• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Dudes, I'll be hitting up your fine city in a couple months. Mostly for the Puerto Rican/Cuban food. La Taza De Oro (Chelsea) is my go to. Any recommendations for other good PR/Cuban places? Quiero mi arroz con habichuelas.

Kccitystar

Dudes, I'll be hitting up your fine city in a couple months. Mostly for the Puerto Rican/Cuban food. La Taza De Oro (Chelsea) is my go to. Any recommendations for other good PR/Cuban places? Quiero mi arroz con habichuelas.

Washington Heights. It's like a whole other world.

jasonng

Dat weather.

The meetup thread was archived. I guess we're now part of GAF history?
Hooray! Now everyone will know how much of a douche I am!

I'm still researching on cuban cuisine, I find that a lot of the exceptional ones here are holes in the wall. There are a few here downtown that I like but I may be biased since I grew up with them. If you're getting brunch on a weekend definitely hit up Calle Ocho. Their brunch is unlimited sangria with about 10 to 12 choices on a given day. You have to call in advance to reserve your table.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/calle-ocho-new-york#query:ocho y ocho

Any plans for another weekend NYC get together sometime in the near future? Bummed that I missed out on this one.
There was some talk about meeting up after a Nero show? You'd have to ask pxg and KC for that though.

Jhoan

Washington Heights. It's like a whole other world.
Exactly. Dejame Yo decirtelo en Español: Coje pa' El Malecón a comer arroz con habichuelas y bistec. You'll be in Dominican food heaven assuming you like eating it. Now I have a craving for a Cuban sandwich.

Jason's going to a bar this weekend from what I read to see a Starcraft final so that's a potentially small scale GAF meet up. The next official big GAF meet up looks like it's not going to be for a while. That said, it shouldn't keep Gaffers from meeting solely during meet ups. If any one felt like they made a new friend or two from the last 2 meet ups, then people should be hanging out regardless. And that weather! Got to get my ass to school.

Jhoan

I thought we were gonna plan a beer picnic/beerbq soon, too...

When it the weather stays at a stable 50 to mid 60s maybe (by next month hopefully). I'm not the one who's going to organize that one (nor did I propose it). That said, I would support it and bring stuff if it happens. Otherwise, I don't foresee that happening for another 2-3 months when the temperature gets much warmer. Although this is New York, so the weather's all over the place.

Hooray! Now everyone will know how much of a douche I am!

I'm still researching on cuban cuisine, I find that a lot of the exceptional ones here are holes in the wall. There are a few here downtown that I like but I may be biased since I grew up with them. If you're getting brunch on a weekend definitely hit up Calle Ocho. Their brunch is unlimited sangria with about 10 to 12 choices on a given day. You have to call in advance to reserve your table.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/calle-ocho-new-york#query:ocho y ocho

You had me at unlimited sangria. Hopefully some of you will be down to have a night on the town while I'm there!

PS: You're going to have a blast at the Pete and Pete show. My food truck was on hand when they did the show in LA, everyone came out at the end and grubbed on hot dogs. I kept holding out hope that Iggy Pop would show, but no dice.

Exactly. Dejame Yo decirtelo en Español: Coje pa' El Malecón a comer arroz con habichuelas y bistec. You'll be in Dominican food heaven assuming you like eating it. Now I have a craving for a Cuban sandwich.

coño que hambre. se me hace agua la boca. no me pueden mandar unos tostones por email? :<

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I hate making threads so I will just post in this one sad news. My dog just passed away he was only 7 years old in human years. Had a stroke this morning and just passed away. Really couldn't believe it. His name was Otto I always called him Ottoman because of the Simpsons. Sucks having a pet pass away. Sorry for making this thread really sad.

0dpou.jpg

I hate making threads so I will just post in this one sad news. My dog just passed away he was only 7 years old in human years. Had a stroke this morning and just passed away. Really couldn't believe it. His name was Otto I always called him Ottoman because of the Simpsons. Sucks having a pet pass away. Sorry for making this thread really sad.

Goddamn man, I'm really sorry. He looks like a great friend.

New York GAF!

This friday my production company is hosting our monthly Short Film Night at the Producers Club in Hell's Kitchen. We have a slate of short films from NYC filmmakers (and elsewhere). I think we have 4 Q&A's accompanying four of the films. Tickets are $5 and after we usually hang out in the bar/lounge downstairs from the theater (beers are $4/5).

The Producers Club is at 44th & 9th. We start showing films at 8:30 (should show up at 8).

It's a fun night and good a networking experience if you're a filmmaker.

