• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

jonezer4

Blarh, I have
flagpoles and can't for the life of me find the last one. I've got every one on this list: http://www.ign.com/wikis/new-super-mario-bros-u/Secret_Exits

I've got all the star coins so it's a shortcut or pointless exit of some kind, but i'ts driving me nuts. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind. I finally realized - maybe I had all the secret exits and was missing a regular exit. Sure enough, a pointless loop on
Soda Jungle-4
. The secret exit was so obvious and the regular exit so pointless, I never even realized I hadn't one it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, now that the dust has (at least somewhat) settled, what is the early consensus on this game? Best NSMB game? Of course people will always have their preferences, i am asking whether this is widely considered to be the best of the bunch then?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So, now that the dust has (at least somewhat) settled, what is the early consensus on this game? Best NSMB game? Of course people will always have their preferences, i am asking whether this is widely considered to be the best of the bunch then?

Yes.

Well shit, I had
flags. Already did both normal exits in the ghost woods that bring you back to the stage before.

edit: Think I've found the rest in the IGN walkthrough. I usually really like to search for the coins but finding some of this shit is pure luck. I thought it was much better in NSMBWii where you could buy some hints.

The best in my opinion thus far (haven't 100%ed it yet).

Drago

Easily the best

imo NSMBU>>NSMB2>>>>>>NSMB

(never finished NSMBW because my disc broke)

The game pretty much takes all of the concepts from NSMBWii and kinda refines or expands them, so it should be the better game. However, that also makes it feel more like a level pack tbh and I had more fun with NSMBWii which suprised me by how good it was after the DS borefest. It brought lots of new stuff to 2D Mario, mainly rotating platforms and similar shit everywhere, while this again feels super safe and hence not quite as exciting imo (if you've played the previous game). A slightly more bearable presentation doesn't save it. Also, the final world was such a disappointment.
''Oh wow, they might have actually done something new, can't wait to see what's inside the tornado... oh... same lava world with 1:1 the same level concepts from pretty much all the other games, great...''
Also, Bowser is lame - much worse than NSMBWii.

Challenges are kinda cool though. Golding some of these 5 star challenges...
emot-smithicidezjpri.gif

Pretty much makes this the hardest Mario game.

y2dvd

Wow, y'all weren't lying about how difficult this game was. I finally got to play it at a friends place last night and died frequently. In one of the icy hidden worlds, I died within 30 seconds lol. Probably gonna pick up the system just for this game now.

7threst

This game is sooo great. Hard as hell though.

Unfortunately, just had my first freeze. I wanted to write on Miiverse whike playing NSMB U with a screenshot. First it said it couldn't connect. I browsed some more and saw that a friend had reacted to something I said on Miiverse. I wanted to post a reply but everything froze, the music and my tablet (while the cursor was still blinking). Had to unplug the powercord to get my system running again. Not cool :(

Wiz

Finished this game earlier this morning. This might be 3rd place (behind World and Mario 3) for my favorite 2D Mario. It really felt like a breath of fresh air the whole way through, and beating it was a very satisfying experience. With me missing a lot of star coins, the challenge modes, and the future DLC, I know that I'll be playing this game for months to come. Good work Nintendo.

I enjoyed NSMBW more then I enjoyed NSMBU based simply on main campaign, U wins with the awesome challenge and boost modes. NSMBW for multiplayer, NSMBU for singleplayer IMO.

Apenheul

Saw the credits but I have yet to find a lot of star-coins. Great 2D Mario game, for me it's almost up there with SMB3 and SMW. They should've just reused the Yoshi's from SMW imho instead of these baby Yoshi's. Anyway, I wish you could disable the ability to instantly put yourself into a bubble in multiplayer mode, basically nobody ever dies from falling into a pit because they immediately press A.

Haunted

I liked NSMBWii's final boss better, but this is certainly a good game overall.

Boost mode is surprisingly effective. Ladyfriend who is not confident enough to actually play herself but prideful enough to not just sit in a bubble throughout many parts of the game was absolutely loving it, barely could get her away from the pad. Great way to play coop with a "reluctant" player.

