• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ASTROID2

Check out the banner that Cystm made:
iD0WRmr30Z1Fm.gif

Very cool.

The Wii U footage looks in line with their actual regular Wii U footage as it looks inline with the actual game. There's a disconnect between the Wii stuff there with their regular Wii footage/actual game. Looks like they went back and whipped out the composite cables and dipped them in acid before capturing.

http://www.nanoassaultgame.com/neo/video/shinen_nano_assault_neo_trailer1_720p60_8mbit.mp4

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/13/nano-assault-neo-announcement-trailer

Speaks for itself, really. Especially during pans. Pretty typical compression artifacting crushing a lot of detail.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
With all the Super Mario World shout-outs, has Charging Chuck been spotted? This seems like the game they'd probably bring him back for (would love to see Rex and Dino-Rhino)

BowieZ

Banned
I know BowieZ is a fan of the new mario music, and I like one or two tracks, but I'd love them to totally change tack with the next game... some of the tunes are getting old. None of them will be the mario theme to a new generation of kids... they're just not good enough.
Hey, a shout out! lol

But just to clarify, I do really like the NSMB tunes, and find them highly fitting and generally catchy, and I even like most of the synth choices for their intended effect.

But I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say I like them being recycled. It annoys me, furthermore, cos I would have written some new tunes and remixes for free, if given the opportunity.

Nintendo obviously wants to maintain familiarity for the sales (it's not a cost issue), like the visuals, but I don't think the exact same recordings of the same tunes was necessary. I mean NSMB1 to Wii had an appropriate music change.

That said, it's only the castle, water theme, and a couple others that are identical - the significant ones (world map, main overworld theme and variations) are new.

I will say a video I saw showed that when you carried a Baby Yoshi, the music gained an added layer to it, similar to the added percussion in Super Mario World, or the additions to the music in Galaxy 2.

So there is that, at least.

Hiltz

With all the Super Mario World shout-outs, has Charging Chuck been spotted? This seems like the game they'd probably bring him back for (would love to see Rex and Dino-Rhino)

I haven't spotted any of those memorable enemies in New SMBU, but Monty Mole and Torpedo Ted are confirmed.

Triton55

I will say a video I saw showed that when you carried a Baby Yoshi, the music gained an added layer to it, similar to the added percussion in Super Mario World, or the additions to the music in Galaxy 2.

So there is that, at least.

The added layer is the baby yoshi singing to you
:3c

And NSMBWii ;)

I suppose, but you were far more limited where you could ride a Yoshi in New SMB Wii (Galaxy 2 as well, I suppose), versus the Baby Yoshis following you around presumably almost everywhere in New SMB U.

I'm going to guess they won't follow you into fortresses to mimic SMW, even though that was done in SMW purely because of hardware limitations.

Minor disappointment if true, but I think the videos of the map we've seen is all there is. I was really hoping we'd see hidden areas or even a Rainbow Road. Oh well.

Minor disappointment if true, but I think the videos of the map we've seen is all there is. I was really hoping we'd see hidden areas or even a Rainbow Road. Oh well.

The map's not that small, and hidden areas wouldn't be very well hidden if you could spot them browsing the map from World 1, would they?

And going back to SMW, remember that four of the worlds (Yoshi's Island, Vanilla Dome, Forest of Illusion, and Valley of Bowser) only showed the entrance on the main world map, and the Star Road and Special worlds were nowhere to be seen.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dudes, you know what? i found NSMB on DS to be pretty mediocre, and felt the same way about NSMB2 for 3DS. But I LOVED the Wii version, so I'm pretty stoked to try this game and really happy it's there at launch.

BowieZ

Banned
Maybe above the starry glacier world is a rainbow secret world?

Either way the map looks huge IMHO ... the cloud area and mines is more massive than I realised at first glimpse.

And world 8 is probably on a smaller inset map screen like the ghost maze forest area, so probably there are a couple other interior areas to boot.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I believe they said there's leaderboards for the challenge modes via Miiverse.

