• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'll be waiting a while now. Those memory card prices are absurd just like they were with the original PSP, and the software slate is nothing you can't get on the PS3. I'll stick to my 3DS for the time being.

Ushojax said:
I'll be waiting a while now. Those memory card prices are absurd just like they were with the original PSP, and the software slate is nothing you can't get on the PS3. I'll stick to my 3DS for the time being.

Hey! Gotta make up for that hardware loss somehow!

I think I might sit this one out as well. I would want a decently sized memory card (8GB at the very least). I can get an 8GB SDHC card for about £15 (currently using it in my 3DS) for comparison's sake!

Fucking bollocks. Their Vita DD service will be DOA since nobody will have a decently sized memory card. Might even wait for a revision with built in flash memory!

DiscoJer

Noshino said:
I know that, but no titles have been announced/confirmed to need a memory card.

And that's my point, it could be a preemptive warning/label and not happen (unlikely), but til we have solid proof that titles do need memory cards, then .. well, its dumb to make bold statements such as the ones that have been going around this thread.

Well, we know that the Vita is getting some MMORPGs (that Eve spinoff, for instance, and probably SoE is making one). There is no way to have a MMORPG and not have patches and what not, which will need a memory card.

But outside of that...

Number45 said:
I'm sure they've stated multiple times that all games will be available DD, but not all games will have carts. I think Sound Shapes might be DD only, but I'm not 100% on that.

As I mentioned previous in answer to another question, several developers who make/made PSP Minis have had Vita devkits for some months now. They're all going to be DD only.

Icon Game even posted some work in progress screens

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150239054586702.335966.99872996701&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150208227721702.329472.99872996701&type=1

Pretty clearly they are not retail titles...(and bear in mind, all were made just after they got their devkits to see what they could do...)

Loudninja

26 titles for launch
Six of the 26 games are available from the PS Store only: Little Deviants, Minnato Issho, 3gokushi touchbattle, Project N.O.E.L.S., Yuusha no kiroku and Niconico.
The remaining 19 games will be available to download and on PS Vita cards.
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - 2D fighting game (Arc System Works)
Project N.O.E.L.S. (working title) - music player (Arc System Works)
3gokushi touchbattle (working title) - MMO/RTS (AQ Interactive)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting game (Capcom) - Launch title
Nature of Night of Kamaitachi - 11th visitor, A Suspect (tentative) - adventure: sound novel (Chunsoft)
F1 2011 - racing game (Codemasters)
Dream C Club Zero Portable - dating simulation game (D3 Publisher)
Niconico - Niconico (Dwango)
Fis Oh - sport fishing (Kadokawa Games)
Katamari Damacy (working title) - roll-'em-up (Namco Bandai)
Ridge Racer (working title) - racing game (Namco Bandai)
Disgaea 3 Return - strategy RPG (Nippon Ichi Software)
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition - sport tennis (Sega)
@field - sport golf (Sonic Powered)
Uncharted: Golden - action adventure (Sony)
Little Deviants - mini-game collection (Sony)
Minnato Issho - social communications (Sony(
Hot Shots Golf Next (Everybody's Golf Next) - sport golf (Sony)
Yuusha no kiroku (TBD) - life management (Sony)
Monster Radar - location-based game (Sony)
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja - stealth action (Spike)
Army Corps of Hell - action (Square Enix)
Lord of Apocalypse - action RPG (Square Enix)
Dynasty Warriors Next - action with a bit of thinking (Tecmo Koei)
Dark Quest - RPG (Ubisoft)
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD - rhythm action (Ubisoft)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-14-japans-ps-vita-launch-line-up

If I do end up getting the Vita, it's probably gonna be the last handheld system I'll ever get

Until we can get a battery that lasts longer than 5-7+ hours

Ydahs

So those launch titles are day one? Uhh... lots of those games are going to get overlooked. Wouldn't it have been wiser if they spread out the launch titles?

Luigiv

Luigiv said:
Nope. It's been confirmed since day one that Vita game cards would only with one memory pool (partitioned between read only and rewritable). Developers are required to sacrifice ROM space if they want to save data to the card.

