• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm curious what everyone's take is on the physics in this game compared to previous NSMB titles.
I don't notice a difference. Haven't played NSMB2 yet.

Honestly though, it's hard for me to really notice a difference between any of the games in the series unless I'm playing them back to back. Except for Luigi in LL; he has ice shoes in that game.

Medalion

Banned
Few differences I've noticed from Wii to U.

Ice a lot more slippery in U.
Bouncing on Giant Wigglers is more difficult to control in U.
Twirl in U is more potent.

More or less they are almost identical with subtle differences.

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed about the Ice... never had so much difficulty than in this Ice World they have in thsi game

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The ice is more similar to older Mario games. I remember finding it strange having so much control when on ice in NSMBW.

I found quicksand to be much much quicker and stronger in NSMBU :X

I like the Flying Squirrel suit, which so far I've found to be much more useful than the Propeller Cap. Even with that advantage, I still find NSMBU to be pretty hard. Flight of the Para-Beetles was a rather frustrating level.

trinest

The game is SO FUCKING HARD.

Died like 3 times already. Annoyed that saving does nothing and when you die you go back to when the game last saved instead of your quick save spot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Died like 3 times already. Annoyed that saving does nothing and when you die you go back to when the game last saved instead of your quick save spot.

Isn't that only when you run out of lives? (AKA continue?)

Quick Saving ensures you can walk away from the game at any time and pick up where you left off later. Otherwise, the lives system gets totally FUBARed and dying has literally no consequences, as opposed to right now where it's only of very little consequence.

trinest

Quick Saving ensures you can walk away from the game at any time and pick up where you left off later. Otherwise, the lives system gets totally FUBARed and dying has literally no consequences, as opposed to right now where it's only of very little consequence.

I'm sick of loosing 3 levels to dying. Wish quick save could allow me to save those levels.

It's annoying and turning me off the game.

Only if it were to autosave. Otherwise, it would be entirely up to the player how often they want to save and how risky/interesting they want to make things. That would be the best way to handle it, IMO--simply give players the choice, and let them go with whatever fits their playstyle/what they care about. Personally, I don't care about this sense of "consequence" at all (part of why I loved Rayman Origins), and I absolutely abhor losing progress and having to clear levels I already finished again if I game over (it hasn't happened to me yet in NSMBU, but with how I'm doing... it's probably inevitable), so letting me save whenever would be greatly appreciated--3D Land did it (well, it autosaved, but still), and the world didn't fall apart or anything, so I wish Nintendo would adopt the same thing to the NSMB series, myself.

-TK-

I'm sick of loosing 3 levels to dying. Wish quick save could allow me to save those levels.

What? God no. Players like you are the reason why everyone game is so easy nowadays and has auto saves in every 5 seconds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Blue baby Yoshi fucking sucks.

I remember times, when you had to start the games anew when this happened. No save points back then.

Gamers these days are spoiled little brats.

trinest

I remember times, when you had to start the games anew when this happened. No save points back then.

Gamers these days are spoiled little brats.

It's not my fault, I thought we progressed to a point were people do good game design. I guess I was wrong.

(also old games were much more fun, and thus you could put up with the systems limitations easier, these days theres no such limitations, so it should be a feature).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually, he blows.

aN9IW.gif

The challenge level for him was pretty aggravating, but thankfully short.

It's not my fault, I thought we progressed to a point were people do good game design. I guess I was wrong.
Actually it's a lot easier to get far into the game with the 1-Ups provided in Mario U than in older games like Super Mario World, and don't get me started on the original Super Mario Bros or Mario Bros 3.

I feel like you get power ups every screen on Mario U. It's almost annoyingly easy compared to older games.

So what are you complaining about?

(also old games were much more fun, and thus you could put up with the systems limitations easier, these days theres no such limitations, so it should be a feature).

No, they were not more fun, you just changed and grew older.