I don't understand what the P-Acorn does even after reading the explanation in the OP. :lol You don't lose height while gliding?

ciD_Vain

I liked NSMBWii's final boss better, but this is certainly a good game overall.

Boost mode is surprisingly effective. Ladyfriend who is not confident enough to actually play herself but prideful enough to not just sit in a bubble throughout many parts of the game was absolutely loving it, barely could get her away from the pad. Great way to play coop with a "reluctant" player.

I don't understand what the P-Acorn does even after reading the explanation in the OP. :lol You don't lose height while gliding?

It's like the Super Acorn but with infinite vertical boosts.

FStop7

Banned
I think this is the first 2D Mario game I've owned since SMB3.

Because of that I'm not feeling the fatigue that others are and I'm enjoying it. I liked SM 3D Land better, though.

The music does suck, though. For the most part - there are a couple of decent tracks.

krae_man

Just finished the game, looks like I have one exit to find to get my 5th star.

SuperStar Road started off hard as nails then got insanely easy. Especially that last stage. It should have been the hardest level in the entire game and it wasn't

Still I enjoyed every minute of the game.

tassletine

This is not a good Mario game. There is not enough imagination in the level design and the hit boxes are too large. I've never seen hitboxes this large in a Mario game so it actually seems unfair at points.
This game seems to be quite clearly knocked out for the launch window. I've had more fun with the coin rush packs on the 3DS frankly.

Best NSMB game by far.

I'd go even further and say only good NSMB game.
This is not a good Mario game. There is not enough imagination in the level design and the hit boxes are too large. I've never seen hitboxes this large in a Mario game so it actually seems unfair at points.
This game seems to be quite clearly knocked out for the launch window. I've had more fun with the coin rush packs on the 3DS frankly.

I didn't pick up the 3DS one but I don't know how you could make any kind of argument for the original NSMB and NSMBWii being better than this. If you want to talk about Mario games sucking, direct your fire towards those two. Honestly if you don't think the level design is about on par with SMW then you've either got some nostalgia glasses on or you haven't finished the game yet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The one thing I could never see criticism of this game for is level design. World 1 is basic stuff, but from world 2 onward it's top tier Mario and better than most courses in Super Mario World.

I do think at this point, any future 2D Mario games are going to suffer from a combination of nostalgia goggles and saturation. In reality, before the current era we'd only ever gotten TWO major 2d platformers starring Mario: SMB 3 and SMW.

People have the games seriously built up in their minds, IMO. The fact that Nintendo is treating 2D Mario like Mario Kart now may be creating a clash of expectations. (I.e. 2D Mario is now a workhorse game rather than the lifechanging event people remember from their childhood.)

You can fly indefinatly like the SMW cape (infact is the same up down motion) but without any challenge whatsoever. It acts like a cheat and thats why they take it away from you after you beat a stage and transform you into a normal acorn.

Cape is still the best flying object in any mario game, at least there was a challenge to get it right. I liked NSMBU (beated 100% the other day) but changing the cape (because seeing the acorn you know it was a "tribute" to it) by this mediocre object (where the best thing it has is that you can attatch to walls) just baffles my mind.
Same with still not letting you throw objects upward like SMW.

And one music tease that was outright unrespectful was the music in the final castle.
Its starts with this (from 0:00 to 0:02):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqFtW92WUaI

And you say OH SHIT SMW CASTLE REMIX INCOMING! (its one of my favourite songs in all the series, so you had to see my face when I heard that part).
To the Nintendo saying "you silly boy, you though we were going to do a tribute to best castle theme? Here, hear the last world map theme but now inside the castle, arent you happy, its from Mario 64!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6xj1CYgGSE

That was unrespectful, and that was cheap (using the exactly same theme as the world map). I hate each day more the NSMB music, its just a joke right now.
Shiho Fujii is the cheapest and worst nintendo composer ever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My lord, thrilling spine coaster,s last coin is nuts. I keep meaning to just go through the levels and then come back for the star coins, but so far I've been fully clearing levels before removing on.