"They" have "said" an awful lot of "things." I'll hold out on this one. NSMB2 has probably the most embarrassing excuse for "leaderboards" I've ever seen in my life.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
"They" have "said" an awful lot of "things." I'll hold out on this one. NSMB2 has probably the most embarrassing excuse for "leaderboards" I've ever seen in my life.

In point of fact, I'm skeptical as well.

The only different here is that there were overworld images displaying a Mii from Miiverse with a record time to beat on a course.

Past that, we obviously don't know since the journalists are A: under NDA and B: can't update and activate Miiverse yet.

JazzmanZ

I guess you haven't seen it, but there's a video showing the entire map. I guess there's still a chance, but it's a pretty slim one.

keep in mind Super mario world's star road was on its own separate map, so the same can be said for this game probably.

Besides, those star coins have to amount for something.

Does this game have any original music or is it all recycled? It seems like every video I've seen uses the exact same music as NSMBW. And for the record, I don't mind the "bah"'s, but reusing that same damn music over and over seems so lazy for a game that otherwise looks like it is branching out a bit from the typical NSMB format.

jerd

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but in multiplayer mode, can someone use the gamepad to control a normal character? I have 3 wii remotes and I'm not sure if I should invest in a fourth for 4 player co-op.

Teknoman

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but in multiplayer mode, can someone use the gamepad to control a normal character? I have 3 wii remotes and I'm not sure if I should invest in a fourth for 4 player co-op.

Im pretty sure you can.

jaypah

I suppose, but you were far more limited where you could ride a Yoshi in New SMB Wii (Galaxy 2 as well, I suppose), versus the Baby Yoshis following you around presumably almost everywhere in New SMB U.

I'm going to guess they won't follow you into fortresses to mimic SMW, even though that was done in SMW purely because of hardware limitations.

Care to elaborate on the spoilered section of your post? I've never heard the reasoning for this and it sounds interesting. Thanks.

Interesting...

Sold out online at Best Buy

And what's with the lack of pre-order bonuses? The only decent deal was the Newegg pre-order for $47.99. I'll keep that one locked down, but grab a copy at retail then sell back my Newegg copy.

Also, some stores in my area apparently have it in stock for store pick-up.. maybe I should give it a try. I'll call first. Edit: all pre-orders of the game are sold out at Best Buy stores within a 100 mile radius. o_O

Interesting...

And what's with the lack of pre-order bonuses? The only decent deal was the Newegg pre-order for $47.99. I'll keep that one locked down, but grab a copy at retail then sell back my Newegg copy.

Also, some stores in my area apparently have it in stock for store pick-up.. maybe I should give it a try. I'll call first. Edit: all pre-orders of the game are sold out at Best Buy stores within a 100 mile radius. o_O

Can't add it to cart for in store even though it shows available, gives errors so I doubt it.

I called a couple of GameStop stores and none of them are doing a midnight launch for Wii U and NSMBU. Anyone here actually going to a midnight launch somewhere this Saturday? Nothing here in Washington so far... which is surprising because Nintendo's HQ is here in Redmond.

Interesting...

Probably a bunch of moms bought it for their kids thinking it would work on the Wii.

Pineconn

According to GameXplain, in multiplayer the GamePad must be used for Boost Mode. You can use the GamePad in single player to control Mario. Wiimotes are the only other controller supported.

I called a couple of GameStop stores and none of them are doing a midnight launch for Wii U and NSMBU. Anyone here actually going to a midnight launch somewhere this Saturday? Nothing here in Washington so far... which is surprising because Nintendo's HQ is here in Redmond.

I'll be snagging my Deluxe and NSMBU @ the stroke of midnite courtesy of Walmart layaway preorder. Doubt there will be much of a party other than me picking up my precious.

Mariolee

First two commercials made me think this might be the easiest NSMB yet. Then that third commercial slapped me in the face and threw a sandwich.

Top Bottom