Actually I am happy about this little "threshold" that you need to pass by.
This game would have no sense of achievement, if you could quicksave all the time.

Be thankful for this, instead of lamenting about it.

I'm surprised people lost all their lives in this game anyway. I'm not a Mario pro (I haven't even played Mario Bros. 1-3) but I had about 70 lives at the end and didn't game over once.

Grampasso

TBH I usually day because I lose too much time the first times I explore a level to find the 3 coins or secret exits... and that's all :p

I'm surprised people lost all their lives in this game anyway. I'm not a Mario pro (I haven't even played Mario Bros. 1-3) but I had about 70 lives at the end and didn't game over once.
There is no real need to game over when you stay focussed. But searching for coins in the wrong place when you're tired can do that, trust me :p

Ranger X

Was 99 lives by the end of the second world...
I wasn't looking or them but I was grabbing all the special coins though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nabbit is awesome :)

nabbit gives me a reason to have the star item in my item bar. They're pretty useless in normal levels, but perfect for fast nabbit runs.

game isn't that difficult just sauntering through the levels, but getting all secret exits and golden coins is definitely challenging.

y2dvd

I'm glad to hear how difficult this game is. Huge reason why the DS version was a letdown. Makes me want to pick up a WiiU just for this game...

All Baby Yoshis eat Cheep Cheeps and other underwater creatures, and can propel you at incredible speeds. They eat BOOS for BREAKFAST. You can't say that these godforsaken beasts suck, no matter the color.
They all also offset the terrible Wah Wahs with their awesome singing.

ksamedi

I'm really enojoying this title. Best Mario since World and SMB3. They perfected the controls and level design. I don't think they can make it any more better with the NSMB formula. Its perfect, really.

What I really am enjoying at the moment is playing this coop with my girlfriend. She is not a skilled gamer and isn't really good at Mario but the boostmode Gamepad Wiimote combo makes for some brilliant multiplayer gaming. It makes this console a true social experience, which I have been missing even in the Wii. Its fun to experiment what kind of effect tapping stuff has in the game, its not only placing blocks, but also disrupting enemies, finding secret exits and stopping projectiles. Its still challenging, even in boostmode, and that is fine. The fact that casual players can jump in and have as much fun as you is brilliant. I would really love to see a Zelda with this type of coop.

The future is bright for the WiiU.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I feel like you get power ups every screen on Mario U. It's almost annoyingly easy compared to older games.

Depends on your definition of hard though, it's unlikely most players will get game overs, but it does require a modicrum of skill to pass almost all the levels, definitely more so from World 3+.

Reclaimer

Twirl just lets you stay in the air half a second longer. The two most useful applications are:

1. Being in mid-air and needing another second to reorient yourself to land where you want, say on an enemy instead of right in front of them.

2. Go a little farther when running at full speed. For example, there are several flagpoles that you can only "top" and get a 1up from if you use the twirl at (around) the last moment.

The twirl also cancels most of your momentum, so if you're running forward and an enemy comes out of nowhere, you can jump and twirl while pressing the opposite direction to not run into them. Otherwise, your momentum could still carry you mid-air into the enemy, even when pressing the opposite direction.

Thanks!

Really weird... I'm liking this game more and more since I beat bowser ("the game"), and I'm still finding little intricacies to the level design and controls that just make it all sweeter.

Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country Returns were my sidescrolling platformer favorites this side of Yoshi's Island. I think NSMBU is going to make that list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Soda jungle gets pretty tricky. And the secret exits from different worlds are starting to confuse me, they go all over the place

Edit: finished with all gold coins. Yay!

RagnarokX

The ice is more similar to older Mario games. I remember finding it strange having so much control when on ice in NSMBW.

I'm pretty sure the ice was just as slippery in NSMBWii. Part of the point of the penguin suit was that it gives Mario perfect traction on ice.

Hi guys, just beat the game today. Best 2D Mario since de SNES era.

