• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

I didn't pick up the 3DS one but I don't know how you could make any kind of argument for the original NSMB and NSMBWii being better than this. If you want to talk about Mario games sucking, direct your fire towards those two. Honestly if you don't think the level design is about on par with SMW then you've either got some nostalgia glasses on or you haven't finished the game yet.

Or it's just about using the phrase "level design" for the sake of it in an attempt to make an opinion sound objective. I don't think most people have a clear idea of what actually does or does not constitute good level design. Most of us just either enjoy the games or don't.

My only real criticism is not knowing which levels have secret exits. You can guess a few (ghost houses are always worth exploring nooks and crannies), but some are in normal levels with no particular hints.

Yeah, there was no reason no to bring the yellow/red dot thing back.

batbeg

Some of the challenges are just BRUTAL. I hope Nintendo continues catering toward the hardcore platforming through dlc like they have with nsmb2.

Tokieda

Fuck you, Super Guide. I don't need your help. I just make stupid mistakes because I rush or get cocky.

I know, right?

I 100%'ed NSMBWii and felt so proud never seeing that green block...

This time around, however, I've seen it a couple of times, and every time because like Nintendo's programmers are laughing in my face.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I know, right?

I 100%'ed NSMBWii and felt so proud never seeing that green block...

This time around, however, I've seen it a couple of times, and every time because like Nintendo's programmers are laughing in my face.

I'm happy I'm not the only one.

There were a couple of levels where I would die repeatedly going for a Star Coin or just because I was being an idiot and hearing the "ding dong" of the Super Guide is literally Nintendo saying "You suck".

I haven't used it but still, it makes me feel like I'm not as good at platformers as I hoped I was.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got through the first three levels of Peach's Castle and most of the fourth with all star coins, and then I triggered the ! block because I kept making silly mistakes. So...looks like I'm going to have to re-play those levels and get the coins again! I'm afraid of the penalties of triggering the !.

Fuck you, Super Guide. I don't need your help. I just make stupid mistakes because I rush or get cocky.

As far as anyone can tell, the Super Guide showing up has no effect on anything. Nor does using it, seems like.

But please, continue and be the definitive answer on this.

(You're definitely going to die more than eight times on some of the special levels, keep in mind.)

As far as anyone can tell, the Super Guide showing up has no effect on anything. Nor does using it, seems like.

But please, continue and be the definitive answer on this.

(You're definitely going to die more than eight times on some of the special levels, keep in mind.)

It determines if your stars shine on the file screen, I believe.

Chopper

Luigi mode. Luigi automatically plays the level for you, but you can stop at a certain point to play the level at that area you stopped him at.
Holy shit! He just rocks up and plays for you?! That is crazy cheap. Can I play as him otherwise?

Kokonoe

Banned
Holy shit! He just rocks up and plays for you?! That is crazy cheap. Can I play as him otherwise?

Sadly, you can't play as him unless you activate the Luigi mode from dying, or playing with two players.

Well, you can also play as him in the challenge modes I believe too.

Fox Mulder

Got through the first three levels of Peach's Castle and most of the fourth with all star coins, and then I triggered the ! block because I kept making silly mistakes. So...looks like I'm going to have to re-play those levels and get the coins again! I'm afraid of the penalties of triggering the !.

Wait, what does that do?

I've got the block that pops up about luigi helping a couple of times but I never used it. I usually only got it while trying to get star coins in the initial run of a level.

Chopper

Gah! 93 flags! I have no idea what's missing. I'm sure I got them all in Soda Jungle, and it appears as though all my ghost houses have two paths coming out of them. Does the Star World have a secret exit?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gah! 93 flags! I have no idea what's missing. I'm sure I got them all in Soda Jungle, and it appears as though all my ghost houses have two paths coming out of them. Does the Star World have a secret exit?

Nope.

