• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It just doesn't feel fresh, which is the real offense here. Nintendo had the perfect opportunity to really show us what an ambitious Mario game would look like in HD.

The odds of that happening for a launch title are close to nil, this is Nintendo + HD. Better get used to everything good taking forever and everything not being pumped out quicker than an eShop-only cashin.

I'd be surprised if HD 3D Mario, Metroid, Zelda, or Smash make 2013. I'm pretty sure they're all going to be 2014/15/16 (though I'd love to be wrong.)

It just doesn't feel fresh, which is the real offense here. Nintendo had the perfect opportunity to really show us what an ambitious Mario game would look like in HD.

I don't know that it was the perfect opportunity. The reality of hardware development and launch games means that stuff has to get compromised, which was not the case when they got delay a launch by a year or two to continue iterating on it internally. If you assume that the lesson they learned from the 3DS is that a system had to launch with a Mario game (which I believe Iwata has outright said), which made more sense, a sub-par Galaxy or a good NSMB?

That said, yes, it does not feel fresh. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

RagnarokX

The odds of that happening for a launch title are close to nil, this is Nintendo + HD. Better get used to everything good taking forever and everything not being pumped out quicker than an eShop-only cashin.

But this is good. And you're nuts if you think they are going to do a major engine change in part of a series. If they were going to do something like that they'd create a new series and emphasize that it's not the same so they don't piss off consumers expecting something similar to what they bought before. You don't think SMB USA being so different wasn't a turn off to a lot of people? Some people, myself included, consider SMW to be a step backwards from SMB3; the level design was more open, the game was less challenging, the levels were bigger but there were fewer of them. To me, SMW feels hollower compared to SMB3, like I get less out of it. I love yoshi, and the game is great, but SMB3 is just better designed.

Has nobody mentioned the difference in hitboxes? In other Mario games I can approach a paratroopa from below contacting him at his eye level, which would damage the enemy and give Mario a boost. But in Mario U they totally changed how Mario contacts enemies on a jump approach. In this same instance he gets injured every time. It makes speed running not nearly as fluid. I don't like it.

I noticed that the hit boxes are way tighter than any Mario in memory. Hitting those
?walruses?seals?
seems to be specially tricky.

The challenges are pretty brutal. I can't figure out how to get gold on Full Speed Ahead. 30.83 is my best but I don't know what's slowing me down D:

RagnarokX

I noticed that the hit boxes are way tighter than any Mario in memory. Hitting those
?walruses?seals?
seems to be specially tricky.

Their name is in the name of the level. Flipruses. If you jump too early, spin to augment your jump.

The challenges are pretty brutal. I can't figure out how to get gold on Full Speed Ahead. 30.83 is my best but I don't know what's slowing me down D:

My best time on that is 29.69.

The trick is to slide on every downward slope you can, jump over all upward slopes, and hit forward spinning ground.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Take the lower path. Slide on the slopes and jump over the inclines.

I've gotten 29.76 on it.

You absolutely have to avoid running up slopes and make sure to slide down them.

I've beaten this time by over a second since then, but here's a video I took of a Gold run.

Over a second?! Upload that vid now!

RagnarokX

Take the lower path. Slide on the slopes and jump over the inclines.

I've gotten 29.76 on it.

Over a second?! Upload that vid now!

He beat 30.83 by over a second. You beat 30.83 by over a second. Your time is faster than Alberto's. Mine is faster than yours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He beat 30.83 by over a second. You beat 30.83 by over a second. Your time is faster than Alberto's. Mine is faster than yours.

Oh I thought he meant his old time, I was like WTF how's that possible? XD

I'll beat your time soon, don't you worry.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Having finished the story (but not gotten all star coins yet), and thought about it for a few days, my feeling at the moment is this:

1. Yoshi's Island is still their best platformer, and in hindsight / modern framework YI is practically "Galaxy in 2D".

2. Having fiddled with SMB3 and World recently, I probably like NSMBU better than them, overall. It's definitely better than World, but arguable that a lot of the classic courses in SMB3 are top-tier 2D Mario. But U obviously can do a lot more with creative stage elements and bigger, splashier ideas. It is a tradeoff.

3. The refreshed world themes are enough for me; most of them feel different enough from NSMB Wii. Sparkling Waters is the one that feels the least improved thematically.

4. World 8 / Peach's Castle was a disappointment. It's surprisingly short, as if to balance how big some of the other worlds are. They could have done a lot more with a "Mushroom Kingdom under siege" theme.