I'm starting to get all star coins and in the first world I have all of them except for that
squirrel level that appears on the star coin progress

Do any of you guys know how I get there?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hi guys, just beat the game today. Best 2D Mario since de SNES era.

I'm starting to get all star coins and in the first world I have all of them except for that
squirrel level that appears on the star coin progress

Do any of you guys know how I get there?

Which level?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Those of you saying this is better that NSMBWii are making me want to go out and buy a wii-u, what's the consensus here?, is it really better than NSMBWii or rather simliar but the HD gfx help impressive a little more?

Granted I've only watched videos but I'm not seeing what makes NSMB-U a lot better than NSMBWii, it seems to be more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I loved NSMBWii.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Those of you saying this is better that NSMBWii are making me want to go out and buy a wii-u, what's the consensus here?, is it really better than NSMBWii or rather simliar but the HD gfx help impressive a little more?

Granted I've only watched videos but I'm not seeing what makes NSMB-U a lot better than NSMBWii, it seems to be more of the same which is necessarily a bad thing as I loved NSMBWii.

On the surface it's more of the same (graphics/music/mechanics), but the level design is even greater and there's a better difficulty curve. Also, Challenge Mode is pretty hardcore.

Deku Tree

Blue baby Yoshi fucking sucks.

No way. I have never had a "game over" screen once in NSMBU and it is all because of Blue baby Yoshi.

When ever I get low on lives, I go back to Frosted Glacier, pick up Blue Yoshi and play a few levels. His bubbles turn bad guys into 1-ups quite frequently.

I can collect 20+ lives very quickly all because of Blue baby Yoshi. Love BBY !!!

Kokonoe

Banned

Granted I've only watched videos but I'm not seeing what makes NSMB-U a lot better than NSMBWii, it seems to be more of the same which is necessarily a bad thing as I loved NSMBWii.

It's the same game just with new level layouts(I myself wouldn't say it's either better or worse), HD graphics, Baby Yoshis, Emolga(Squirrel) Mario and Challenge modes now.

I mean you could prefer either game, the only thing that really sets it away from Wii is HD and better graphics.

Two screenshots of NSMBU

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Granted I've only watched videos but I'm not seeing what makes NSMB-U a lot better than NSMBWii, it seems to be more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I loved NSMBWii.
The main campaign pretty much is more of the same.

On the surface it's more of the same (graphics/music/mechanics), but the level design is even greater and there's a better difficulty curve. Also, Challenge Mode is pretty hardcore.
Yup. If nothing else, I would say the game's practically worth it just for Challenge Mode. I mean, just look at this for instance (if the timestamp doesn't work, skip to the 48 minute mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9Tf4WvCLgOs#t=2890s

But yeah, it's definitely worth checking out, IMO. Sure, the main game might be mostly more of the same, but even so, putting aside my earlier complaint, I'm still enjoying the main game more than any of the other NSMB games and it's definitely going to wind up as my favorite of the four. The level design is great and the difficulty definitely picks up faster than in the other games, so really, it's actually been fairly simple for me to actually push the saminess out of my mind. It's true, but it really hasn't had an effect on my enjoyment of it at all.

Plus again, Challenge Mode (this time, 32 minutes in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9Tf4WvCLgOs#t=1929s

Definitely worth checking out, IMO.

RagnarokX

It's the same game just with new level layouts(I myself wouldn't say it's either better or worse), HD graphics, Baby Yoshis, Emolga(Squirrel) Mario and Challenge modes now.

I mean you could prefer either game, the only thing that really sets it away from Wii is HD and better graphics.

Two screenshots of NSMBU

You know, it's really annoying when people say it's the same game, just everything is different but the music and artstyle sorta! The levels are the stars of a Mario game and they're all new and much better. No level-headed person would consider NSMBWii and NSMBU a draw.

