• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Durante

Nuclear Muffin said:
No. I'm saying that on those settings listed (default brightness and WiFi/3G off) you'll get 3 hours in Uncharted (graphically intensive) and 5 hours in Sound Shapes (graphically simple)

If you play on highest brightness and with WiFi/3G on, you'll get less than 3 hours in Uncharted and less than 5 in Sound Shapes.

Seems pretty simple and clear cut to me.
Ok, let's do this slowly.

Here is what I originally quoted from you:
Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh, not to mention that the AR games on PS Vita would suck up even more battery life than other games (thanks to the constant use of the camera). I would expect the PS Vita's battery life to range from 90 mins (max brightness, WiFi/3G on, AR game with fuck awesome graphics being played), to 5 hours (lowest brightness, very simple 2D game, sound off, WiFi/3G off)

My reply was:
Durante said:
It's given as 3-5 hours at default brightness, so in your best case scenario it should be more than 5 hours.
"Your best case scenario" = "lowest brightness, very simple 2D game, sound off, WiFi/3G off"
You specify 5 hours for that, even though you later point out rightfully that the 2 hour variation must come from game content differences. Thus, a simple 2D game at default brightness, with sound should achieve 5 hours. Given that, in your best case scenario the battery should last longer than 5 hours. Comprende?

Do we have word on what process the SoCs for the Vita will be fabricated on? If it's anything more than 28nm, I think I'll wait for the inevitable move to 28nm later in 2012 with better battery life.

TTP said:
It's not the conference. It's the press release (battery life, sold separately overpriced proprietary memory cards etc)

That, and lots of fucking remakes.

Fair enough, but I've fully been expecting this storm since Vita's announcement. I can understand why it dampens the mood for some people, but, ehhh, I don't know, I'm still hyped personally.

As for the remakes, there's still a lot of original content in the Vita's launch window. I don't want to come across overly defensive -- with my Wipeout avatar -- but it's just a shame people tar all the good that's come over the past eight months with a touch of the bad.

Vita still looks like a fantastic system.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Even the 3DS has Internal Storage.

This is just Sony trying to make more money off of memory cards.

Durante said:
Ok, let's do this slowly.

Here is what I originally quoted from you:

My reply was:

"Your best case scenario" = "lowest brightness, very simple 2D game, sound off, WiFi/3G off"
You specify 5 hours for that, even though you later point out rightfully that the 2 hour variation must come from game content differences. Thus, a simple 2D game at default brightness, with sound should achieve 5 hours. Given that, in your best case scenario the battery should last longer than 5 hours. Comprende?

Oh I see, sorry. I dun goofed!

So the best case scenario could be around 5.5-6 hours (unless "default brightness" is the lowest brightness possible) and the worst case would be around 1.5-2.

TTP said:
Why did they go for a proprietary format for the big one I don't understand.
Hang on... the big one is how they're gonna sell games at retail? That was bound to be proprietary. It's the equivalent of a UMD, NGC (for DS), etc.

And it's the smaller one (that could easily have been a MicroSD or M2) that they're dicking us over with? That's the one you need to buy to have storage for PSN games, saves, basically everything the Duo did in a PSP...

But then Wiki says it's the bigger NVG card that will have variable capacities?

WTF? I'm confused.

Durante

Nuclear Muffin said:
So the best case scenario could be around 6 hours and the worst case would be around 1.5-2.
Agreed! Now it would be interesting to know just how bright "default brightness" actually is.

Also, one funny thing about OLED is that the battery should last longer for horror games or gritty dark FPS than for a bright game like Katamari.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
BY2K said:
This is just Sony trying to make more money off of memory cards.
j8OwP.jpg
"Holy shit, you're absolutely right!"

beje

Banned
Serious question: Why buy the 3G version and pay for an additional data plan if you can tether from your smartphone to the WiFi version using your existing data plan? I do it from time to time to play online with the 3DS on the train and it works pretty good. The current target demography of the Vita is tech-wise people that most likely already have a smartphone with a generous data plan so...

Durante

beje said:
Serious question: Why buy the 3G version and pay for an additional data plan if you can tether from your smartphone to the WiFi version using your existing data plan? I do it from time to time to play online with the 3DS on the train and it works pretty good.
The only reason I could think of is that WiFi hotspot functionality tends to drain a lot of power on smartphones. But I'll also be using that in case I ever need an online connection out of WiFi range.

Shai-Tan

Banned
beje said:
Serious question: Why buy the 3G version and pay for an additional data plan if you can tether from your smartphone to the WiFi version using your existing data plan? I do it from time to time to play online with the 3DS on the train and it works pretty good. The current target demography of the Vita is tech-wise people that most likely already have a smartphone with a generous data plan so...

many providers (here in NA anyway) lock out phones from tethering or charge many extra $$ for it. another reason to jailbreak I guess

Suzzopher

get2sammyb said:
Fair enough, but I've fully been expecting this storm since Vita's announcement. I can understand why it dampens the mood for some people, but, ehhh, I don't know, I'm still hyped personally.

As for the remakes, there's still a lot of original content in the Vita's launch window. I don't want to come across overly defensive -- with my Wipeout avatar -- but it's just a shame people tar all the good that's come over the past eight months with a touch of the bad.