My only real criticism is not knowing which levels have secret exits. You can guess a few (ghost houses are always worth exploring nooks and crannies), but some are in normal levels with no particular hints.

My lord, thrilling spine coaster,s last coin is nuts. I keep meaning to just go through the levels and then come back for the star coins, but so far I've been fully clearing levels before removing on.

My only real criticism is not knowing which levels have secret exits. You can guess a few (ghost houses are always worth exploring nooks and crannies), but some are in normal levels with no particular hints.
That's nothing, wait until the Superstar Road version.

Davey Cakes

I'm surprised that the secret exit most tricky to find was in Acorn Plains. For some reason it just wasn't as obvious as some of the other ones. Like a secret on top of a secret.

Currently I have all the star coins from every world so far and now I have just Peach's Castle to complete. I prefer to get all the star coins as I play, rather than go back for them later.

It's pretty neat how the overworld is like a big interconnected mess.

Also, Soda Jungle might be my favorite world just because it's SO LONG. Has, what, ten stages in total? Plus, it wins for having the stage that looks like a painting.

Roo

I enjoyed NSMBW more then I enjoyed NSMBU based simply on main campaign, U wins with the awesome challenge and boost modes. NSMBW for multiplayer, NSMBU for singleplayer IMO.

My God... really?
I played NSMBW alone because multiplayer was just unbearable
My friends, my sister and me included gave up really quick
the screen freezing a milisecond every time one of us died (something that happened a lot) broke the game for us

Finally got around to clearing World 8 last night and played around a bit more this morning. Was a bit disappointed with the final boss in comparison to NSMB Wii, but still had a ton of fun with the game.

Just got all the star coins for Acorn Plains, and will try to dive into collecting the star coins more down the road, but I want to try beating Trine 2, Zombi U, and BLOPS 2 first.

So much better than NSMB 2 though.

I'm surprised that the secret exit most tricky to find was in Acorn Plains. For some reason it just wasn't as obvious as some of the other ones. Like a secret on top of a secret.

Currently I have all the star coins from every world so far and now I have just Peach's Castle to complete. I prefer to get all the star coins as I play, rather than go back for them later.

It's pretty neat how the overworld is like a big interconnected mess.

Also, Soda Jungle might be my favorite world just because it's SO LONG. Has, what, ten stages in total? Plus, it wins for having the stage that looks like a painting.

And its a tribute to Forest of Ilussion when it goes inside the forest and turns into its little world map enclosed of the rest.
Too bad is not this amazing song the one sounding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6e-7YRfaAs
Would have been amazing if we go a remix for that part of the world map.

And its a tribute to Forest of Ilussion when it goes inside the forest and turns into its little world map enclosed of the rest.
I also like how the screen pixelates when you enter or leave.

The music reusing is really tragic here. The world map is well designed, the levels are great, the visuals are good enough with the backgrounds, but that music honestly sucks away the charm and identity this could have had as its own game, not something derivative.

Davey Cakes

Got through the first three levels of Peach's Castle and most of the fourth with all star coins, and then I triggered the ! block because I kept making silly mistakes. So...looks like I'm going to have to re-play those levels and get the coins again! I'm afraid of the penalties of triggering the !.

Fuck you, Super Guide. I don't need your help. I just make stupid mistakes because I rush or get cocky.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got through the first three levels of Peach's Castle and most of the fourth with all star coins, and then I triggered the ! block because I kept making silly mistakes. So...looks like I'm going to have to re-play those levels and get the coins again! I'm afraid of the penalties of triggering the !.

Fuck you, Super Guide. I don't need your help. I just make stupid mistakes because I rush or get cocky.

Yeah, there should be an option to turn it off. Or it could be smart and realise that if you have over 50 lives, you're probably Ok at mario and leave you alone.

I also like how the screen pixelates when you enter or leave.

The music reusing is really tragic here. The world map is well designed, the levels are great, the visuals are good enough with the backgrounds, but that music honestly sucks away the charm and identity this could have had as its own game, not something derivative.

You are totally right. This demosntrates how music can be a very impoertant part of a game.

Top Bottom