• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Donos

booked Berlin > NYC flight with gf a day ago.. We stay end of April till 6th May.
Some hints for a rather cheap *lol* stay ? (hostels, if possible not with 10 ppl in one room ;)

Also what are some things to see beside the usual tourist stuff?

Will be coming to New York this summer (June) and I've got a couple of questions.

- How hot can I expect it to be?
- How much does a week's travelcard cost?

number47

This thread is a BIG help! My wife and I are coming from Atlanta and spending WAY too much money to do the "Times Square hotel experience" from March 18th to March 22nd. Here's hoping winter doesn't make a dramatic return (appearance?). We're seeing Gomez on the 19th at the Brooklyn Bowl, the Lion King on the 20th (birthday present from mom), and seeing The Cat Empire at Webster Hall on the 21st (the whole reason for going, as they won't come to Atlanta anymore).

I saw some food trucks listed and they're normally the place to go, but where can my wife and I find the absolute BEST tacos al pastor?

We also need a recommendation for the one night we're going to spend too much money on a fancy meal. We like lots of stuff, but the wife is allergic to gluten (wheat, barley, & rye).

if gluten free, i can recommend some vegan places for your taste buds.
also as a part of gaf gold, we now welcome you as you come out of the airport.

jasonng

So this is interesting. There's a kickstarter for LowLine, New York's first potential underground park. NYC ballers unite!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/855802805/lowline-an-underground-park-on-nycs-lower-east-sid

What is the LowLine?
We want to transform an abandoned trolley terminal on the Lower East Side of Manhattan into the world’s first underground park. It will be a new kind of public space, using solar technology for natural illumination, and cutting edge design to capture and highlight a very special industrial space.

A park… underground?!?
Ever wonder why there's so little green space in New York? There aren’t a lot of empty plots of land just waiting to be turned into new parks. New Yorkers have had to be a little more creative, and must look in unusual places – the High Line, a park built on an old elevated rail trestle, is a great example.

A few years ago, we learned about a massive unused former trolley terminal in our neighborhood, the Lower East Side. We got to thinking: what if we could build a park-- underground-- even if the space lacked natural sunlight? So we explored using fiber optic cables to transfer sunlight below ground-- to support the growth of plants and trees. As we shared this idea with others, people got excited. "An underground High Line for the Lower East Side," they'd say. "Kind of like... a LowLine." The nickname stuck.

Actually, I'm debating of making a new thread for this.

Edit: And I did!

Hey New Yorkers,

I'm an Australian moving to the greatest city on earth in around June or July, and i'm wondering where is the best place to start looking to get a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment?

I've been looking in Brooklyn and want to spend around $1500 per month, i've stayed in Bushwick & Park Slope and Crown Heights before. Really liked Park Slope, but i'm sure it's out of my budget, Bushwick was fine but Crown Heights was a bit gnarly.

Joe

23rd is impossible for me, 24th is possible. I'm 50/50 so don't put too much stock into my preferences.

Every gaf meetup is Friday! Lol

Mully

23rd is impossible for me, 24th is possible. I'm 50/50 so don't put too much stock into my preferences.

Every gaf meetup is Friday! Lol

Haha we should just schedule one for every month. It'd be nice to get a regular group going. Have some special guests (Evilore and Eviolore), go to different bars throughout the city and just fuck around.

Donos

Hey guys do you know good drum and bass clubs in nyc?
And good clubs in general with "electronic" music?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Haha we should just schedule one for every month. It'd be nice to get a regular group going. Have some special guests (Evilore and Eviolore), go to different bars throughout the city and just fuck around.

We should once every few months blows. Twice every month or even once a month. Twice in one week was awesome. Walking into the gaf and everyone going SMOKEYYYYY. Feels so good. End of every month meet up.

bob page

Hey New Yorkers,

I'm an Australian moving to the greatest city on earth in around June or July, and i'm wondering where is the best place to start looking to get a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment?