5. Having said that, the payoff of the final boss fight does make up for it. A spectacular boss IMO, and yes, visually the most impressive sequence in the whole game.

Overall, I'm really happy with it, do think it's the best NSMB game, feel it's better than Mario World in every way except music. As far as music goes, I don't hate bah-bah. And in fact, I think the new Acorn Fields theme and the atheletic version of it are really good. Best music in the NSMB series. But I do wish they'd have made new music for worlds like Sparkling Waters, regardless of whether it had bah-bah or not. And a new castle theme.

As a launch game, it's more than big and meaty enough with much better content than typically seen in launch games (that aren't ports or upgrades from a previously existing game). So overall, I would say mission accomplished for returning to the standard of launching a Nintendo system with a quality Mario game.

RagnarokX

Oh I thought he meant his old time, I was like WTF how's that possible? XD

I'll beat your time soon, don't you worry.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JpTVNQm3M.

Fastest I've seen on youtube got it down to 29.55 or something.

Edit: actually, I just tried it again and got it down to 29.62! :p

I had no idea you could slide into enemies like that! I hate myself so much.

Seriously? That's been a series staple since SMB3.

Has nobody mentioned the difference in hitboxes? In other Mario games I can approach a paratroopa from below contacting him at his eye level, which would damage the enemy and give Mario a boost. But in Mario U they totally changed how Mario contacts enemies on a jump approach. In this same instance he gets injured every time. It makes speed running not nearly as fluid. I don't like it.

I've kind of noticed this too. The hit boxes for stuff seem to be a lot bigger at times and I find myself dying a lot more since I too am just speed running through stages because it's so fun but man, I need to stock up on lives now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The hitboxes are a little weird. They're obviously not rectangular, however they're not 100% of the character model either (you can see this when jumping on giant enemies, you overlap them a bit if you don't jump on them completely centered.)

Having said that, the payoff of the final boss fight does make up for it. A spectacular boss IMO, and yes, visually the most impressive sequence in the whole game.

Final boss was good, but that was one area where I would have been happier with them directly copying NSMBWii. I like platformer bosses that actually involve platforming.

Overall, I'm really happy with it, do think it's the best NSMB game, feel it's better than Mario World in every way except music. As far as music goes, I don't hate bah-bah. And in fact, I think the new Acorn Fields theme and the atheletic version of it are really good. Best music in the NSMB series. But I do wish they'd have made new music for worlds like Sparkling Waters, regardless of whether it had bah-bah or not. And a new castle theme.

I feel like it's a problem that the music is so forgettable. When I think about why I have such vivid memories of SMW, the main reason is probably that I was a little kid when it came out, but it seems like the strong association of music and art to go with the game had a lot to do with it too.

I've kind of noticed this too. The hit boxes for stuff seem to be a lot bigger at times and I find myself dying a lot more since I too am just speed running through stages because it's so fun but man, I need to stock up on lives now.

I have had some trouble figuring out the hit boxes in NSMBU, but I haven't been scientific enough with them yet to pin down what's changed. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Davey Cakes

I feel like it's a problem that the music is so forgettable. When I think about why I have such vivid memories of SMW, the main reason is probably that I was a little kid when it came out, but it seems like the strong association of music and art to go with the game had a lot to do with it too.
As much as I think the music is somewhat underwhelming, I don't think it's really forgettable. The main theme especially is quite memorable, though I guess some people would prefer to keep it out of their heads with all the "bahs" and not.

Overall the soundtrack is catchy enough that it "sticks." It's not the best it could (not even close) but I definitely wouldn't call it forgettable.

Def Jukie

Finished this last night. I pretty much agree with everything Kaijima had to say about it. It's easily the best in the NSMB series and is in the same league as 3 and World for me.

Are there no shiny stars in this game on the save file? Mine have sort of a gleam every few seconds but no sparkle like in the previous few games.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Loving the remixed underground music on the submerged water level. In Soda Jungle, I think. Reminds me of that awesome Brinstar remix in Prime 2.

I think it's totally fair to call the game mostly identical to NSMBWii. Only the really discerning will notice the differences.

But goddamn do I feel discerning.

That's not fair at all.

Medal Challenges alone alter the overall package immensely. My girlfriend hasn't even started a save file, she just plays challenges for an hour or two every night.

On another topic, are there shiny save file stars? I died one too many times in the last stage and saw the green ! block. I didn't use it but the start I got on my file was just a solid gold, no sparkle. I went back and replayed the stage, beat it the first attempt, still just a solid gold no sparkle.

