• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

mclem

jackdoe said:
Because they're using a standard SD card? I'm guessing Sony still feels burned by the CFW hacks (and they want to make money off of their proprietary format as well).

I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised the 3DS still uses a standard SD card when it was such a common attack vector for the Wii.

DSN2K said:
shit battery life and the lack of Memory is poor, even PSP at launch came with a stick if I remember correctly.
it come with 32mb stick, which is absolutely useless for media, it's only intended for save data which most vita card can do it themselves.

Erethian

Sony provided a reference for the battery life figure, should probably be added to the OP.

Reference: About Duration of the Battery>
Game: Approx. 3~5 hours
Video: Approx. 5 hours
Music (in stand-by mode): Approx. 9 hours
* Screen brightness default setting, Bluetooth feature off, headphones used
* Game, when not using the network
* The duration may change depending on the brightness of the screen, what content being played and if
the network (3G/Wi-Fi) feature is being used or not

For those that are disappointed by the battery life, have you ever considered getting an external battery pack?

This is the New Trent IMP1000 which has an 11,000 mAh capacity so would give you an extra 15-25 hours more gaming on the Vita.
You can use it with your smartphone, ipad, ipod touch, DS etc too. Surely gotta be worth a look if 3-5hrs will limit how you use it away from home.

New_Trent_iCruiser-299x300.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Binabik15

I haven´t seen the conference, I´m not waking up in the middle of the not for video games (Qhich weren´t even shown, apparently), so I´ll comment on what I read on Gaf so far.

I expected memory card prices equaling highway robbery and PSP like battery life at most. As I said even before the 249€ price was announced, 300€ for the Vita was my cutoff point for getting it at launch.

So, I´m not positively surprised, but also not shocked and I will still get it day one once it hits Europe.

It has has Hot Shots Golf and an Uncharted game for launch, best launch eva!

Edit: Having such a battery pack in my backpack for train commutes doesn´t even seem a horrible idea, unless it gets hot.

Erethian

mclem said:
I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised the 3DS still uses a standard SD card when it was such a common attack vector for the Wii.

Nintendo started designing the OS layer of their hardware a lot better, starting with the DSi. Which still hasn't been fully cracked, I don't think.

Personally I used to care about having masses of built-in storage, but it's starting to affect me less and less. I will not use the cameras on this thing to take pictures. I will not be putting video on it because it's a waste of space and streaming services now exist. I have my phone for music. Cloud storage is also the norm nowadays. If we have to buy proprietary memory cards, I won't mind as long as I can pick up a cheap 4-8gb card for a few PSN games. The games coming on cartridges with a bit of extra space for future DLC and saves negates any real need for tons of space. Now as for CFW - I hope a new angle of attack is eventually found, as I want that eventually.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
On memory-card-gate, it's my one real disappointment about Vita on the hardware/platform side. I thought for sure they'd throw at least a token amount of storage in the box. I don't know who made the decisions on that, but thematically it seems so out of step with everything else. Very regressive vs the PS3 stance too.

On a more positive note, though, I think the 3G stuff is very smart, and hopefully we'll see similar plans over here. Interesting that they're not even touching contracts in Japan...just (very accessible) prepaid cards. I could go months and months with the 4980 yen card, assuming it's a contiguous amount of time and I can switch it on and off as I please - and it doesn't expire within a set timeframe. If they had similar stuff here I'd undoubtedly get the 3G model.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Looks like Sony has learned how to sell their consoles cheaper than they actually are. Don't put anything you need in there. Leave some out as a mandatory accessory.

(Will wait for the 2nd or 3rd revision - in no haste to play HD remakes I can get on PS3 anyway)

Is there any down side to importing this? Does anyone have any experience here?

Will it be easy enough to switch the languages? Is that option even provided? I'm aware of the 'o' and 'x' confirm / back difference. Others?

Will the games likely have options to switch to English?

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Who the hell would play with anything lower than max brightness and power save enabled? Shit sucks.

I play on brightness level 3, it's just fine. Brightness 5 (max) is overkill.

Same as with the DSL and the DSi. I would always play with mid brightness.

3DS' max battery life is 6.5 hours when playing 3DS games (DS games of course last much longer), lowest is 3 hours (2.5 for AR games)

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26166

Oh, not to mention that the AR games on PS Vita would suck up even more battery life than other games (thanks to the constant use of the camera). I would expect the PS Vita's battery life to range from 90 mins (max brightness, WiFi/3G on, AR game with fuck awesome graphics being played), to 5 hours (lowest brightness, very simple 2D game, sound off, WiFi/3G off)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've updated the OP with some of the new bits - sorry for the delay in doing that.