I've been looking in Brooklyn and want to spend around $1500 per month, i've stayed in Bushwick & Park Slope and Crown Heights before. Really liked Park Slope, but i'm sure it's out of my budget, Bushwick was fine but Crown Heights was a bit gnarly.

Astoria would probably fit your budget. $1500 in BK won't get you much in Park Slope unless you're in a less desirable area or have a roommate. I live in East Williamsburg / edge of Bushwick and pay $1700, but the neighborhood isn't that amazing. I'll be getting out of here when my lease is up.

Astoria would probably fit your budget. $1500 in BK won't get you much in Park Slope unless you're in a less desirable area or have a roommate. I live in East Williamsburg / edge of Bushwick and pay $1700, but the neighborhood isn't that amazing. I'll be getting out of here when my lease is up.
thanks. ill look into Astoria. Hadnt really considered queens. Whats a good real estate site to start looking for rentals?

bob page

thanks. ill look into Astoria. Hadnt really considered queens. Whats a good real estate site to start looking for rentals?

I only ever use Craigslist- just search for no-fee listings on there and you're set.

I'm actually probably going to move to Astoria this year, too. You can find 1BR new construction apartments for around $2000.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

Where will you be working? I live in Queens and wish I worked in midtown. It would save me 20-30 minutes each way which may not seem like a lot, but is a pain.

I work in the Financial District and living in Brooklyn would cut my commute in half.

pj

Banned
I've been looking at the west side of crown heights as my next place to live. It's still fairly cheap, close to lots of trains, close to the park, fair amount of stuff to do. There are quite a few 1BRs for 1250-1500 in the area west of Bedford ave. I'm currently living in a $2500 2br converted studio in williamsburg, and need to gtfo of here asap. Living here is not worth the cost.

I just started using pad mapper, which makes it easier to look in specific areas, although it obviously can only show listings that give cross streets.

http://www.padmapper.com/

Mully

We should once every few months blows. Twice every month or even once a month. Twice in one week was awesome. Walking into the gaf and everyone going SMOKEYYYYY. Feels so good. End of every month meet up.

Totally. Maybe we could do it the final weekend of every month?

Mully

Alrighty. So we'll have a meetup Friday, March 30. I'm thinking at the Radegast Biergarten, then bar crawl around there. Hopefully some people will be interested.

Davidion

Hey guys do you know good drum and bass clubs in nyc?
And good clubs in general with "electronic" music?

Williamsburg. And you're basically going to look for the Koncrete Jungle party at the Cove; Drum n bass isn't big enough in NY for a club full of it. Keep an eye out for parties at Sullivan Room also.

What genres are you interested in?

-PXG-

Alrighty. So we'll have a meetup Friday, March 30. I'm thinking at the Radegast Biergarten, then bar crawl around there. Hopefully some people will be interested.

Ummmm...some of us are going to Nero on the 31st. Make it before or after the show :D

Make it the 31st and a bonny Scotsman all the way from Edinburgh can join in the fun.

figure-5.png

Mully

So based on everyone who has commented so far, I'm thinking our next GAF meet up will be on March 31, 2012. I believe we should start the meet up at the Radegast Hall and Biergarten in Williamsburg at 9PM and then work our way north up Bedford Avenue. There are a ton of bars over there and I’m sure if it gets uninteresting we can all stumble over to Manhattan. Below, I’ve provided a map of Williamsburg and where the Biergarten is located.

The Radegast Hall and Biergarten is on the corner of 3rd and Berry in Brooklyn, and is a great place to start everything off. It’s not a crowded bar like GAF West and offers a festive atmosphere to start us off on the right foot. It’s in Williamsburg though, so expect hipster prices for the more exotic beers.

esq-radegast-0609-lg.jpg

I'm going to talk to KC and everyone else that organized the last meetup, but I think this is a pretty good plan. If anyone has any suggestions for our next meetup, it would be a big help. Especially since I was unable to attend the legendary February meetup, there are probably other people who know the ins and outs of it better than me.