***Only note we may sell out so come early if possible. If I have to kick some crew/actors out of their seats, I will ;)

El Sloth

Banned
It always sucks when a pet dies. You say you'll be ready for it when it happens when you first get them, but it really doesn't ever make it easier. He looked like a great dog too. Don't let it get you too down, bro.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Here with whitehawk at Irish Exot come down.

El Sloth thank you. I know it was gonna happen but it sucks so young. He was my buddy.

Omega

Banned
Too many guidos and hipsters

Ugh, I don't see how anyone with any sense of dignity can say "coffee" as "cAAAAAWWWffe." Granted, the Long Island accent is even worse.

As I'm reading through this thread's first page, the posts get more ridiculous and absurd. This just takes the crown though. Probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read in my life.

bob page

can anyone recommend a good spot in manhattan tomorrow night around midnight no cover?

Tons of places on St. Marks don't charge cover but I'm sure I'll get flak for even mentioning that.

Also, OP updated with some places recommended from the past few pages.

jasonng

Does anyone know where I can get the best pulled pork sandwiches? I am trying to find some whole in the walls but I have been unlucky in my search.

Joe

Tons of places on St. Marks don't charge cover but I'm sure I'll get flak for even mentioning that.

Also, OP updated with some places recommended from the past few pages.

awesome, thank you. is there something about st. marks that i should know?

Xun

Sorry to hear about his death.

R.I.P. Otto. :(

Meadows

Banned
Reading a book on New York's Chinatown.

Man, your Chinese population put up with a lot of shit in the early 1900s.

And the Chinese male immigrants swagged the fuck out of the white female middle class population.

awesome, thank you. is there something about st. marks that i should know?

It's where all the dumbass kids with fake IDs go to drink and act like the dumbass kids they are, so unless you're underage or still behave like someone who is, not recommended.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Forgot to mention these earlier, but for the guy that was looking for Spanish food in the city try:

Sazon or Sofrito, they're by the same people. Food is pretty good.

Don Coqui is better than both. It also has the most beast pernil dish in the city, don't say I didn't warn you. There's a location in New Rochelle (the original) and another in Astoria.

Those are more restaurants where as I feel Malecon and Caridad or more like Dominican diners.

This thread is a BIG help! My wife and I are coming from Atlanta and spending WAY too much money to do the "Times Square hotel experience" from March 18th to March 22nd. Here's hoping winter doesn't make a dramatic return (appearance?). We're seeing Gomez on the 19th at the Brooklyn Bowl, the Lion King on the 20th (birthday present from mom), and seeing The Cat Empire at Webster Hall on the 21st (the whole reason for going, as they won't come to Atlanta anymore).

I saw some food trucks listed and they're normally the place to go, but where can my wife and I find the absolute BEST tacos al pastor?

We also need a recommendation for the one night we're going to spend too much money on a fancy meal. We like lots of stuff, but the wife is allergic to gluten (wheat, barley, & rye).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This thread is a BIG help! My wife and I are coming from Atlanta and spending WAY too much money to do the "Times Square hotel experience" from March 18th to March 22nd. Here's hoping winter doesn't make a dramatic return (appearance?). We're seeing Gomez on the 19th at the Brooklyn Bowl, the Lion King on the 20th (birthday present from mom), and seeing The Cat Empire at Webster Hall on the 21st (the whole reason for going, as they won't come to Atlanta anymore).

I saw some food trucks listed and they're normally the place to go, but where can my wife and I find the absolute BEST tacos al pastor?

We also need a recommendation for the one night we're going to spend too much money on a fancy meal. We like lots of stuff, but the wife is allergic to gluten (wheat, barley, & rye).

Times Square Hotel experience!?

Are you nuts? I know you're a tourist here but even you will be annoyed BY the tourists here. That and it's probably a really retarded amount of money. Oh well enjoy.

Brooklyn Bowl is awesome. I've never had a bad time there.

Entrement: Dino BBQ is lame as hell. I do, however, really enjoy Hill Country.

bob page

I'm allergic to gluten as well. Usually, with higher-end places in the city, you can ask them to make special accommodations if their sauces, etc have gluten. One of the good things about NYC is that so many people are nutrition-conscious and/or have gluten intolerance, so finding a suitable place isn't entirely impossible anymore.

Oh, and if you're looking for a last-minute hotel in Manhattan, HotelTonight.com has an app that has seriously discounted hotel deals (up to 50% off sometimes) if you book the day-of.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Keen's Steakhouse.

Or you could do the legendary Peter Lugers, I've never been so I can't say whether it's good or not. Keen's is in the Times Square area tho.

Top Bottom