Keep in mind there are normal exits for Soda Jungles 2, 4, and 5. Here's the secret exits for all the levels:

1. Acorn Plains-2: Tilted Tunnel (to Acorn Plains-Blooper: Blooper's Secret Lair)

2. Layer-Cake Desert-4: Spike's Spouting Sands (to Layer-Cake Desert-Ice: Piranha Plants on Ice)

3. Sparkling Waters-Ghost House: Haunted Shipwreck (to Sparkling Waters-Leaf: Skyward Stalk)

4. Frosted Glacier-Ghost House: Swaying Ghost House (to Frosted Glacier-Fliprus: Fliprus Lake)

5. Soda Jungle-2: Bridge Over Poisoned Waters (to Soda Jungle-. [to Soda Jungle-6/7])

6. Soda Jungle-Ghost House: Which Way Labyrinth (to Soda Jungle-Para-Beetle: A Flight of the Para-Beetles)

7. Soda Jungle-4: Painted Swampland (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

8. Soda Jungle-5: Deepsea Ruins (to Soda Jungle-. [to progress in the world, normal exits loop around])

9. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Grinding Stone Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-6: Thrilling Spine Coaster)

10. Rock-Candy Mines-Fortress: Screwtop Tower (to Rock-Candy Mines-. [Rock-Candy Mines-Castle: Roy's Conveyor Castle, backdoor])

11. Meringue Clouds-Ghost House: Spinning Spirit House (to Meringue Clouds-Castle: Ludwig's Clockwork Castle)

12. Peach's Castle-1: Meteor Moat (to Peach's Castle-4: Firefall Cliffs)

Beat the game, and am in the process of collecting all the star coins, hidden exits, etc.

PROs:
1. Fantastic level design
2. Healthy amount of difficulty towards the end of the game
3. Music is BETTER than past NSMB games
4. The acorn suit. It controls wonderfully, and I hope it makes appearances in future games.
5. Challenge mode. They weren't kidding when they said challenge
6. Dem backgrounds
7. Bosses, while still being very "meh" were better than past NSMB games.
8. Love the overworld a lot

CONs
1. That music is just awful, even if it is better than past games.
2. Presentation still leaves MUCH to be desired.
3. Still takes way too long for the difficulty to happen. It didn't start getting difficult at all until the Mountain world.
4. Baby Yoshis. The pink one especially. They seem to get in the way more than anything.
5. Lack of online co-op (Though, if it's technically unfeasible, like Nintendo and others say, then that's completely understandable).

All in all, this is easily the best 2D Mario game made since probably World. I'm very impressed.

Chopper

Nope.

Keep in mind there are normal exits for Soda Jungles 2, 4, and 5. Here's the secret exits for all the levels:
Appreciate the list, but it wasn't any of those! A bit of Googling revealed another secret exit in
Walking Piranha Plants
!

So, 13 secret flags.

Galang

Banned
CONs
3. Still takes way too long for the difficulty to happen. It didn't start getting difficult at all until the Mountain world.
5. Lack of online co-op (Though, if it's technically unfeasible, like Nintendo and others say, then that's completely understandable).

All in all, this is easily the best 2D Mario game made since probably World. I'm very impressed.

Good write-up. I feel these will be my only problems with the game. Not sure about #4 though

Fox Mulder

Beat the game, and am in the process of collecting all the star coins, hidden exits, etc.

PROs:
4. The acorn suit. It controls wonderfully, and I hope it makes appearances in future games.
6. Dem backgrounds

CONs
4. Baby Yoshis. The pink one especially. They seem to get in the way more than anything.

I like the nods to World and SMB3, and the music isn't grating to me since I've only played the DS NSMB on a plane trip back in 2007. I've had fun with the level design, and imagine it's hard to build worlds that are compelling for single player while also accommodating to coop play.

Challenge mode is incredible, and I'd certainly buy more through dlc if they ever do that on the WiiU.

PROs:
6. Dem backgrounds

CONs

If you playing multiplayer, the difficulty starts on Level 1-1 lol. Also, I loved the baby Yoshis. They were so cute and singing along to the music was a nice touch and the biggest change to the presentation for me.

The only complaint I really have is your #5. I really missed online coop in this one. I hope the next one implements it

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Appreciate the list, but it wasn't any of those! A bit of Googling revealed another secret exit in
Walking Piranha Plants
!

So, 13 secret flags.

Haha, I can't believe I missed one for the list! And I've gotten them all too, haha.

oatmeal

Banned
They're quite addicting, and fast to jump in and out of.

Bleh, I was bothered that if you die you can't just redo it right away. You have a really annoying 5-6 seconds in between attempts that is really annoying.