Mahonay

Banned
I would totally be on board for the plan Mully just laid out. That general area would be fantastic for a GAF meetup and it's easy to get to (first stop in Brooklyn coming from Manhattan on the L line).

If this is a go you can count me in. I am definitely free that weekend.

This would also be a great build up to PAX East taking place the weekend after.

El Sloth

Banned
http://nycopendata.socrata.com/

About NYC Open Data
NYC Open Data makes the wealth of public data generated by various New York City agencies and other City organizations available for public use. As part of an initiative to improve the accessibility, transparency, and accountability of City government, this catalog offers access to a repository of government-produced, machine-readable data sets.

Anyone can use these data sets to participate in and improve government by conducting research and analysis or creating applications, thereby gaining a better understanding of the services provided by City agencies and improving the lives of citizens and the way in which government serves them.

The data sets are available in a variety of machine-readable formats and are refreshed when new data becomes available. Data is presented by category, by City agency, or by other City organization. Descriptions of the data, the collection method, and other contextual material, called metadata, make the data sets easier to understand and use. Use of these data sets and how they are generated can be better understood by reading the Terms of Use.​

Just something I figured a couple of folks here would find cool/useful.

Jhoan

Just keep in mind that the L train may not run during weekends. That would be a huge problem for a lot of us.

Agreed, especially if it's after 11PM because the A train would take ages to get down to 14th street. I'm open to the idea however because I've never been to WilliamsburgHipsterburg and rarely go to Brooklyn, so that would be cool.

Otherwise as an alternate plan, I'll propose to meet up with -PXG-, KC and the other Gaffers that are going to the Nero concert after the concert is over at the Roseland Ballroom and go from there. My only concert with that is again heading downtown after 11 which would be a pain in the ass unless we were to go to a bar that's near the venue early.

I *might* go to Barcade on St. Patrick's Day to attend an NYC Game Industry meet up because they're meeting up there from 7 until it closes. I say might because I've been lazy/hesitant to go to the last meet ups despite meaning to go. If anyone wants to meet up on St. Patrick's Day then I'll be down for that no problem at all; I'll even wear green.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the L is done with construction for the time being.
I definitely do not miss living off that line. Taking those shuttle buses with thousands of other people is a fucking nightmare.

Glad to see it will be running that weekend though.

Jhoan

Sounds like a plan then. Since it's the first stop off the L train, hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to find.

Mahonay

Banned
The day they were giving lunch away for free was amazing.
Damn, I always miss good shit like this.

They did open a Schnipper's kitchen nearby recently and for a day you could buy any two items on their menu for two dollars each. Considering everything on that menu is between $6 and $9 it was a pretty amazing deal.

The only free thing I seem to get around the city is during the summer when all of the beverage companies are out on corners handing out free bottles.

I suppose I did go to a Yelp event on this man-made beach set up by the river where alcohol companies where giving out free samples of their new cocktails. They also had free burgers and BBQ. Man did I ever get hammered. I can't really bitch too much...

bob page

Better be a damn good Halal cart. I have a Rafiqi's truck just a couple blocks from work and there never seems to be more than 2 or 3 people waiting.

Rafiqi's is awesome- they have one a few blocks from my office, as well (on 38th). I actually prefer it to Halal Guys since they have more toppings.

I went to Fort Tryon Park today- it was indeed excellent (especially with this weather). Pretty surreal place, didn't feel like NYC at all.

I'll try to be there on the 31st guys. Can't promise. Last time was a blast, but it was bad for me lol. Will try to not drink as much if I go again.

Mahonay

Banned
I'll try to be there on the 31st guys. Can't promise. Last time was a blast, but it was bad for me lol. Will try to not drink as much if I go again.
Set a number of drinks you'll keep to for the entire night. That's what I do on nights I don't want to get shit hammered. Makes it easy to pace yourself out. I don't exactly set an exact number but for instance I'll just know in the back of my head I need to stop at beer 5 or 6 if I don't want to get that drunk.

Top Bottom