.

Ice a lot more slippery in U.
Bouncing on Giant Wigglers is more difficult to control in U.
Twirl in U is more potent.

More or less they are almost identical with subtle differences.

Top Bottom