I want every platformer to steal Meat Boy's respawn.

Davey Cakes

CONs
Personally, I don't see that as a con. Having a universal difficulty and all, the game is pretty well balanced and has a nice, smooth difficulty curve that's a bit steeper than in previous games.

Besides, difficulty doesn't equal fun anyway. The first few worlds aren't overly hard but collecting all the star coins is a blast. And I'm saying this as a seasoned player. There are plenty of people saying that the game gets really hard by the third world. I can honestly see some players (mostly of the casual variety, but others as well) having a lot of trouble and nearly quitting from frustration as early as Soda Jungle. You'd be surprised at how incompetent the average player, especially in the NSMB audience, is.

I beat Super Meat Boy on the X360 100%, including the DLC that was available at the time. I've been playing games for over twenty years. I'm an experienced player and know what a hard platformer can be. Mario doesn't really need to be like that. Hardcore players may appreciate the addition of difficulty levels, but Mario has always been more about having a universal difficulty that's fun for everyone, and Nintendo has gotten better at appealing to all audiences. They not only improved the general challenge of the main game, but also included the "challenges" mode for the skilled.

Darryl

Banned
I thought the difficulty scaled up perfectly. I started dying in the second world, and I can think of some hard levels starting in the Ice place and that's only the third world. The Boo Castle + Boss gave me hell there. I suppose it depends on your playing style because I'm not really cautious when I play.

I thought the difficulty scaled up perfectly. I started dying in the second world, and I can think of some hard levels starting in the Ice place and that's only the third world. The Boo Castle + Boss gave me hell there. I suppose it depends on your playing style because I'm not really cautious when I play.

There definitely were some difficult levels in the game. I've found it to be more challenging, overall, then the first NSMBWii where you could just use the Propeller Suit and blast away on most levels

Tokieda

I'm happy I'm not the only one.

There were a couple of levels where I would die repeatedly going for a Star Coin or just because I was being an idiot and hearing the "ding dong" of the Super Guide is literally Nintendo saying "You suck".

I haven't used it but still, it makes me feel like I'm not as good at platformers as I hoped I was.

I'm currently exacting my terrible revenge in the challenge mode!

Dr.Hadji

If you playing multiplayer, the difficulty starts on Level 1-1 lol. Also, I loved the baby Yoshis. They were so cute and singing along to the music was a nice touch and the biggest change to the presentation for me.

Too true. Multi is like training in 10 times gravity. You're forced to platform in so many different (harder) ways than you might be used to. Truly my favorite type of platforming.

I went for all the star coins before leaving each level and the difficulty is good as its now.

Theres a part when I got like 99 lives (I think was the snow world), when I got to bowser's castle I had 10 and it didnt go down more because you can get at least 1 life when you are playing the majority of stages.
That means I lost more than 100 lives when I got to the final part of the game. I think thats a good balance of hard and easy.

And its a tribute to Forest of Ilussion when it goes inside the forest and turns into its little world map enclosed of the rest.

SMW actually did this every other world.

Yoshi's Island (Separate) => Donut Plains (Main Map) => Vanilla Dome (Separate) => Twin Bridges (Main Map) => Forest of Illusion (Separate) => Chocolate Island (Main Map) => Valley of Bowser (Separate)

Then Star Road and the Special World were separate as well.

There were occasions where you would step out of the enclosed areas for a stage technically in that world, like the outlying fortresses in Forest of Illusion, or the Yellow Switch Palace in Yoshi's Island, but for the most part, they toggled back and forth.

RagnarokX

If you playing multiplayer, the difficulty starts on Level 1-1 lol.

ZkYoD.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Took me well over an hour to gold Cashless Castle Crawl. On the plus side I've now gotten gold medals for all the Special challenges. Yay!

Picking up where I left off in the Coin challenges, and Don't Touch Anything can go floss itself inside out with barbed wire. It'd be difficult if it was just the spinning platforms and the coins, but no, they have to throw in three goddamn Lakitus on top of it all. God.

Do you prefer to play on the gamepad or TV?

Gamepad for me. I think it's made for it.

Actually all the games that feature off TV play I use the gamepad. Works in the toilet too.

Top Bottom