Also,

** Public Service Announcement**
Micro SD adaptors will never happen.

It is simply not possible. Observe:

Exhibit A
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Luigi_V/playstation-vita-memory-cards-02.jpg[IMG]
Size of Game card relative to regular SD card

[B]Exhibit B[/B]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Playstation_vita_media.svg/180px-Playstation_vita_media.svg.png[IMG]
Size of Memory card as compared to Game card

[B]Exhibit C[/B]
[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Luigi_V/kingston-2gb-microsd.jpg[IMG]
Size of regular next to micro SD

[B]Vita Memory Cards and Micro SD cards are too close in size for an adaptor to even be physically possible.[/B][/QUOTE]
Okay Quoting myself, but here's a [B]rough[/B] Photoshopped comparison between sizes.
[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Luigi_V/VitaSDcomparison.png

The Vita memory card actually seems to be a bit larger then I originally though but I still don't think it's big enough to house a microSD.

Kyoufu

MH Vita probably isn't ready to announce until MH3G is out the door. :/

Anywho, yeah the prices are insane but I'll still buy a 32GB card and just enjoy the PSN Store in all its glory.

DSN2K

shit battery life and the lack of Memory is poor, even PSP at launch came with a stick if I remember correctly.

Mastperf

I was curious how Sony would deal with retailers being mad about DD versions of every game but with these prices I guess it probably won't be an issue.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Based on that Japanese launch list I'd like to get Hot Shots Golf and Dream Club. Hot Shots and Uncharted I'll probably get for free (yay working for Sony). I'll also consider F1 2011 but will wait for reviews and impressions first.

Already have Disgaea 3 for PS3, dunno if it's worth getting Vita version of it.

gogogow

Luigiv said:
Okay Quoting myself, but here's a rough Photoshopped comparison between sizes.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Luigi_V/VitaSDcomparison.png[/IMG

The Vita memory card actually seems to be a bit larger then I originally though but I still don't think it's big enough to house a microSD.[/QUOTE]
The thickness is probaby about the same as a microSD card. So no, it's not possible. Only some kind of device that sticks out would be possible.

French

Banned
ME0001449142_2.jpg

ME0001449143_2.jpg

ME0001449144_2.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
FFX will be available in Japan at launch? Lol whut

That's an effin' mean launch lineup

Edit: Reading comprehension! Page break screwed me up

Kyoufu

Capcom are the EA of Japan.

MHP3rd PSP version is on PSN. That is day 1 MH for Japan. Strange that they didn't mention this during the conference.

gogogow

BlueTsunami said:
FFX will be available in Japan at launch? Lol whut

That's an effin' mean launch lineup
The PSVITA is available on 17 december, not all the games on the 3 A4's.
And FFX is under the category "work in progress titles".

Number45

Durante said:
Aww, no Wipeout and Gravity for launch. I guess I'll just get Everybody's Golf Next and Disgaea 3 at first.
Hopefully they'll be ready for a western release, WO in particular.

Luigiv said:
The Vita memory card actually seems to be a bit larger then I originally though but I still don't think it's big enough to house a microSD.
I don't see any reason why someone won't come up with a MicroSD adapter specifically for the Vita at some point down the line. Memory card manufacturers must be ecstatic at this latest development!

Loudninja said:
Terrible?sounds like RPG heaven to me.
I think (hope) that he's being facetious.

gogogow

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just hate how Sony makes us buy another memory stick.
It is very backwards when Nintendo is allowing standard cheap as fuck SD cards on the DSi, Wii and 3DS and Sony is going proprietary.

Kyoufu

gogogow said:
It is very backwards when Nintendo is allowing standard cheap as fuck SD cards on the DSi, Wii and 3DS and Sony is going proprietary.

They're afraid of piracy, and we all know what that did to PSP.

dwu8991

Banned
Mastperf said:
I was curious how Sony would deal with retailers being mad about DD versions of every game but with these prices I guess it probably won't be an issue.

"Back to the Future"

gogogow

Kyoufu said:
I don't know how proprietary memory cards can defeat piracy, but we, the consumers are gonna get fucked over. Proprietary okay, but offer them at the same price as SD cards. This is not against piracy, they want to make shitloads of money off accessories. What did they put in those tiny cards that would make them 4-5 times more expensive?