But f- me if I can figure out some decent formatting for those game lists :p

mclem

Linkzg said:
the thing is, there is hardly a reason to have a memory card for the 3DS. The inclusion was wholly unnecessary since it has internal memory and there was nothing to download at the time, and a few small things to download now.

YMMV whether you regard it as worthwhile, but it *does* allow you to populate the music player and extract photos from the system. Not games functionality, but it's a viable use.

Number45

MoogPaul said:
Am I reading this correctly? The dock has no video out? Wow. Didn't think things could get much worse than the 3DS.
What dock is this? I'm sure they confirmed that the console itself wouldn't have a TV out, but I have no idea about any docks.

Durante

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh, not to mention that the AR games on PS Vita would suck up even more battery life than other games (thanks to the constant use of the camera). I would expect the PS Vita's battery life to range from 90 mins (max brightness, WiFi/3G on, AR game with fuck awesome graphics being played), to 5 hours (lowest brightness, very simple 2D game, sound off, WiFi/3G off)
It's given as 3-5 hours at default brightness, so in your best case scenario it should be more than 5 hours.

FoxSpirit

Spinning Plates said:
For those that are disappointed by the battery life, have you ever considered getting an external battery pack?

This is the New Trent IMP1000 which has an 11,000 mAh capacity so would give you an extra 15-25 hours more gaming on the Vita.
You can use it with your smartphone, ipad, ipod touch, 3DS etc too. Surely gotta be worth a look if 3-5hrs will limit how you use it away from home.

New_Trent_iCruiser-299x300.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does this also work for the 3DS or has Ninty a proprietary plug again?

Durante said:
It's given as 3-5 hours at default brightness, so in your best case scenario it should be more than 5 hours.

The fact that they said "default brightness" and WiFi/3G off when quoting those variable hours means that the variation in battery life (2 hour difference) has to come from how graphics intensive the games are (and not how bright the screen is, or if WiFi is on)

If you're playing a graphically intensive game like Uncharted on "default brightness" (which is probably either the lowest or 2nd lowest brightness) and with WiFi/3G off, you're gonna get 3 hours of battery life out of it. If you're playing Sound Shapes on the same settings, you're gonna get 5 hours.

Adding on more brightness + Wireless + AR camera stuff will drag the battery life down significantly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kotaku has more detail on the 3G plans in Japan.

http://kotaku.com/5840053/the-ps-vitas-3g-plan-could-raise-eyebrows-in-japan

Basically the 20 hour card expires after a month, the 100 hour card after 6 months.

After a card expires you have 14 days to decide whether you want to buy more time or not - if you decide not to buy more and wish to buy again later, you'll have to pay the initialisation fee again.

In short...50 bucks every 6 months would get you about 30 minutes a day of 3G connectivity.

Taker666

Erethian said:
Sony provided a reference for the battery life figure, should probably be added to the OP.

Heh...so it's 3-5 hrs ...

...without wifi,without speakers on... and on the default brightness.

I think that deserves far more outrage than it's getting (considering how much Nintendo was ripped to shreds for their battey life..and Nintendo tend to be far more truthful).

Taker666 said:
Heh...so it's 3-5 hrs ...

...without wifi,without speakers on... and on the default brightness.

I think that deserves far more outrage than it's getting (considering how much Nintendo was ripped to shreds for their battey life..and Nintendo tend to be far more truthful).

Actually, Nintendo lowballed the 3DS battery life (like how they always lowball the battery life of their handhelds)

3DS gets a max of 6.5 hours while playing 3DS games, not 5.

antonz

gofreak said:
Kotaku has more detail on the 3G plans in Japan.

Basically the 20 hour card expires after a month, the 100 hour card after 6 months.

After a card expires you have 14 days to decide whether you want to buy more time or not - if you decide not to buy more and wish to buy again later, you'll have to pay the initialisation fee again.

In short...50 bucks every 6 months would get you about 30 minutes a day of 3G connectivity.
Works just like the prepaid cell phones then that virgin mobile and such offer.

mclem

One thing that I'm wondering about in amongst all this: I'm expecting a memory card to be required for any use of backwards compatability. Correct?