Amen brother :)

Xenon

Looks like I'm going to ebay for cheap chinese knock offs for memory again. I did the sme for the PSP.

beje

Banned
Shai-Tan said:
many providers (here in NA anyway) lock out phones from tethering or charge many extra $$ for it. another reason to jailbreak I guess

Well, that's a good point. Most of the times I forget such stuff because alternative/small mobile providers in Spain not only allow it, they also state so in their conditions and encourage you to use it if you ever need it. It's also cheap as hell (at least compared to big carriers), I'm only paying like 8€/month for 500MB.

Durante said:
Agreed! Now it would be interesting to know just how bright "default brightness" actually is.

Also, one funny thing about OLED is that the battery should last longer for horror games or gritty dark FPS than for a bright game like Katamari.

Yeah that's another factor to consider (Also OLED screens drain more power with full white than LCDs do!)

Uncharted has a nice mix of bright and dark areas, so that should be a good comparison when the system comes out! (now all we need to do is get someone to test it!)

Actually, I think that Reality Fighters could be the most demanding of all games shown so far.

AR Camera + Good (technically speaking!) graphics + WiFi (for multiplayer) + Bright (maybe even pure white) background = Huge battery hog!

I called it ages ago.

Not to get into "true price" shenanigans, but honestly, almost every single Vita owner is going to want internal storage for music, pictures, downloadable games etc.

The system's being sold at a loss and they're making up for it with memory, plain and simple. The Vita actually costs anywhere between $280 and $400 (3G plus 32 gig).

3-5 hours? looks like someone needs to make a battery expansion for the vita then.

I'm so use to my ipod battery only lasting 2 hours under 3d gaming that it doesn't hurt me very much now, still a poor life battery for a dedicated handheld though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My budget is $800 for this damn thing, so memory cards aren't a big issue. Wish there was a 64gb version though.

SykoTech

Woke up to much better news today than I did after the Nintendo conference. However, none of it really makes me want to buy a Vita (since FFX will be on PS3 too). Any new Gravity Daze footage floating around?

And memory cards? Screw that, seriously.

Raelson

StuBurns said:
The Japanese 3DS's don't have English language options do they? I don't think we can assume PSV will. I'd be really hesitant to import, region free or not.
You could see the language options at the conference when he first booted it up. You couldn't see that English was there but I'd of course assume so.

gogogow

TouchMyBox said:
In other words, lots of room for improvement in the battery life department, huh?
They'll just make the battery smaller when the 28nm SOC happens lol. Happened with PSP-2000 and DSi.

Midou

I don't have a problem with the 3DS or Vita battery life, since I essentially just play/will play both at home..

I guess ports/remakes early on are expected, like the 3DS had and still has, its easier to port/remake stuff at the start than make original titles after all. Least there is still stuff like Gravity Daze that looks cool.

Shai-Tan

Banned
get2sammyb said:

the signalling between people is important because for many the value is in what will actually come to the system which won't happen if there are too many barriers for it to be a success. hidden costs only work if the customer is unaware of it and I have a feeling overexpensive memory cards will drive word of mouth against the system so it's questionable then what they are actually gaining other than appeasing retailers with a big tax on digital. they need retail to succeed but they also need digital and more flexible pricing to compete in the games industry. maybe they get away with it in the release window from the must have day one crowd, maybe they always planned to drop prices after this but they have also been known to stick to their guns with proprietary tech in the past. if that's the case then they get to lay in the bed they have made.

1-D_FTW

Went through and read this thread. I still can't believe there are people still playing the "you don't need a memory card, you can save to the cart."

Why buys a freaking handheld for Uncharted carts? I realize there's a vocal gaf minority that's all about that, but it's a portable. 95 percent of what's good about the system will be done from the memory card (if the system is any damn good).

alstein

jman2050 said:
No seriously, what's going to happen 6 years from now when the next wave of handhelds come out?

Battery tech HAS to breakthrough at some point, right?

Seriously, Battery tech has been a big technical problem outside of the gaming field as well. It's a big reason why solar power hasn't taken off as much as it has.

Hopefully the demands of the gaming industry provide a real stimulus.

StuBurns

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Went through and read this thread. I still can't believe there are people still playing the "you don't need a memory card, you can save to the cart."

Why buys a freaking handheld for Uncharted carts? I realize there's a vocal gaf minority that's all about that, but it's a portable. 95 percent of what's good about the system will be done from the memory card (if the system is any damn good).
What are you talking about? Video and music? Meh.

Hopefully the USD prices for the memory cards won't be QUITE as high, but I'm still ready to spend whatever is necessary. I'm down for a WiFi Vita + 32GB stick day one. I was prepared to spend $350 for the hardware in the first place.

mclem

1-D_FTW said:

I'm failing to read this paragraph as anything other than "Who buys a freaking handheld system for handheld games?". Anyone able to help me out here?

Tobor

Vita's "true price" finally rears it's ugly head. It will end up being $299-350 for a Vita with a proper amount of storage.

I'm surprised by the amount of faux rage on the Vita memory card prices. This wasn't exactly surprising, proprietary memory on a much cheaper than expected device was always going to be more expensive than the cheapest form of memory. Anyway, I think the core $249 pack will be limited and a value pack with screen protector and 4GB card will be sold at $269. Just like PSP really...

Top Bottom