The battery life is surprising. I know the Vita case is bigger than a 3DS so it can fit more battery in there, but I still expected it to have similar life due to the bigger OLED screen and much more power hungry components. I'm even somewhat impressed that it's so high. 3-5 hours is the sweet spot imo - you still need to do daily charges, but at least you know it's going to last you all day. No normal person plays a handheld for more than 4-5 hours, but some people do play it for more than 2-3 (what 3DS lasts).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eh well. I expected new accessories and its not like they're banning third party memory card makers or anything (right?).

Accessory prices have always been bonkers? How long have we been in this generation? Are we so used to $60-$65 controllers and $100+ Hard Drives now?

angelfly said:
3DS battery is designed to be user replaceable while Vita's isn't. So if we do get third party batteries you'll have to void your warranty by opening it up to install it.

fuck that shit. This bothers me much more than the memory card issues/prices.
on longer trips, without chances to recharge/plug in in your vita, you will be punished with ridiculous low battery life.

antonz

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The battery life is surprising. I know the Vita case is bigger than a 3DS so it can fit more battery in there, but I still expected it to have similar life due to the bigger OLED screen and much more power hungry components. I'm even somewhat impressed that it's so high. 3-5 hours is the sweet spot imo - you still need to do daily charges, but at least you know it's going to last you all day. No normal person plays a handheld for more than 4-5 hours, but some people do play it for more than 2-3 (what 3DS lasts).
Potential scary thing is their 3-5 hour quote is with no networking services active. any kind of multiplayer game and life apparently plunges

beje

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

3DS only lasts 2-3 if you play online with everything ON at the highest screen brightness. With a normal use (screen brightness on 3, power saving ON, wifi ON but not in use) you can get 5-6 hours easily.

Jarmel

Banned
antonz said:
Potential scary thing is their 3-5 hour quote is with no networking services active. any kind of multiplayer game and life apparently plunges

Kinda funny how gaming is heading back towards a more solitary experience. History is all cycles.

Number45

gogogow said:
I don't know how proprietary memory cards can defeat piracy, but we, the consumers are gonna get fucked over. Proprietary okay, but offer them at the same price as SD cards. This is not against piracy, they want to make shitloads of money off accessories. What did they put in those tiny cards that would make them 4-5 times more expensive?
I'm not defending the SIZE of the price discrepancy, but the fact that they're different in itself suggests that the cost might not be the same and that's not to mention the costs Sony have incurred developing the format.

I'm sure the pricing will come down over time (ideally before release over here, I'm not terribly keen on the idea of paying out £80 for a 32GB card! :'().

Also I'm hoping for a value pack of some description.

beje said:
3DS only lasts 2-3 if you play online with everything ON at the highest screen brightness. With a normal use (screen brightness on 3, power saving ON, wifi ON but not in use) you can get 5-6 hours easily.

Who the hell would play with anything lower than max brightness and power save enabled? Shit sucks.

Durante

iamaustrian said:
fuck that shit. This bothers me much more than the memory card issues/prices.
on longer trips, without chances to recharge/plug in in your vita, you will be punished with ridiculous low battery life.
For longer trips you can use an external charge pack. I also prefer replaceable batteries but it's not the end of the world. And it would have been pretty hard to implement considering the back touch pad.

Sennorin

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I see this argument being made a lot, but can someone explain why it isn´t a problem for 3DS? SD Cards on PSV = piracy. SD Card on 3DS = safe?

FoxSpirit

Kyoufu said:
Capcom are the EA of Japan.

MHP3rd PSP version is on PSN. That is day 1 MH for Japan. Strange that they didn't mention this during the conference.

This conference wasn't about games. Which is crazy.

Let's see about tomorrow. If I manage to crawl up at 4am again >:-[

beje said:
I get around 7 hours with this settings (from full charge to dead)

antonz

Sennorin said:
I see this argument being made a lot, but can someone explain why it isn´t a problem for 3DS? SD Cards on PSV = piracy. SD Card on 3DS = safe?
Its a potential issue for both but I think there is a demographics problem. Vita like the PSP are targeted at an age range that tends to be very proficient in the arts of torrents etc.

Piracy eventually started to become a problem for the DS but it had sold 130 million units by that point. Sony has to hope very much that they can resist being hacked but so does Nintendo

Top Bottom