The level design is really top-notch here. Whereas NSMBWii's difficulty didn't ramp up to acceptable levels until around half way, NSMBU level design starts out much stronger and gets really good by the end of the 2nd world. Definitely the best 2D Mario ever made.

Bog

Junior Ace
I hate when people say how easy it is and that they've finished the game, then they say they haven't bothered to collect the coins. You basically don't see the magic of the level designs if you skip the coins.

Kokonoe

Banned
You know, it's really annoying when people say it's the same game, just everything is different but the music and artstyle sorta! The levels are the stars of a Mario game and they're all new and much better.

The level design is really top-notch here. Whereas NSMBWii's difficulty didn't ramp up to acceptable levels until around half way, NSMBU level design starts out much stronger and gets really good by the end of the 2nd world. Definitely the best 2D Mario ever made.

When I say game, I'm referring to the engine. It's not a Super Mario 3 -> to World or Mario 64 -> to Galaxy type of difference. It's a separate game, but it's still the same in that regard with minor differences.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hate when people say how easy it is and that they've finished the game, then they say they haven't bothered to collect the coins. You basically don't see the magic of the level designs if you skip the coins.

Ditto if you skip the time attacks.

You don't get a sense for how perfectly every element is placed in a given level until they ask you to beat it without stopping.

RagnarokX

When I say game, I'm referring to the engine. It's not a Super Mario 3 -> to World or Mario 64 -> to Galaxy type of difference. It's a separate game, but it's still the same in that regard with minor differences.

Yes, they standardized the engine. Sequels using the same engine is really really unimportant. The actual substance of the game is what matters.

Ditto if you skip the time attacks.

You don't get a sense for how perfectly every element is placed in a given level until they ask you to beat it without stopping.

What made me smile was discovering stuff they put in levels just for the speed runs. Like I found a hidden tunnel in poison swamp; didn't contain anything worthwhile. What's the point. Then I play the poison swamp speed run and it makes sense; it's a way to get through the level without having to stop.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yes, they standardized the engine. Sequels using the same engine is really really unimportant. The actual substance of the game is what matters.

Well in also that regard I personally don't feel either one really gimps the other by comparison. There are things and designs out of both games that I think topples the other, but I personally can't say it's a huge difference in quality apart from the graphics which have taken a step up from a lot of the bland stuff in Wii.

I recently started playing Wii after I collected everything there is in the story mode to see for myself once more.

Has nobody mentioned the difference in hitboxes? In other Mario games I can approach a paratroopa from below contacting him at his eye level, which would damage the enemy and give Mario a boost. But in Mario U they totally changed how Mario contacts enemies on a jump approach. In this same instance he gets injured every time. It makes speed running not nearly as fluid. I don't like it.

Davey Cakes

The "substance" of NSMBU is superior to that of NSMBWii. That's not a bad way to put it.

I mean, it's not really "night and day" or anything but it feels less like they held back for this one. The game has a great balance and is the best NSMB for veterans, definitely.

I think it's totally fair to call the game mostly identical to NSMBWii. Only the really discerning will notice the differences.

But goddamn do I feel discerning.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also, I've been having tons of fun tearing through the special challenges, even the more difficult ones.
"Beat the level without touching the ground," "Dodge the fireballs," "Beat in mini form," etc.

My least favorites are probably the coin ones since a lot of them are mostly guesswork until you figure out the most optimal way. Although, I really love the coinless ones. Those are fun, if sometimes frustrating.

Time trials are hit or miss for me, usually they leave me frustrated... until I beat them.

1up ones are usually fun, especially that
star run
one.

I wouldn't say unimportant, but it doesn't matter as much as level design.

I think it's totally fair to call the game mostly identical to NSMBWii. Only the really discerning will notice the differences.

But goddamn do I feel discerning.

It just doesn't feel fresh, which is the real offense here. Nintendo had the perfect opportunity to really show us what an ambitious Mario game would look like in HD.

Top Bottom