Do I have to replay the entire game?

How do I get 5 stars? I did all stages and found all coins. I also saw the superguide block a couple of times (didn't use it) and also took that P-nut thing once, I believe - am I fucked?

Het_Nkik

How do I get 5 stars? I did all stages and found all coins. I also saw the superguide block a couple of times (didn't use it) and also took that P-nut thing once, I believe - am I fucked?

Did you catch the Nabbit in every world? Game seemed to make a big deal about me doing that.

Did you catch the Nabbit in every world? Game seemed to make a big deal about me doing that.
I actually ran across a Miiverse post claiming that, despite popular belief, catching Nabbit in every world does not give you a Star.

I don't know how valid it is, though; I seem to recall catching him in every world, but I don't remember seeing a Star added.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You need
flagpoles on your save file.

Chopper

I actually ran across a Miiverse post claiming that, despite popular belief, catching Nabbit in every world does not give you a Star.

I don't know how valid it is, though; I seem to recall catching him in every world, but I don't remember seeing a Star added.
I got the notification that I had caught Nabbit in all the worlds before I even reached Meringue Clouds, so there's probably an element of truth to that Miiverse post. Apparently the last few worlds don't count.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

It's required. It was the very last thing I did.

tkscz

I know this sounds mean and I'm not trying to bag on the game or anything, but it became a thousand times more fun to play when I mute it. I have never had the experience ruined by music this bad, but the music in the NSMB series is just that terrible.

Got 5 stars, have to say Pendulum Castle was really a disappointment after all the hype, cleared it first time without any real effort. Run for your life I found to be a lot more challenging (obviously you can cheat with p-acorn but that doesn't really count).

Is there a reason why I start back at Acorn Plains-3 Yoshi Hill even when I compete it and the next level?

It seems to start me off there. Is it because I need the pink yoshi for the upcoming levels? ( which I have completed with pink yoshi)

Davey Cakes

I know this sounds mean and I'm not trying to bag on the game or anything, but it became a thousand times more fun to play when I mute it. I have never had the experience ruined by music this bad, but the music in the NSMB series is just that terrible.
It doesn't sound mean, but it does sound a bit loony.

I can understand when people bag on the game for recycling tracks for previous games, but that's about it. The soundtrack isn't great but it certainly isn't offensive, at least to the point of making the game less fun to play. Maybe I'm just lucky that I broke away from the collective consciousness on this one.

boxter432

Is there a reason why I start back at Acorn Plains-3 Yoshi Hill even when I compete it and the next level?

It seems to start me off there. Is it because I need the pink yoshi for the upcoming levels? ( which I have completed with pink yoshi)

it only saves after fortresses/castles and stuff. unless you do quick save, which I've never done so not 100% sure how it works. it doesn't auto save, a giant save screen will come up after a fortress.

Oh, right, there are a couple levels in the swamp that just loop you around and such if you reach them, so you might miss them completely. Gotta get all those exits.

It's really a shame they couldn't learn from the DKC sequels or, you know, Super Mario World, and give some sign of whether you'd found all the exits in a particular level. I'm sitting at 92, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to hunt around for the ones I'm missing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I didn't really understand how somebody could feel this strongly about the music.

Then I played NSMB2. Jesus. They really cranked the obnoxiousness up to 11 in that one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
it only saves after fortresses/castles and stuff. unless you do quick save, which I've never done so not 100% sure how it works. it doesn't auto save, a giant save screen will come up after a fortress.

Quick Save will save your progress, then immediately return you to the main menu. If you choose your file again, the Quick Save will be gone so if you turn your system off without finding a tower/fortress to permanently save, or Quick Saving again, that progress will be lost.

I didn't really understand how somebody could feel this strongly about the music.

Then I played NSMB2. Jesus. They really cranked the obnoxiousness up to 11 in that one.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Thankfully I'm more inclined to mute handheld games anyways just by their nature.

Quick Save will save your progress, then immediately return you to the main menu. If you choose your file again, the Quick Save will be gone so if you turn your system off without finding a tower/fortress to permanently save, or Quick Saving again, that progress will be lost.

Oh so a menu will pop up when you reach a tower/fortress to save?

What's the point of the quick save then?

squid

Argh, I saw this on display (but not playable) at a store today. Looks great, really want to play it! Curse you, financial situation! Maybe mid next year...
if I can hold out that long XD

Top Bottom