Omikaru

Nonoriri said:
Memory card 4GB ¥2,200
Memory card 8GB ¥3,200
Memory card 16GB ¥5,500
Memory card 32GB ¥9,500

:<
Oh my god. :|

I'd have found those prices a bit easier to stomach if there was a 64gb model, and that was ¥9,500, with the 32gb being ¥5,500, and so on. The current prices are just plain extortionate.

As it stands, my Vita will lose about 20gb to my current PSP library, so I'm probably going to stick to mostly physical releases on Vita and use the memory stick as a repository for my backwards compatible PSP and PSone games.

A shame.

Sennorin said:
I see this argument being made a lot, but can someone explain why it isn´t a problem for 3DS? SD Cards on PSV = piracy. SD Card on 3DS = safe?
Who said anything about the 3DS being safe? I bet hackers are already hard at work trying to find an exploit as we speak -- to circumvent the region lock, of course -- and the SD cards will probably be the way to get the exploit onto the system.

See: Wii's Letterbomb hack.

RaijinFY

gofreak said:
On memory-card-gate, it's my one real disappointment about Vita on the hardware/platform side. I thought for sure they'd throw at least a token amount of storage in the box. I don't know who made the decisions on that, but thematically it seems so out of step with everything else. Very regressive vs the PS3 stance too.

On a more positive note, though, I think the 3G stuff is very smart, and hopefully we'll see similar plans over here. Interesting that they're not even touching contracts in Japan...just (very accessible) prepaid cards. I could go months and months with the 4980 yen card, assuming it's a contiguous amount of time and I can switch it on and off as I please - and it doesn't expire within a set timeframe. If they had similar stuff here I'd undoubtedly get the 3G model.

A flash storage inside VITA wold have risen quite a bit the BOM. Either you rise the retail price tag or you take more loss...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
betty swollocks said:
Is there any down side to importing this? Does anyone have any experience here?

Will it be easy enough to switch the languages? Is that option even provided? I'm aware of the 'o' and 'x' confirm / back difference. Others?

Will the games likely have options to switch to English?

anything official from Sony on whether Vita is region-free?

hodgy100

if i get a vita ill defiantly get the wifi one, ill just use my android phone ad a wifi hotspot :p then i can connect anywhere :D

beril

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Who the hell would play with anything lower than max brightness and power save enabled? Shit sucks.

I usually play with the second highest brightnesss; and lately I've only played Virtual Console, so no 3D enabled, which also helps.
I think it's fair to assume that it's a similiar deal with Vita; 3-5 hours will mean 3 hours with the highest brightness and wifi enabled

thaOwner

I wouldn't mind any of this at all if their games shown at TGS was even decent. Waiting to see if things improve with the games for the system or they can fuck off.

mclem

Erethian said:
Nintendo started designing the OS layer of their hardware a lot better, starting with the DSi. Which still hasn't been fully cracked, I don't think.

But by the same token, the PS3 was pretty solid other than a dumb mistake that could easily be rectified in the next iteration. That doesn't strike me as a potential issue with the Vita.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Number45 said:
This?

http://www.andriasang.com/comy5x/images/23f4o/full.jpg[img]

No idea then, hopefully someone will ask on the show floor. I know the assumption was made that TV out wouldn't be supported on the device to protect the PS3 (which might still be the case), but perhaps it's to drive sales of the cradle instead?[/QUOTE]

Doubt that has a video output. How would you waggle or rear-touch that thing while it's on the cradle anyway?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Both companies are quoting similar battery life for similar conditions. With the OoT remake already pushing measured results to about 2.5 hrs, I suspect Vita's will be better in practice, even in Uncharted and the like.

Documented numbers from OMAP SoCs demonstrate how much less power is consumed by the GPU than by the CPU or certain other parts of the device, so increased GPU usage isn't such a major factor.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gustav said:
There must be some on-board memory though, right?

There's obviously some built in for the OS, but nothing exposed to the user I'm sure. No memory card included in any of the Japanese SKUs.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pazuzu9 said:
What about the weight dammit? It's the most important spec for me. Have they still not confirmed it?

Approx 279g (3G/Wi-Fi model)
Approx 260g (Wi-Fi model)

beril said:
I usually play with the second highest brightnesss; and lately I've only played Virtual Console, so no 3D enabled, which also helps.
I think it's fair to assume that it's a similiar deal with Vita; 3-5 hours will mean 3 hours with the highest brightness and wifi enabled

We already know that's not the case. That's for the "default brightness" (take that for what you will) and with WiFi/3G off.

Top Bottom